New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Really? That sounds wrong. Let me google that. Nope, it seems that it's common to turn proper nouns into generic words. If you want, I'll use one of the xeroxes in the office to fax you the results, but it might have to wait until I take two aspirins and grab a bunch of kleenex, 'cause I have a wicked cold*.
    Psh, Americans.

Not sure how that supports the point... but in any case I note that in the link you provide, "Achilles" is capitalised.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Psh, Americans.
    You want me to use sellotape, then, mate?

Not sure how that supports the point... but in any case I note that in the link you provide, "Achilles" is capitalised.
    Since the picture is clearly not of the actual Achilles, capitalised or not, is now "a generic term for flying horses the foot's tendon", just like Pegasus isn't a specific flying horse, but every flying horse.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

3. - Top - End - #453
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    On a related note to borrowed words and affixes I'm extremely put off by people who insist the words "pegasi" and "octopi" are incorrect because "octopus" and "pegasus" aren't words that were borrowed from latin. What they fail to understand is that it isn't a matter of whether we borrowed the word from latin or not, what's actually going on is that the english language has a pluralization rule that was borrowed from latin
    Then can I pluralize ruckus into rucki? I think that Pegasi is wrong because there only was only one Pegasus: Latin didn't have any correct way to pluralize it. However, if you decided that there are more than one, then I am OK with it, because Pegasus isn't Greek any more, it's a Latin word borrowed from Greek, and it belongs to the second declension and is not neuter, so its plural nominative is -i. See Metellus, Metelli (Fato Metelli Romae fiunt consules)
    Octopi also is wrong, because it completely misses the point. Octopus had a genitive in octopodos, and plural in octopodes: third declension. It has nothing to do with the -us > -i plural for Latin, as could other Greek words that Latin borrowed (like Centaurus > Centauri), which came from the second declension.

I don't think the pluralization rule actually allows you to pluralize in -i all words that end in -us, independently from their origin. I think it allows you to do so only with words from Latin's second declension, or that try to build themselves as second declension Latin words.

Since the picture is clearly not of the actual Achilles, capitalised or not, is now "a generic term for flying horses the foot's tendon", just like Pegasus isn't a specific flying horse, but every flying horse.
    No, that's a different structure. Achilles here has turned into an adjective, not in a generic term. Saying "Achilles tendon" is like saying "football team" or "Mercedes-Benz engine". If it had been this same structure, you'd say "Pegasus horse", not pegasus, the same way in which you don't say "Achilles" meaning "heel cord".
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    No, that's a different structure. Achilles here has turned into an adjective, not in a generic term. Saying "Achilles tendon" is like saying "football team" or "Mercedes-Benz engine". If it had been this same structure, you'd say "Pegasus horse", not pegasus, the same way in which you don't say "Achilles" meaning "heel cord".
    I fail to see the difference. If Achilles was exclusively the Greek legend, Achilles tendon would only ever refer to the cording on the Greek hero. It doesn't. Therefore, Achilles is no longer exclusively the guy, but some generic word to refer to a body part almost everyone has. Compare that to your own "Mercedes-Benz engine", which can only refer to engines made by a specific manufacturer, whereas a xerox machine doesn't need to have been fabricated by Xerox.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Ive for sure heard people say "my achilles" referring to the aforementioned tendon and not their own personal greek hero
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

6. - Top - End - #456

I fail to see the difference. If Achilles was exclusively the Greek legend, Achilles tendon would only ever refer to the cording on the Greek hero. It doesn't. Therefore, Achilles is no longer exclusively the guy, but some generic word to refer to a body part almost everyone has. Compare that to your own "Mercedes-Benz engine", which can only refer to engines made by a specific manufacturer, whereas a xerox machine doesn't need to have been fabricated by Xerox.
    There is a very concrete difference. One is grammar: the difference between name and adjective.

Achilles = name

Achilles tendon = adjective followed by name

Pegasi = name

Pegasus horses = adjective followed by name

The point is that the Achilles in Achilles tendon is just the hero from the Greek legend. His name is used as adjective, to determine which tendon is being talked about within the frame of the human body. Since that is a tendon that (almost) all humans have, but was very meaningful in Achilles' case, it is named after him. It's not Achilles which is broader in its meaning: Achilles is used as a determiner to narrow down which tendon is of interest.

It is possible that my reading is due to the fact that everyone I know knows who Achilles is and how he died, and saying Achilles tendon would be clear even if they never had heard this tendon's name. In a place where people don't know this, I guess it could become like Béchamel sauce, where the name has survived in spite of the fact that very few know who Béchamel was. The difference is that there are terms for people who don't know who Achilles is, like heel cord, which are just as clear and would likely substitute Achilles tendon, if the reference were to become obscure.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #457

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Ive for sure heard people say "my achilles" referring to the aforementioned tendon and not their own personal greek hero
    Really? I never heard that. I guess I stand corrected.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

What bothers me more about "pegasus", though, is that Pegasus is a proper noun; it's the name of the particular flying horse, not a generic term for flying horses and thus can't really be pluralised anyway, any more than Achilles can. Flying horses in general are "pterippi", iirc. Same goes for Cerberus. Though I accept I lost that battle a while ago, probably around the first time a D&D monster manual was sold.
    Do you similarly complain about "hermaphrodite?" Because the noble Greek god Hermaphrodites, spawn of Hermes and Aphrodite, was so beautiful that a nymph fell in love with him. However, as he did not love the nymph, he turned himself into a woman to avoid her.* Yet now it's a term for someone born with both male and female sexual organs, and not the specific person. So it's not like there isn't precedence for this sort of thing, especially concerning Greek mythology.

*to the best of my recollection. What's a google?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #459

The version I heard was that she stalked him so closely they eventually fused into a single creature or something like that; somehow they got fused together
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

10. - Top - End - #460
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    But that's obviously just because it's that much shorter, and everybody will know what you mean, like saying "The War" instead of the Second World War, or something. But Pegasus isn't just a common shortening of pegasus horse.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

What bothers me about portemanteaux is that they mean what they do in English. It's just the French word for coat-hanger. I know the reason for the etymology, it just annoys me. That and the random use of French words in otherwise English sentences when there are perfectly good English words.

For the plural of octopus, I understand that octopi, octopodes and octopuses are all considered correct, but I personally use "octopuses". I also say "cactuses". I don't think the English plural should ever be "wrong" in English, even when it's not the only accepted form. Although I guess "I'm having some spaghettos" may sound weird. Actually, it would probably sound like a coat-hanger.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    The version I heard was that she stalked him so closely they eventually fused into a single creature or something like that; somehow they got fused together
    I'll cop to probably remembering it wrong.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    But that's obviously just because it's that much shorter, and everybody will know what you mean, like saying "The War" instead of the Second World War, or something. But Pegasus isn't just a common shortening of pegasus horse.
    Sure...

I may have missed the point of contention here
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    Although I guess "I'm having some spaghettos" may sound weird.
    Pretty sure that's a type of pasta

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Um, why not? Are you also offended by the word "television" containing the Greek-derived root "tele" and the Latin-derived "vision" alongside each other?
    Both "vision", meaning "sight/something that's seen", and the prefix "tele-", meaning "at a distance (as in 'telescope', 'telegraph', 'telephone', 'telegram') - with particular reference to 'enabled by new-fangled electrificial technology'" - were already well established in English by the time "television" was coined. They had each, independently, already been detached from their roots.

I would say that the same is true of "car". But not "Armageddon". (Independent verification: my browser's spellchecker marks the word as an error *unless* I capitalise it, in which case it's fine.)
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

16. - Top - End - #466
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I would say that the same is true of "car". But not "Armageddon". (Independent verification: my browser's spellchecker marks the word as an error *unless* I capitalise it, in which case it's fine.)
    But the dictionary would disagree with you. The first meaning given on dictionary.com is the placename Armageddon, but the other meanings are:

2. the last and completely destructive battle:
    The arms race can lead to Armageddon.

3. any great and crucial conflict.

Neither of those refers to a specific place.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

I will have to admit my ignorance, I didn't know Armageddon was a place. I though it was another word for apocalypse.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    Oh, I have one that bugs me to no end: when people combine words that just don't sound all that well toegther. Say, the word car, and the word armageddon. Combine it, you get carmageddon. That's nice, because car and the first syllable of armageddon sound the same, so the words flow together. It is pleasing to hear. Now take ANY other word, say price. Pricemageddon. That's ugly, and it sounds ugly.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    It's also missing the glorious quasi-alliteration that is Pricepocalypse.

And on that note, scandals being Whatever-gate. If modern news media covered the Nixon Scandals it would have been Watergate-Gate.
    I'll just throw "-holic" on that list as well, where it gets joined up weirdly with other words.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

I will have to admit my ignorance, I didn't know Armageddon was a place. I though it was another word for apocalypse.
    That's convoluted.

"Apocalypse" is derived from the greek word "apokalypsis", meaning "revelation". In ancient days, writings were often titled simply by their first word or line, so a certain important bit of prophetic writing from the first century AD became known eventually as "Apokalypsis", and later "The Apocalypse of John". This work is heavily concerned with the end of the world, and mentions that the final battle ever will take place at a mysterious location called "Armageddon".

After a little under 2000 years of popcultural osmosis, both words are now little more than synonyms for the end of the world.

20. - Top - End - #470

I think it was called Apocalypse "of St. John" because there were a good number of such texts running around. It is rather strange that the writer is supposed to be John, because his other works are very Hellenized, while the Apocalypse is very, very Jewish.
    Using the first word to set the theme of the work was very common in the ancient times, so the first word of the Iliad is "wrath" (because it revolves around Achilles' wrath), and the first word of the Odyssey is "man" (the man being Odysseus), the first ones of the Aeneid are "weapons and man" (Aeneas and the heredity of Troy), the first words of Aristoteles' Poetics are "About poetics"... So choosing the first word as a title was often done if the first word already was something of a title.
    I am not sure of how the habit of giving titles developed itself, it must be an interesting story. In the middle ages, it was still normal not to use titles, using instead the first verse of a poem, or a general name + the author's name (Dante's Comedy being a very famous and debated example).

21. - Top - End - #471

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    And on that note, scandals being Whatever-gate. If modern news media covered the Nixon Scandals it would have been Watergate-Gate.
    A few years back, the Watergate building underwent some renovation. Part way through, it was observed that the construction was slightly behind schedule. Probably the delay was due to any of the normal reasons a construction project could be delayed. However, some in the media speculated that the so-called "delay" was in fact part of a cover-up for a sinister scandal, to which the entire renovation of the Watergate building was just a pretext. I don't think anyone actually believed in this scandal, so much as they really wanted it to be true so that they could call it Watergategate.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    the final battle ever will take place at a mysterious location called "Armageddon".
    It's not so much "a mysterious location" as "a specific hill in northern Israel".

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    It's not so much "a mysterious location" as "a specific hill in northern Israel".
    That is the most popular interpretation, but it is not the only one - there is a huge amount of debate on the subject. That is as far as we can go here.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    A few years back, the Watergate building underwent some renovation. Part way through, it was observed that the construction was slightly behind schedule. Probably the delay was due to any of the normal reasons a construction project could be delayed. However, some in the media speculated that the so-called "delay" was in fact part of a cover-up for a sinister scandal, to which the entire renovation of the Watergate building was just a pretext. I don't think anyone actually believed in this scandal, so much as they really wanted it to be true so that they could call it Watergategate.
    Let us not forget the incident involving Andrew Mitchell, which among other names is known as gategate.

25. - Top - End - #475

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    So, that these news outlets were purposefully making a scandal out of nothing should have been labeled "Watergategate-gate", right? I'm surprised nobody tried to do that. It would have ended the practice of labeling things "gate" right quick. I guess it is too much to expect reporters to be that quick on their feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

26. - Top - End - #476

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    That's convoluted.

"Apocalypse" is derived from the greek word "apokalypsis", meaning "revelation". In ancient days, writings were often titled simply by their first word or line, so a certain important bit of prophetic writing from the first century AD became known eventually as "Apokalypsis", and later "The Apocalypse of John". This work is heavily concerned with the end of the world, and mentions that the final battle ever will take place at a mysterious location called "Armageddon".

After a little under 2000 years of popcultural osmosis, both words are now little more than synonyms for the end of the world.
    This process is known as "distinction between apocalypse and armageddon ocalypse."

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    So, that these news outlets were purposefully making a scandal out of nothing should have been labeled "Watergategate-gate", right? I'm surprised nobody tried to do that. It would have ended the practice of labeling things "gate" right quick. I guess it is too much to expect reporters to be that quick on their feet.
    Huh, I never thought of that. I guess my failure to think of the name Watergategategate shall henceforth be known as Watergategategategate!

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think the English plural should ever be "wrong" in English, even when it's not the only accepted form.
    As a general rule, that's not bad, but I can't accept it universally. My counter-example is "hypothesis". The only acceptable plural is "hypotheses", because "hypothesises" sounds really dumb to my ear.

In the other direction, I find the plural-plural form "operas" to be grating, but it's still correct English.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    As a general rule, that's not bad, but I can't accept it universally. My counter-example is "hypothesis". The only acceptable plural is "hypotheses", because "hypothesises" sounds really dumb to my ear.

In the other direction, I find the plural-plural form "operas" to be grating, but it's still correct English.
    In general it only really doesn't work with words that are already plural but their singular form is so uncommon as to be relatively obscure. Nobody says "datums" or "criterions", but it would still sound wrong if people talked about "datas" or "criterias".
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

When at work and a customer is going to pay for their goods.
    "Do you have the chip?"

No, we do not. The chip is on your card. You have the chip. Our terminal utilizes chip and pin features on credit and debit cards, yes, but we do not provide you with the chip. That is the exact opposite of what needs to occur in this transaction. You provide us with the chip. That's how the chip works. That's the point of the chip. The chip lets your bank know that you're there in person. If we had the chip, we would be you. And, of course, since I'm in a place that's slow to adopt supporting these features, the most direct response that gets the customer taken care of and happy?

"Yes."

Over. And over. Again.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

I assume what they're asking is "can your terminal read the chip on my card"?