New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you

Quote Originally Posted by BWR View Post
    Plus a mouse over. Plus a votey. Plus full color. Plus updates every day for something over ten years now. Plus occasional bonus comics for special occasions.

I like SMBC, is what I'm saying here.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-06-14 at 12:36 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ah, now I have one!

How part of English-speaking historiography seems to call everything an Empire.

Like, British Empire? Sure, that's OK. They called it that. They actually called England that even before England had a colonial empire. Spanish Empire? Spain didn't actually have an emperor after the XIV century, but it's normal to talk about colonial empires, so why not? Not really accurate, but acceptable.

Angevin Empire? ...nope. Those were simply Angevin land holdings. No emperor anywhere, and no special relationship compared to normal Medieval standards.

There's a lot of these: Swedish Empire, Norwegian Empire, North Sea Empire: these could simply say "Kingdom(s)" or "Holds" or "Possessions". Then there are the Athenian Empires (actual name: I and II Delian Leagues).

These really are completely unimportant misuses, given that "Empire" must have between 3 and 300 different meanings, so they may not be misuses at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    "More unique" or "Most unique." There are no degrees of uniqueness. Either it is, or it isn't. The word you're looking for is "rare" or "unusual."

Simplified corrections also bug me. They'll often forget important exceptions. "Affect - an action, Effect = a result," is on a coffee mug. Seeing things like that will always effect a change in my affect.
    For some reason, "more unique" and "most unique" don't bother me, but "very unique" does. No idea why.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

this may have been said already.. I haven't read the full thread:
    people who say they are 1000% committed, or 120% sure..
    that's not how percentages work.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Plus a votey.
    What's a votey?

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-06-14 at 09:15 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    What's a votey?

GW
    It's the little comic which appears when you press the red button (such as on the SMBC page linked). Why they're called that I don't know.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    It's the little comic which appears when you press the red button (such as on the SMBC page linked). Why they're called that I don't know.
    There is an extra punchline joke if I press the red thing? Oh for ****s sake. *eye twitch*

GW
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

8. - Top - End - #128

There is an extra punchline joke if I press the red thing? Oh for ****s sake. *eye twitch*

GW
    It's purely optional. Don't like it, don't press it. Frankly, I like three jokes per comic. Wienersmith is usually on the ball.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

It's purely optional. Don't like it, don't press it. Frankly, I like three jokes per comic. Wienersmith is usually on the ball.
    Oh, I like it. The problem is that now I'm having to contemplate doing a re-read of 10 years worth of comics just to press the little button. Just like I had to do when I realised xkcd had overtext jokes.

GW

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I like it. The problem is that now I'm having to contemplate doing a re-read of 10 years worth of comics just to press the little button. Just like I had to do when I realised xkcd had overtext jokes.

GW

What's overtext?

(When I "Google" it, I just get pages of "How to flirt over text")
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    What's overtext?

(When I "Google" it, I just get pages of "How to flirt over text")
    I guess it's "mouse over text". The little text box that appears when you leave the mouse pointer resting on the picture for a short time.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I guess it's "mouse over text". The little text box that appears when you leave the mouse pointer resting on the picture for a short time.

Thanks!

EDIT:

....Uh oh, doesn't work using a phone.
    Last edited by 2D8HP; 2017-06-14 at 11:09 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dehro View Post
    this may have been said already.. I haven't read the full thread:
    people who say they are 1000% committed, or 120% sure..
    that's not how percentages work.
    are you sure? I got 101% in my physics class.
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Amazing avatar by Linklele

Extended Sig

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary, you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    It's all fun and games until you encounter the roc weremegalodon

14. - Top - End - #134

GW
    Oh, then this'll make you just explode with joy - he didn't do the voteys when he started the comic, so there was a good stretch of time without them. But a couple years ago or so he went back and gave a votey to every comic that didn't have one. So you have literally the entire collection to go through.

He has not, to the best of my knowledge, done any mouse-over text to the old strips, so there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Thanks!

EDIT:

....Uh oh, doesn't work using a phone.
    On a phone, just tap the comic itself, it'll give you the mouseover (which is a feature wish XKCD would implement as well). If it's an older comic without mouseover text, tapping the comic will just go to the next comic.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-06-14 at 01:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

He has not, to the best of my knowledge, done any mouse-over text to the old strips, so there's that.
    Hoo boy, do I have some bad news for you! I just checked the oldest strips and those now have mouse-over text as well. Enjoy your re-reads, everyone!

I remember when the votey actually had a purpose: SMBC (and OOTS for that matter) used to be on webcomic ranking sites, so clicking the button used to redirect you to the voting site as well as revealing the bonus comic. Hence the name. It's hilarious that Zach has not only kept making them as this bizarre little appendix to the comic, but has actually added them retroactively to the older strips as well.
    Allergy advice: posts may contain traces of sarcasm

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon_Drake View Post
    Hoo boy, do I have some bad news for you! I just checked the oldest strips and those now have mouse-over text as well. Enjoy your re-reads, everyone!

I remember when the votey actually had a purpose: SMBC (and OOTS for that matter) used to be on webcomic ranking sites, so clicking the button used to redirect you to the voting site as well as revealing the bonus comic. Hence the name. It's hilarious that Zach has not only kept making them as this bizarre little appendix to the comic, but has actually added them retroactively to the older strips as well.
    SMBC is easily my favorite webcomic, for so many reasons. Weinersmith's commitment to it is certainly no small part of that.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    You seem to be complaining that people use the word "tsunami" when the English phrase "tidal wave" exists, but as you also point out, those are names for two different things? A tsunami is a large wave caused by a displacement of water, e.g. by a landslide or an earthquake, whereas a tidal wave is a storm surge or tidal bore. Calling an earthquake-derived wave a "tidal wave" is just plain wrong, regardless of it being commonly done.
    I believe I noted in the very post that you quote that I learned they are (slightly) different things, and that therefore it was not the best possible example of the phenomenon to which I was referring, merely the one that first came to mind.

If you would prefer a better example, how about when people use the phrase "a certain je ne sais quoi" to describe a positive quality that they don't have the right words for? It literally just means "I don't know what," but in French, so why not just say that?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    If you would prefer a better example, how about when people use the phrase "a certain je ne sais quoi" to describe a positive quality that they don't have the right words for? It literally just means "I don't know what," but in French, so why not just say that?
    Because it sounds better in French? Or are you saying that Englih should limit itself to, what, anglo-saxon words only? To take a random word you used: example is pretty much pure Latin (exempli), and I'm sure the concept can be expressed in anglo-saxon terms if you really dig into the language, but why bother? English's strength is in its plasticity and ability - nay willingness - to steal from other languages. Embrace it.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-06-14 at 02:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Because it sounds better in French?
    No it doesn't. At best it's subjective preference, at worst it sounds pretentious.

Or are you saying that Englih should limit itself to, what, anglo-saxon words only? To take a random word you used: example is pretty much pure Latin (exempli), and I'm sure the concept can be expressed in anglo-saxon terms if you really dig into the language, but why bother? English's strength is in its plasticity and ability - nay willingness - to steal from other languages. Embrace it.

GW
    I am saying that if your native language is English, you are conversing in English, and there is a word or short phrase that conveys your meaning equally or better than a word from another language, it is better to use the English word.

It's also worth pointing out that the topic is "Completely unimportant language misuses that bug you," not "Totally ironclad rules of language that everyone must live by." It bugs me, it probably doesn't bug you, that's okay.

20. - Top - End - #140

No it doesn't. At best it's subjective preference, at worst it sounds pretentious.

I am saying that if your native language is English, you are conversing in English, and there is a word or short phrase that conveys your meaning equally or better than a word from another language, it is better to use the English word.
    What if the word from another language is also an English word? Like rendezvous, from the French rendezvous, meaning "rendezvous."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

What if the word from another language is also an English word? Like rendezvous, from the French rendezvous, meaning "rendezvous."
    I have no issues with anglicised foreign words like rendezvous or de ja vu. But please, please don't affect a french accent whilst you say it. I've heard this happen more times than I'd care to count...
    Last edited by Fin; 2017-06-15 at 02:07 AM.
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree with that.

Along with excessive wordiness (verbosity, if you must) of modern languages, especially English...

History of languages is the history of borrowings, and all, but I still can't wrap my head around longer, less graceful words displacing better ones. Mostly because they sound 'new' and 'hot'.

Polish language did have quite a lot of terms to say 'offended', 'bugged' and whatever, but now everyone uses 'bulwersować' which, is long, awkward, and of course mostly mean 'turn/roll the ball' in French. XD
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Fin View Post
    I have no issues with anglicised foreign words like rendezvous or de ja vu. But please, please don't affect a french accent whilst you say it. I've heard this happen more times than I'd care to count...
    I'll add one for non-English speakers: do not pronounce Latin like English
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

....On a phone, just tap the comic itself, it'll give you the mouseover (which is a feature wish XKCD would implement as well). If it's an older comic without mouseover text, tapping the comic will just go to the next comic.

Sadly that doesn't work on my phone, but happily I've enjoyed re-reading (and reading many I don't remember) strips.

25. - Top - End - #145

A) At what point is a foreign word or phrase anglicized?

2.) Better a French accent than a hick one, trust me on that.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

A) At what point is a foreign word or phrase anglicized?
    I mean words that are used in common parlance in English but are in actuality completely untranslated French, 'rendezvous' is the best one I can think of really. Also, by accent I don't mean dropping the letters that are silent, I mean literally gaining a voice like Pepe Le Pew for just that word

2.) Better a French accent than a hick one, trust me on that.
    This may be true but due to my location being in England I am not exposed to it too much outside of American TV shows. That being said I am from Liverpool so my accent is pretty strong and not what you would describe as cultured so who am I to judge!
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it's not Pepe le Pew, but I can't help but use a french r when pronouncing rendezvous. I was never able to get my French 'e's right, but years of practice means I have to actively try to NOT pronounce the 'r'.

And yes, this is the exact example of my issue with "how dare you use x when y, a 'proper' word will do" - that I strongly doubt it is in any way applied uniformly. "Je ne sais quois" may bother Velaryon, but does that extend to rendezvous, entrepreneur, veal, dossier, ambulance, bayonet, camouflage, etc.? It smacks of double standards, based more on familiarity to the words than their actual stated reasoning.

Ironically, of course, the most famous for this approach to "the purity of language" is the French Academy, who keeps trying (with no success) to get the French people to use French words for everything, and keep decrying "the young" for using English words instead.

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #148

Ironically, of course, the most famous for this approach to "the purity of language" is the French Academy, who keeps trying (with no success) to get the French people to use French words for everything, and keep decrying "the young" for using English words instead.
    Fun fact: The leader of the Vichy regime was also a member of the French Academy, therefore making him a literal Grammar Nazi
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-06-15 at 09:14 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

29. - Top - End - #149

I mean words that are used in common parlance in English but are in actuality completely untranslated French, 'rendezvous' is the best one I can think of really. Also, by accent I don't mean dropping the letters that are silent, I mean literally gaining a voice like Pepe Le Pew for just that word
    I meant that as well. At some point untranslated words or phrases become English.

Also, I'll be deep in the cold, cold gound before I stop doing the stereotypical French laugh after saying a French word like a Frenchy. The laugh always makes it better.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Banned

I for one will always pronounce French words in a French accent. Further, "Wipers" and "Ore-Leens" physically hurt me. Fortunately, we seem to have decided that pronouncing German words like German words are pronounced is okay, so I don't have to deal with the Third Rayitch and the Nazzy party.