New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece V: Black Leg Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    There's so much wrong in that assumption.

1. The largest force in the world has almost sole control over Sea Stone Production. Sea Stone is a liability to their own forces, why would they mass produce it? It destroys their own power by proliferating it or allowing others to do the same. Why would you let someone hand out tools that basically make your top people useless? You don't.

2. Sea Stone is rare and it's more useful for other things. Containing Devil Fruit Users is more important than being able to fight them. Because for one thing Devil Fruit Users are rare in the world, not rare in the story. Why spread a lot of weapons to fight a foe that you can fight via other methods? Logia are explicitly the most rare of all Devil Fruits (Under Mythical Zoan but w/e), wasting Sea Stone on the possibility of one is a terrible terrible tactic.

3. Haki. Haki is something people can use and doesn't require resources, time or special tools.

4. Calm Belt Navigation. We're told that's where the majority of Sea Stone goes into. Bottom of boats so the Marines can have unparalleled navigation abilities around the world.

5. Vegapunk. We're told that he's the one who created the idea of coating the bottom of the ships the Marines have with Sea Stone in the first place and he discovered how to manipulate it in the first place. Research the World Government undoubtedly wouldn't want to share.

Seastone is rare but not that rare. All Navy ships have Seastone bottoms. Dressrossa has an entire building constructed with the stuff. There's more Seastone in Onepiece than there is Gold in the real world.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    Seastone is rare but not that rare. All Navy ships have Seastone bottoms. Dressrossa has an entire building constructed with the stuff. There's more Seastone in Onepiece than there is Gold in the real world.
    It's rare enough for a single organization to have an out and out monopoly on it. They call it rare in the series as well, so who are we to disagree?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Well given the shows themes, its probably the One Piece being some super weapon that can control the entire oceans of the entire planet.

like, Oda once said that the One Piece wasn't some cliched friendship or Luffy's hat, and since the four pirate emperors are really strong and only respect strength, what could possibly give someone enough strength to be an uncontested King of All Pirates? what could possibly be so great that the Navy itself would cover up an entire century? what could possibly be so great that it would override all the devil fruit powers? complete control over the ocean. its the one power that no one has, and if anyone did have, would:
    -completely destroy any Devil Fruit user
    -would destroy anyone sailing a ship, IE everyone
    -flood any island.
    -would explain a great and powerful civilization that once existed but fell- they basically created the greatest super weapon of the One Piece world and used it to rule everything, and of course the Navy covers it up because do you really want people knowing about and thus going after a powerful super weapon that could single-handedly destroy the Navy?
    -makes perfect sense for both Gold Roger and Luffy to not use at all, given that Gold Roger was an adventurer who was dying and Luffy is in it for the journey not the destination.
    -makes perfect sense for Blackbeard/lava admiral to use if he ever gets it and decides he wants to rule the world
    -makes perfect sense for Gold Roger to encourage people to find it as a screw you to the Navy, as it increases the chances of someone finding it who could actually hold onto the One Piece longer and use it.
    -gives EVERYONE a reason to find it and fight over it.
    -suitably epic conclusion to it all that makes perfect sense while at the same time making sure Luffy wouldn't actually use such a thing, because Luffy is too focused on the journey to want to use such a weapon.
    -after all, it can't be mere gold or treasure, since Nami gets those all the time, what would be point of one more shiny trinket?
    -it can't be a symbolic thing, since Pirates wouldn't respect that, they respect the Emperors because they're strong and competent, and thus very little reason to fight over it.
    -could be named because it makes all the oceans in the world "one piece you control."
    -makes perfect sense that controlling water in a world of water would be a story breaker power and thus best left for the final chapter/arc.
    I just figured the void century was the government erasing the horrible truth about how they came to power and what terrifying crimes they committed to get there. Basically, they erased the entire change over of government from history just to keep the moral high ground and not be looked at for the terrifying monsters they are. Alternatively it could be the use of the "ancient weapons" that wiped out most of civilization, leaving them to pick up the pieces and they cant risk knowledge that deadly getting out ever again. Like, imagine if we had some horrific world wide nuclear war. We dropped bombs big enough and numerous enough to shatter landmasses, erase entire nations, flood the world with massive tsunamis created by flash melted and boiled ice caps. Only a few scattered remnants survived. The world government took over, and ruthlessly suppressed and destroyed all knowledge of these times until all thats left are vague legends on ancient weapons, powerful beyond belief. The entire century no records were kept, or at least, none publicly available, thus creating whats known as the void century.

As for One Piece, I know its not the case, but I really liked the idea of it being gol d rogers adventure log. It would fit so well with the theme of luffy and why he is after one piece in the first place. He isnt after wealth, fame or power. he isnt after control, or lordship. He wants to be the king of the pirates because that makes him the freest man in the world. And being able to read the adventures the previous king went on, the man who is so much like luffy everyone who ever knew roger notices it, would probably be a pretty huge deal to luffy. Yeah yeah, its cliched, but things become cliches for a reason. Because they are awesome. After all, just look at us! We are enjoying reading what amounts to luffys ships log. The details of all his adventures from the very start to the finish line. And its awesome!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

There's so much wrong in that assumption.

1. The largest force in the world has almost sole control over Sea Stone Production. Sea Stone is a liability to their own forces, why would they mass produce it? It destroys their own power by proliferating it or allowing others to do the same. Why would you let someone hand out tools that basically make your top people useless? You don't.

2. Sea Stone is rare and it's more useful for other things. Containing Devil Fruit Users is more important than being able to fight them. Because for one thing Devil Fruit Users are rare in the world, not rare in the story. Why spread a lot of weapons to fight a foe that you can fight via other methods? Logia are explicitly the most rare of all Devil Fruits (Under Mythical Zoan but w/e), wasting Sea Stone on the possibility of one is a terrible terrible tactic.

3. Haki. Haki is something people can use and doesn't require resources, time or special tools.

4. Calm Belt Navigation. We're told that's where the majority of Sea Stone goes into. Bottom of boats so the Marines can have unparalleled navigation abilities around the world.

5. Vegapunk. We're told that he's the one who created the idea of coating the bottom of the ships the Marines have with Sea Stone in the first place and he discovered how to manipulate it in the first place. Research the World Government undoubtedly wouldn't want to share.
    Since none of this actually adress my conclusion then i am going to conclude that it is in fact correct. If you want to disprove it then you need to start over, and come up with convincing arguments for why widespread Seastone weapons would not significantly change the power dynamic in the world of OP.

It's rare enough for a single organization to have an out and out monopoly on it. They call it rare in the series as well, so who are we to disagree?
    Back once more to it being one of those things we just need to accept. Despite there being entire buildings of it, and ships coated in it. Because else it is something any relevant power can gather in sufficient quantity.

I just figured the void century was the government erasing the horrible truth about how they came to power and what terrifying crimes they committed to get there. Basically, they erased the entire change over of government from history just to keep the moral high ground and not be looked at for the terrifying monsters they are. Alternatively it could be the use of the "ancient weapons" that wiped out most of civilization, leaving them to pick up the pieces and they cant risk knowledge that deadly getting out ever again. Like, imagine if we had some horrific world wide nuclear war. We dropped bombs big enough and numerous enough to shatter landmasses, erase entire nations, flood the world with massive tsunamis created by flash melted and boiled ice caps. Only a few scattered remnants survived. The world government took over, and ruthlessly suppressed and destroyed all knowledge of these times until all thats left are vague legends on ancient weapons, powerful beyond belief. The entire century no records were kept, or at least, none publicly available, thus creating whats known as the void century.
    I am pretty certain that the void century is the WG covering over their crimes as well. And that One Piece is some sort of history book.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

5. - Top - End - #245

Did you all forget the three super weapons, Neptune Pluto and whatever the other one is?

I mean, I agree, One Piece probably also contains the void century's secret, which gives you power over the world government since you know their secrets, but there's explicitly three special weapons in this universe of extreme power. One of them is a person mind you, but still.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Did you all forget the three super weapons, Neptune Pluto and whatever the other one is?

I mean, I agree, One Piece probably also contains the void century's secret, which gives you power over the world government since you know their secrets, but there's explicitly three special weapons in this universe of extreme power. One of them is a person mind you, but still.
    They aren't connected to the One Piece though. And the other is Uranus. Pluton, Poseidon and Uranus are the Ancient Weapons. We know Poseidon is a Mermaid, named after the first which currently is Shirahoshi. Pluton was made at Water 7, the blue prints of which were burned at Enis Lobby and the location of the weapon itself is only readable by Nico Robin and the Polyglyph is in Alabasta.

We know getting to Raftel has something to do with the Void Century but likely has nothing to do with the One Piece itself...other than it being at or beyond Raftel. Who knows. Either way, we know Gol and his crew learned the true history.
    Last edited by Razade; 2017-08-12 at 05:27 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Well given the shows themes, its probably the One Piece being some super weapon that can control the entire oceans of the entire planet.
    [...]
    As I said, I would expect the last chapter to be chill after the finale climax. If the One Piece really is a crazy awesome super weapon that will change everything about the powers of the world, it cannot be found in the last chapter. In that case, it'll be a part of the climax and take up several chapters. The only way I can see the treasure being found in the last chapter is if it is something that doesn't alter the story any further on its own, like Roger's adventure log. In that case, I can see the final panel just being the crew reading it and smiling.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

8. - Top - End - #248

Unfortunately im pretty sure oda specifically put the kibosh on the log idea. Probably just way too obvious of an ending.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Unfortunately im pretty sure oda specifically put the kibosh on the log idea. Probably just way too obvious of an ending.
    He's said, on several occasions, it's something that would be "fulfilling to the crew on a personal level". So it's not going to be friendship (which he outright said, word for word) because he feels (and I agree honestly) that it's a cheap and meaningless reward. It's probably not going to be just Gol D. Rodger's log...though I imagine they'll find it. I'd expect it to be part of the treasure. Not just THE treasure. We'll just have to see. We're almost at the end of the series according to the editors. They're saying 70% of the way done. I'm guessing more like 60% personally.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

I dunno if the update pace has ever slowed down or sped up during the manga's run, but counting its total runtime today, 30% left would mean 10 more years. "Almost at the end" indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

New chapter.

Strawhats having more and more luck. Fun things happening but not much to talk about I think.
    Next week.. Finally the escape?
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Funny how Barto went full ****-mode and got himself in trouble against the Red Hair Pirates just as I expected.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2017-08-18 at 01:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

13. - Top - End - #253

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Funny how Barto went full ****-mode and got himself in trouble against the Red Hair Pirates just as I expected.
    Setting Shank's flag on fire is going to...be a thing.

Anyway yeah, new chapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nami did a thing! It actually mattered a lot! It seems Pudding is quadruple crossing everyone.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Shanks is going to see Barto is a big fan of Luffy, he's going to invite them to drink and then he's going to tell Barto not to do it again or else. And then Barto is going to fanboy over Shanks and that's how that's going to go.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    There's a particularly long running theory that lines up with everything that's been going on so far that the One Piece is the Unified Ocean project from the Ancient kindom.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Setting Shank's flag on fire is going to...be a thing.

Anyway yeah, new chapter.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nami did a thing! It actually mattered a lot! It seems Pudding is quadruple crossing everyone.
    Yeah, cover story will continue to be fun, I assume. I hope we'll get some anime filler from that, maybe.

Spoiler
    Show

Quadruple cross? I don't even expect a triple cross.

I wonder if Zeus attack seriously hurt Mom... and whether she will take revenge. Prometheus seems like quite a problem if he doesn't care about Haki.

And Chopper and Brooke alone against one of Mom's strongest...
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Yeah, cover story will continue to be fun, I assume. I hope we'll get some anime filler from that, maybe.

Spoiler
    Show

Quadruple cross? I don't even expect a triple cross.

I wonder if Zeus attack seriously hurt Mom... and whether she will take revenge. Prometheus seems like quite a problem if he doesn't care about Haki.

And Chopper and Brooke alone against one of Mom's strongest...
    Spoiler
    Show
    She's betrayed Mama by letting Sanji do his thing, then said she'll kill him, then told Chiffon she wants to help him, and now she's like "mwahaha there he is". I think she might just be lying.

Also yeah, Brooke and Chopper are gonna have a time on their hands.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

It was actually a moderatly generous offer to let them sail off in the submarine. For all that tongue guy knows, he is easily able to finish them off whenever he wants to.
    But if Brook and Chopper can take him down now, then it does more or less mean they have caught up with Luffy in terms of strenght. This guy is ranked equally with the Biscuit guy that Luffy needed Nami's help taking down.

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

It was actually a moderatly generous offer to let them sail off in the submarine. For all that tongue guy knows, he is easily able to finish them off whenever he wants to.
    But if Brook and Chopper can take him down now, then it does more or less mean they have caught up with Luffy in terms of strenght. This guy is ranked equally with the Biscuit guy that Luffy needed Nami's help taking down.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can't says the same for Chopper, but Brooke went toe to toe with Big Mom. She was explicitly trying to just capture him mind you, but he fought her off for quite a bit. Dude's definitely on Luffy's level.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

I can't says the same for Chopper, but Brooke went toe to toe with Big Mom. She was explicitly trying to just capture him mind you, but he fought her off for quite a bit. Dude's definitely on Luffy's level.
    I dont think we can say that though. As you say, Big Mom was clearly trying to catch him. And looking at comic 851 it seems she were repeatedly smacking him down until he no longer were able to fight.

21. - Top - End - #261

I dont think we can say that though. As you say, Big Mom was clearly trying to catch him. And looking at comic 851 it seems she were repeatedly smacking him down until he no longer were able to fight.
    He also got in a good blow on Prometheus that doesn't seem to be healing last we checked. So that's a thing. But fair, though. Though keep in mind it IS Big Mom. The fact that he survived her attempts to capture him should tell you how good he is, since I doubt she's all that capable of controlling herself, even now.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, the popular theory is getting proven true - the best way Sanji can get back at his father is to save everyone with his cooking skills.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Well, Pudding is... definitely not sure what she wants. Not sure how long this will be fun.
    But Mom keeps going and I guess now it's up to the Strawhats to keep running until we get a Wedding Cake... which will take only a few hours, I assume?
    Otherwise not much to say... I guess Chopper and Brooke are lucky their enemies aren't serious about fighting them yet?

Also... so, did Oda just ditch the Barto/Shanks story?
    "What's done is done."

24. - Top - End - #264

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, Pudding is... definitely not sure what she wants. Not sure how long this will be fun.
    But Mom keeps going and I guess now it's up to the Strawhats to keep running until we get a Wedding Cake... which will take only a few hours, I assume?
    Otherwise not much to say... I guess Chopper and Brooke are lucky their enemies aren't serious about fighting them yet?

Also... so, did Oda just ditch the Barto/Shanks story?
    Spoiler
    Show

The cover arcs are short snippets from around the world. I imagine it'll come back in the story proper at an opportune time. It's leaving us in suspense.

Anyway yeah, Pudding's gone ultra tsundere and I'm not SUPER into it, but it's better than just a total redemption I guess. It shows how damaged she is after living like this for so long.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I can see how some people might not be into it, but this is such an over the top version of being a Tsundere that I can't help but laugh, the fact that it even leaves everyone speechless when she blows up makes it even funnier.

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by Sigh View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can see how some people might not be into it, but this is such an over the top version of being a Tsundere that I can't help but laugh, the fact that it even leaves everyone speechless when she blows up makes it even funnier.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I really like the reaction to her ridiculous antics. That's fantastic.

27. - Top - End - #267

Something I was curious about. I have seen the clips of the friends of the straw hat crew and such seeing their new bounties and things like that, but has there ever been a general world reaction to the straw hats in general, and luffy in particular? Like, is there conflicting reports going out where the various nations luffy has saved are countering the marines official stances on things, do the average people even know he exists if they werent a citizen of these specific areas? Are they afraid of this strange strong new pirate who has done all these big deal things? "Omg he arranged a mass breakout of impel down! He declared war on the world government at enis lobby and trashed the place, getting away clean and free!" etc etc etc. Was there any coverage of dressrosa where our favorite blind admiral refused to allow the coverup to happen? Basically, any of this stuff, im curious what the average person thinks of luffy and crew

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

The press is firmly under the thumb of the WG. I doubt it will ever be allowed to report that anyone broke out from Impel Down, or that someone could get away with declaring the WG war.

29. - Top - End - #269

The press is firmly under the thumb of the WG. I doubt it will ever be allowed to report that anyone broke out from Impel Down, or that someone could get away with declaring the WG war.
    Wasnt the breakout exposed pretty publicly during marineford? I mean, all of a sudden you had another hundred random pirates show up, most of whom were in black and white striped PRISON outfits. And at least a few of them HAD to be known to be locked up in impel down at the time. And considering they had cameras everywhere specifically to use the execution as a publicity stunt word had to have gotten out about that much at least.

But other than that, heh, I wonder if the average person ever questions bounties then. I mean, luffy shot up from a 30 mil nobody to 300 mill pretty quickly. You would think at least some random people would wonder why since they never hear about him doing anything. I also cant help but wonder what this means long term for the series. As you said, the WG sits on the press very harshly and spreads its own version of events. But luffy is making waves in a LOT of places, where they quickly discover for themselves just how full of garbage the press is when they see luffys victory given to random marine officers instead. What happens when a half dozen kingdoms get together and go, "Hey, we all got saved by the same guy the military is lying about."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

To be fair the world is a big place, I imagine pirates going up in bounty fairly quickly isn't necessarily a common occurrence but it's something that just sort of happens sometimes.