New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default What if... There can be an The Order of the Stick TCG?

So I've gotten to wondering, due to recent success in an online collectible card game called Hearthstone...

What if it is possible to create an Order of the Stick Collectible card game that can be played online?

Due to the vast amount of material to work with pertaining to the webcomic itself, I can really see a rich gameplay experience from collecting, trading ( don't know bout this item if it can be abused), and competing with other players with decks constructed with cards of notable characters, items, and scenes from The Order of the Stick...

Could it be possible? I for one, would love to see if it can be brought to reality...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What if... There can be an The Order of the Stick TCG?

Do you mean like the Order of the Stick Adventure Game?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Well, no, not really.

I am talking about a collectible card game with actual packs of randomized collectible cards to obtain, leading others to make a custom deck. Kinda like Magic, or Hearthstone!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

As a matter of principle, I dislike card games with rare and ultra rare cards when I am usually only getting the cards for the art.

Also, I tend to think Rich has a bit much on his plate, art wise.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm not entirely sure that OOTS actually does have the settings and characters to make a full-on CCG, or at least not one that will grow anyway. And of course the Giant probably doesn't have the time to make one, fun as it might be.

Peelee’s Lotsey

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    As a matter of principle, I dislike card games with rare and ultra rare cards when I am usually only getting the cards for the art.
    That's why the only card games I play are games like Dominion. No matter what cards you have for the game, you and your opponent have access to the same deck once the game starts. You gain no advantage by spending lots of money to get rare cards.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    I'm not entirely sure that OOTS actually does have the settings and characters to make a full-on CCG, or at least not one that will grow anyway. And of course the Giant probably doesn't have the time to make one, fun as it might be.
    I'd agree that the Giant is unlikely to have any interest in making a CCG, but I do think there is enough content to draw upon to create a hypothetical card game. A cursory glance at the The character appearances thread seems to have somewhere around 100-200 usable characters (depending on how picky you are). Given that characters would only be part of your set, and there's plenty of unique places and magical things to pick from, that's a lot of potential for cards. Still not happening, but the amount of available content shouldn't be a problem.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post

Also, I tend to think Rich has a bit much on his plate, art wise.
    Well, he could just hire someone straight out of art school to do the work. He could even save money by paying them with the exposure, as well. It's foolproof, I tells ya!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
    I'd agree that the Giant is unlikely to have any interest in making a CCG, but I do think there is enough content to draw upon to create a hypothetical card game. A cursory glance at the The character appearances thread seems to have somewhere around 100-200 usable characters (depending on how picky you are). Given that characters would only be part of your set, and there's plenty of unique places and magical things to pick from, that's a lot of potential for cards. Still not happening, but the amount of available content shouldn't be a problem.
    it might be just the kind of CCGs I'm used to (Hearthstone, MTG), but I think the main problem there is a sort of "legendary" saturation with not enough for cards of lesser rarity, so to speak. So when I'm thinking of content, I meant more that I'm not sure it's a broad enough world to have more than the main characters as cards. Then again, if there are other CCGs that would do a better job with this setup, I take back what I said and admit I'm out of my depth.

Peelee’s Lotsey

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

So when I'm thinking of content, I meant more that I'm not sure it's a broad enough world to have more than the main characters as cards.
    OOTS has an impressive roster of minor characters. Just going through the current (post art upgrade) book, you've got the crew of the Mechane, the gnomes of Tinkerton, the attendees of the godsmoot, and now the frost giants. Go back further and you could easily find material for hundreds of common cards. If you want to get picky I'm sure you could narrow things down, but in any event there's plenty of minor characters with distinctive visual appearances and characteristics in this story.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSymphony View Post
    What if it is possible to create an Order of the Stick Collectible card game that can be played online?

Due to the vast amount of material to work with pertaining to the webcomic itself, I can really see a rich gameplay experience from collecting, trading ( don't know bout this item if it can be abused), and competing ...
    I see what you did there.

Also, I like Hearthstone but it took a while to like it enough to play it more than occasionally.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd think it would suffer from the same problem as the Star Wars CCGs, only even more so. No matter how theoretically viable a deck that relied solely on background characters would be, in practice winning would be all about deploying Xykon, the Order, maybe the Vector Legion, until everyone's deck looked the same and someone might wonder why the game ever had the "collectible" aspect to begin with.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Hmm... in that case, balancing must be in order for it to truly be enjoyable...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'd think it would suffer from the same problem as the Star Wars CCGs, only even more so. No matter how theoretically viable a deck that relied solely on background characters would be, in practice winning would be all about deploying Xykon, the Order, maybe the Vector Legion, until everyone's deck looked the same and someone might wonder why the game ever had the "collectible" aspect to begin with.
    Ditching the collectable aspect seems like a good move, yes.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSymphony View Post
    Hmm... in that case, balancing must be in order for it to truly be enjoyable...
    But who will put the bell on the cat?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darvin View Post
    OOTS has an impressive roster of minor characters. Just going through the current (post art upgrade) book, you've got the crew of the Mechane, the gnomes of Tinkerton, the attendees of the godsmoot, and now the frost giants. Go back further and you could easily find material for hundreds of common cards. If you want to get picky I'm sure you could narrow things down, but in any event there's plenty of minor characters with distinctive visual appearances and characteristics in this story.
    With a CCG, Hobgoblin Warrior from Strip #433, Panel 3 will finally get his chance to shine!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Developing a Trading Card Game is a lot harder then you people think.

However, this comic would be a great material to make a TCG. A lot of different setting, a nice plot, lots of charismatic character....

You don't need lots of cards to make a good TCG. Let's say we create 4 thematic decks, based on the Order, the Sapphire Guard, Team Evil and Linear Guild. You have enough story to create hundreds of cards, and tOotS have other theme to explore (like Vector Legion, Order of the Scribble, or Hel's Vampire team).
    There is everything a game designer could ever want.

We all know this will never happen.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

it might be just the kind of CCGs I'm used to (Hearthstone, MTG), but I think the main problem there is a sort of "legendary" saturation with not enough for cards of lesser rarity, so to speak. So when I'm thinking of content, I meant more that I'm not sure it's a broad enough world to have more than the main characters as cards. Then again, if there are other CCGs that would do a better job with this setup, I take back what I said and admit I'm out of my depth.
    There was a short-lived Harry Potter card game produced by WotC which actually worked out that issue - characters were an important class of cards, but so were spells, creatures, etc. Theoretically any character was viable, and provided benefits to the use of the cards that actually won you the game (spells and creatures), rather than doing the work for you. I suppose those rules could be tweaked and made to work for an OotS game, though I can't fathom why anyone would want to make a game with the rules the Harry Potter one had. It was a bit of a mess. The use of the characters not as the primary force behind winning and more as a kind of support card, though, would be crucial to having an actually functional game, I think.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2017-06-21 at 11:49 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.