New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Huh. Barely anyone I know says hard-g-gif. Maybe it's a regional thing? Similarly, I stand by my "nay." I think you're right on "sa," I was just transcribing it wrong.
    You say "Ayr" instead of "Err"? Weird.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    This has been the convention for centuries, due to the whole "you're not allowed to actually say His name" thing. So pronouns get capitalised instead.

And that's all I'll say on the matter.
    Related note in the name of the Church of the SubGenius demigod J.R."BOB"Dobbs, "BOB" is always written in all caps,
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Speaking of hard vs soft letter g, how do you all pronounce "giga-". I've gotten the impression that most prople pronounce it with a hard g, as do I, but it's my understanding that historically it was usually a soft g, as attested in Back to the Future in the scene where Doc Brown explains how the time machine works
    Hard G. Unless we're talking about watts, out of respect for Doc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    You say "Ayr" instead of "Err"? Weird.
    Well, I've been sitting here saying it to myself a few times, and "air" does not rhyme with "err" as in "error." So yes.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. Barely anyone I know says hard-g-gif. Maybe it's a regional thing?..

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Could very well be. I know most people around here use hard-g-gif.

I've never heard anyone say "GIF" out loud ever, so it may be profound "Rumpelstiltskin" for all I know.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I've been sitting here saying it to myself a few times, and "air" does not rhyme with "err" as in "error." So yes.
    Oh. Well, around here, "error" is pronounced "air-or". So... yes, in some places, 'err' is pronounced the same as 'air'.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    I've never heard anyone say "GIF" out loud ever, so it may be profound "Rumpelstiltskin" for all I know.
    To be fair, I'm in Computer Science. So, it comes up a lot more frequently than it might otherwise in everyday conversations.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2017-06-10 at 09:59 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Related note in the name of the Church of the SubGenius demigod J.R."BOB"Dobbs, "BOB" is always written in all caps,
    All the deities in MARDEK are in all-caps too, as well as the name of the game to distinguish it from the eponymous hero (who is definitely not a deity).

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Hard G. Unless we're talking about watts, out of respect for Doc.

In the dialect/accent I speak, "air" and "err" (as in error) are exactly the same, pronounced as I imagine you pronounce the latter.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    The one that my dad complains about all the time (and thus what got me thinking about this) is "tsunami" for "tidal wave." A cursory bit of research indicates that they are in fact not quite the same thing, but hopefully you can at least see where I was going with the thought.
    You seem to be complaining that people use the word "tsunami" when the English phrase "tidal wave" exists, but as you also point out, those are names for two different things? A tsunami is a large wave caused by a displacement of water, e.g. by a landslide or an earthquake, whereas a tidal wave is a storm surge or tidal bore. Calling an earthquake-derived wave a "tidal wave" is just plain wrong, regardless of it being commonly done.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of hard vs soft letter g, how do you all pronounce "giga-". I've gotten the impression that most prople pronounce it with a hard g, as do I, but it's my understanding that historically it was usually a soft g, as attested in Back to the Future in the scene where Doc Brown explains how the time machine works
    It's lifted directly from Greek, iirc, so a hard "g".
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

The obvious conclusion is that both pronunciations are in common use.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

An is to be used before the sound of nouns. An herb (if you are somewhere that doesn't pronounce the h) is fine. 'An history' is just jarring for me to hear or read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    The one that my dad complains about all the time (and thus what got me thinking about this) is "tsunami" for "tidal wave." A cursory bit of research indicates that they are in fact not quite the same thing, but hopefully you can at least see where I was going with the thought.
    Tsunami has been standard for "a massive wave caused by an earthquake under the ocean" for a while now, but, as discussed in xkcd, that doesn't mean that "Tidal Wave" is not descriptive. Dictionary.com is uncharacteristically unhelpful on the etymology. Normally they at least give better references, but here they only use it in the allegorical sense (which comes from its colloquial usage for waves caused by large displacements of water, by-the-by).

Pretty much unless you are talking to a physicist about the 2 tidal bulges, you can assume that people use "tidal wave" and "tsunami" interchangeably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

People that enunciate poorly! I have just spent half an hour talking with someone that pronounced literary at 'littry' and I thought I was going to go into shock... I had to immediately retreat here to vent about it.
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!

14. - Top - End - #104

Going back to the "more unique" issue and the misues of "literally", I'd like to point out that there's also degrees of literalness as well; something could be closer to the situation described by an idiom than is usually the case when that idiom is used without matching it precisely. It could then be said to be "literally" that idiom due to being relatively literal compared to how it is normally used.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

15. - Top - End - #105

I don't have spelling misuses that bothers me but I freelance as a transcriptionist, and goddamnit people, breathe and split your sentences to two breath rather than forcing yourself to say everything in one go and having the last part of your sentence disappear into nothingness.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

16. - Top - End - #106

BWR beat me to it. Lie/lay. Also good/well, who/whom, and when people try to sound old fashioned without knowing how to, thy/thine/thou/thee/ye.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    when people try to sound old fashioned without knowing how to, thy/thine/thou/thee/ye.
    Ah, that drives me crazy. Which isn't to say that I mind people doing it properly, albeit it can get a bit wearing, but people doing it badly is like a cheesegrater to the ears/eyes.

Shouldst thou wish to speak in ye* olde-timey English, thou hadst best be sure of thy footing, and, shouldst thou not be, lend thine eyes to such texts as might assist thee in so doing, lest thine interlocutors think thee a fool.

*Here, as in all such cases where "ye" is an article, the "y" is a stylised "th"; it is pronounced the same as "the".
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    when people try to sound old fashioned without knowing how to, thy/thine/thou/thee/ye.
    This one really gets my knickers in a twist.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

The use of "who" as a direct object pronoun.

"Who is this package addressed to?" (fine)
    "To who is this package addressed?" (argh!)
    "To whom is this package addressed?" (fine)

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Prescriptivism
    Conversely, something I'm seeing quite a lot recently: a sort of "hyper descriptivism" that effectlively becomes prescriptivism, where people insist that the most recent use of a word is the only valid one.

(Especially irritating when its so new that it hasn't even made it into the dictionary, and they're basicly expecting and insisting that everyone starts using the jargon slang of their particular bubble).

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    This one really gets my knickers in a twist.
    Forsooth, thy knave! Thee should untwist thine knickers and reachest understanding with thou's own language, for thy do not get to tell other people how they shouldst speaketh.

I have just slapped myself, ftr. Because someone needed to.

Conversely, something I'm seeing quite a lot recently: a sort of "hyper descriptivism" that effectlively becomes prescriptivism, where people insist that the most recent use of a word is the only valid one.

(Especially irritating when its so new that it hasn't even made it into the dictionary, and they're basicly expecting and insisting that everyone starts using the jargon slang of their particular bubble).
    Indeed.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

This is an education deficiency. The only honest way to come to that conclusion is never to have been exposed to the word in another context. I would say more, but it'd get political.

I think dictionaries need to be seen as both descriptive and prescriptive. They are (supposedly) descriptive in their method of composition, but, partly because of that, they are also the most authoritative sources available on the topic of language usage - certainly more so than any individual speaker - and that means they should be seen as prescriptive by anyone who's concerned with making themselves as widely understood as possible.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    This is an education deficiency. The only honest way to come to that conclusion is never to have been exposed to the word in another context. I would say more, but it'd get political...

For my happiness I know I should be grateful for what I have, unfortunately I personally feel an "education deficiency", and I'm angry about it, and I'm also envious of those who have been privileged with more education.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Barbarian in the Playground

Frankenstein is the name of the scientist, not the monster! Get your facts straight!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Frankenstein is the name of the scientist, not the monster! Get your facts straight!
    You mean the doctor's creation. Dude had full human faculties, and you just insult him like he isn't even a person. You monster.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #116

Does the constant misuse to the word "race" in fantasy RPGs bother anyone else?

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    As always, there's a relevant xkcd strip.

https://xkcd.com/1589/
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

With the word used for "the French race", as well as "the Human race", etc., it's more that the word "race" itself is so nebulous, archaic, and with such frightening historic baggage, that its use in FRP's is one of the few placed where the word doesn't bother me.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh, the irony," I'd say, if these were posted by the same person. But they aren't, of course, so that would be a misuse of the word irony.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    With the word used for "the French race", as well as "the Human race", etc., it's more that the word "race" itself is so nebulous, archaic, and with such frightening historic baggage, that its use in FRP's is one of the few placed where the word doesn't bother me.
    Exactly.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    As always, there's a relevant xkcd strip.

https://xkcd.com/1589/
    SMBC has one as well