New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    I think it's a mistake to think in terms of one language being more or less sensible or reasonable than another.
    Which is why no-one is trying to describe the entire language in those terms, but specific ways in which they deal with a concept. I think it is perfectly possible to point to a feature of a language and say "this is a better way to describe reality than what language X uses for the same purpose". Will it be subjective to a certain degree? Certainly. But it can still be useful.

The most obvious example of this is, of course, languages that require every person to fit into "male" or "female" categories. Languages that do not have this requirement (e.g. by allowing for a third state) will have an easier time talking about non-binary gender individuals.

Now, this is not an absolute. I can point to a language characteristic that is more sensible than another, while still being awkward. Spanish has three sets of distances ("hands reach" vs "Close" vs "Far"), to English's two (e.g. "here/there" vs "aquí/ahí/allí") which in many cases removes a bit of ambiguity present in the same sentence in English, but it hardly solves the problem of pinpointing object location.

Equally, I always admired French for having a way to answer negative questions: "Is that not your car?" - "oui" ("yes, it is not my car") vs "si" ("yes, it is my car"). So many misunderstandings are killed immediately by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Not to mention that it's wildly subjective and what seems sensible will always be largely dependent on one's first language.
    I take exception at that. I am quite keenly aware of the limitations of my mother language, I'll have you know.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #632
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I take exception at that. I am quite keenly aware of the limitations of my mother language, I'll have you know.
    Meanwhile, I can't even speak my mother's language.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #633
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

When people say that they could care less. That means you do care!

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FlammySenpai View Post
    When people say that they could care less. That means you do care!
    Obligatory:

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I became a lot more comfortable woth that particular idiom shift after I started mentally inserting "but it would require effort" when I come across it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

6. - Top - End - #636
    Firbolg in the Playground

The most obvious example of this is, of course, languages that require every person to fit into "male" or "female" categories. Languages that do not have this requirement (e.g. by allowing for a third state) will have an easier time talking about non-binary gender individuals.
    It would be far better still for the language to be purged of gender entirely and simply use the equivalent of "it" for everyone and everything
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    It would be far better still for the language to be purged of gender entirely and simply use the equivalent of "it" for everyone and everything
    No, it wouldn't.
    Aren't arguments from personal conviction fun?
    GW

8. - Top - End - #638

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Al and Betty were walking down the street. It fell down a manhole and died, while the other laughed.

Who's dead and who's the ass?

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

No, it wouldn't.
    GW
    No she wouldn't... ok, that doesn't work.

Though there are some languages with no neuter pronoun. "He is hilly"; "She is raining"; "He is very big"... ok, that last one could still work.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Al and Betty were walking down the street. It fell down a manhole and died, while the other laughed.

Who's dead and who's the ass?
    This is a bit of a niche case - the exact same problem exists with gendered pronouns if the names are instead Allison and Betty or Al and Billy.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    This is a bit of a niche case - the exact same problem exists with gendered pronouns if the names are instead Allison and Betty or Al and Billy.
    Clearly, rather than having gendered pronouns, you could have ordered pronouns, so they refer to the first, second, third thing being described (and so on from third if you want - it might need to go up to six before you decide that your sentence is already unreasonable). So, suppose we make up the pronouns fe, se and te (ignoring that "Se" is already sorta a word and that making up pronouns makes some people irrationally angry), we could have:

"Al and Betty were walking down the road, but there was a hole in the road. Fe fell down te, and se laughed."

Which is unambiguous - Al's fallen down the hole, and Betty's laughing. I don't think there are any actual languages which do that, though.

12. - Top - End - #642

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Clearly, rather than having gendered pronouns, you could have ordered pronouns, so they refer to the first, second, third thing being described (and so on from third if you want - it might need to go up to six before you decide that your sentence is already unreasonable). So, suppose we make up the pronouns fe, se and te (ignoring that "Se" is already sorta a word and that making up pronouns makes some people irrationally angry), we could have:

"Al and Betty were walking down the road, but there was a hole in the road. Fe fell down te, and se laughed."

Which is unambiguous - Al's fallen down the hole, and Betty's laughing. I don't think there are any actual languages which do that, though.
    That seems pretty straightforward and logical. I like it.

13. - Top - End - #643

Don't you already have the former, the latter?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #644
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Don't you already have the former, the latter?
    Yes, but:

- There's only two of them. If Billy, Bill, Jane and Janet are walking down the road, then fe/se/te/fo/fi/si/etcetera would allow you to discuss whether fe (Billy), se (Bill), te (Jane) or fo (Janet) fell down fi (the hole).
    - They're long. Pronouns tend to be single syllables. Using three syllables where one would do kinda defeats the point.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

About former/latter:
    Yes, but:
    - They're long. Pronouns tend to be single syllables. Using three syllables where one would do kinda defeats the point.
    Still, Japanese has personal pronouns like Watakushi, Anata, Kanojo. There are also shorter pronouns, but, if I remember correctly, only the Emperor gets to use a one-syllable personal pronoun.

16. - Top - End - #646

Yes, but:

- There's only two of them. If Billy, Bill, Jane and Janet are walking down the road, then fe/se/te/fo/fi/si/etcetera would allow you to discuss whether fe (Billy), se (Bill), te (Jane) or fo (Janet) fell down fi (the hole).
    How do you understand that people fell down the hole and not down the road, though?
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #647
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    About former/latter:

Still, Japanese has personal pronouns like Watakushi, Anata, Kanojo. There are also shorter pronouns, but, if I remember correctly, only the Emperor gets to use a one-syllable personal pronoun.
    Yes, but "This is a feature of a language that exists" isn't really on speaking terms with "This is a good feature for a language to have".

How do you understand that people fell down the hole and not down the road, though?
    Well, if I say, "Jane, Janet, Bill and Billy were walking down the road when they came across a hole, and te fell down si. Se kept walking down fi, while fe tried to help te, and fo laughed", then it's Bill falling down the hole, Janet keeping walking down the road, Jane trying to help Bill, and Billy laughing. Although this does require that you have to remember what's in the sentence, which can get exceptionally obnoxious if there are more people and objects than that.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2017-10-29 at 05:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #648

This would be a significcantly better and more sensible system then the one we have now.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

19. - Top - End - #649

It sounds difficult in that you have to rebuild the system each time you talk with someone.

For example, A started with

"Jack and Jon and Jill stole a tape from the museum yesterday."

B: "Fi has always been an idiot, but I wasn't expecting Se and Thi to follow".

A: "Yea, Thi is actually a smart girl. Thi's sister too."

Now, which pronoun should be used for Jill's sister, if B wants to inquire about her? Should the pronoun count follow from the first sentence (so the tape is Fo, the museum is Fif, the sister is Si), or should it restart when you add a new pronoun (so the sister is Fo)? And what pronoun would be used for the tape in this second case?

"When do they plan to return it?" is quite clear in this case, from context. With numerals, I don't know how it would work.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Banned

It sounds difficult in that you have to rebuild the system each time you talk with someone.

For example, A started with

"Jack and Jon and Jill stole a tape from the museum yesterday."

B: "Fi has always been an idiot, but I wasn't expecting Se and Thi to follow".

A: "Yea, Thi is actually a smart girl. Thi's sister too."

Now, which pronoun should be used for Jill's sister, if B wants to inquire about her? Should the pronoun count follow from the first sentence (so the tape is Fo, the museum is Fif, the sister is Si), or should it restart when you add a new pronoun (so the sister is Fo)? And what pronoun would be used for the tape in this second case?

"When do they plan to return it?" is quite clear in this case, from context. With numerals, I don't know how it would work.
    Oh, it's absolutely not a perfect system and I realised already that the time scope would have to be better defined, or obvious from context (I suppose I would probably use Si in this case, so that it would be unambiguous). You could have it that the pronoun never changes for the whole conversation, too.

(Also, you could have separate lists for people and objects, because I keep on forgetting that the road, hole, tape and museum need to be counted alongside the people and also to make it slightly easier to differentiate what or whom is being talked about anyway).

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

This remind me of ASL pronouns (possibly the same in other sign languages). Basically you assign a location to a person when you first mention them, and then you just point to that location to mean he/she/it/they. Maybe there could be a written system where when you first mention something, you assign its referent in parentheses or something, and then use that as its pronoun.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think there are any actual languages which do that, though.
    I understand that the constructed languages Lojban and Ithkuil have eliminated ambiguity. Unfortunately, that is all I know about them, so I cannot say how they solve the prepositional pronoun ambiguity - for all I know, they simply do not have prepositions pronouns at all and simply rely on repeating unambiguous names every time they come up.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-10-30 at 12:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #653

For clarity: do you mean pronouns?

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    This remind me of ASL pronouns (possibly the same in other sign languages). Basically you assign a location to a person when you first mention them, and then you just point to that location to mean he/she/it/they. Maybe there could be a written system where when you first mention something, you assign its referent in parentheses or something, and then use that as its pronoun.
    That's interesting about sign languages.
    About parentheses, the Egyptians put personal names inside a special contour line. I guess that, in theory, you could use them as makeshift written abbreviation, like e.g.

[[Claudius]] was made Roman Emperor after the death of ((Caligula)). [ was an unusual choice in many ways, because of [s relatively old age, [s mild temperament, and the fact that [ was actually hiding when [ was chosen by the ==senate==, since [ feared to be killed like his relative (. It probably is no coincidence that the only preserved official document in which = attributed and determined the power of the emperor was stipulated between [ and =.

24. - Top - End - #654

sounds good to me

Omegaupdate Forum

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

For clarity: do you mean pronouns?
    I do. I have corrected it above.

GW

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

The ambiguity is neither caused by, nor fixed by, gender pronouns.

"Chris and Pat were walking down the street. He fell down a manhole, while she laughed."

Gender pronouns will exist as long as people want to identify the gender of the people they are talking about.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I understand that the constructed languages Lojban and Ithkuil have eliminated ambiguity.
    I was curious, so I did some digging. Apparently, Lojban has a very similar system to the one Jormengand mentioned--there are five "place words" which tell you in which place the following word goes. (I may be misunderstanding how that works, though, since I don't speak Lojban!).

Ithkuil handles it differently--instead of using position in a sentence to show which word is the subject, as in English, it has "cases" which show that information instead. Apparently there are 72 main cases and 24 comparison cases (!), so you use a different case to show someone is experiencing an event passively as opposed to acting out the event, for example.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I was curious, so I did some digging. Apparently, Lojban has a very similar system to the one Jormengand mentioned

I was joking when I made that up!

29. - Top - End - #659

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Or Jamie and Terry

"Jamie and Terry were walking down the street. He fell down a manhole and died, while she laughed"

Omegaupdate Forum

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly? I'm bugged by hearing about all these people falling down manholes.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."