New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece V: Black Leg Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I do think it could better, and there's a lot of implications of how the story plays out that are unfortunate, but also very clearly not intended at all. Kyros's motivation for not wanting his daughter to fight is because she is his precious adorable good daughter who he doesn't want to get hurt, and unfortunately this comes off as "ladies should stay in the kitchen" because Kyros is rude and gruff about it. It's a real shame because their story on the whole is actually very good, Kyros being this bloody violent gladiator who can barely stand to hold his own daughter because "she is so pure and innocent, I do not want to stain her with my bloody hands." That's actually a really powerful message, and it's a shame that in practice the writing didn't quite hit as well as it could of.
    Probably has more to do with the fact that Oda doesn't like to write/draw women fighting since his daughter was born. Or so I've heard anyway.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Probably has more to do with the fact that Oda doesn't like to write/draw women fighting since his daughter was born. Or so I've heard anyway.
    Doesn't seem to have a problem with Nami or Robin. Or Monet.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: new chapter
    Show

Well, the Strawhats are dead. For sure now. So is the rest of the world. All will end eaten up by Mom. What a way to go... Too bad.

I guess Mom really is pretty effing scary again.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

If I may interject for a moment on a minor point, it's honestly not that hard to get names right, especially when those names are plastered all over the place wherever you'd find these characters AND literally everyone else that posts here spells it correctly on a consistent basis. If you cannot get it correct despite both of these facts over an extended period of time then I have to question your observation skills.
    If you to start with are not aware of that memory is something that works differently from person to person, then your really not in any position to question something as subjective as observation skill...

A wiki is more than reliable in this case, you're being absurd. I've done more than enough to support my argument. Kyros doesn't show the ability of Haki. It's more reasonable to assume he doesn't have it than to make adhoc justifications. And what Sigh said, if you've read the series and everyone is spelling the name correctly...the name isn't that unfamiliar.
    There you go making assumptions again. The name might not be that unfamiliar in your part of the world. That does not mean anyone in my part of the world is called that.
    And it also returns to, that when the ability of Haki is not always visible, then you cant say if he is showing the ability or not.

Oh...this is good. Firstly, I didn't say "always visibly black", I said Oda STARTED TO USE BLACK TO SHOW ARMAMENT HAKI USE. STARTED. You found the singular page where it doesn't happen to try and drag my argument down, when it wasn't even my argument. A+. You'd have a point if, literally the next panel, wasn't the character going "CRAP!!! HAKI!". Considering that art is a visual medium it's good to show and tell when you can't show. Do you want to go further into those chapters where Vergo is very clearly covered in shiny black? Or Luffy's arms when fighting Ceaser? No? Ok then.
    Sorry, but to start with caps dont make you more right. And if you cant keep your composure and discus this like a rational adult then i have better things to do than get into shouting matches on the internet.
    That they litterally the next next panel points out she used haki there is hard evidence off how its not always visible when used. And in the same arc we get people like Vergo, who are denoted for having a superior level of Haki to most other people show off the black effect, then it is more evidence towards that it is only strong manifestations of Haki that get the black effect.

1. No they didn't, they needed to be taught how to refine it. Specifically Zoro needed to be taught how to use it on his swords opposed to his body. We're never told if Sanji needed to learn how to use his Haki. The Okama didn't mention it.

2. Yeah, we don't. But it's less reasonable to presume he does. Which isn't what you're doing.

3. No it's not. You're making crap up again. Nowhere in the series does it say one has to be trained to do Haki. On the contrary, Silvers says it's a natural thing but not everyone will come to understand how to use it themselves.
    1. Yes they did. None of them were able to make concious use of haki like a trainer user. Not before the timeskip. Afterwards they all have observation Haki that they can understand and use.

2. Its not logical to presume that without any sort of evidence. But we do have that, your just refusing to acknowledge it.

3. Sorry, but just because you specifically refuses to recognise something does not make it crap thats made up. We got straight up observations from the manga that most users who got any sort of concious control got that control because they have been trained by someone else. Whats really crap is the notion that Rebecca could achive that sort of skill on her own in such a short while.

More assertions without anything to back it up.
    Oh really.. ? have we been reading the same manga? have you mentally been blocking out all the bits Zorro were in since water 7?

No it's not. Your posthoc rationalizing again.
    Ahh.. now you cant even manage to form a counter argument? I will considder that point conceded then.

Nope.
    Ohh really.. ? care to explain then.. how the fact that there are at least 2 people holding an oppinion does not prove you wrong on that it was only held by a single person?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #185
    Colossus in the Playground

New chapter, stop arguing about who's dumber for a second.
    Spoiler
    Show

Big Mom WANT CAKE. Pudding is NOT A GOOD GUY despite all that happened, which I think is pretty cool. There's a good chance Brooke's "trump card" with Prometheus is the only way their getting out of this alive.

In the cover arc, Bartolomeo is about to meet Shanks which will be fantastic. All in all, a great chapter. BREAK NEXT WEEK ARGH.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show

Big Mom WANT CAKE. Pudding is NOT A GOOD GUY despite all that happened, which I think is pretty cool. There's a good chance Brooke's "trump card" with Prometheus is the only way their getting out of this alive.

In the cover arc, Bartolomeo is about to meet Shanks which will be fantastic. All in all, a great chapter. BREAK NEXT WEEK ARGH.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well we don't know she's definitely still bad, she is a very good actor after all and has possibly just changed who the audience is.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, this week I didn't really pay attention to the cover arc. Yes, this could be interesting...

Also, agreeing with wolf on pudding. Not sure what her plans or motivation really is here...

Also: effects you dumb break.
    "What's done is done."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I mean it's certainly Shanks's Jolly Roger, but can't that simply be a territory that's under his protection?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

9. - Top - End - #189

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean it's certainly Shanks's Jolly Roger, but can't that simply be a territory that's under his protection?
    Spoiler
    Show
    They are 100% going to run straight into Shanks and it's going to be great because Shanks will be alternatively thrilled Luffy's this popular and absolutely disgusted by how stupid the Barto club is. It's going to be wonderful.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well we don't know she's definitely still bad, she is a very good actor after all and has possibly just changed who the audience is.
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    Alternatively, she might think Sanji wasn't being genuine, and said it to just throw her for a loop. It strikes me as a conclusion Pudding would jump to, considering its her entire MO.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    They are 100% going to run straight into Shanks and it's going to be great because Shanks will be alternatively thrilled Luffy's this popular and absolutely disgusted by how stupid the Barto club is. It's going to be wonderful.
    Additionally, I mean the dude's funny, but isn't Barto either still kind of evil or someone with a mean streak at best? It would be interesting to see how Shanks would react once he realizes this jerk fanboy is now a part of Luffy's crew
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

12. - Top - End - #192

Is it possible he will recognize barto as one of the people who helped out at dressrosa and put up with him at the least? I mean stories have to have gotten around past the new bounties for the straw hats. And he DID play a decent role in the battle. It was primarily backup and watching the backs of the crew here and there but yeah.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Additionally, I mean the dude's funny, but isn't Barto either still kind of evil or someone with a mean streak at best? It would be interesting to see how Shanks would react once he realizes this jerk fanboy is now a part of Luffy's crew
    People called him evil but he's pretty much just a class A jerk and takes no shots lying down. If Shanks walks up to him I can see him being dumb to try and step up with a puffed chest but it'd all be calmed pretty easily if Shanks sees the Luffy-themed merch.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

I don't understand why people think Shanks would care. Just because Shanks was nice to Luffy doesn't mean that applies to everyone. Whitebeard's crew was terrified of him and not just because of the Conquerors Haki. He also wouldn't be a Yonko if he were virtuous and kind. He's a pirate. He didn't stop the war because he was nice, he stopped the war because of Kaido.

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I don't understand why people think Shanks would care. Just because Shanks was nice to Luffy doesn't mean that applies to everyone. Whitebeard's crew was terrified of him and not just because of the Conquerors Haki. He also wouldn't be a Yonko if he were virtuous and kind. He's a pirate. He didn't stop the war because he was nice, he stopped the war because of Kaido.
    I wonder why Shanks, who is great friends with Luffy and wants him to get better, would care about the first example of Luffy finally truly getting powerful?

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder why Shanks, who is great friends with Luffy and wants him to get better, would care about the first example of Luffy finally truly getting powerful?
    I was referencing this part of the discussion. Not about Luffy getting stronger. We already know how Shanks feels about that.
    Last edited by Razade; 2017-07-24 at 03:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197

I was referencing this part of the discussion. Not about Luffy getting stronger. We already know how Shanks feels about that.
    Yes, which is why I think he'll be cool with Barto because he's the first real sign that Luffy's getting somewhere.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Because no pirate in OP is kind. I mean, like, every instance we have seen Shanks and his crew they have been terrifying, right?
    Sorry, I absolutely fail to follow your logic.
    I mean, I can see Shanks getting just annoyed because that is a possible reaction to Bart, or maybe he never mentions his fanboying and Bart gets his behind kicked because he can be such a pain... I'm not sure how this can go.
    But your interpretation on Shanks?!
    "What's done is done."

19. - Top - End - #199

Yes, which is why I think he'll be cool with Barto because he's the first real sign that Luffy's getting somewhere.
    I would expect the steadily upgraded bounty signs would cover that already. However, being able to talk to someone directly involved in one of his biggest adventures to date would probably get barto offered a drink.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

20. - Top - End - #200

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I would expect the steadily upgraded bounty signs would cover that already. However, being able to talk to someone directly involved in one of his biggest adventures to date would probably get barto offered a drink.
    And then Barto will go "wait you're THAT Shanks???" and explode into a fangasm and Shanks will twitch a little and bear this and IT WILL BE ENJOYABLE AND GOOD. I love it.

21. - Top - End - #201

So I stumbled across a random one piece clip. This one, and I have to ask, HOW?! What I know of One Piece is basically random battles with a little exposition, HOW DID THAT MAKE ME CRY?!!

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

So I stumbled across a random one piece clip. This one, and I have to ask, HOW?! What I know of One Piece is basically random battles with a little exposition, HOW DID THAT MAKE ME CRY?!!
    Because Eiichiro Oda deserves to be knighted or whatever the Japanese equivalent is I mean, sure, he makes mistakes, but usually his writing is good and when it's excellent it's hard for anyone to compare, frankly especially in condensed moments like this.
    "What's done is done."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's the magic of the series.
    All those crazy fights and weird characters and then it makes you cry for a friggin ship.
    One of the reasons I love One Piece.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

24. - Top - End - #204

I just had to share that. I dont know how the manga readers reacted to that same scene. I mean, with the voices, and the emotion and all that it was heart breaking, im not sure how effective it was in written form. But aside from that, the random questions continue!!!! At marineford, after luffy makes his grand entrance, and "protects" whitebeard from crocodile, they get into it a bit with each other. Is whitebeard aware of all that luffy has been up to? Or does he still think he is a 30 mil small fry that ace showed him the bounty picture of in a flashback? I mean, he goes into quite the rant about how quick he will die in this kind of battle, and too be fair, he isnt wrong, but I was just wondering if he actually knew what level luffy was at at that moment as opposed to thinking he was some barely bounty worthy noob. I think he was 100 million by that point, not sure if it was more or not. Still fairly small potatoes for this sort of thing, but not meaningless.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

At marineford, after luffy makes his grand entrance, and "protects" whitebeard from crocodile, they get into it a bit with each other. Is whitebeard aware of all that luffy has been up to? Or does he still think he is a 30 mil small fry that ace showed him the bounty picture of in a flashback? I mean, he goes into quite the rant about how quick he will die in this kind of battle, and too be fair, he isnt wrong, but I was just wondering if he actually knew what level luffy was at at that moment as opposed to thinking he was some barely bounty worthy noob. I think he was 100 million by that point, not sure if it was more or not. Still fairly small potatoes for this sort of thing, but not meaningless.
    He only knows what Ace and Shanks have told him. It's even in the anime, where it shows flashbacks of Ace and Shanks talking about Luffy, if he knew more it's not discussed in the series. Luffy was at 300 million Berry by the time of The War at Marineford and it was updated to 400 million afterwards. Considering there are New World Pirates with Bounties in the billion marks. So a even 300 million is small beans. It doesn't matter though, Whitebeard was just trying to intimidate Luffy.

also some nice side info. Some of it regarding The War at Marineford.

26. - Top - End - #206

He only knows what Ace and Shanks have told him. It's even in the anime, where it shows flashbacks of Ace and Shanks talking about Luffy, if he knew more it's not discussed in the series. Luffy was at 300 million Berry by the time of The War at Marineford and it was updated to 400 million afterwards. Considering there are New World Pirates with Bounties in the billion marks. So a even 300 million is small beans. It doesn't matter though, Whitebeard was just trying to intimidate Luffy.

also some nice side info. Some of it regarding The War at Marineford.

Fair enough, I figured it was primarily to test luffy and see if he would fold easy or not, I just wasnt sure how aware of luffy he was. I mean yeah, 300 mill isnt exactly huge money on the whitebeard scale, but its also not exactly something handed out to every tom **** and ARRRRey. You have to actually accomplish stuff to reach it. Still not even remotely admiral level but way above fodder. And if he had been aware of WHAT luffy had done to earn that bounty, it would have been more obviously just a test. Lets face it, declaring war on the world government and decimating enis lobby, escaping impel down, defeating croc, these are all signs of someone not exactly useless at marineford. Not quite up to whitebeards commander levels, but honestly not that far. But since all he knew about was the 30 mill starting bounty, he might have honestly been trying to make luffy back down. Because that IS fodder level.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Fair enough, I figured it was primarily to test luffy and see if he would fold easy or not, I just wasnt sure how aware of luffy he was. I mean yeah, 300 mill isnt exactly huge money on the whitebeard scale, but its also not exactly something handed out to every tom **** and ARRRRey. You have to actually accomplish stuff to reach it. Still not even remotely admiral level but way above fodder. And if he had been aware of WHAT luffy had done to earn that bounty, it would have been more obviously just a test. Lets face it, declaring war on the world government and decimating enis lobby, escaping impel down, defeating croc, these are all signs of someone not exactly useless at marineford. Not quite up to whitebeards commander levels, but honestly not that far. But since all he knew about was the 30 mill starting bounty, he might have honestly been trying to make luffy back down. Because that IS fodder level.
    Escaping Impel Down is one of the reasons he got his bounty bumped up to 400 million berry. Alongside defeating Moriah and partaking in the War at Marineford. So I doubt Whitebeard would know about that, as it happened while Whitebeard was sailing right to Marineford.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, Mama's familiars do share her basic personality traits...

Loved Prometeus going all Majora's Mask on the heroes.
    Last edited by Braininthejar2; 2017-08-04 at 07:46 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209

New chapter!

Spoiler
    Show
    Big Mom engages with our heroes, and tragically it seems Baum is roasted to death. Though we also see that Nami can disable Zeus rather effectively, so that's cool.

We also see that Pudding HAS had a change of heart. She needs Chiffon's cake so she can prevent Sanji and his friends from being hurt or killed by Big Mom. I am a littlte disappointed by this, but it's fine.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Bugbear in the Playground

I actually hope Baum is dead... he's been losing body parts for the last 20 chapters or so.