New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

furious "Preparing to Recycle" Asian Building Mesh files for EU4 WILL NOT DELETE!

I have been trying to delete these 4 building mesh files from EU4 for MONTHS. I have tried it in safe mode, I have tried it with File Shredder, NOTHING WORKS. These 4 files are the only thing standing in the way of my reinstalling the game fresh. As it is, they have rendered the game unplayable and I am about ready to blow my top because I have spent nearly $60 on the core game and its DLC, ALL FOR NOTHING. I have tried getting help. I send an email in, after waiting a day for them to finally respond, they tell me to delete all EU4 files. But I can't.

When I try, I get: "Preparing to Recyle". For hours. And nothing happens. worse, if I try to interrupt the process, my computer freezes and the only way to get it to resume is to unplug and start over. I am way past pissed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: "Preparing to Recycle" Asian Building Mesh files for EU4 WILL NOT DELETE!

(I'm assuming you've checked access rights, the files aren't set to 'read-only', etc.? If not then do that first. This page has a long list of things you can try to delete a troublesome file, some of them are easier than others.)

One possible reason is that the files are permanently flagged as "in use". The fact that you can't delete them even in safe mode suggests that this is a bug, rather than some obscure bit of software that actually is using them. (Although virus checkers can do this sort of thing, which is one reason why I hate them. They assume it's their business to check every file - which is fair enough, but there's no earthly excuse for locking them even temporarily.)

There's a utility you can try called "Unlocker". Here.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: "Preparing to Recycle" Asian Building Mesh files for EU4 WILL NOT DELETE!

Have you tried just running rm -f on them?

If you are on Windows, maybe Disk Cleanup or defrag will catch them.

4. - Top - End - #4

HalflingPirate

I can't right click the files. I try and my computer freezes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    Okay. Can you defragment or repair the drive?

6. - Top - End - #6

HalflingPirate

Every time I've tried to defragment, all I get is that my computer is already as defragged as it can get. I guess it does it automatically?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Every time I've tried to defragment, all I get is that my computer is already as defragged as it can get. I guess it does it automatically?
    Maybe. In which case you might want to repair the drive; if that doesn't work, you could always install Ubuntu to a flash key, boot from that, and delete the files that way. It will take care of any weirdness on Windows' part, anyway; at the very least it will let you run a more informative diagnostic.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

That suggests the file records are corrupted. Have you run 'chkdsk' recently?

Also, have you tried DOS commands, like 'del' or 'rmdir /s'? The command line gives you ways to interact with the files without Windows trying obsessively to read them or their metadata.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

That seems like that particular spot in the hard drive where the file was written is corrupted. Can you do disk repair using chkdsk? Not defrag, disk repair. Windows need to check your hard drive, and mark it as unusable.

If windows' default chkdsk doesn't work, then maybe you can use third party disk checking/recovery program, though I have no particular recommendation.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

10. - Top - End - #10

Flumph

Delete them from command prompt?
    Also run chkdsk /f.

11. - Top - End - #11

I think Spybot Search And Destroy has some kind of advanced file deleter in it's toolkit
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

12. - Top - End - #12

You might try renaming the directory that contains the files. You might never be able to delete them but if they no longer exist at their former location a reinstall should be possible.

13. - Top - End - #13

Flumph

If nothing else has fixed it, maybe boot from a Linux image on USB.

(I still suspect deleting with control panel would have some success).