New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice XXVIII: Happy and Perfect!

In my experience, it's best to put out relationship vibes from the get go. People box things pretty quick, and once your in the friend box, your trying to overcome to much inertia to form a relationship.

"I really like you, want to grab dinner sometime" can work wonders. :-D
    You can call me Sivarias or Siv.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone
    F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I sure hope so, but the fact that she brought up her partner and then said she couldn't meet up as planned makes me think I'm probably not going to be hearing from her again.
    It sounds like she may have realized your and her perceptions of the situation were different, and felt awkward. Note that this doesn't mean there's no future friendship to be had, just that the one-on-one "date" was awkward enough to cancel.

So yeah, I'd leave the friendship offer on the table, and still be friendly towards her. It's up to her if she grabs at it or not.

(Alternately, something just came up, and the awkwardness is all in our heads.)

It's good to have caught it before anyone got emotionally invested, regardless of outcome.

3. - Top - End - #483

Quote Originally Posted by Sivarias View Post
    Thanks, I needed that. The realization for me was I spent the next 48ish hours snapping at everyone and everything. My inner cynic came out full force, and I borrowed a cigarette at work (something I've only ever done before on super stressful days, like maybe 10 times in the last year, and the day was super chill).

In other news, I got bloodwork back and finally figured out what was wrong with me. My pituitary gland more or less shut down, so weekly booster shots for 1-2 years, check to see if it reset itself, repeat! The doc says I should be high as kite on dopamine from the 20th to the 7th give or take a few days on either end, but I don't want to risk it.

*Shakes head* I still feel like a bad guy for bailing on CHRISTMAS of all holidays though. That guilt's not going away for a while.
    Christmas is twelve freakin' days. Be gentle to yourself. Don't do it.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    Christmas is twelve freakin' days. Be gentle to yourself. Don't do it.

Thanks. I honestly just needed permission, and my wife absolutely hates the *ahem* witch. So she's far from impartial.

Message me some time, I'd love to hear your story, and if you want, I can even tell you mine.

F.A.T.A.L. doesn't so much as scrape up against the Forum Rules as take a flying leap over the edge screaming 'GERONIMO'.

5. - Top - End - #485

Quote Originally Posted by Sivarias View Post
    Thanks. I honestly just needed permission, and my wife absolutely hates the *ahem* witch. So she's far from impartial.
    This would be witch with a capital B?

And you're welcome

6. - Top - End - #486
    Orc in the Playground

This would be witch with a capital B?

And you're welcome
    *fingerguns*

7. - Top - End - #487

So uh . . . in the moderately humorous situation that, hypothetically, one seemed to be developing a crush on one's ex's new girlfriend . . .

Help??

(Somehow I doubt there are many solutions to this except time and good sense, but I thought it would be amusing to y'all.)

8. - Top - End - #488

DwarfFighterGuy

So uh . . . in the moderately humorous situation that, hypothetically, one seemed to be developing a crush on one's ex's new girlfriend . . .

Help??

(Somehow I doubt there are many solutions to this except time and good sense, but I thought it would be amusing to y'all.)
    Hello, rom com department? We have a plot for you!

In seriousness, though? Yeah, don't. Nothing good can come from (purposely) getting between a couple, regardless of gender.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Colossus in the Playground

Help??

Yeah, disaster waiting to happen. What I'd do is take a deep breath, tell yourself that it's a bad idea, and distract yourself. Play some videogames, or some D&D, read a book, but don't focus on the new girl.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

10. - Top - End - #490

Quote Originally Posted by ve4grm View Post
    Hello, rom com department? We have a plot for you!

In seriousness, though? Yeah, don't. Nothing good can come from (purposely) getting between a couple, regardless of gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Yeah, disaster waiting to happen. What I'd do is take a deep breath, tell yourself that it's a bad idea, and distract yourself. Play some videogames, or some D&D, read a book, but don't focus on the new girl.
    You guys are right, yeah. Mostly sharing for the stupid annoying comedic value.

Feelings are so inconvenient sometimes!

11. - Top - End - #491

@AuthorGirl: I assume advising you to write a theatrical script about the whole thing would count as "bad advice", so I will limit myself to wondering whether I should advise it.

But yeah, sometimes one's feelings seem to like making things as hard as possible on purpose.
    Last edited by Cozzer; 2017-12-06 at 03:52 AM.

12. - Top - End - #492

So, I may have spent yesterday evening on a date. We cuddled up on the sofa and watched Deadpool (the most romantic of romantic movies ). After Mr Pool was finished, she asked why no-one had snapped me up before, I kinda told her I was asexual, and that while I really liked her, there were other factors at play. I also told her I was very inexperienced about everything, despite being 32. She responded by kissing me, and we may have spent about an hour making out (in her words, lesson 1, with further lessons to follow )

Aside from her now going to America for 3 weeks, there's no problem, I just kinda wanted to post my good news story and to say that you guys helped me come to terms with my asexuality, for which I am very thankful.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ettin in the Playground

All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

It's nice to hear good news anyway. Glad it's working out for you!

Man, my French girl (she'll get mad at me for saying that, but it's the easiest way) decided to not come over this month, so I'm next going to be seeing her in person sometime in January where hopefully I'll be able to make a trip to Paris. Going to be scary, it'll be the first time meeting the parents of somebody I like, and I don't even speak their language properly! I think I've got the basics down, be polite, don't insult their religion, don't mention how I want to be alone in a locked room with their daughter, so I'm excited. It'll be the first time I'll have seen her in person in months, and that's always going to be a good thing.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #495

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by qechua View Post
    Deadpool (the most romantic of romantic movies )
    There's a reason it came out on valentine's day! (And its posters claimed it was a romantic comedy.)

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It's nice to hear good news anyway. Glad it's working out for you!

Man, my French girl (she'll get mad at me for saying that, but it's the easiest way) decided to not come over this month, so I'm next going to be seeing her in person sometime in January where hopefully I'll be able to make a trip to Paris. Going to be scary, it'll be the first time meeting the parents of somebody I like, and I don't even speak their language properly! I think I've got the basics down, be polite, don't insult their religion, don't mention how I want to be alone in a locked room with their daughter, so I'm excited. It'll be the first time I'll have seen her in person in months, and that's always going to be a good thing.
    Just remember: "Bonjour! Je ne parle pas Francais. Ou es le toilette?"

16. - Top - End - #496
    Colossus in the Playground

You guys are right, yeah. Mostly sharing for the stupid annoying comedic value.

Feelings are so inconvenient sometimes!
    True. Very true.

Quote Originally Posted by qechua View Post
    So, I may have spent yesterday evening on a date. We cuddled up on the sofa and watched Deadpool (the most romantic of romantic movies ). After Mr Pool was finished, she asked why no-one had snapped me up before, I kinda told her I was asexual, and that while I really liked her, there were other factors at play. I also told her I was very inexperienced about everything, despite being 32. She responded by kissing me, and we may have spent about an hour making out (in her words, lesson 1, with further lessons to follow )

Aside from her now going to America for 3 weeks, there's no problem, I just kinda wanted to post my good news story and to say that you guys helped me come to terms with my asexuality, for which I am very thankful.
    That's awesome! I hope you and your lady friend have nothing but great times.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

I'm assuming that's 'Good day! I don't speak much French. where is the toilet'. Now all I need to know is 'no, I wasn't trying to take your daughter's clothes off. Honest' and I'll be sorted. Off to ask the girlfriend what the French is.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

18. - Top - End - #498

I'm assuming that's 'Good day! I don't speak much French. where is the toilet'. Now all I need to know is 'no, I wasn't trying to take your daughter's clothes off. Honest' and I'll be sorted. Off to ask the girlfriend what the French is.
    Uh, so . . . this is a common situation?

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Uh, so . . . this is a common situation?
    Well not in reality, she's of the 'wait until marriage' persuasion. She even refuses to stay with me when she visits London now, to stop herself from being tempted
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2017-12-06 at 03:03 PM.

Show

20. - Top - End - #500

DwarfFighterGuy

Basically, yes. More accurately "I don't speak French", not just that you don't speak much. (The "ne" and "pas" together form the negative.) Though once they hear your accent, I'm pretty sure everyone will know you don't actually speak the language (much).

For the second one, Google Translate is actually very accurate! I was trying to figure it out from my grade school Canadian French classes (which is somewhat different from Parisian French), and had to turn to it. https://translate.google.ca/#auto/fr...0clothes%20off

"Je n'essayais pas de retirer les vêtements de votre fille."

21. - Top - End - #501
    Bugbear in the Playground

So... this is kind of the complete opposite of what this thread normally entails, but I feel like it works here anyway: how do you make it clear (without being overbearing or uncomfortably straightforward) that you aren't asking somebody on a date? I feel like a lot of the time if somebody asks a person of the 'opposite sex' (to use binary terms, pardon me) to stay in touch, the assumption is their intention is romantic in nature. So how do you signal you're just interested in an acquaintanceship/friendship without prefacing it with something tactless like 'hey, totally not asking you out or anything, but...' ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

So, asking for second-hand help here. The situation is as follows:

A friend of mine isn't yet 100% ready to move on from their ex, a situation not helped at all by the fact that said ex isn't even completely off the table for future rekindling. Another person is quite likely into my friend, knows of their ex, and might be harming their friendship because of it. The new person (who my friend has actually grown to be quite fond of) is now detaching themselves from them at an alarming rate, and seems to have no time to talk to them, even upon request, while appearing to behave normally with others.

My current advice is for my friend to give the new person the space they need, while trying not to fully break contact. Is this okay at all? Is there anything I should add?

Thank you, guys! ^_^

That, and I'd say déshabiller (/de.za.bi.je/, or de[as in dengue]-za[with an open A as in ark]-bee-ye[with a closed E as in enter]), or "undress" would be more colloquial instead of retirer les vêtements, literally "removing the clothes"

Spoiler: Links & GitP Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by fyleisch View Post
    It's come to my attention that some people don't know how to pronounce the name of the deity Fharlanghn. It's simple though - you begin with a Ff- sound, then flap your mouth at random as sounds come out. Continue for 2-90 seconds, depending on devoutness and saliva levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    I think this is the most civil battle between Good and Evil I've ever seen...
    10 Commandments of Op./Practical Op.
    3.5 WBL/GP
    Cleric Domains

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

Well not in reality, she's of the 'wait until marriage' persuasion. She even refuses to stay with me when she visits London now, to stop herself from being tempted
    on the plus side, french cheese goes well with most things, blue balls included
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

don't mention how I want to be alone in a locked room with their daughter
    Normally, she should be willing, so there should be no need for the room to be locked :P
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a reason it came out on valentine's day! (And its posters claimed it was a romantic comedy.)

Congrats!

"Où sont les toilettes?"

On your side of the pond, alternatively, may be instead "où sont les WC?" (pronounced "vécés")
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    So... this is kind of the complete opposite of what this thread normally entails, but I feel like it works here anyway: how do you make it clear (without being overbearing or uncomfortably straightforward) that you aren't asking somebody on a date? I feel like a lot of the time if somebody asks a person of the 'opposite sex' (to use binary terms, pardon me) to stay in touch, the assumption is their intention is romantic in nature. So how do you signal you're just interested in an acquaintanceship/friendship without prefacing it with something tactless like 'hey, totally not asking you out or anything, but...' ?
    Well I know you don't like the "tactless" approach, but why don't you just say it straightforward?

"This was pretty fun, we should do it again sometime. I can give you my number, or maybe you can give me yours so we can keep in touch. FYI, This isn't like a pickup thing, in case your wondering; I just had fun and wouldn't mind hanging out again if you had time."

A recurring theme in all the time I've followed these threads is that the people here seem to make things a lot more complicated by *****-footing around the things they really want to say.

Be confident. Be clear. Save yourself from a lot of stupid problems.

My wife's is also straightforward. She says to say: "I enjoy being your friend; let's hang out some more."
    Last edited by Crow; 2017-12-06 at 10:15 PM.

27. - Top - End - #507

I agree with Crow and with being straightforward. If you want to avoid being tactless, make sure to emphasize more how you like them as a friend than how you don't like them as a potential partner.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Basically, yes. More accurately "I don't speak French", not just that you don't speak much. (The "ne" and "pas" together form the negative.) Though once they hear your accent, I'm pretty sure everyone will know you don't actually speak the language (much).

For the second one, Google Translate is actually very accurate! I was trying to figure it out from my grade school Canadian French classes (which is somewhat different from Parisian French), and had to turn to it. https://translate.google.ca/#auto/fr...0clothes%20off

"Je n'essayais pas de retirer les vêtements de votre fille."
    Well it'll certainly be useful, but I've heard that babbling and looking awkward is apparently a universal sign, so it might be fallen back on if I can't remember the words.

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    on the plus side, french cheese goes well with most things, blue balls included
    Okay, I'll admit, you'll make me chuckle. Partially because we were arguing over French Onion Soup earlier (I adore it, she hates any food involving liquid), but mostly because I just find it funny. Unfortunately I don't think making the balls smelly as well as blue will endear me to anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    Normally, she should be willing, so there should be no need for the room to be locked :P
    How else am I supposed to keep Wandering Parents out?

Show

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    The room is locked to avoid others coming in, not to prevent you two from leaving.
    Last edited by AMFV; 2017-12-07 at 12:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Hi Playground,
    But of a ramble coming. I've posted on here a few times over the last couple of years about my relationship, and well, ended it yesterday.

NOTE: I'm on my phone, if someone could tell me how to do spoiler tags, I'll hide most of this.

Spoiler: Spoilered for length/to avoid clogging up the thread
    Show
    It was sad for both of us. Devastating really. And the same today when she wanted to meet. I know it was my decision, and I know she'll be hurting more, but I feel like there's a huge hole in me now.
    Knowing we're not going to sit and watch Netflix together, or hold hands while we sleep (I get too hot for cuddles) has really hit me.
    I'm trying to remind myself that whilst if I'd asked her to marry me she would have, it wouldn't have worked and been what we both really wanted.
    There were lots of bad stretches every day, but the little bits of good each day made it not just bearable, but nice- but ultimately it was a relationship where the 'now' isn't perfect, but was good, but the future sucked, and after 3 years together, almost all of it living together, the future can't help but loom.
    I loved her, still do, and she really loves me, more than I've loved her and that's made me feel so guilty

I'm not going back on this, I know it wouldn't help, damage would be done, but it sucks to break someone's heart and just erase a future with someone you really care about.

I'm going forward with the sessions my new (really first one I've clicked with) therapist in the new year. Part of me wishes I'd found that route sooner, that maybe the problems I saw in our relationship wouldn't have overwhelmed me, that maybe I'd be able to do less, instead of feeling I need to shoulder everything. It wasn't my only reason for the split, but I do genuinely think I wouldn't be able to sort the things I need to sort in myself, whilst also looking after the us, when the us involves so much physical/medical pain, frustration and sadness.

I don't really know what I'm writing here for, mostly to use words I guess. I'm really not looking at future relationships and won't be for a long time, we kind of fell into this one, a proper 'meet-cute' and i have no idea how the future will work.

EDITED: Now with spoiler-tags
    Last edited by Stadge; 2017-12-12 at 04:03 AM.
    Punting, champagne and suits. Ah, the joys of being a Squashman and Anglo-Saxophonist.