New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    I like the vaguely Brittish "ribbing."
    Thats much better. Thanks!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #902
    Troll in the Playground

Be prepared for obnoxious pendantry:
    People talking about Wens-day instead of Wednesday.
    Feb-uary instead of February.
    People who get mad at me for using the nom-Emphatic negative. I care not if it be archaic; I am just too dispassionate when I am not hyperbolic. (Forgive the awful joke).

3. - Top - End - #903

Quote Originally Posted by ZamielVanWeber View Post
    Be prepared for obnoxious pendantry:
    People talking about Wens-day instead of Wednesday.
    Feb-uary instead of February.
    People who get mad at me for using the nom-Emphatic negative. I care not if it be archaic; I am just too dispassionate when I am not hyperbolic. (Forgive the awful joke).
    You learn all that at the libary?

4. - Top - End - #904
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You learn all that at the libary?
    My mother learned English at a prestigious school in Singapore (she is American, long story) so actually uses the old school pronunciations, which were passed onto me. As for my grammar being extremely archaic I have no one but myself to blame.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

L-i-b-r-a-r-y

instead of

L-i-b-e-r-r-y.

One of many lessons my wife was annoyed enough to teach me.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

6. - Top - End - #906

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    L-i-b-r-a-r-y

instead of

L-i-b-e-r-r-y.

One of many lessons my wife was annoyed enough to teach me.
    I'm embarrassed. My face is all red like a strawbrerry.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-05-11 at 09:46 PM.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"Their at you're house picking up there stuff, your free to meet them they're"

It bothers me that it's mainly native English speaker who do this.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Zinarik View Post

Native speakers learn the words long before they learn to spell them. Non-native speakers most likely learn them in print before they can say them properly.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Firbolg in the Playground

The second error is still unacceptable as the pronounciation of those words is distinct
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    The second error is still unacceptable as the pronounciation of those words is distinct
    Depends on who you ask. Many places have them as direct homophones.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2018-05-20 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ogre in the Playground

As much as those errors make me tear my hair out, that's dependent on dialect.

These three words, in most dialects, are pronounced the same. However, I know a public school teacher in Appalachia who pronounces the third word distinctly from the other two. (She says "Thur" with the hard "th.")
    There
    They're
    Their

Whether or not these two are pronounced the same is entirely dependent on dialect.
    Your
    You're

There are three basic pronunciations that can be applied to those two: "Yore" (as the word yore), "Yoor" (rhymes with lure), and "Yurr" (or if you prefer, "yer," rhymes with burr). People who pronounce the two words distinctly from one another, I find, usually pronounce the first word "yore" or "yurr" and the second word "yoor." Friendly reminder: that's not universal.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I don't pronounce "they're" anything like the other two? I actually say "theyur", since it's an abbreviation for "they are".

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    As much as those errors make me tear my hair out, that's dependent on dialect.

These three words, in most dialects, are pronounced the same. However, I know a public school teacher in Appalachia who pronounces the third word distinctly from the other two. (She says "Thur" with the hard "th.")
    There
    They're
    Their

Whether or not these two are pronounced the same is entirely dependent on dialect.
    Your
    You're

There are three basic pronunciations that can be applied to those two: "Yore" (as the word yore), "Yoor" (rhymes with lure), and "Yurr" (or if you prefer, "yer," rhymes with burr). People who pronounce the two words distinctly from one another, I find, usually pronounce the first word "yore" or "yurr" and the second word "yoor." Friendly reminder: that's not universal.

Interesting.

I've always assumed that both were always homonyms.

"Learning is happening."

Thanks.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zinarik View Post

YToul mean, they are homophones where I come from, but if you know your basic English you'll know the third is a contraction, so they'res no reason you can't just ask yourself 'is the word I need a contraction.

...internal fluid covered fiery place. Mistake 100% intentional.

But yeah, when it's not being used for bad humour, or during note taking (where it'll presumably be corrected later) it's really annoying.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #915

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't pronounce "they're" anything like the other two? I actually say "theyur", since it's an abbreviation for "they are".
    You use a two-syllable "abbreviation" for two single-syllable words? Are you Australian or something?

16. - Top - End - #916
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    You use a two-syllable "abbreviation" for two single-syllable words? Are you Australian or something?
    It's just how I pronounce it. Theyur is still shorter than "They are" and sounds less formal, too.

17. - Top - End - #917

MonkGuy

This doesn't exactly bug me, and it's not really a "misuse" so much as a re-definition, but given that the "Words that sound more interesting than what they actually mean" thread has close, this seems the best place to mention it:

"Alienist".

In various games, its some sort of mystic that gets power from or tries to control Lovecraftian entities from beyond the veil of reality.

In the real world, its an archaic term for a psychiatrist or psychologist.

I wonder if some time in the future, games will use "psychologist" as aname for some sort of psychic wizard.

18. - Top - End - #918

Claiming that "barbarian" means "foreigner", in a conversation being conducted in the English language (and not in any way in Greek). This is a genetic/etymological fallacy.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    I wonder if some time in the future, games will use "psychologist" as aname for some sort of psychic wizard.
    The Foundation Trilogy actually uses psychology as another term for psychic powers. Of course there the idea is that these future psychologists have such good understanding of the mind they can read your mind via your body language and alter your mind via sending nonverbal signals. While they do seem to have some form of legitimate telepathy it's actually pretty minor compared to their ability to read people (and it's not clear how much of their mind altering is psychic and how much is psychology.

If you need to distinguish between the two the actually powers are I believe 'mentalics', but the trilogy makes the point that psychology might add m develop enough to perfectly imitate the lower levels.

Notably instead of having actual telepathic communication psychologists can communicate via slight gestures and highly developed body language, to the point that this forms most of their conversations amongst themselves.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

There's always "this problem is exacerbated by...". In most cases, the only additional thing you're communicating by using 'exacerbated' instead of 'compounded' or 'made worse' is that you think I'm supposed to be impressed by your use of a five-syllable word.

As for "this problem is exasperated by...", that's basically the written English equivalent of a faceplant.

Another thing that always bugs me is misuse of reflexive pronouns, e.g., "I thought it would be prudent to contact yourselves...".

I also hate the use of 'cooperate' instead of 'co-operate' ('coöperate' is fine).

21. - Top - End - #921

Using "Begs the question" instead of "Raises the question". This is extra annoying since I sometimes run into people using "begs the question" correctly ("Left-handed people are better painters because right-handed people can't paint as well.", which begs the question). For people not interested in philosophy, this might not be much of an issue, since people rarely use "begs the question" correctly outside of philosophy, it seems. Still, it's annoying. This might not fall under "completely unimportant", but it's still not really all that important.

Also, when people say or write "I wish I was" or "If I was" instead of "I wish I were" or "If I were" for unreal cases. This does fall under "Completely unimportant" since it is perfectly clear what they mean, even if they are incorrect.

Oh, and "I can care less" instead of "I can't care less". Again, completely unimportant, but slightly annoying.

22. - Top - End - #922

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    There's always "this problem is exacerbated by...". In most cases, the only additional thing you're communicating by using 'exacerbated' instead of 'compounded' or 'made worse' is that you think I'm supposed to be impressed by your use of a five-syllable word.
    And using "compounded" instead of "made worse" only communicates that you think I'm impressed by your use of a three-way lable word. Especially since the sound always comes from below me, what with me being on my high horse and all.

Exacerbate is a fairly common word. Unless the speaker is peppering their talk with large words, they don't give a hoot about you being impressed, they are just using a perfectly fine word in normal conversation. And if they are talking like they looked up half the words in a thesaurus, the whole thing is pretty obvious because it doesn't sound natural.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Exacerbate is a fairly common word. Unless the speaker is peppering their talk with large words, they don't give a hoot about you being impressed, they are just using a perfectly fine word in normal conversation. And if they are talking like they looked up half the words in a thesaurus, the whole thing is pretty obvious because it doesn't sound natural.
    If you encounter it a lot, then that's fair enough. I can't say I think of 'exacerbate' as a reasonably common word myself though.

In any event, there are simpler alternatives, and I'm not aware of it expressing an idea better than the alternatives do. I simply can't see the word as contributing usefully to the English language. Moreover, far too many people mistake it for the more useful 'exasperate'.

Once I've finished seizing absolute control over the English language, 'exacerbate' is going on the chopping block.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    Using "Begs the question" instead of "Raises the question". This is extra annoying since I sometimes run into people using "begs the question" correctly ("Left-handed people are better painters because right-handed people can't paint as well.", which begs the question). For people not interested in philosophy, this might not be much of an issue, since people rarely use "begs the question" correctly outside of philosophy, it seems. Still, it's annoying. This might not fall under "completely unimportant", but it's still not really all that important.
    Something like "prompts the question" or "raises the question" is what naturally comes to mind when you put those words together in that order. Not "is a proof that depends upon that which was to be proven". I agree that you need a term for that sort of proof, but I don't see the problem with just talking about petitio principii. Nobody ever saw a need to run reductio ad absurdum or argumentum ad hominem through a mangle -- yet both of those phrases could emerge from the mangle with their meanings intact.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2018-06-02 at 09:50 AM.

24. - Top - End - #924

And using "compounded" instead of "made worse" only communicates that you think I'm impressed by your use of a three-way lable word. Especially since the sound always comes from below me, what with me being on my high horse and all.

My in-laws sometimes harass me about peppering my speech with obscure words (or obscure meanings of words). I believe their actual complaint is that I "make up words" (which I seldom do). On occasion they have accused me of using fancy speech to sound smart, but when my attempts to explain the meaning of an obscure word ended up using even more obscure words they finally accepted that I use a wide vocabulary in my normal speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    My in-laws sometimes harass me about peppering my speech with obscure words (or obscure meanings of words). I believe their actual complaint is that I "make up words" (which I seldom do). On occasion they have accused me of using fancy speech to sound smart, but when my attempts to explain the meaning of an obscure word ended up using even more obscure words they finally accepted that I use a wide vocabulary in my normal speech.
    There's nothing wrong with having or using a wide vocabulary. I brought up that one specific word, because it has no apparent use.

26. - Top - End - #926

Quote Originally Posted by lesser_minion View Post
    If you encounter it a lot, then that's fair enough. I can't say I think of 'exacerbate' as a reasonably common word myself though.

In any event, there are simpler alternatives, and I'm not aware of it expressing an idea better than the alternatives do. I simply can't see the word as contributing usefully to the English language. Moreover, far too many people mistake it for the more useful 'exasperate'.
    This isn't something I ever thought I'd say, but maybe you should move to Alabama. You'd have a lot fewer instances of that, I'm pretty sure.

27. - Top - End - #927

Quote Originally Posted by Sylian View Post
    They're both well established in the language and, even though I was just complaining about genetic fallacies, I feel compelled to point out that the name of fallacy was based on a ridiculous mistranslation. Furthermore I don;t think I've ever seen "begging the question", the fallacy, conjugated to "begs the question", so the argument could be made that they're two distinct but similar sounding idioms. Or at least it could were it not for the fact that the other can be constructed from the english language normally, and thus is arguably not an idiom but rather just a saying

Omegaupdate Forum

28. - Top - End - #928

Zombie

Claiming that "barbarian" means "foreigner", in a conversation being conducted in the English language (and not in any way in Greek). This is a genetic/etymological fallacy.
    My English dictionary's first definition of "barbarian" is "a person from an alien land, culture, or group considered to be inferior, uncivilized, or violent". So, yes, it basically means "bad foreigner" in English.

29. - Top - End - #929

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    My English dictionary's first definition of "barbarian" is "a person from an alien land, culture, or group considered to be inferior, uncivilized, or violent". So, yes, it basically means "bad foreigner" in English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxford English Dictionary
    barbarian
    NOUN

1 (in ancient times) a member of a people not belonging to one of the great civilizations (Greek, Roman, Christian)
    ‘the city was besieged by the barbarians’

1.1 An uncultured or brutish person.
    ‘you arrogant barbarian!’

ADJECTIVE

1 Relating to ancient barbarians.
    ‘barbarian invasions’
    More example sentencesSynonyms
    1.1 Uncultured; brutish.
    Imean, you're technically correct, it is the first definition, but I don't think that necessarily helps your case.

30. - Top - End - #930

Zombie

Imean, you're technically correct, it is the first definition, but I don't think that necessarily helps your case.
    Neither of the definitions you give mean "berserker" the way D&D uses it, which is the only argument I've seen here recently about the meaning of "barbarian". A character class called barbarian should either be an outsider or just an uneducated person with low social skills. That's not much to build a class around.