New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    In general it only really doesn't work with words that are already plural but their singular form is so uncommon as to be relatively obscure. Nobody says "datums" or "criterions", but it would still sound wrong if people talked about "datas" or "criterias".
    I wish I could find the post I got this from, and give proper credit to the originator.
    Spoiler: Proper Use of Data Explained
    Show
    Singular Data:

Plural Data:

Data as a Collective:

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Ive for sure heard people say "my achilles" referring to the aforementioned tendon and not their own personal greek hero

My Achilles Matchmaking
    "When you want a warrior"

Also:
    My Atalanta Dating
    "When you need a huntress"

There may be a market!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    When at work and a customer is going to pay for their goods.
    "Do you have the chip?"

No, we do not. The chip is on your card. You have the chip. Our terminal utilizes chip and pin features on credit and debit cards, yes, but we do not provide you with the chip. That is the exact opposite of what needs to occur in this transaction. You provide us with the chip. That's how the chip works. That's the point of the chip. The chip lets your bank know that you're there in person. If we had the chip, we would be you. And, of course, since I'm in a place that's slow to adopt supporting these features, the most direct response that gets the customer taken care of and happy?

"Yes."

Over. And over. Again.
    Oh gosh yes. This annoys me to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    I assume what they're asking is "can your terminal read the chip on my card"?
    Yes, this is what they mean, but it is not what they are saying.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    When at work and a customer is going to pay for their goods.
    "Do you have the chip?"

No, we do not. The chip is on your card. You have the chip. Our terminal utilizes chip and pin features on credit and debit cards, yes, but we do not provide you with the chip. That is the exact opposite of what needs to occur in this transaction. You provide us with the chip. That's how the chip works. That's the point of the chip. The chip lets your bank know that you're there in person. If we had the chip, we would be you. And, of course, since I'm in a place that's slow to adopt supporting these features, the most direct response that gets the customer taken care of and happy?

"Yes."

Over. And over. Again.
    I think I always phrase it "do you have the chip-readers?" or "does your chip-reader work?" I think. I might have said "do you chip?" once. I hate those things (though I understand that they are supposed to make things more secure).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

I love chip cards. I was flabbergasted when I moved to the US and people were using swipe-and-sign cards. I'm so happy that chip cards are starting to be used here as well, anything else just feels weird (I grew up when chip cards were already in common use, though, so I'm sure habit has a lot to do with it).

6. - Top - End - #486
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    In general it only really doesn't work with words that are already plural but their singular form is so uncommon as to be relatively obscure. Nobody says "datums" or "criterions", but it would still sound wrong if people talked about "datas" or "criterias".
    Similarly, how often do you ever hear people correctly refer to a single random-number rolling cube as a "die"? It's almost invariably referred to as "a dice" or "many dice", despite the latter technically being correct and the former not.

7. - Top - End - #487

How about millennium - millennia? That one also has millennia used as a singular, although it's wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

Dice IS actually the singular, too. It's become common usage: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/dice
    Last edited by GolemsVoice; 2017-08-03 at 07:18 AM.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

9. - Top - End - #489
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Similarly, how often do you ever hear people correctly refer to a single random-number rolling cube as a "die"?
    I hear it often because it's the standard in British English.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    I love chip cards. I was flabbergasted when I moved to the US and people were using swipe-and-sign cards. I'm so happy that chip cards are starting to be used here as well, anything else just feels weird (I grew up when chip cards were already in common use, though, so I'm sure habit has a lot to do with it).
    When chip and pin first came in, I had been using my card for a couple of years and was instinctively sceptical. Within a relatively short time, I had got to the point where if a retailer didn't have chip and pin (adoption was rapid, so this remained rare) it seemed incomprehensibly primitive. Like with many things, it rapidly reached the point where I had stopped muttering about newfangled nonsense and struggled to remember how we'd coped beforehand.

Similarly, remember paying for stuff in a shop by cheque? I think some shops still take them, but they're the exception and it wouldn't occur to me to do so. I get my chequebook out about once a year these days.

The US can be surprisingly backward and conservative about such things, though, considering that in many respects it's a technological world leader. When I left school in the UK pretty much everyone of my age that I knew had a mobile phone. When I got to my American school a few months later, almost nobody did. A lot of people were still using pagers; I don't think I'd ever actually seen one before and I was baffled by how useless they seemed.

I suspect that it's a form of cultural nationalism. Where tech-innovations are American, they're great and often catch on quickly. When they come from foreign, they're weird and not to be trusted even when they're obviously superior to anyone who's given the new one a go. We're the same here, I guess - but it's funny to watch when it's not happening to you.

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Similarly, how often do you ever hear people correctly refer to a single random-number rolling cube as a "die"? It's almost invariably referred to as "a dice" or "many dice", despite the latter technically being correct and the former not.
    I hear it reasonably frequently, but then I spend a lot of time around nerds.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

11. - Top - End - #491
    Ogre in the Playground

I do hear "die". I sometimes forget which is the singular and which is plural and ask, and people all know the answer. But again, that's when I'm surrounded by nerds.

I like that you mentioned cheques. At my previous place, the only way to pay the rent was by cheque. This was so weird, it must have meant they got the money later, especially since we mailed the cheques. It wasn't that way when we moved it, we could pay online back then, but then the managing company changed and apparently the new one didn't do technology. That was very impractical, I'm glad this is over, I'm back to rent being paid without my having to remember it.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ettin in the Playground

RangerGuy

This is a forum full of tabletop nerds, of course many of us will know the difference between 'die' and 'dice'

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goto124 View Post
    This is a forum full of tabletop nerds, of course many of us will know the difference between 'die' and 'dice'
    A surprising amount of board game and RPG nerds don't, and hearing "dice" for a singular is surprisingly irritating.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

14. - Top - End - #494

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    A surprising amount of board game and RPG nerds don't, and hearing "dice" for a singular is surprisingly irritating.
    I think I have actually said "hand me that 'd-whatever'" when asking for a die. What would it take to convince the rest of the world to refer to them as "d6"/"d6es"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I think I have actually said "hand me that 'd-whatever'" when asking for a die. What would it take to convince the rest of the world to refer to them as "d6"/"d6es"?
    I constantly refer to standard cube dice as "d-sixes", much to the confusion of my non-RPG acquaintances. But, honestly, I have little need to talk about them outside of my D&D and GURPS campaigns.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground

oh.. cheques... I got a cheques book when I opened my account some 20 years ago.
    I just bumped into it today, looking for other things. It's still new, albeit covered in 20 years of dust.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    "The proof is in the pudding.", "The exception that proves the rule.", Actually, anything where "proof" actually means "test" but isn't used as such.
    This was probably responded to at some point among the pages long ago but I've just wandered into the thread and figured I'd chime while I read through things.

"The exception that proves the rule" simply refers to a situation where because there is a noted exception it proves an unnoted rule most exist.

You arrive at a college campus you have never visited. As you get out of your car in the parking lot you see a picnic table, a cigarette butt can, and a sign that reads "Designated Smoking Area". You can now safely assume a no smoking rule is in effect for the rest of the campus because if there wasn't there would be no reason to designate a specific spot where it is allowed. This exception to the rule proves there must be a rule in place despite that you haven't encountered the rule.
    I stream RPG sessions, campaign preparation, and world-building via my Twitch Channel and upload them to my Youtube Channel.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bounty Hunter View Post
    "The exception that proves the rule" simply refers to a situation where because there is a noted exception it proves an unnoted rule most exist.
    Yeah, that's a peeve of mine too.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I constantly refer to standard cube dice as "d-sixes", much to the confusion of my non-RPG acquaintances. But, honestly, I have little need to talk about them outside of my D&D and GURPS campaigns.
    Yup. It's never just "a die" except when I'm correcting someone who asked for "a dice." It is a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, or d20. Because, if I need a d20 for an Initiative roll, a d8 isn't going to work.

That said, both "could you pass me a percentile die?" and "could you pass me a percentile dice?" really get on my nerves. I cannot pass anyone a percentile die, because we don't have any hundred-sided dice; the person is asking for a pair of d10s, one of which happens to have an extra zero on every side. Those are dice. "A percentile dice" is still wrong, because "a" does not go together with "dice." (Almost everyone in my gamer group says "a percentile dice.")

"The percentile dice" is a bit better, but still wrong because we have more than one set of percentile dice. What I would like to hear is "could you pass me a pair [or a set] of percentile dice?"

Of course, my reaction would still be "I could . . ."

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    That reminds me, what exactly are people looking for in this circumstance? A flat imperative? Are polite questions really so terrible when there's 0 confusion about what is meant?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Yup. It's never just "a die" except when I'm correcting someone who asked for "a dice." It is a d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, or d20. Because, if I need a d20 for an Initiative roll, a d8 isn't going to work.
    The phrase "a dice" is very high on my list of completely unimportant language misuses that bug me.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    That reminds me, what exactly are people looking for in this circumstance? A flat imperative? Are polite questions really so terrible when there's 0 confusion about what is meant?
    I assume, like most pedantry, a smug sense of satisfaction
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

23. - Top - End - #503
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

That said, both "could you pass me a percentile die?" and "could you pass me a percentile dice?" really get on my nerves. I cannot pass anyone a percentile die, because we don't have any hundred-sided dice; the person is asking for a pair of d10s, one of which happens to have an extra zero on every side. Those are dice. "A percentile dice" is still wrong, because "a" does not go together with "dice." (Almost everyone in my gamer group says "a percentile dice.")

"The percentile dice" is a bit better, but still wrong because we have more than one set of percentile dice. What I would like to hear is "could you pass me a pair [or a set] of percentile dice?"

I actually have encountered a d100. it had so many sides it was essentially a ball. and to get the numbers large enough to be legible on each side, it was also the size of a tennis ball.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    I actually have encountered a d100. it had so many sides it was essentially a ball. and to get the numbers large enough to be legible on each side, it was also the size of a tennis ball.
    I had one. It wasn't that much bigger than the other dice, and it was easy enough to read. This picture shows the scale (my one was not that fancy)

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #505

Okay, here's one that bugs me to see in writing: having an exclamation mark in the middle of a sentence. Usually when people do it, it's because something has an exclamation mark in its title, and the title is used in the middle of a sentence. Like, "did you see the latest episode of TV Show With An Exclamatory Title! last night?" Maybe it's not really a misuse of language, but it still irritates me to read.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

the person is asking for a pair of d10s

The very existence of "d10's" bugs me, as they are not platonic solids.

We used to have "d20's" that went 0 to 9 twice, as is right, good, true, proper, and beutiful.

Stop the madness!
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

27. - Top - End - #507

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    The very existence of "d10's" bugs me, as they are not platonic solids.

We used to have "d20's" that went 0 to 9 twice, as is right, good, true, proper, and beutiful.

Stop the madness!
    Do you know the print by Albrecht Dürer, Melancholia I? It represents a number of fastidious things (or that become fastidious when already in a fastidious mood). Among them, a non-platonic solid. So I think you aren't the only one to find them bugging
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ettin in the Playground

my d100 was rather tiny,, maybe two times the diameter of a regular d20, but ultimately useless. It's not that it wouldn't work... I just never got to use it before it broke.
    yes, it was made of two hollow halves, filled with something I can't remember.. possibly sand, or sand-like.. so when it fell harder than usual off a table, it split right down the middle, where the two parts were glued together.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    my d100 was rather tiny,, maybe two times the diameter of a regular d20, but ultimately useless. It's not that it wouldn't work... I just never got to use it before it broke.
    yes, it was made of two hollow halves, filled with something I can't remember.. possibly sand, or sand-like.. so when it fell harder than usual off a table, it split right down the middle, where the two parts were glued together.
    A couple of my friends have owned d100's over the years, and all the ones that I've seen were made this way. Perhaps it keeps them from taking forever to stop rolling, I'm not sure. I've never seen one break though, that's unusual.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if I've mentioned this one yet (I'm sure someone has), but "libary." Hate. This. So. Much.
    Last edited by Velaryon; 2017-08-29 at 05:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    A couple of my friends have owned d100's over the years, and all the ones that I've seen were made this way. Perhaps it keeps them from taking forever to stop rolling, I'm not sure. I've never seen one break though, that's unusual.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if I've mentioned this one yet (I'm sure someone has), but "libary." Hate. This. So. Much.
    The best joke in Scrubs was the two coins that add up to 30 cents riddle. The lunch guy says to go to a libary, gets corrected to library. Then, when the answer is revealed, looks at the janitor and says, "your face is all red like a strawbrerry!" Gets me every time.

Also, friend had a d100. Die in water in exterior shell. Never broke, stopped alright, about the size of a golf ball. Just couldn't tell which number was actually on too. Percentile dice are just so much easier, I never understood why someone would waste their money on a d100.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2