New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice XXVIII: Happy and Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    ...Also, if you want some tips, women love men who can make them laugh, just a thought.
    People keep saying that. But whenever I ask a girl out, she starts laughing, and that hasn't gotten me anywhere.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    ...Also, if you want some tips, women love men who can make them laugh, just a thought.
    Yeah, that's pretty much the only reason this French girl actually likes me. (Although beware of Anymage's tactic, it's what happened with the last four girls I asked out.)
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Sorry to be a pain guys, but I could do with some help, or failing that just somewhere to ramble...

Is there any non-completely-horrendous way to break up with someone who thinks the world of you, lives with you and you feel responsible for?

Spoiler: Spoilered for length
    Show

We’ve been together for three years and have lived together for most of that. For a long time of that I struggled with the caretaker role that has been part of our relationship because of her CFS. Obviously, having it is far worse for her, but it has put a lot of strain on me- never really being able to switch off, always on alert. Our physical relationship is pretty much non-existent (about a year since) and so much time has been spent either actively looking after her or just in a limbo of waiting. I obviously do have my own life and friends, but no matter how well I prep things (complete homemade microwavable meals, flask of tea by her bed, alarms set) 9 out of 10 times if I go out for the day she’s in a worse condition and I feel incredibly guilty.

A few months back I was given the option to relocate to another (cheaper) city with my work- kind of for an indefinite amount of time, but could be recalled back. By cheaper, I mean my salary could rent a 2 bed place reasonably comfortably (home office!). My partner was up for the move, and the plan was that she would see out the lease in the old place (physically- we still split the rent), and then leave her job (that paid barely anything, she hated and caused lots of additional strain on her CFS)- then afterwards go home for a while to get research about her family/culture before moving to the new city and back in with me and writing a book about it (she’d previously been approached).

And that kind of is what happened, minus my GF’s book prep and with another, quite large problem.

The time apart has kind of put things in perspective for me- I’ve been on my own and it’s been kinda nice- like a weight had lifted from me. It’s not as if I’ve been out and having an amazing time (whilst I can afford the larger place- it is more of a financial strain) but I wasn’t on edge, I wasn’t stress eating, and I generally felt less on edge.
    As it got closer to her moving in- I started to have panic attacks- I tried to speak to her, but she had no internet back home for skype and her CFS was being too bad to have proper phonecalls. So she moved in 2 weeks ago, and well, my feelings aren’t what they were. I’ve been trying to have things feel as they were- but I’m also terrified of things just being as they were.
    I care for her, and I’m doing what I can to help, and to look after her, but, and it’s weird to write this, I don’t think I love her anymore. Or if I do, it’s not enough.

It’s not just the daily stress- it’s the fear of the future (short term- my job may want me to relocate back) and long term (I don’t think we could have a family), and she keeps telling me I’m amazing and it’s eating me up inside.

I think I need to be selfish and end this- though it’s going to be horrible- and I know if I do she’s just going to have to go back to the family until she can find work wherever she wants it (though her old wage wasn’t enough to live on back in the old city) which kinda sucks and she genuinely thinks I’m great and I think it’s going to destroy her.
    Financially- I’m not in a perfect place- but as she currently isn’t earning I can sort train tickets, the cost of moving her stuff etc, I can also find places to crash for a few days if needed. Lease-wise- the place is only in my name, and she doesn’t have a job or other commitments here.

So I think the technical/financial/legal side of it will be fine, but as to the rest, how do you go about ending things with someone who you’ve been with for years, who thinks you’re great and lives with you? And especially as there’s no big clear cut reason (like cheating) but just my feelings of long-term incompatibility and my not being strong enough to always be the supportive partner/carer.

And to make matters more complicated- it’s our anniversary this weekend, and the following week/weekend her mother is due to stay for an amount of days.

I know I’m going to be the villain in this, I’ve accepted that, but whilst my feelings aren’t what they were I do care about her- so any advice about what I can do to make it as less-horrible as possible?

Thanks.
    Punting, champagne and suits. Ah, the joys of being a Squashman and Anglo-Saxophonist.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

Don't think there's any "easy" way to do this. If you're certain (which it seems like you are), there are two options IMO.

1)Tell her the truth. You can't handle being her caretaker for the rest of your life and it caused enough resentment to change how you feel about her.

2)Tell her you want a family in the future and you don't think with her condition it would be feasible so you need to move on.

The latter, while true from what you wrote, clearly doesn't go into full depth of the reasons. It's also less arguable. The former case there could always be promises of "I'll do more to take care of myself" or the like. Either way make sure the exact logistics of where you and her are going to live is settled. You definitely don't want to drag things out here. With the lease in your name it's unfortunately more like kicking her out so I don't know how you are working to arrange that. Get her a hotel room, pay for a flight back to her parents etc.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Stadge View Post
    Sorry to be a pain guys, but I could do with some help, or failing that just somewhere to ramble...

Is there any non-completely-horrendous way to break up with someone who thinks the world of you, lives with you and you feel responsible for?

Spoiler: Spoilered for length
    Show

We’ve been together for three years and have lived together for most of that. For a long time of that I struggled with the caretaker role that has been part of our relationship because of her CFS. Obviously, having it is far worse for her, but it has put a lot of strain on me- never really being able to switch off, always on alert. Our physical relationship is pretty much non-existent (about a year since) and so much time has been spent either actively looking after her or just in a limbo of waiting. I obviously do have my own life and friends, but no matter how well I prep things (complete homemade microwavable meals, flask of tea by her bed, alarms set) 9 out of 10 times if I go out for the day she’s in a worse condition and I feel incredibly guilty.

A few months back I was given the option to relocate to another (cheaper) city with my work- kind of for an indefinite amount of time, but could be recalled back. By cheaper, I mean my salary could rent a 2 bed place reasonably comfortably (home office!). My partner was up for the move, and the plan was that she would see out the lease in the old place (physically- we still split the rent), and then leave her job (that paid barely anything, she hated and caused lots of additional strain on her CFS)- then afterwards go home for a while to get research about her family/culture before moving to the new city and back in with me and writing a book about it (she’d previously been approached).

And that kind of is what happened, minus my GF’s book prep and with another, quite large problem.

The time apart has kind of put things in perspective for me- I’ve been on my own and it’s been kinda nice- like a weight had lifted from me. It’s not as if I’ve been out and having an amazing time (whilst I can afford the larger place- it is more of a financial strain) but I wasn’t on edge, I wasn’t stress eating, and I generally felt less on edge.
    As it got closer to her moving in- I started to have panic attacks- I tried to speak to her, but she had no internet back home for skype and her CFS was being too bad to have proper phonecalls. So she moved in 2 weeks ago, and well, my feelings aren’t what they were. I’ve been trying to have things feel as they were- but I’m also terrified of things just being as they were.
    I care for her, and I’m doing what I can to help, and to look after her, but, and it’s weird to write this, I don’t think I love her anymore. Or if I do, it’s not enough.

It’s not just the daily stress- it’s the fear of the future (short term- my job may want me to relocate back) and long term (I don’t think we could have a family), and she keeps telling me I’m amazing and it’s eating me up inside.

I think I need to be selfish and end this- though it’s going to be horrible- and I know if I do she’s just going to have to go back to the family until she can find work wherever she wants it (though her old wage wasn’t enough to live on back in the old city) which kinda sucks and she genuinely thinks I’m great and I think it’s going to destroy her.
    Financially- I’m not in a perfect place- but as she currently isn’t earning I can sort train tickets, the cost of moving her stuff etc, I can also find places to crash for a few days if needed. Lease-wise- the place is only in my name, and she doesn’t have a job or other commitments here.

So I think the technical/financial/legal side of it will be fine, but as to the rest, how do you go about ending things with someone who you’ve been with for years, who thinks you’re great and lives with you? And especially as there’s no big clear cut reason (like cheating) but just my feelings of long-term incompatibility and my not being strong enough to always be the supportive partner/carer.

And to make matters more complicated- it’s our anniversary this weekend, and the following week/weekend her mother is due to stay for an amount of days.

I know I’m going to be the villain in this, I’ve accepted that, but whilst my feelings aren’t what they were I do care about her- so any advice about what I can do to make it as less-horrible as possible?

Thanks.
    Sounds really rough, I'm sorry you're going through that.

I think the only thing you can do is tell the truth.

"I love you, but I am no longer in love with you. I feel that it would be dishonest to stay with you when I no longer feel like we have a future together."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #366
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah man, the very fact that you use the term "villain" means you've been drawn into a pretty distorted way to look at the thing. Which is perfectly understandable, I mean, that's what would happen (and in a smaller way happened) to me too!

But this is (supposed to be) a relationship. It's something you (are supposed to) want, not something you stay into because of some sense of duty. You don't want it anymore. That's it. You literally don't need any other reason. You don't owe anything to anybody. You don't like her that way anymore, you don't stay with her that way anymore. That's how it's supposed to work.

The thing that you should do out of kindness towards her and towards yourself, is to do this as soon as possible. It will be a huge blow for her, and she'll need time to get back on her feet. You mentioned she was already planning to move back to her parents' for a while, right? Also, I would advise you to avoid any excuses. She'll realize they're excuses and they will make her feel even worse.

And then, after the deal is done, cut (or at least minimize) all contact for a while. You'll feel like a horrible person, like you abandoned somebody who needed you, like you're somehow guilty for all the pain she'll be going through. You'll also feel like you escaped from the rope hanging around your neck just before it could choke you to death. There's no easy way to get rid of that guilt, you just need to slowly get it out of your system, and to do that you need to avoid things that give you more guilt.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Arrrgh!

I just got done dealing with my first accident. I was in an area I don't know, pulled out of a parking lot onto the main road and was looking to the left to look for an opening when the car in front of me slammed their breaks. I hit mine but couldn't stop in time, rear ended them. Their SUV took a scratch, my tiny car died a tragic, low speed death.

Today sucks.

Edit: meant for this to be general woes thread.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2017-10-30 at 08:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Edit: meant for this to be general woes thread.
    We were assuming you had a special relationship with your car. :p
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    We were assuming you had a special relationship with your car. :p
    Dat muffler....

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    Would anybody mind taking a look at my OKCupid profile? Curious if I'm committing any accidental faux pas or something.
    If you want, I can take a look
    send me the link in private, or here, if you prefer
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Here it is, might as well put it up for the judgement of anybody else who wants to take a gander.
    The URL is set to profile, so it shows people their own.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oops, I thought I'd copied the link to my profile specifically. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait a minute, you decided to go ahead (for now at least) as a straight male rather than lesbian trans......?

As for your profile, it's well done and interesting. Be aware though that the main skill you'll need to develop (if you haven't had chances yet to hone it well already) isn't profile-writing, but rather how to efficiently message women.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

That's how I've decided to present.
    Best way to play with the hand you've been dealt, IMO. Good choice. (I obviously have never experienced gender dysphoria personally but I would have to assume it's not impossible to "turn it off" with enough willpower; there are soooo many things in life for which gender doesn't matter that I always figured if some weird magic trick gave me a normal female body overnight, I'd be able to live with it while continuing to feel 100% male inside.)

As for messaging, the most difficult part is usually to get a reply. If you've got a decent first reply rate, I'd say you've cleared the biggest hurdle and you're doing it right so far. :)

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I've sent twelve messages, and received replies to five of them; three of those I didn't end up replying to, and two resulted in conversations that, suffice it to say, went silent (could see that coming in one case, in the other, it wasn't expected). Not sure if batting 40% constitutes a decent reply rate...
    It's most definitely a great reply rate! And you felt you "could afford" to ignore three-fifths of the messages you received from these potential suitors, that's interesting!

I'd say, just continue to do what you're doing. You may, or not, want to get general advice (from everyone, not just from me) when you'll reach later stages (which is bound to happen, the way you're going) but for now, you seem perfectly fine. Good luck :)

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

For what it's worth, that's significantly better than my response rate
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a friend who's been flirting with me for a while and I hadn't really been responding. She finally sent me a text asking me out among other things. I responded truthfully that while I am kind of attracted to her I don't really think our personalities would work well for a long term relationship. Her response was to ask me out again. Ask if I wanted to give it a try despite everything. I mean do I do kind of like her but... What part of "I don't think we'd be a good relationship long term" makes her think I want to go on a date soon?

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

It's fairly similar to my response rate, and as a straight female I have better odds, so I too think it's a great response rate :)

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recherché View Post
    I have a friend who's been flirting with me for a while and I hadn't really been responding. She finally sent me a text asking me out among other things. I responded truthfully that while I am kind of attracted to her I don't really think our personalities would work well for a long term relationship. Her response was to ask me out again. Ask if I wanted to give it a try despite everything. I mean do I do kind of like her but... What part of "I don't think we'd be a good relationship long term" makes her think I want to go on a date soon?
    Maybe she just wants a fling?

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    It's fairly similar to my response rate, and as a straight female I have better odds, so I too think it's a great response rate :)
    Bi cis female here, and 40% is roughly my response rate, too. Also, twelve messages seem like a rather low number to be worrying about?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ettin in the Playground

@comrade
    you seem to be doing great, though if sexual identity/dysphoria plays an important role/are an issue in those relationships that go beyond the mere scope of friendship/conversation, you might want to find a way to at least acknowledge it in your profile, lest you are accused of misrepresenting yourself. I completely agree that you are free to be true to yourself, but how you introduce yourself does breed expectations in those you introduce yourself to... and you are stated to be on the market for short term dating, which in many people at the very least brings the option of hanky-panky on the table.
    The above is of course completely pointless if you purposedly only contaxt people who are explicitly and outspokenly fine with that situation and/or you clarify the point in your initial approach to them... but you want to also be contacted by the right people, not just ontact them yourself.

As has been noted, you seem to be doing great, so the following are put up merely for your consideration, things to integrate/expand upon, Feel absolutely free to stay as you are and not change a thing, since it's working just fine:
    I would consider adding an activity to do together that is social and/or physical... if there is such a thing that you like to do in your life. Your profiile strikes me as very active and highly intellectual, but somewhat reclusive and one-on-one in your potential interactions. This is very fine, but closes the door to women who might feel initially intimidated by intimate the setting. The question "what would a first date look like?" needs to be answered or some people will start thinking "well, ok, interesting, but what am I supposed to do with him other than talking?"
    You talk about food and exploring... so spell it out "I could show you the lesser known restaurants/ we could take a cooking class together/we could hit the town/go to do "this other thing" together". Any physical activity you like to do? a sport?
    You talk a lot about the things you like, but don't give an insight on the things you feel, your strengths or weeknesses and your character.

again, your profile is very good as is, just, maybe, may result less appealing to a portion of your target demographic than you want it to be or than it could be if you opened the door a little more on the inside, and gave an option or two for something to do together.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Beats me. Maybe she thought you were saying that because you wanted something short-term?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe it's just me, but tennis is a horrible idea for a date. It doesn't provide any opportunities to chat, plus it pits the two of you against each other. With most of my previous gfs the atmosphere after playing tennis wasn't especially friendly between us (we tend to be competitive, and it's not that easy for the loser to try not to resent the winner) so if you're anything like me, a tennis date would be the best way to make sure it's your last date.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Bi cis female here, and 40% is roughly my response rate, too. Also, twelve messages seem like a rather low number to be worrying about?
    You guys have to write first messages?!? I thought you'd be so flooded in incoming messages you wouldn't know where to begin, let alone having to shop for guys to write to that are external to the bunch who've contacted you already.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

My bet is that she thinks she can change your mind, or as stated, just wants a fling. I am thinking the former, since she just doubled down on the advances. And I don't think she's a bad person for thinking that, attraction makes people do stupid things.

If you do take her up on an offer for a fling, make 100% sure that's how she sees it. But I'm a bit wary that she didn't exactly address your concerns, so I think not pursuing it is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really have a frame of reference for that. I do know-- and I hope this doesn't sound arrogant-- that I very rarely see somebody on OKCupid that I feel particularly attracted to; I have sent a couple of messages to people I wasn't really attracted to, but in retrospect, this seems unfair and I regret that. I don't know if my 'standards' are too high (again, hope that I don't sound full of myself saying that) or if it's just the nature of the medium.
    Eh, people use it differently. I've been following the "if they are mostly cute and don't seem likely to skin and wear me, why not?" strategy for a while, and while that's making me want to crawl back to the more selective approach, I've also had some pretty neat dates with people I expected to be bored by. It might be worth widening your standards and allowing yourself to be surprised, if you're not happy with how many people you currently connect with.

You guys have to write first messages?!? I thought you'd be so flooded in incoming messages you wouldn't know where to begin, let alone having to shop for guys to write to that are external to the bunch who've contacted you already.
    You may be thinking of the few percent most conventionally attractive women.

I do get a good chunk of messages, but there are long stretches of time where the only things in my inbox are middle-aged men looking for threesomes or dudes whose idea of a profile is to scowl menacingly at a camera. All the cool, funny, interesting people are usually too busy being cool and interesting to write every girl they see.

And hell, I just plain like not being at the mercy of others' whims, and I think it generally makes the world a better place to even things out, and so I write.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

I've received first messages, but not that often. In my case I'm thinking it could be because I'm poly? The guys who do message everyone are easy to spot, they only say "hi" and nothing else in their message (or if they say something else, it's usually sexual) and their profiles are all about monogamous stuff, making it clear they have no idea I'm non-monogamous.

The kind of guy I like, non-monogamous nerds, doesn't send messages very often. I've received a few but I've sent more first messages than I've received. I think it's partly them being shy and partly them being busy? Not sure. Either way I've never had my inbox explode like in the trope, it's often months or longer between first messages.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe it's just me, but tennis is a horrible idea for a date. It doesn't provide any opportunities to chat, plus it pits the two of you against each other. With most of my previous gfs the atmosphere after playing tennis wasn't especially friendly between us (we tend to be competitive, and it's not that easy for the loser to try not to resent the winner) so if you're anything like me, a tennis date would be the best way to make sure it's your last date.
    Kinda agree here but more the logistics than the competition. I've played squash on dates before but you're at least close to the person and can talk to them easily. Tennis is yelling across the court which doesn't work well even in a casual game. Competition can be a good way of gauging if the person your with is the same level of competitive as you and how they take winning/losing. That has value.

28. - Top - End - #388

DwarfFighterGuy

That's true, I just have a hard time coming up with a natural opening message when it comes to people I'm just 'kind of' attracted to-- pardon the clumsy phrasing. I wouldn't want it to feel forced, nor would I want the other person to feel like I'm just messaging them for the sake of sending out messages and fishing for replies. But you're right, you can't always tell just from a profile whether you'll hit it off with somebody, so it's probably worth it.
    The big thing, I think, is to not make it about appearance and attraction. Don't go in with "OMG you're beautiful!", instead just grab something interesting off their profile and ask them about it.

"Hey there. How was that trip to Peru you mentioned on your profile? It sounds like it'd be fun!"

Then just chat a while, and see if the attraction builds. Maybe it doesn't. But oh well, you had a decent conversation at least.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Real talk, am I hideous? Just painfully average? Maybe even mildly aesthetically pleasing? Just from this photo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

30. - Top - End - #390

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Real talk, am I hideous? Just painfully average? Maybe even mildly aesthetically pleasing? Just from this photo:
    Spoiler
    Show
    From that picture, you appear to be nonexistent.

Sorry.