Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I don't understand technology anymore...

Not directly related to things here but interesting.

On a windows machine: Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System, then right pane Find "install"

Even when set to not download and install it's still logging downloads and installs, one of these even reinstalled skype when that sort of thing turned off in the settings. Only 50ish comps in the building but it may explain where some of that bandwidth is going.
    Niven's Laws, #5
    If you've nothing to say, say it any way you like. Stylistic innovations, contorted story lines or none, exotic or genderless pronouns, internal inconsistencies, the recipe for preparing your lover as a cannibal banquet: feel free. If what you have to say is important and/or difficult to follow, use the simplest language possible. If the reader doesn't get it then, let it not be your fault.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    But lets not pretend that the opensource software community are saints when it comes to pushing users around.

It's not the big guy versus the little guy. I think in general there's always people who just like to exert power over other people in petty little ways. Some of them end up heading projects in large companies, some of them end up making open-source software, some of them end up as the community busybody.
    I think this sums up my sentiment. I mean there's people that think big companies are the ultimate evil in their lives. And about people having problems about OS, yes they can complain, but its overboard when you say a product is Malware and Adware and other stuff. Oh, and about those information, they already state that they will use that private info. Of course that big companies will go overboard with protecting their code and IP because there are a lot of trolls. Like patent trolls that will drain money and time.

But I am wary of what I do. I just don't expect any privacy when on the internet or on my computer. Unless I want to live alone in a cabin in nowhere and being self-sustaining.

And one final note, it's normal for something or someone to try to control your actions on what you do. As a programmer I WANT people to use the thing I created by how I designed it.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ubuntu also tries to shape the behavior of the userbase
    Everyone does. To a greater or lesser degree. But in some cases it becomes dominant motivation, the one that shapes everything.

It's not the big guy versus the little guy. I think in general there's always people who just like to exert power over other people in petty little ways. Some of them end up heading projects in large companies, some of them end up making open-source software, some of them end up as the community busybody.
    It's the question of money. If it's free software (I'm siding with Stallman here: opensource misses the point), then the people in charge of project might or might not exert power in annoying ways. But if it's commercial, it's mandatory for people to exert power - whether they like it or not. Almost everything is commercialized, after all.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lazymancer View Post
    Don't touch Win 10, unless you can't help it. It's a malware, wrapped in a spyware, inside an adware.

Seriously, logic of Win 10 is based on attempts to shape behaviour of userbase, rather than being useful.
    At least they're not as bad as Apple, whom their current design ideology was largely stolen from and who up until a few years ago were led by a megalomaniacal control freak who in many ways resembled a cult leader, tinpot dictator, or supervillain.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-06-23 at 08:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I've got the same problem of the OP and since I couldn't understand it I downloaded and installed adBlock only to show to the site that I in fact have a disabled adBlock installed. The fact that it worked made it even funnier.
    I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please pretend that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

BLUE text implies sarcasm in my posts. Please don't take seriously anything written in blue by me.

You can stop reading my signature now

Spoiler: Achievements in the playground
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

I built a new computer from scratch over the last month and a half and installed Ubuntu on it. It bricked the first time I tried to get the video card drivers working. After a re-install, it worked okay for about a week, and then Steam randomly stopped working. It would not load, run, etc.

With no way to view active processes or tell what was going on, and nothing helpful on the internet (none of the 1 year old forum threads had anything useful).... I ordered a copy of Win7.
    It still has a few years of patches left, and I'll probably be good for a few years beyond that.

Maybe by 2022 Ubuntu will be stable/reliable, easy to use, and will have some ####### documentation that doesn't assume you've used it for 5 years and know how to do everything that's assumed and thus left out of the "step by step" directions.
    For your DM's sanity, please Subscribe to your games and check at least once per day. PMing people to remind them to post gets old very quickly.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Maybe by 2022 Ubuntu will be stable/reliable, easy to use, and will have some ####### documentation that doesn't assume you've used it for 5 years and know how to do everything that's assumed and thus left out of the "step by step" directions.
    One of the help functions in Ubuntu opens an IRC client and goes to the channel #ubuntu. I have a pretty high success rate of finding help there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

BlackDragon

No way to view active processes? There's a System Monitor right there in the menu, or has been on every Linux installation I've used recently.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

I never found either one, and none of the documentation or articles that I found when dealing with issues ever mentioned their existence. Most "How do I X?" or "How do I solve Y?" issues seemed to be resolved with a few lines of command code, but nobody ever bothers to explain the underlying principles.
    For your DM's sanity, please Subscribe to your games and check at least once per day. PMing people to remind them to post gets old very quickly.