Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: [WFRP] The Bloody Crown VIII

Ludo, Adelbert & Viggo, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert winced. "To be quiet honest Herr Forkbeard, unless we can conjure up Ranald himself I am not sure we will arrive at a superior candidate. Herr Stubbs is clever, he is literate, he can talk his way out of trouble and he is stealthy. Is there another in Savonne who could easily take such a task? You yourself told me we needed stealth rather than words and while I can perhaps think of one in Rorik's force who is a yet more skilled tracker I doubt you would wish to bring the Jarl in on this."

He sighed. "If you have changed your mind on that I can make it my business to try and get close to Count Groz. As I mentioned before I am a priest and Putbad is home to a large monastery. We are both sons of the Empire. I could probably come up an excuse to talk with him."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert, Ludo & Viggo, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Forkbeard looked irritated. "Schreiber, if you would let Herr Stubbs answer the question," he said. "I thought we established this morning that you are not an appropriate candidate. Mm, and again just now that the Count is not in Putbad."
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Viggo, Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo had bristled a little at the accusation. "I snuck into Isolici to search for the Leaf, and you wouldn't know about that if not for me. I-" he had been about to mention the Ravenskird bridge, but paused. Adelbert didn't know about that. There wasn't much, actually, that could be mentioned to both Adelbert and Forkbeard. "I escaped the disastrous attack on Rivermouth, I talked my way out of the duke's attack on Ravenskird, I assisted Herr Schreiber in finding the trade of food into the siege, and just yesterday myself and Herr Hirtzel were taken prisoner by members of the Leaf trade. That I'm here in front of you now, fully intact, should give the measure of what I achieve when I try."

He turned to Adelbert. "How much have you told Herr Forkbeard about what was discussed at the Conclave?"

4. - Top - End - #184

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert had gone rather pale. "The subject of the Conclave did not, ahem, arise Herr Stubbs. Herr Forkbeard has on previous occassions expressed little interest in matters of faith."

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Viggo, Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I shan't bring up my role there, then." Ludo said. Let Forkbeard think what he would.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Viggo & Adelbert, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Forkbeard looked intrigued. "Well, that certainly sounds, mm... impressive," he said. "Schreiber, you didn't tell us you'd had help in uncovering the blockade runners. And what's this about an attack on Rivermouth?" He raised a quizzical eyebrow. "That's Sforza's territory, no?"

"And what about you, young man?" he said, turning to Viggo. "I don't think we've been introduced."

"Viggo the Magnificent," said Viggo, launching immediately into his trademark patter. "Quick with words, quicker with a song. I've been with L... Herr Stubbs through plenty of those times and a lot worse besides. Including the, ahem, being taken prisoner last night." He gave a meaningful cough. "In which we were robbed of a lot of our money."

"Mm, yes," said Forkbeard, not taking the immediate bait. He looked Viggo up and down - though his clothes were dirty and still somewhat damp, they retained their vivid yellow and scarlet hues. "I'm thinking perhaps it might be better if Herr Stubbs were to work alone on this, mm, mission. Magnificence not being a quality that would profit us much here."

Viggo looked a little crestfallen, but said nothing.

"Schreiber has already told me what he knows about the Shade operation - the chain of supply up to our doorstep, and the involvement of this Sandu character. You gentlemen will have to fill me in on what happened to you last night - if it was in the line of investigation then I can of course see you compensated for anything you lost." He leaned back in his chair, interlacing his fingers. "For now, though, my priority is Sforza's messengers... mm, if messengers they are. Since Sandu was the one to deliver them to Savonne, he may also be the one to take them back. I have no desire to scare him off just yet - not if we might have the chance to catch two rabbits with one snare."

"Time is of the essence. Herr Stubbs, if you're willing to offer us your services on this mission, we can make arrangements for you to leave today. The Count's hunting party shouldn't be too difficult to find." He raised his eyebrows again. "I'm conscious of course of the risk you must be taking straying so far from Sforza's sight - we can pay you appropriately for your trouble."
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-07-17 at 11:20 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Blood Crown VIII

Elsa and Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    "If he does [have spies]... How much time do you think we have before they realize we're here? And how long before they get word to Alvarr himself?"

"I don't know," said Elsa morosely. "In any case, it's out of our hands, so it's no use fretting. The best we can do is finish our business quickly and be on our way."

OOC: Are you good to move on to the next day?
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2017-07-17 at 01:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Adelbert, Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    "If I might ask, what are your intentions for these messengers?" Ludo asked carefully, not looking at Adelbert.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert, Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    "To find out everything we can about the contents of their message," said Forkbeard. "Don't worry, Herr Stubbs. I wouldn't ask you to help us, mm, deal with such men. I have others who are quite capable of that." He looked quietly self-assured. "No, you would only be observing the Count. That is, if you agree... ?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Viggo, Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo nodded. "I'm in."

11. - Top - End - #191

BlackDragon

Adelbert, Ludo & Viggo

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert let loose a sigh of relief he hadn't known he'd been keeping in. "Thank you Herr Forkbeard."

He looked over at Viggo the Magnificent and smiled ruefully. "Come on my friend, I am sure we can find something to do."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I miss Northern Lad but that is a fine version of Viggo LCP!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    "There's little enough we can do," Sieghard admitted unhappily. "Though if Alvarr does have men here - If we're recognized - I can't help but worry word of this may reach Savonne before we do."

He sighed. "We've done well so far. Just continue to keep a low profile and hope anyone watching can't pick out Sforza's wizard from all of the other red haired women in the reaches." Perhaps it was because they had spent so much time in the south, but Sieghard couldn't recall seeing many.

OOC: Yeah. Was actually ready right away, but you ask for an IC of Sieghard telling the results of his rolls.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "Excellent," said Forkbeard. "Last I heard, the hunt was following the edge of the Karst, near Selsan. If you leave today, mm, you may be able to find them before sunset. I can arrange for a guide if you wish, and a horse if you need one." He glanced down briefly at the length of Ludo's lengths. "You can ride?"

"As soon as you have the Tilean's message - and if possible, the Count's reply - you must relay it to me, in person. No-one else. I will have your reward." He paused. "Would, mm, a hundred crowns sound fair to you?"

Marktag, 26th Jahrdrung

Elsa & Sieghard

Spoiler
    Show
    The next morning, a coach bearing the livery of the town guilds drew up outside their temporary residence to transport them to the Countess’ townhouse – Elsa, Sieghard, and at most two of the Thorns. It had all the grand trappings of a Nuln guildmaster’s personal carriage, but Elsa noticed the driver was wearing his colourful uniform jacket over what looked like a tradesman’s street clothes, and rather than coach-horses the vehicle carriage was drawn by a single, plodding carthorse. The guilds of Putbad liked to give themselves airs, that was clear, but it seemed they were not quite as grand or as wealthy as they made out.

Leona Groz’s house sat on a shallow rise to the north side of the town, over the rushing river and almost nestled in among the jagged teeth of the Karst. Made of the same sooty limestone as the rocks, it stood shoulder-to-shoulder with houses that were equally large – which, all in all, wasn’t saying much. For the residence of a ruler, it made no effort to stand out from its neighbours. Elsa was sure Irene would have had something to say about that.

They were admitted by a couple of servants, who took their cloaks and boots with attitudes as deferent as if they were welcoming a lord. When they had made themselves scarce, the Countess herself descended down the old elm staircase. Surprisingly, she was dressed rather more richly than before – nothing flashy, but there was more gold thread and jewellery on display for this private meeting than Elsa remembered from the dinner.

“Frau Ardelean,” she beamed, from the landing – in her condition she clearly didn’t want to ascend or descend more stairs than were strictly necessary. “I’m so happy you could spare the time to talk. Please – the others are waiting upstairs.”

Following her back up to the upper floor, Elsa and Sieghard were shown into a richly-furnished study or drawing room. Two men were waiting within – the young soldier Hagendorf, and Tobar of the Coopers.

Pausing discreetly to check that no servants were lingering on the landing, Leona stepped in after them and closed the door with a soft click. Hagendorf rose to help her back into her vacant seat – she smiled and accepted his assistance.

“That’s better,” she said. “Please, Fraulein Hildebrand, take a seat.” The pretence of ‘Frau Ardelean’ had been discarded like a half-eaten apple. “Or should I call you Magister? Tobar was unsure on the etiquette.”

The bearded guildmaster inclined his head in a knowing bow.

“I believe both of these two have already been introduced. You can trust them as you would trust me – both are my husband’s faithful advisers, and both have known your real identity since before you arrived in Putbad.” Levering herself up on the arms of her chair, she shifted her weight to make herself a little more comfortable. “So, we are dying to hear – what is this offer that Muzio Sforza is so very keen to make us?”

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Again, descriptions of Elsa’s preparations and dice rolls for any attempts to influence NPCs will be appreciated.
    Last edited by LCP; 2017-07-18 at 11:52 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo, Viggo, Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    "A pony would be better than a horse, and a guide would be very useful." Ludo said. "I want thirty gold coins in advance, please, my money was taken by the smugglers."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa and Sieghard, 26th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    When they came to fetch her, Elsa took a moment to down a cup of wine to steady her nerves. It was quite early in the morning to drink, but her confidence was evaporating quickly despite her late-night rehearsals of her opening words. Captain Sforza had put an awful amount of faith in her by sending her here. Politics was not her element. She would almost rather face Magog again.

But once the Countess greeted her, Elsa felt much better. Just a local woman of modest extraction, several months pregnant; not some cutthroat schemer or manipulator. She only wanted the best future for her child.

I can work with this.

“Please, Fraulein Hildebrand, take a seat. Or should I call you Magister? Tobar was unsure on the etiquette.”

"Either is fine." Elsa sat down. She wished she had her gloves on to hide her bitten fingernails. "Fraulein will do. I'm not here on my College's behalf."

“So, we are dying to hear – what is this offer that Muzio Sforza is so very keen to make us?”

"Alliance against Alvarr," said Elsa.

She elaborated: "It's been months since Savonne fell. By now, your husband must have realized that co-rulership of the north is untenable. Duke Alvarr is a Bretonnian noble, and Bretonnians don't govern; they reign. As for the Raven Hills people, it's only a matter of time before they tire of peace and revert back to their old ways."

"Captain Sforza proposes to help Count Groz save the north from Alvarr's arrogance and Rorik's barbarity. I've met your husband before, while on a diplomatic trip. He was working to feed the Savonnites and rebuild their city. Meanwhile, what is Duke Alvarr doing? When I passed through Savonne, he was organizing a tourney to distract the people... even as the city that he named after himself is overrun with disease."

"Sforza's terms are simple."
    Elsa wished she had a large map she could pound on for dramatic emphasis. "Groz gets the three northern regions. For his part, Sforza wants rulership of Savonne and the Downlands. On Savonne proper, the Captain will not compromise. As for the rest? Exact border, trade agreements, relations with the Dwarfs? It's open to negotiation. Most importantly, we will have stability. I don't think any one lord has enough men to protect all of the Broken Reaches... but two do."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    *deep breath* Let's do this.

Charm 39: (d100)[13]
    Fortune: (d100)[92]

Oh Sigmar

You have no idea how anxious I was about this one roll all day
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2017-07-19 at 10:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Rummaging in his nondescript clothes, Forkbeard produced a heavy bag of coins. Eyeing its obvious heft, Adelbert wondered if this was how much he always carried, or if he'd brought it specifically for the meeting. Slowly and methodically, he counted out the money.

"Our man Ducos can see to the guide and the, mm, pony. I think he can probably have them waiting for you at the north gate in... shall we say one hour? Mm. We shall." He rose from his seat. "If you have any other provisions to make, make them quickly."

"We appreciate the service you are doing us, Herr Stubbs. I'm sure you understand the importance of this information to His Grace." Bending down with a stiffness that betrayed his years, he offered his hand for Ludo to shake. "Do this for us, and you can rest assured - you have, mm, picked the winning side."

Straightening up again, he put his hand to the small of his back. "Schreiber, we have a few outstanding matters to discuss. If you would walk with me a little way, we can leave Herr Stubbs to his, mm, preparations."

Elsa & Sieghard, 26th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    "Captain Sforza asks for a lot," said Leona. Her manner was cautious - a mouse eyeing the crumb of cheese in the jaws of a trap - but Elsa could tell she'd caught her attention. She made no move to contradict any of the accusations Elsa heaped on Alvarr. "Savonne is the jewel of the Reaches. What is Sforza offering that Eberhard should just... give it up?"

Hagendorf nodded. "We shed our blood to take that city from the elf. I don't recall seeing any Tileans with us on the walls. What right has your Captain got to swan in and take what we earned?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #197

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    "Yes of course. I'll see you later L- Herr Stubbs. You too Vigo."

He followed Forkbeard, expression not entirely pleased.

Adelbert, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert said nothing as they walked, waiting for Forkbeard to start the conversation.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo and Viggo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo opened his mouth to wish Adelbert the best on his journey back, but he was gone.

"Look after him, Viggo," he said. "And yourself."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless Viggo has anything specific to say that needs a response, I'm happy to go and meet Ducos. I can't think of anything that needs buying. Ludo will spend the hour outside town to dodge the smugglers.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Adelbert & Viggo, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Forkbeard spoke in low, conversational tones as they walked through the streets back towards the citadel, trying to strike the mean point between not sounding surreptitious and not speaking loudly enough to be overheard.

"Groz is one end of this chain, Schreiber - Sforza is the other. We need eyes on the Tilean now as much as ever." He folded his hands into his sleeves as he walked, like a monk in procession. "If Count Groz were to prove untrue, I doubt Sforza would want to give him time to cool on the idea. It seems likely to me that he would, mm, strike while the iron is hot." Freeing his hands again, he counted on his crabbed fingers. "We need to know his plans, we need to know his movements, we need to know the readiness of his troops. Mhm - not to mention dealing with this business of the Shade."

"I need you to provide me regular reports, Schreiber. Can you do that? No long silences, no surprise personal visits. Regular, reliable correspondence." He scratched his beard. "You can't be everywhere at once, and you shouldn't try to be. I want you to report once a fortnight - no, once a week. I can arrange for a dedicated courier between here and Ravenskird - you'll just need to get your letters to the river."

"You've done good work with these gentlemen," he said, nodding to Viggo trailing along behind. "A network is what we need. How many eyes and ears do you think you can give us in Sforza's lands? I can provide you with the, mm, necessary funds." He paused. "Within reason."

Ludo, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Waiting outside the north gate, Ludo watched the ebb and flow of people passing through. After a short while - remarkably short, considering how long it had been since he and Forkbeard parted ways - he saw the face of Ducos among the throng, accompanied by a man he didn't know. Both of them were mounted, with one of them leading a small dun pony by the reins.

Dismounting, they approached Ludo casually, without any kind of greeting to draw attention. "You Stubbs?" said Ducos. "Was told you were in need of a horse."

Walking around the two larger horses, the pony snorted a gust of warm breath on the side of Ludo's face.

"This here is Ferka," he said, with a small motion towards the fellow beside him. The man was short and lean, with a round head and a small, unsmiling mouth. He was dressed like a carter or stable-hand, with a distinctive horsey odour to his clothes. He said nothing in response to his introduction, keeping one hand on the reins of the horse he was leading and the other with his thumb hooked into his belt. "He's a half-decent tracker for a Downlander. More importantly he knows these parts. Ought to help you find what you're looking for." Squinting, Ducos glanced up at the sun. "Speaking of which, you lads should have been gone three hours ago if you wanted to do that before sunset. I won't keep you."

Clambering back into the saddle, Ducos turned his horse around and headed back into the city. Ferka just stood there, looking at Ludo as if he had been expecting someone taller.

"You know how to ride?" he said at last.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #200

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert bit his tongue in irritation at yet another complaint about regular reports. Did the man think he ran a messenger service? Still he had no desire to start an argument here so he kept his tone bland.

"Truthfully Herr Forkbeard I am not sure there are many untapped seams left. Most of the Tilean's inner court have been with him long before he arrived in the Border Princes. Even the leader of the local harlots is an old acquaintance with members of the inner circle. That leaves you with that hobgoblin masquerading as a civilised man Steffan Sussman. Unfortunately as treachorous as he is I doubt we can afford to turn him - and we certainly couldn't trust him if we did. That leaves the Tilean's wizardess..."

He paused, gathering his thoughts. "I am afraid His Grace did not make a good impression on her and I suspect it would take a lot to shake her loyalty to the Tilean but... Herr Forkbeard, how fairs the Elf?"

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Sort of." Ludo said, mounting the pony as elegantly as he could manage. "You know where we're headed?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm happy to abstract as much of Ludo's Quest as you want, particularly since we might run into timing issues with the other team being a few days ahead of us. For now, let's just try to find the hunting party and not get caught by them.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    "There's no need to aim for the, mm, inner circle, as you put it," said Forkbeard. "Not everything you bring us has to be a coup, Schreiber. Just knowing where Sforza's troops are and when will be useful to us. Knowing when they're on the move. Knowing what they talk about when they're in their cups." He nodded to himself. "The lowliest servant can tell you that. Provided, mm, that they know it's you to come to when they, mm, overhear something."

Stepping around a puddle of something or other, he sighed. "Belehir remains in the dungeon. I don't pretend to understand why, but His Grace seems to want to keep him there until he rots. He's been very specific that we're not to, mm, get rid of him." He glanced up at Adelbert. "Personally I think it unwise... beaten or not, the elf could still be dangerous. But the decision is not mine to make."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert bit his tongue in irritation at yet another complaint about regular reports. Did the man think he ran a messenger service?
    Where is this outrage about reports coming from? Adelbert is a spy, Forkbeard is his spymaster. He needs those reports if he wants to be able to act on information that isn't potentially months out of date. He's literally just telling Adelbert to do his job.

Ludo, 24th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    "I know where to start looking," said Ferka. "It's a hunt. It moves."

Getting back into the saddle, he kicked his horse's flanks, starting away from the gates. Without prompting, Ludo's pony trotted after the larger animal, carrying him with it.

"Come on," Ferka called over his shoulder. He seemed less than pleased about the whole endeavour. "It's not a short ride."

~

Ferka was correct. Taking a right at the first fork in the road, the two of them headed north towards Selsan, with little company but the odd passing trader. Ferka's attempts to set a swift pace were continually frustrated by Ludo's pony, who would amble along at the same fixed trot no matter how fast either of them tried to induce it to go. Whenever Ferka stopped to allow him to catch up, it passed him by with an air of blithe indifference to his sour looks.

Some way out from the village, they struck out to the left of the road, following a path that took them away from the river and deeper into the fields and meadows of the Downlands. This part of the country seemed like it had suffered less during the siege of Savonne - they passed no burnt-out homesteads or deserted farms, no bandits' bones strung up from trees. As they followed the path further from the river, however, the land grew wilder, with tilled fields and cottages growing fewer and further between.

Stopping at the home of an aged goatherd, Ferka asked if he'd seen the hunt pass through. They asked this at the next two or three houses they found, and slowly they built up a picture of where the Count's party had been and when. They were a large group, with large appetites and little reason to hide themselves - it seemed that everyone had seen them at some point or another. With the sun sinking fast now in the west, they pushed their horses north towards the Karst.

At last, Ferka called a halt on a low ridge above a wooded dell. Trotting up beside him, Ludo looked down into the hollow. There among the trees he could see the light of several fires, and hear the muffled voices of what sounded like a large number of men. Horses were tethered just outside the circle of firelight, the canvas of colourful tents visible through the tree-trunks.

"We found them," said Ferka, matter-of-factly. "You want I should go, or stay?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ferka's attitude had irritated Ludo, and it was tempting to tell him to take the horses and head home. Instead, Ludo slipped off his pony and tethered it to a tree. "I don't think a messenger could be here yet. Let's stay here overnight, and keep with the main camp."

Ludo's plan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm guessing that a hunt like this will have Groz and his pals off chasing animals themselves while the camp and the big tents stay in one place or move slower behind them, right? Assuming that any messengers will be able to find the camp, Ludo will follow the camp on pony-back, doing his best to stay out of sight, but with enough vision to see if anyone arrives or leaves the main group.

I'll roll some general stuff but feel free to take it at whatever pace you wish.

Silent Move vs 69 (1d100)[48] re-roll (1d100)[54]
    Concealment vs 69 (1d100)[18] re-roll (1d100)[17]

24. - Top - End - #204

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert pursed his lips. "May I speak with the Elf? I have questions he might be able to answer."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, I might have been overplaying the IC annoyance there. Just he's already told Adelbert this. It feels less like a reminder than badgering.
    Last edited by RossN; 2017-07-20 at 06:23 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    They made good points, Elsa had to admit. Ones she should have seen coming when Sforza first told her his terms. She might then have asked him how he would answer that.

"That's the one non-negotiable condition Captain Sforza gave for his aid, my lady. I'm not privy to his war plans, but I gather he has a grand strategy that he wants to enact very soon, and time is rarely on the side of people with plans."

She did not see fit to mention her winged messenger just yet. If Leona knew, she might want to start a triangular back-and-forth with Sforza and Groz to haggle over all sorts of details. Let her think this was the one and only chance to establish an alliance before war inevitably broke out one way or the other.

"Sforza's message to Groz is this," Elsa went on. "He can have uncontested rulership of the three northern regions... or hold onto the Uplands and trust that he can keep his head above water with Alvarr and Rorik trying to hold him down. Savonne is quite a lot to ask, I'll grant you that. But I am allowed to discuss other terms, like trade agreements that'll keep the gold flowing upriver. And of course, you'll always be having loyal friends in the Dwimmulhold, who hold the key to the city's wealth. No ruler of Savonne with half a brain would dare to give a raw deal to the dwarfs or their allies."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

24th Jahrdrung

Adelbert
    Spoiler
    Show
    Forkbeard gave Adelbert a sidelong look. "Mmh," he said, "what kind of questions?"

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Leaving Ferka with the animals, Ludo crept up as close to the light of the campfires as he dared. The hunters looked to be making merry for the evening - he could see a deer turning on a spit, and plenty of wine being shared. There were soldiers and civilians both - he thought he recognised Bohun of the Red Company among the drunken hunters, and Groz's grizzled sergeant Ehrmann on the periphery. The old soldier didn't look like he was enjoying himself anywhere near as much.

In front of the largest and grandest tent, he spotted the Count. He seemed to be enjoying himself - by the looks of his expressive gestures, he was relating the story of the day's chase. None of the men gathered around him look like they had recently arrived, or had urgent messages to convey - they blended in with the company of the hunt.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've got it pretty much right - the camp moves slowly/stays static while the hunt roams around through the surrounding countryside. One concealment test a day will work for observing the camp; one silent move test per day if you want to follow the Count while he's on the hunt. If you want to do any eavesdropping, rummaging etc. then additional sneaking might be necessary.

If you can give me all your actions for the next 2 days I can catch you up to Elsa + Sieghard at least.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tobar looked a little amused. "You're offering us what we already have," he said, "or what you could never refuse us. What would the alternative be to what you describe?" He gestured with one large, open hand. "Cut off trade with Putbad? Without Putbad, the river trade stops at the Silver Falls. Where would your goods go?"

"What we already have, what you could never refuse," echoed Leona, "and what may be beyond your power to deliver. Captain Sforza bargains with other peoples' land." She was sounding less convinced. "I may not know much of military matters, but even if Eberhard were to side with you and take Savonne, and all the Downlands, what guarantee would there be that your Captain would help him take the north? You would have what you wanted already."

Hagendorf nodded. "Alvarran's a fortress," he said, "and the Raven Hills folk are little better than the Norscans who lead them. A bigger army than ours could bleed itself to death trying to take them." He paused. "A bigger army than yours too."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Elsa and Sieghard, 26th Jahrdrung

Spoiler
    Show
    Elsa did not like the guildmasters one bit. They were too smart, too experienced, too cynical. They could get Leona to back out of the negotiations. She wished Sforza had been offering a better deal to begin with. She also wished she were a smooth talker, like Ludo or Viggo.

"I don't think the Captain demands that you cede Savonne right away, out of blind faith," said Elsa, unsure what Sforza himself would say to that. "But we do have to wrest control of the Downlands first and foremost, or Sforza's forces will stay bottled up in the south, and yours in the north; easy to destroy piecemeal by those who hold Savonne's strong walls. Rest assured, Sforza knows he cannot have peace as long as Alvarran stands. It's a fortress, yes, but how loyal are the Duke's people?"

She leaned forward in her seat. "What you have, right now, is only the Uplands and a rapidly fraying alliance. Alvarr is the one who has Savonne; or will, soon enough. You know it's only a matter of time before he makes a power play to remove your husband... not just from Savonne, but also from Bunthafen. Trust me, neither Sforza nor Groz wants a three-way conflict. These things are drawn out and messy, and the gods know that the Broken Reaches could use some peace and stability for a change."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2017-07-20 at 11:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Sieghard & Elsa

Spoiler
    Show
    Sieghard sighed. This discussion was going nowhere, and Elsa wasn't helping things by acting so unsure.

"What you say is true," Sieghard said, breaking his silence for the first time. "Count Groz sits in Savonne, with the wealth of the river trade and the friendship of the dwarfs. How long do you think he will keep it while Alvarr and Rorik draw breath? What Captain Sforza offers you is a future that left to the whims of a tyrant and his pet savages."

"What peace you have in Savonne won't last. Your husband knows this or else we would not have been invited. And while he may have had allies in the dwarfs during the siege, would you chance it that they would go to war again if called? The elf has fallen, they already do have what they want."

"Let's not waste words with what everyone already knows. What you want is some assurance that the north will be yours," he continued, as though the possibility of them refusing Savonne wasn't even worth considering. "We gain more deciding how that can be done. Alvarran is a fortress, but one stricken by disease. Once the duke is dead, it will not hold. When Alvarr marches to war, he promises death to all those who will not bend the knee. Deal with him and we need only promise food and relief. They will throw open the gates and welcome you as the saviors of the city."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sentinel - Hope you don't mind me speaking up. Was getting a bit bored just being a watching quietly.

LCP - Is it ok if we have the two Thorns who came with wait outside the door? Wouldn't be overly surprised if they try to eavesdrop anyways, but Sieghard would prefer them not be in the room for this sort of discussion.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Ludo
    Spoiler
    Show
    Releasing Ferka from his service, for the next two days Ludo followed the camp around, cautious to tie the pony up well-hidden and then sneak to a vantage point from which he could see any significant comings or goings.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ludo will stick with the main camp - it seems unlikely that everything that happens with a messenger would be out in the field.

Day 1 Concealment: (1d100)[7], re-roll (1d100)[100] vs 69
    Day 2 Concealment: (1d100)[97], re-roll (1d100)[32] vs 69

You know what, it's a good thing those rolls were in that order.
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2017-07-21 at 02:39 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210

BlackDragon

Spoiler
    Show
    Adelbert looked uncomfortable. "Matters of the arcane Herr Forkbeard. I do not know if Belehir has any true knowledge of sorcery but there have been certain... mystical events that he may be able to confirm." He paused, then added. "Frankly I think he might be a draw to the Tilean's pet wizardess. I am no mage but the lure of knowledge can be thrilling to anyone."