Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VIII

"That's a fine list of ideas," said Sforza. "I could almost believe you had some of them before I asked."

His voice assumed a dangerous tone. "When I want your advice, I'll ask for it. See to your men."

~

"At least 700 men. Around that order. Likely more."
    "Seven hundred," repeated Barbaro, in a faraway voice. "That is a lot."

He looked round to Karlott. "I'm sorry - was there something you wanted, my dear?"

The day dragged on, each minute seeming to last an hour. Some time after the baggage train had arrived, a rider came down to the river from Alvarr's forces, carrying a white flag of truce. They wanted a ceasefire to retrieve their dead, to which Sforza eventually agreed - on condition that he would be allowed to retrieve his first. Perhaps there were still some living down there by the ford.

The sun set with both armies still encamped less than a mile apart, each watching to see which would move first. Abdul had the wagons drawn up on the west side of the encampment, ready to move. That was, except for one - drawn up next to the carriage that was carrying Filomena, it was being loaded with barrels that Ludo recognised as being their store of gunpowder.

Spotting Sieghard in the dwindling light, Abdul greeted him with a frown. "Friend Sieghard! I hear you've gone volunteering for things again." His frown broke into a grin. "I thought I'd warned you about that. You are going to get yourself killed, you know."

He jerked a thumb towards the cart. "Captain's orders. He wants you to sneak this into the city before the rest of us get there. Think you can do it?"

A fourth barrel thudded onto the boards. Somehow there were still more to load - Abdul must have added to their supplies.

"You get to take ten men. Five to open the gates when they see the signal... and five to blow up the bridge. Best choose them wisely, my friend."

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Abdul, my friend, if we don't get into the city before Alvarr realizes what's happened and catches up to us, we'll all be killed," Sieghard said grimly. Then, cracking a smile of his own "I like our chances better with a sword in my hand. Besides, I expect to be rewarded handsomely for delivering the Captain his city." It was something he would've mentioned before if Sforza hadn't responded so poorly to the idea - not that it had stopped him from using the idea.

"You get to take ten men. Five to open the gates when they see the signal... and five to blow up the bridge. Best choose them wisely, my friend."

"Blow up the...? Oh, to the citadel you mean." He looked over at the wagon. "Getting the powder in'll be harder than just men. If that's the way the Captain wants it done though, it can't be helped. Could have a man pose as a trader and the others as his guards - unless you or the captain have a better idea. What's the signal we're supposed to watch for?"

3. - Top - End - #963
    Bugbear in the Playground

Karlott Tannhöfer

"Well, I...." Karlott hesitated, thinking. The priest was worried as well, which was only natural. Numbers meant a lot in warfare. "It is a lot. The captain is wise to manouver in a way so the Duke can't properly bring his numbers to bear. Alvarr, on the other hand, seems to only know how to wield power." Which was a judgement which wasn't really based on anything but a feeling. "The goddess, well... she favours wisdom, doesn't she? Do you think she is on our side?"
    Avatar made by lankybugger - Thanks a lot!

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

"The bridge across the river," said Abdul. "As for the signal, I think it should look like a bridge exploding. Wait for the main army to arrive, wait for nightfall, then do it."

"We'll load the cart with some of our other supplies. Enough to disguise the powder if you get stopped, and hide your weapons." He patted Sieghard on the arm. "Best move fast, my friend. The Captain will be marching soon; they will close the gates when they see he is close."

~

"The goddess, well... she favours wisdom, doesn't she? Do you think she is on our side?"
    "As a rule," said Barbaro, under his breath, "the gods are on the side with the bigger battalions."

Seeming to realise what he had just said, he adopted a more cheerful expression - if a little forced. "Never fear, signora. Captain Sforza is a wily fellow. As it says in the Book of War, the eagle sees further than the, um, badger."

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

"Best move fast, my friend. The Captain will be marching soon; they will close the gates when they see he is close."

Elsa spoke up: "Wherever Morrslieb is, I can throw a fireball. We can get some magic inside the gates without me having to get in there incognito." She paused. "Provided Sforza no longer needs Morrslieb's eyes in the sky."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded "If there's room on that wagon to hide it, we'll be needing armor as well. At least for the men taking the city gate." Some of it they'd be able to wear in, but not enough for the entire group and it would be better not to appear too well armed even for men pretending to be guards. "I imagine the men at the gates will want a bribe to let us in without too much trouble as well."

"The bridge will be more difficult. Alvarr's men will be watching it as well and they're not just going to let us unload barrels full of powder on it, even if they don't realize what we're up to." He still wasn't sure how they would be able to set off the powder before Alvarr's soldiers could intervene. "Do we know anything about the full size of Alvarr's army, what part of it he brought with him and what part he left in Savonne?"

Elsa spoke up: "Wherever Morrslieb is, I can throw a fireball. We can get some magic inside the gates without me having to get in there incognito." She paused. "Provided Sforza no longer needs Morrslieb's eyes in the sky."

And then he was. "You can? You're certain?" He had seen Elsa do stranger things. As odd as the claim was, it was harder not to believe her. "If the Captain wants to make sure the bridge is dealt with and wants to know when we'll make our move at the gate, that's exactly where he's going to want Morrslieb's eyes." He paused. "Can you show me?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard is asking out of curiosity more than doubt. He'll take Elsa's word for it if she'd rather not give a public demonstration of what she can do through Morrslieb.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2017-11-13 at 02:28 AM.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

"Can you show me?"

"I would love to, but it's better if I don't. It quite an ace in the hole. I don't want to word to get out too soon."

That, and every spell she cast involved a general element of risk. Magic was not for show.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

8. - Top - End - #968

Karlott Tannhöfer

Her face darkened a bit upon hearing his words, but he was correct, of course. It might have felt better to hear some comfortable sugarcoating, but in a way, she appreciated that he hadn't done so.
    "No, you are right, father. Thanks for being honest with me." she said, calmly. Why should the goddess care? This was not a just war, not in any sense of the word. War around here was rarely just. Never? One almost couldn't believe there could be a just war, if it wasn't for the stories about the Zani invasion of Khypris, some 50-odd years ago. She looked down at her side. A just war her sword had seen, when her grandfather had wielded it. Slowly, Karlott looked back up to Barbaro.
    "There is another thing, father - I once owned a charm of the goddess, but... I lost it and never thought to replace it. Is there... well, would you know anyone who could sell one to me?"

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

"The Captain gave you the honour of leading this suicide mission, my friend, not me," said Abdul with good cheer. He banged the side of the cart with his fist. "However you want to go about this, do. Whatever you want to take with you, take. Just don't get yourself caught for the sake of some old iron."

"Do we know anything about the full size of Alvarr's army, what part of it he brought with him and what part he left in Savonne?"
    "Bigger than ours," said Abdul. He nodded his head in the direction of the river. "Most of it is over there. Unless he's drafted every boy and wrinkled old man, he can't have spared many more to stand garrison duty. One or two hundred, perhaps. Most of them will be in Savonne."

"Wherever Morrslieb is, I can throw a fireball. We can get some magic inside the gates without me having to get in there incognito." She paused. "Provided Sforza no longer needs Morrslieb's eyes in the sky."
    Abdul looked dubious. "I hope your men don't need a wizard's help to make fire," he said to Sieghard. He patted one of the barrels now sitting on the cart. "Flint and tinder ought to do for this. As for the gates... that seems like work best done in darkness, wouldn't you agree? Fireballs could be... unhelpful."

~

"There is another thing, father - I once owned a charm of the goddess, but... I lost it and never thought to replace it. Is there... well, would you know anyone who could sell one to me?"
    Barbaro looked surprised, and then thoughtful - as if considering whether such a line of business might be lucrative.

"I'm afraid I don't," he said. Adopting a more fatherly, pious tone, he put a hand on her arm. "But if you find one, my dear, I'd be happy to bless it for you. You know what they say in the Empire? Sigmar brings a man to war, but Myrmidia brings him home. I'm sure she'll bring you home safe too."

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"I hope your men don't need a wizard's help to make fire,"

"If all goes to plan, they won't," Sieghard replied. "If everything went to plan we wouldn't be taking Savonne from under Alvarr's nose. I'd sooner have a backup ready and not need it than risk needing one and not have it." He turned to Elsa. "Have your bird watch the bridge. If the men are discovered before they're able to light the powder, have him blast it once they're out of the way. Otherwise, just have him watch. Keep him away from the gate, but if there's anything you can do to keep the defenders' attention near the bridge, it wouldn't hurt." He paused. "Are you able to do anything else through him or can you only use him to shoot fire?"

He returned to the Thorns to choose the men who would accompany him.

"You've all heard the rumors, I'm sure. The Captain plans to take Savonne while Alvarr is stuck on the wrong side of the river. We will have the glory of securing the gate for the main force. It will be dangerous, but no more so than when we faced the Red Company."

Spoiler
    Show
    Pausing here for reactions and so Ludo can chime in. I apologize for not posting last night, I wasn't feeling well.
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2017-11-14 at 06:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #971

Karlott Tannhöfer

A bitter grin appeared on her face. "She will. Living or as a corpse." Not that any of the people even knew Khypris was her home. If it even was that any more. "We must trust in her grace. Thank you, father. I'll bring it to you once I have a new one."

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

"Have your bird watch the bridge. If the men are discovered before they're able to light the powder, have him blast it once they're out of the way. Otherwise, just have him watch. Keep him away from the gate, but if there's anything you can do to keep the defenders' attention near the bridge, it wouldn't hurt."

"That will depend on whether Sforza will let me use him that way," said Elsa noncommittally. "He may decide an eye in the sky is better used watching Alvarr's main force."

"Are you able to do anything else through him or can you only use him to shoot fire?"

"Any spell I can cast, I can cast through Morrslieb."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Playing:

13. - Top - End - #973
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Securing the gate? So going in before the rest of the army incognito?"

14. - Top - End - #974
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Any spell I can cast, I can cast through Morrslieb."

"Noise," Sieghard said. "Don't overdo it and keep him where he wont be seen, but if Alvarr's men start drifting away from the bridge, give them something new to worry about."

Sieghard nodded. "We slip in and wait until night. While the city sleeps, we split into two groups - one makes sure the Captain's men can get into the city and the other makes sure Alvarr's can't."

15. - Top - End - #975
    Troll in the Playground

Narcisa

Narcisa's eyes widen at Sieghard's words. "A bold plan. Do you have any friends in the city?"

16. - Top - End - #976

"None we can work with." Ludo said, trying not to look at Sieghard as he said it. "What do you mean prevent Alvarr from getting in, seal the river gate?"

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"Destroying the bridge, actually," Sieghard replied. "Can I trust you with that job, Ludo?"

18. - Top - End - #978

Ludo's expression was, very briefly, unreadable.

"You can," he said firmly. "How?"

19. - Top - End - #979
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"We'll be bringing some powder barrels from the cannon with us. I'm sure you'll be able to manage it with them."

20. - Top - End - #980

Ludo nodded. "I can't claim to be an expert but... how hard can it be?"

21. - Top - End - #981
    Troll in the Playground

Narcisa

Narcisa's eyebrows rose but instead of commenting on Ludo's remark she turned to Sieghard. "Do you need my help?"
    Last edited by RossN; 2017-11-18 at 08:06 PM.

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard stopped himself from immediately refusing the offer. "You're from Savonne, right? Is there anything you know that might be useful to us? What time they close the gates,
    how many men Alvarr has patrol the streets, that sort of thing?
    "

Spoiler
    Show
    She's a thief, so it's actually the kind of thing she'd likely pay attention to

23. - Top - End - #983
    Troll in the Playground

Narcisa

"I know a little, but it's possible things have been changed since I left Savonne. The Duke, the Jarl and that dead Empireman set up a curfew at the gates - they close an hour after sundown. You can still get in the wicker gate after dark but no carts and you have to talk to the guards. Patrols are about five or six strong and most everywhere except the Warren and the docks - though that gets a lot of Rorik's boys and girls."

She looked thoughtful. "There are a few locals who would probably help you; I don't know any of them personally but if they go by the sign of the Jackal then they are probably followers of Nahorek. Oh and the gangs are back in the docks and a lot meaner now ole Jasper is gone."

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

Sieghard nodded, taking in the information. It was quite a bit more than he had expected. His expression darkened at the mention of Nahorek though "The jackal is a daemon," he said. "Most of its worshipers are clueless fools, but you'd still do well to be wary of them."
    Last edited by TheSummoner; 2017-11-22 at 01:56 PM.

25. - Top - End - #985

Karlott Tannhöfer

She had kept silent throughout most of the discussion. It was as she had feared. Worse, they would be the first in the battle.
    'No more dangerous than when we faced the Red Company', he said. Karlott had the feeling it would be far more dangerous than facing a unit of horseless horsemen in their underwear. Especially since... the thorns were a crossbow unit, and taking the gatehouse would probably involve some close combat. It was a bit weird the Captain had chosen them instead of some other, more melee-oriented unit.

"The Captain's men can't be spotted by Savonne's guards before we take the gates." Karlott stated calmly. "How long do you think we have to hold the gatehouse until they arrive?"

26. - Top - End - #986
    Troll in the Playground

Narcisa

Narcisa's eyes narrowed at Sieghard's blatant contempt. "Those 'fools' are the same people who will probably welcome your boss's troops." She took a deep breath. "I trust I'll be reimbursed for all this?"

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard

"The main force will stay out of sight until the bridge is destroyed," Sieghard said. "The blast will also draw away many of the men on guard duty - they will assume we are attacking from the east. I can't say how long it will take for the main force to arrive. So long as Alvarr's men aren't able to raise an alarm at the south gate, I doubt we'll have trouble."

"I trust I'll be reimbursed for all this?"

"For what? A bit of information." He let out a long breath. "Yes, yes, you'll be paid once we take the city."