New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Let's Build a setting, No let's build an UNIVERSE! One planet at the time.

So, on the vibes of the Let’s Build a Setting! Threads but this time instead of building an entire world we are going to build planets in a solar system or even in the same universe.

So what you guys think?

Each poster creates an entire planet, with its own culture, alien races and internal politics and as the universe matures we write about how the planets and races interact with each other.
    Last edited by S@tanicoaldo; 2017-06-09 at 08:01 PM.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

2. - Top - End - #2

Zombie

Default Re: Let's Build a setting, No let's build a UNIVERSE! One planet at the time.

Just doing one part of one world is already pushing the limits in the existing threads. Unless you want to do "planets of hats" (ice planet, cowboy planet, jungle planet, etc.), that's too much for one thread.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: Let's Build a setting, No let's build a UNIVERSE! One planet at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Just doing one part of one world is already pushing the limits in the existing threads. Unless you want to do "planets of hats" (ice planet, cowboy planet, jungle planet, etc.), that's too much for one thread.
    Yeah I guess that was a silly idea.
    I'm not a native english speaker and I'm dyslexic(that doesn't mean I have low IQ quite the opposite actually it means I make a lot of typos).

So I beg for forgiveness, patience and comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's like somewhere along the way, "freedom of speech" became "all negative response is censorship".
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Let's Build a setting, No let's build an UNIVERSE! One planet at the time.

Hold up. An ENTIRE UNIVERSE is basically impossible. A galaxy is stretching it enough. Even a cluster of solar systems is pushing it (Vorkosigan novels, anyone?).

However, a single solar system could be possible. Firefly was set in a single setting, with dozens of different themes running through it without intruding on the sci-fi (Psychic academy? Check. A fantasy-esque duel for the hand of a woman? Check. Large, hive-world esque cities? Check. The wild west? Check).
    "My new favorite spell is Ice Knife, because it is a throwing knife made from ice, and a grenade."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Bifrexia.

An ice planet where the people wear cowboy hats.

The chief export is diamonds. Their cowboy hats are made of real cowboys.

They are always eager traders, especially to import cowboy-slaves to work in their diamond mines.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Build a setting, No let's build an UNIVERSE! One planet at the time.

Exoplanet 463455: This planet have no life on it and gravity is too high for any life to develop(or anything to land without being crushed) but still it got called Exoplanet 463455 and some people like to go on trips orbiting this planet for one or two orbits because some commercials decided to organise travels around that planet.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Golgia 5. This planet has about 5x the surface area of Earth, with dense jungle-like growth being the predominant biome on the numerous continents. Several arid patches cut through the jungles, typically exposing warm hilly plains. Although the planet does not have enough surface ice to stabilize global temperatures, an abundant class of tiny organisms that dwell in the shallow seas release a reflective particulate when water evaporates quickly, gradually cooling the area back down to ideal temperatures for the microbes. There is minimal vulcanism, but major fault lines riddle the planet, resulting in frequent magnitude 3-5 earthquakes along all but a few of the coasts, and many of the more mountainous areas.

You can belt out something a little more interesting than a hats planet pretty quickly with this "it's mostly x but there's also some y, and it's got a lot of z," format, then weird it up by posing a problem and solving it with "but w keeps that from spiraling out of control."

I've been wanting to do an alternate history sort of biosphere project for awhile (basically using the premise that the genus that inherits the Earth after mass extinctions seems to be basically random,) but I've got a lot of sensibilities for biological forms that have proven difficult to convey to forum folk. I feel like basically every planet with life deserves some "after the first extinction clams evolved into a bunch of weird things with a nautilus shaped family becoming the most diverse group, then those were wiped out and snails became the popular kid at school until these slug parasites started to dominate, but there was a big extinction and those went from dinosaur style dominance to specialized bird type species in the next era. A bug-like sort of fish took over after that, and then...

Except that that feels cheap for referencing Earth-life.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I propose that we make the universe highly cartoonish since most other settings are highly realistic

Hellotron 5-
    Ruled by the robot demon king, arnold
    Predominant race- Confused tourists who thought this was the OTHER hell planet
    geology- a wasty wasteland of wasty things also an alarming amount of fire
    fauna- hyper murderbeasts
    flora- strangler vines
    Primary imports- the souls of the dammed
    primary exports- cheap plastic that turn out to be in water bottles and kids toys and is highly poisonous(made from dammed souls)
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    Interesting that it wasn't written in Draconic. Are Kobolds keeping their deviant pleasures secret from their dragon masters now? It's the beginning of the revolution and it's starting in the bedroom nest!

This forum has century gothic as a font. That's pretty cool

9. - Top - End - #9

seconded ridiculous meters up to 12

Ascension IV : What happens when you give a narcissist a planet? If your answer to that question wasn't build a clone army and plot to control the galaxy, i'm not sure what your'e thinking.
    • Predominant race- 8.5 billion Greg clones
    • Geography- Just your average planet with oceans, deserts, rolling planes, and gigantic cloning factories from a long forgotten race of cursed demi-gods.... so nothing special
    • Primary import- Complex machinery, people not named Greg, and gems.
    • Primary exports- The most precious resource in the universe....Gregs
    • notable fauna- feral Gregs
    Last edited by Lleban; 2017-06-14 at 01:03 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGirl

Some time ago I participated of a space game that didn't really work out, I will just re-post my planet and her leader in hopes someone find a good use for it, since i realy liked doing it.

Name:

Her species have no use for such things.

Alias:

The mastermind of the Ornitnastra, The rebel, The hive mind anomaly.

Alien race:

Ornitnastra.

Description of the race:

The Ornitnastra are a manufactured slave race created by the Ilizos, a scientific race powerd by the sun, using a mixture of their DNA with the Ecntomas, a giant beelike insectoid lifeform.

Their plan was using the sun absorbing qualities of their DNA with the honey creating and hive mind qualities of the Ecntomas to create an end to the lesser races food shortage.

The Ornitnastra are humanoid wasps capable of creating honey. Despite the fact that each single being has it's own personality, they act as a psychic colective, having one great mind commanding all the lesser bodies.

Personal description:

The anomaly looks like your typical Ornitnastra, yellow skin, exoskeleton, she can sprout her wings and stings to fight.

She likes to wear Fancy clothes and jewelry.

She was unable to "connect" with the hive mind and was considered an anomaly. It is a mystery even for her how she was able to survive to adulthood.

Unable to participate of the hive mind activities she escaped the day section of her planet to join the Ecntomas but soon found out they were too barbaric and violent for her taste.

After some years, she decided to free her race from slavery and after a violent revolution she murdered the hive mind master and took it's place. Now in control of an entire species she conquered her planet slaving her frail pacifistic former masters and plans to use their tecnology on her galactic conquest.

Powers:

Psychic resistance: Her brain is able to resist most forms of mental assaults.

Self-Sustenance: The power to remove the need for bodily necessities. These needs include air/breathing, sleep/rest, food, drink, bodily evacuations, shelter from environmental effects and their lack (heat/cold, dryness/wetness), etc.

Solar Empowerment: She can absorve the light of the sun(and other stars) and draw sustenance from it and even slow or stop aging depeding of the intensity.

Royal jelly secretion: Her body can create a extremely nutritious substance from the sunlight; She can create it for her own consumption or for her allies.

Hive mind: She is able to switch bodies with anyone form her race, she also has acess to their minds and is able to "give orders" and organize them the way she wants. Basically her mind has the control of all her race, bodies and minds.

Weakness:

Her body is not adapted to a non solar diet. If she finds her self in a place without sun or star light she will be unable to survive for more then five weeks.

Planet name:

Hesperide

Planet description:

It is a Tidally Locked Planet aka a Twilight world, with a blazing hot desert on the day side, temperate zone of perpetual twilight at the day/night terminator, and sub-freezing wasteland on the night side.

The Ilizos lived in protected cities in the desert sector, using their sun absorbing powers for sustance.

The bee like creatures called Ecntomas lived in the twilight zone with other lesser intelligent races. The lack of food is a great problem in this sector

The ice wasteland of the night section is populated by yeti like creatures and abyssal fishes. Some plebeian Ilizos were able to escape and now are living in the underground region of that area. Using vulcanic heat and Fungi to survive. They are too weak to pose a threat

Technological level:(Both yours and planet)

It is highly advanced but solar dependent. It has all the advances of modern technology but sun powered. They also have power armors and space ships capable of using sun for power and shooting concentrated light beams.

All the non-Ornitnastra races wear special equipment that connects their minds to the hive.

Army:

She has the entire Ornitnastra under her mental control, the elite Ilizos scientists as mind slaves and a frontal army of lesser races.

Personal equipment:

A power armor capable of space travel.

A spaceship capable of generating solar laser beams for defense, solid light shields and light speed travel.

A special helmet capable of enhancing her hive mind powers.

Fancy clothes and jewelry.

Spoiler: The Ornitnastra
    Show

Spoiler: Hesperide
    Show

As requested:

Lesser races

Spoiler
    Show
    Ilizos, higly inteligent, solar powered but frail race.

Ecntomas, sentient beelike lifeforms that hunt for food and create honey to feed their larvae. Highly violent and carnivorous.

Human like Neanderthal creatures with no name, they act as slaves.

Huge gorilla like creatures that act as front line warriors.

"The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock at the door."

I want more Strong female characters.

"In place of a Dark Lord, you would have a queen! Not dark, but beautiful and terrible as the dawn! Treacherous as the sea! Stronger than the foundations of the earth! All shall love me, and despair!"