New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

sigh Re: [Meme] Who Would Win?

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    You posted something on the internet; you really should have known better.
    *Sigh* Yeah you're right. I just felt bad that my post would have contributed nothing to the thread but pointing out that this meme is, in fact, not recent at all.
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2017-06-06 at 02:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: [Meme] Who Would Win?

Quote Originally Posted by flappeercraft View Post
    How does one exactly optimize pun pun though? If he is pun pun it doesn't matter if he's 5th level or 5quintillionth level, he's infinite
    It doesn't really matter, though, does it? Since his character sheet is still shredded, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Are you accusing me of trolling or..?

I intended to drop the multiverse tangent after that post, I was just wanting to relate something that touched upon the idea of fighting the multiverse.

I apologize if that was unwelcome.
    No, I was not accusing you of trolling. Zombulian called it.
    "I'd like to cast Feather Fall for when my team lets me down."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tonymitsu View Post
    [IMG]

In fact, if this commoner lives happily in the Kingdom of Ultimate Evil and has dedicated his life to, oh, I dunno... Father Llymic? He gets a free deformity feat. So he can take Willing Deformity, and then Deformity (tongue) for Blindsense out to 30 ft. This negates the ambush completely. He can also take Cloak Of The Obyrith out of Fiendish Codex I to gain DR 1/lawful. And now he is cat-proof.

Sure, he has the taint of demonic ancestry in his blood and he's pledged himself to the destruction of all that lives, but that's a small price to pay for the ability to safely run off a stray feline. And of course once Father Llymic unmakes the world, there won't be any cats.

why don't you just apply a bunch of completely irrelevant things to the cat. a cat could worship a god, have some goodies from the BoED, and completely lay waste to the evil commoner just as easily. hell, the cat could potentially be a rank 5 master of any church from the complete divine. the argument is about a unmodified commoner vs an unmodified cat.

4. - Top - End - #64

Who would win,

All of the elder evils,

Or a 20th level monk?

5. - Top - End - #65

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    why don't you just apply a bunch of completely irrelevant things to the cat. a cat could worship a god, have some goodies from the BoED, and completely lay waste to the evil commoner just as easily. hell, the cat could potentially be a rank 5 master of any church from the complete divine. the argument is about a unmodified commoner vs an unmodified cat.
    Okay, so a commoner has a d4 hit die, and a +0 to hit with the one simple weapon they're proficient with (in this example a spear). They have an AC of 10, since there's no Dex bonus or NA bonus. You end up with +0 to hit, vs AC 14 for 1d8 damage (avg 4.5) and one attack per round. Spears don't have reach, though; that's longspears.

Cats have an AC of 14 (+2 Dex, and +2 Size) with a 1/4 d8 as their hp. So, commoners and Cats have an average of 2, with the commoner having a possible 3. But, they get +4 to hit with a claw attack, and a full attack of +2/+2 claws, and -1 bite, each doing 1 damage. So, if the cat waited until the human was next to it, and took its turn to do a full attack against the human (5' step into the commoner's space then full attack) there's a 65% chance that each claw hits, and a 50% chance that the bite hits. That leaves us with about a 21% chance that a common housecat that gets the drop on a commoner drops the human to 0 or -1 hp in a single round of combat. If the human has 3hp, and the cat misses on the bite, that means the human needs to take a 5' step back, since I'm fairly certain you can't attack into your own square (not positive on this one), and gets one chance to hit the cat. The cat has an AC of 14, meaning the commoner has a 30% chance to hit. On a hit, the average damage kills the cat. But, there's a 12.5% chance that he doesn't do enough damage to drop the cat. The cat then gets to go. Commoner gets an AoO for the cat entering his square. Another 30% chance to hit. Then, the cat gets another round, and the commoner probably dies. Honestly, the house cat still has an above average chance of winning the fight, if they get the drop on the commoner. That's sad.
    "I'd like to cast Feather Fall for when my team lets me down."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Who would win: A 10th level Frenzied Berserker with a 35 strength or a wet floor?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Frenzied Berserkers cannot make balance checks while in frenzy, so grease can stop them.

Who would win: A sneak with superior invisibility or a sack of flour?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Flour reveals invisible creatures.

Who would win: A foul demon or a lucky punch?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Nashrou from MMIV is instantly killed by a critical hit.

Who would win: The sneakiest of rogues or a pet dog?
    Spoiler
    Show
    As Piggy Knowles discussed in the necessity of Darkstalker, scent ignores Hide/MS.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2017-06-06 at 11:35 AM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Menzath View Post
    Who would win,

All of the elder evils,

Or a 20th level monk?
    God, that thread was incredible. Where the heck has Tippy gone?
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    God, that thread was incredible. Where the heck has Tippy gone?
    I missed that thread, what was the idea?
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    I missed that thread, what was the idea?
    The concept was to bring down all of the elder evils using a character with if not 20 levels, as much monk as possible. There was no restriction to PO, so people went all out with Tippy-level stuff.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

10. - Top - End - #70

It was fun. I made a sneak based build that relied on ranged attacks(mostly the spell blood wind).

I think the first to clear it was a pure strength power throw build that could 1shot most of them, and if not had a full attack of throws after moving into range thanks to some shenanigans.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    The concept was to bring down all of the elder evils using a character with if not 20 levels, as much monk as possible. There was no restriction to PO, so people went all out with Tippy-level stuff.
    ECL 20 with at least 17 levels in Monk or a Monk-based PrC*

It was called "Tippy's Terrifically Terrible Trial"
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2017-06-06 at 05:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Does anyone have a link? I can't find it :(

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Menzath View Post
    Who would win,

All of the elder evils,

Or a 20th level monk?
    It's strongly depend on the conditions of "win"

For example, Sertrous is already dead.
    Not "mostly dead". Not Undead. Not Construct. Not Petitioner.
    Just dead.
    How could Monk top that?
    Kill him one more time? Big deal - Sertrous wouldn't be worse than at the start of the story

Or Atropus.
    Atropus is a planet.
    Can monk destroy the planet?

And finally, if we put aside the "gladiator's pit" mentality, we will see the truth: without the DM fiat, Elder Evils would win WO - how the heck you will find somebody who is hidden under the Anathematic Secrecy, constant CL 20 Nondetection, and have CL 18 greater invisibility prepared?
    Monk doesn't even have neither Gather Information, nor Knowledge (local or/and dungeoneering) on the skill list...

14. - Top - End - #74
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Lightbulb Re: [Meme] Who Would Win?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    Honestly, the house cat still has an above average chance of winning the fight, if they get the drop on the commoner. That's sad.
    one final thing that everyone has overlooked. after getting hit you assume the commoner would take a step back and attack again, or wait for the cat to enter his square. BUT, the cat would simply flop over on it's back, producing the commonly known "stomach rub trap" that everyone KNOWS is a trap, but still reaches in to rub that belly. then the cat would get the AoO+a full attack after that.

even if the commoner won initiative, the cat would probably just do this anyways to lure him in.

game/set/match cat.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    Just search the name that I provided.

ECL 20 with at least 17 levels in Monk or a Monk-based PrC*

It was called "Tippy's Terrifically Terrible Trial"
    Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    It's strongly depend on the conditions of "win"

For example, Sertrous is already dead.
    Not "mostly dead". Not Undead. Not Construct. Not Petitioner.
    Just dead.
    How could Monk top that?
    Kill him one more time? Big deal - Sertrous wouldn't be worse than at the start of the story

Or Atropus.
    Atropus is a planet.
    Can monk destroy the planet?

And finally, if we put aside the "gladiator's pit" mentality, we will see the truth: without the DM fiat, Elder Evils would win WO - how the heck you will find somebody who is hidden under the Anathematic Secrecy, constant CL 20 Nondetection, and have CL 18 greater invisibility prepared?
    Monk doesn't even have neither Gather Information, nor Knowledge (local or/and dungeoneering) on the skill list...
    Look at the thread, win conditions were fairly well accounted for IIRC.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Look at the thread, win conditions were fairly well accounted for IIRC.
    Yes, I know:
    Build an ECL 20 (or lower) character that has at least 17 levels of Monk (PrC's that advance Monk levels are allowed) and can solo every challenge in the Elder Evils book.
    But it doesn't explain neither how to avoid "lose by WO" situation, nor how to fix "Obligatum Infinity" problem

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    here you go.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

>recent
    how about a classic:
    who would win, a commoner with a spear or a common housecat?
    I actually forgot the Giant himself made this joke.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Mr. Scruffy's much more powerful than the bog-standard housecat, though, as he's the animal companion of Belkar, a very high-level ranger.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2017-06-13 at 04:34 AM.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Mr. Scruffy's much more powerful than the bog-standard housecat, though, as he's the animal companion of Belkar, a very high-level ranger.
    Urban Companion, more likely. Cats aren't valid animal companion options.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Urban Companion, more likely. Cats aren't valid animal companion options.
    Oh, really? I didn't know that.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Bugbear in the Playground

d20 Re: [Meme] Who Would Win?

Who would win between Raistlin Majere and Elminster of Shadowdale?

……wait, Mordenkainen already asked that one.
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Âmesang View Post
    Who would win between Raistlin Majere and Elminster of Shadowdale?

……wait, Mordenkainen already asked that one.
    I need CONTEEEEEXT!

Uh... yeah.

Extended sig here.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Who would win, a 20th-level wizard or a Sorcerer King? This is pretty specific to this forum, and I won't explain the joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Who would win, a 20th-level wizard or a Sorcerer King? This is pretty specific to this forum, and I won't explain the joke.
    I believe it was established that a 1st level Commoner wins, by virtue of being a legal build. :P
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I believe it was established that a 1st level Commoner wins, by virtue of being a legal build. :P
    Not if I stubbornly refuse to admit I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Who would win:

The towering menace that is the Iron Golem,

or a puny Rust Monster or two?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground

d20 Re: [Meme] Who Would Win?

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I need CONTEEEEEXT!

Uh... yeah.
    DRAGON Magazine #359, p.84—the last physically printed issue of the magazine (that I'm aware of) had an article detailing the pros and cons of the two mighty magi as if they would be pitted against each other… and at the end you find out that the "pitter" was making the arrangements on behalf of his boss, Mordenkainen.

(That same issue also featured the last chapter of Ed Greenwood's series of short stories, "The Wizards Three," where Elminster, Morndenkainen, Mord's apprentice, Rautheene, and a returning Dalamar all visit Ed's house once again.)
    3e5e : Quintessa's Dweomerdrain (Drain power from a magic item to fuel your spells)
    3e │ 5e : Quintessa's Dweomershield (Protect target from the full effects of a magic item)
    3e │ 5e : Hordling Generator (Edit "cr=" in the address bar to adjust the Challenge Rating)
    3e │ 5e : Battle Sorcerer Tables (For Unearthed Arcana)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Are you taking shirtless hunks into account though?

Who would win: A Tyrannosaurus skeleton or a fake picture?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mindless creatures are tricked by illusions.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2017-06-14 at 12:28 PM.
    Awards