New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Designing Star-Fantasy Races

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_in_the_Mist View Post
    Oh, and don't forget that if you screw it up, you have a very real chance of causing the Rift-Gate to destabilize and turn into a black hole whilst you're standing at ground zero.
    Not sure I'd go with this, because it would mean that a VERY dedicated team of saboteurs could basically salt the earth. I think the idea of ripping the world and gate apart would make for a very interesting scenario of looting the remnants of a Rift Gate explosion.

Remember, if you fluff it, the PCs WILL weaponize it.

As I said in my earlier post, teleporting isn't entirely perfect - blind jumps can be fatal, easily. It's a great defensive tool for their WorldShips, but for offensive purposes? Not so much. They're stuck mapping the galaxy out by way of phlogiston sailing, and using teleportation to retrace their steps.

Plus, the biggest reason is that they don't want to. Why would they want to fight wars with anyone? Dead people won't give them money for stuff they make. They don't want to take territory from anybody. War is literally no purpose in their society.
    Okay, makes sense. Why are they so peaceful? Do they have good access to resources? Maybe I'm just a touch cynical.

That said, their teleporting abilities do give them a distinct combat edge, which is why no other power has managed to conquer them, despite how enticing having exclusive access to their stuff would be.
    That's...Something that definitely needs to be a thing. Yeah, I could see it being a way to explain why people haven't ganged up on them yet to steal their stuff.

My internet speed refreshes in about 18 hours, so I do intend to start up a google-doc for this project as a whole... although I would appreciate if you clarify exactly what you think it should be used for, because I have a sneaking suspicion we have different intentions/plans/ideas in mind.
    Either a write up of the setting as is, or just a 'codex' of sorts for the races thus discussed.

I'm not entirely sure we should move on to Traggen just yet. Like I keep saying, maybe it'd be helpful to the project if we actually spent some time putting together and filling out the details for the races we've talked about to this point before charging off to new ones?
    Fair point. Which race do we need to go back to? I think the Aelfar/Kixian/Vanadirans were off to a good start. The Aurian empire? I think we got a bit side tracked with them.

That said... I'm not really digging that suggestion, sorry.
    Hey, they can't all be winners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Not sure I'd go with this, because it would mean that a VERY dedicated team of saboteurs could basically salt the earth. I think the idea of ripping the world and gate apart would make for a very interesting scenario of looting the remnants of a Rift Gate explosion.

Point taken. Basically, I was trying to say that Rift-hacking is difficult in the extreme and can go hideously wrong.

Okay, makes sense. Why are they so peaceful? Do they have good access to resources? Maybe I'm just a touch cynical.
    Why would they need to fight? Territory means nothing to them - they fly wherever they want to go. Resources? Besides trade, which is very good for them, being... whatever the term is, space-farers gives them access to the vast and easily accessible mineral wealth of the uncharted regions. Conquest? They don't want to live on sessile planets, so why shed all that blood for them? Honor? They're not traggen, they don't glorify war and killing or make it synonymous with strength and power. With those primary reasons to fight over anything gone, all that's left is self-defense.

That's...Something that definitely needs to be a thing. Yeah, I could see it being a way to explain why people haven't ganged up on them yet to steal their stuff.
    Indeed, which is one of the big reasons why I figured on giving it to them.

Either a write up of the setting as is, or just a 'codex' of sorts for the races thus discussed.
    Huh. Not so different to what I had planned. Well, when the document is set up, I'll share it here and hopefully we can reshape whatever results into something more legible.

Fair point. Which race do we need to go back to? I think the Aelfar/Kixian/Vanadirans were off to a good start. The Aurian empire? I think we got a bit side tracked with them.
    I... don't really know. I still need to fix up the Aurian "list of stuff we know". Really, it depends on what you want; I was thinking I could pick one of the first three and try and do a first draft racial codex for them, just so we can have a clearer view of what they look like so far and where their weak spots might be.

Hey, they can't all be winners!
    Thank you for understanding. We will discuss traggen genders/sexuality when we get to them, I promise.
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

World-Building: Malebolge Campaign Setting (5e), Star-Fantasy Campaign Setting (5e)
    Homebrew Material Index: Misty Shadow's Stupid-Huge Homebrew List

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

What you're saying about the Jarill / "scavvers" is exactly what I was thinking about why they haven't conquered or been conquered.

They're impossible to pin down, and their homes can pretty much vanish without a trace. Other than their mining operations for the duration of use, they have nothing they can't run off with at a moment's notice.

They don't bother taking planets, planets are places where you need to dig the useful stuff out of holes in the dirt, and then haul it back up a gravity well. Space is full of places no one else wants where there are asteroids and comets full of all the stuff the Jarill need to make new things for use and trade, rocks and comets that the Jarill are better than anyone else at mining, but without the "messy" planets that draw in all the "mudder" cultures.

They don't need to take stuff from anyone else, there's always someplace else to get stuff. Space is really big and full of places no one else wants to bother with.

And for the "big governments", there's more incentive to interact peacefully with the Jarill than there is to start a war with them. War with the Jarill means they stop trading with you... and they're the masters of the revenge strike, popping in to your system, dropping kinetic strikes on your planets (big rocks going fast), and then going away before you can do anything about it.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

4. - Top - End - #244

Very good points, Max_Killjoy.

Aurian Vassal Races
    I'll freely admit that not a lot of attention has been specifically focused on any one vassal race, so these notes are going to come off as pretty bare-bones. Each needs some more detailed fleshing out in the future.

Also, whilst we have discussed these sporadically throughout the last couple of pages, a lot of these notes are ideas I just came up with now.

Kitsune
    Elegant, quick-witted, charming and sly, kitsunes are mostly useful to the empire in the role of secret police, rooting out criminals and subversives of all natures and crimes.

Tanuki
    The tanuki are legendary for their skills as alchemists, brewers, chefs and party animals.

They may have a strong connection to the Elixir Vitae; either they're the only ones trusted with making it, or its primary ingredient grows on their homeworld, we haven't really decided which.

One possibility I brought up is that, in reflection of their strongly male identity in mythology, tanuki in this setting may have an over-abundance of males. Now, this is a potentially troubling idea, so I want to discuss with you guys first whether it makes sense to start with.

The other big thing needing discussing here is, if that is the case, then why?

Originally, I suggested that the Aurian Emperors may have modded tanuki to have fewer females in a way to exercise greater control over the race - but, I'm wondering if this isn't too hamfistedly evil a method. After all, there are other options.

For a start, tanuki could just be naturally "alien" in their genders. Either males are just naturally more common than females - something that does happen in real life species as well as fictious aliens - or they have some alien gender(s) that means that, despite reproducing on their own just fine, most/all of them have their most infamously masculine physical trait (or at least seem to have it).

Or, if we keep the "artificially induced gender disparity" thing, it could be something the tanuki did to themselves and which, in a display of how little the Aurian Emperorers care so long as you toe the line, the Empire doesn't care enough about to step in and fix. Under this route, it could either be a case of patriarchy shooting itself in the foot - the classic "if everybody's having sons, then there's no daughters to wed those sons too for to make grandkids" dilemma that is so infamously afflicting China and India today - or an example of Female Misogynist Matriarchy. The "tanuki were patriarchal, used alchemy to make sons more reliably born, but lost control of the potion and haven't been able to come up with an antidote yet" version makes more logical sense, honestly.

Imori
    In a nutshell, the Imori can be summed up as "samurai lizardfolk", although these comparatively small, sleek reptilians have more in common with skinks or geckoes than the hulking, craggy, primordial lizardfolk of other settings.

Imori are valuable to the Aurian Empire because they are the primary militaristic branch of the empire. Already having a militaristic culture that worshipped strength as embodied in martial prowes, discipline and loyalty, the imori clans were easily assimilated into the military of the Aurian Empire.

One of the key elements binding their loyalty to the Empire is their admiration for the Ryujin, who are to Imori what, stereotypically, elves are to humans; more accurately, it's the promise that a worthy imori, one who has proven himself or herself in battle, may receive the coveted honor of being anointed in dragon's blood, earning the transformation from an imori into a ryujin - or at least the advancement of their heir, should their worth be established post-mortem.

Note: In the thread, we discussed the idea of a hiearchy of different reptilian warriors. On reflection, I thought that sounded a little implausibly convoluted; I think lizardfolk foot soldiers seeking to win glory and be promoted to dragonfolk samurai is simpler, easier and more concise, yes? Plus, in at least Chinese mythology, dragons are so magical that they can easily transform other races - hence the (oft-cut) segment from Journey to the West where Monkey and friends need a dragon's urine for medicine (don't ask) and the dragon complains he can't even take a leak in the river without turning some random carp into new dragons.

An idea I brought up that nobody really commented on was the possibility that, in recognition of the gecko's tail-shedding, tail length could be exaggerated amongst imori, and its length a source of pride and status - if you commit a wrongdoing, or lose a duel, or whatever, the punishment is so much of your tail.

Likewise, imori could be a species which is egalitarian, but where females are larger, recognizing the real-world sexual dimorphism of lizards.

Gyokutans
    Rabbitfolk who mostly serve the empire as its breadbasket, producing food and drink that is distributed throughout the empire to keep its population fed.

Original plan for these guys is that they are a comparatively recent addition to the Empire, for an obligatory "Aurian rebel/freedom fighter" PC source, but... I don't know, maybe they don't make sense that way?

Mujina
    Steadfast, stubborn and expert diggers, the mujina are essentially "the dwarves" of the Aurian Empire if not the setting as a whole, being masters of stonework and metalwork.

Itachi
    The itachi are a fast-moving, agile and predatory species from a densely forested world. Though useful to the Empire as couriers and rangers, they have long lamented the magical practices that they were forced to give up by the Empire. There is a profound rebellious streak amongst the itachi, and they fall easily into roles such as rebel, smuggler and assassin.

Kawauso
    Playful and carefree, the kawauso may be an offshoot of the itachi, either evolved to prey upon the riverways and oceans of their world, or else remolded to serve the will of the Emperor of Sea. Though many live a humble life providing aquaculture to feed the Empire, their natural aquatic instincts also translate well to star-ships and they are some of the best pilots in the Imperial Space Navy.

Jorogumo/Tsuchigumo
    A highly mysterious and enigmatic race, which mainly believe does not actually exist. Jorogumo, reputedly, serve as both a source of enchanted silk garb and deadly assassins and ninja. Tsuchigumo are a rare mutant offshoot of jorogumo, supposedly bred to serve as powerful, terrible warriors.

Bakeneko/Nekomata/Kasha
    The source of great enmity between the Aurian Empire and the Vanadirans, the Bakeneko are descendants of former Vanadirans captured and "reeducated" into the services of the Empire. The three different species represent different forms of mutation from the Vanadiran base-stock; Bakenekos are the most common, Nekomatas are believed to descend from Vanadiran witches, and Kasha are a specialized strain bred by the Emperor of Underworld.

Mezu
    A violent and primitive race of beastfolk, mezurin (or whatever we deign to name them) resemble, for lack of better words, a cross between a humanoid horse and an anthropomorphic wolf, creating something with fundamentally horse-like features, but with predatory fangs, a billowing tail, and half-hoof half-claw paws for feet.

It's unknown if mezurin are a conquered race or a created one, but it is known that they have replaced the onstable and unpredictable oni as the Empire's heavy troopers, due to their ruggedness and affinity for all manner of rough terrin. They are also heavily used as guards, particularly in regards slave-labor camps(?) and penal legions.

Note: In the mythology, the Mezu was literally an oni servitor of the gods of hell with a horse's face. Perhaps we can cross-pollinate with the Mares of Diomedes for racial & cultural expansion?

Hakutaku
    Three-eyed ox-people (we need to establish if they re human-faced or ox-faced), the hakutaku have a strong, natural affinity for magic and a culture that values learning, scholasticism, peace and magic. They are of great value to the Empire as sages, mystics, teachers and scholars, although they do have something of a rivalry with the ki'rinii.

Oni
    Created by magically mutating captured traggen raiders, the oni were the backbone of the Aurian Empire's military might for some time. However, the process could never eliminate the fundamental traggen nature of their creations. Rowdy, wild, chaotic, the oni would not bow to their makers, and so were ultimately discarded in favor of the ryujin.

Precise differeces between oni and traggen that don't amount to cosmetics still need to be established.

It's possible, even probable, that even after having been discarded, the oni still serve the Empire indirectly, as their depredations are easy justification for the Empire to annex vulnerable worlds under pretext of assistance, or at least to cover the deployment of spies and secret agents.

Ryujin
    One of the two most high-ranked races in the Empire, the Ryujin are humanoid dragons born from the blood of the God-Emperors. They hold absolute authority in the empire, forming the primary source of aristocrats, and being elevated in rank by virtue of their birthright. Think of how, in Exalted, the Dragon-Blooded Clans are the premier aristocrats of their world, even if there are non-Dragon-Blood nobles as well.

Visually, Ryujin have a semblance to dragonborn, their nearest analogue in most worlds. However, their forms are different, representing their Imperial Dragon ancestry, with slender, almost serpentine builds, fluted horns and almost leonic snouts compared to the more beak-like maws of the common dragonborn.

There are five distinct subspecies of Ryujin, one for each God-Emperor. Though on paper all are equal, in truth, each considers itself slightly superior to its kinfolk.

Proud of their status, but aware of their vulnerabilities, ryujin jostle constantly for power, glory and honor. The games of the celestial court can be harsh and cruel, and more than one ryujin has been either forced to flee to the strange worlds beyond the imperial borders or deliberately exiled there.

Ki'rinii
    Humanoid ki'rins, the ki'rinii are the second of the "great races" of the Aurian Empire, marked by their metaphysical and perhaps literal descent from the God-Emperors.

In contrast to the ryujin, who serve through military might, the ki'rinii are philosopher-priests and sages, bureaucrats and wise-women.

World-Building: Malebolge Campaign Setting (5e), Star-Fantasy Campaign Setting (5e)

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    And for the "big governments", there's more incentive to interact peacefully with the Jarill than there is to start a war with them. War with the Jarill means they stop trading with you... and they're the masters of the revenge strike, popping in to your system, dropping kinetic strikes on your planets (big rocks going fast), and then going away before you can do anything about it.
    I personally would find it amusing if the Jarill found it poetic to destroy planets with bits of other planets. What a sorry way to live!

Kitsune
    Elegant, quick-witted, charming and sly, kitsunes are mostly useful to the empire in the role of secret police, rooting out criminals and subversives of all natures and crimes.
    I feel as if this could go one of two ways: The first being that the Kitsune have a 'cover' in that they are usually servants of high-ranking castes or courtiers to disguise their activities. The other is that they have no cover because the Aurian empire isn't doing anything wrong! They are protecting their charges!

Also, Kitsune maybe should be able to shapeshift, (I know the Japanese version can, I think the Korean/Chinese version can as well?) so having a cover isn't as important to them because you never meet a Kitsune in Kitsune form on the job.

Tanuki
    The tanuki are legendary for their skills as alchemists, brewers, chefs and party animals.
    I feel like a strong culture of hospitality would be welcome here. Perhaps even an inclination to chubbier figures ala the WoW Pandaren.

Also, the idea of them being alchemists is a fun twist on one of their most famous abilities: Instead of turning leaves into money, they turn leaves into profit.

They may have a strong connection to the Elixir Vitae; either they're the only ones trusted with making it, or its primary ingredient grows on their homeworld, we haven't really decided which.
    Doesn't even have to be decided. My proposal of them suffering a past event and turning (or being turned) to the empire still stands, even if the exact nature of their relationship to the Elixier Vitae is never defined. I would imagine that the areas PCs would likely come from (Roving bands of Vanadiran raiders, Space Pirates, or Gyokutoan rebels) wouldn't be likely to know the truth. I doubt most of the Empire would.

One possibility I brought up is that, in reflection of their strongly male identity in mythology, tanuki in this setting may have an over-abundance of males. Now, this is a potentially troubling idea, so I want to discuss with you guys first whether it makes sense to start with.
    Personally, I don't think anyone will fault you for removing their gigantic....Yeah. Perhaps they are sexist? I don't know how the Aurians feel about that. On the one hand, I sorta like the idea that to the God-Emperors, the differences in sex for their mortal wards is really quite insignificant. I also like the idea that they are a practical, wise people, so instead of splitting up labor by sex it makes more sense to pay attention to personal aptitude then to squishy bits. It also presents a different approach then the Traggen, Aelfar, and Vanadirans. And if everyone is overly concerned with people's sex and what profession they have it does get a little weird.

It could also just be a matter of confusion. Fertility rituals were the ranking priest would don a costume to show exaggerated genitals would certainly confuse outsiders if they didn't realize that the priest was a female. Perhaps with a chubbier figure and thick, plush, fur it's a little harder to tell what is going on underneath. Or Tanuki, being Tanuki, like to spread their fertility rituals and shock outsiders at the same time and a figure or ritual associated with exaggerated genitals became a favored pastime of drunk Tanuki partying in other people's lands.

Another possibility is that unlike the real-life Tanuki, males have glossier, more colorful morphs. With the advent of genetic manipulation, women felt that men shouldn't be the only ones with a lovely golden or reddish coat instead of their drab gray. Having a procedure done to get the male coat is quite fashionable as well as confusing for outsiders. If the Tanuki are fond of pranks (as they well should be), they might find it quite amusing to go as far as to use perfumes to mask their sex to further confuse others as a joke.

Or, the event that caused them to be dependent on the Empire was perpetuated by the Aelfar, who unleashed a plague that caused them to be greatly sexually dimorphic. Males lost their sense of smell and became larger, while females retained their scent and remained small. Not all Tanuki go by such standards, but it is traditional for a female to handle the cooking, brewing and household affairs due to being less clumsy and having a sense of smell. Males are associated with money outside of the household, because being big and intimidating, they are less likely to get mugged. Males are more common outside of their home world not due to a sense of keeping the women home, but because they still dominate trade. Which would preserve the connection between a male tanuki's sack and his sack of money. (and of course, much like the Japanese Samurai class, traditional male tanuki hand over any money they made to their spouse.)

Unlike the other vassal races, the tanuki's sexually dimorphism might be seen as highly aberrant. Even if the Tanuki are quite dimorphic some females might find it funny or safer to pose (or given Tanuki powers, to become as strong) as a male. Tanuki do possess a shapeshifting ability in many stories, after all.

Originally, I suggested that the Aurian Emperors may have modded tanuki to have fewer females in a way to exercise greater control over the race - but, I'm wondering if this isn't too hamfistedly evil a method. After all, there are other options.
    I feel it is quite evil, easy to mistake as political commentary that wasn't intended, and far too unsubtle for the God-Emperors. Also a good way to make the Tanuki defect.

For a start, tanuki could just be naturally "alien" in their genders. Either males are just naturally more common than females - something that does happen in real life species as well as fictious aliens - or they have some alien gender(s) that means that, despite reproducing on their own just fine, most/all of them have their most infamously masculine physical trait (or at least seem to have it).
    Well, hyenas have a psuedo-phallus. If Tanuki are shape shifters maybe they just become male or male-ish when convenient. Stuck outside without a bathroom? Yeah, better become male. Want to write your name in the snow? No problem! Female bathroom has longer lines? Quick fix to that!

You rejected the idea of several male genders earlier, but what if that applied to the Tanuki? See, depending on the food the mother eats, her sons wind up as Alpha/Beta/Gamma males. Outsiders mistake females for gamma males, despite this class of males actually resembling females.

Or, if we keep the "artificially induced gender disparity" thing, it could be something the tanuki did to themselves and which, in a display of how little the Aurian Emperorers care so long as you toe the line, the Empire doesn't care enough about to step in and fix. Under this route, it could either be a case of patriarchy shooting itself in the foot - the classic "if everybody's having sons, then there's no daughters to wed those sons too for to make grandkids" dilemma that is so infamously afflicting China and India today - or an example of Female Misogynist Matriarchy. The "tanuki were patriarchal, used alchemy to make sons more reliably born, but lost control of the potion and haven't been able to come up with an antidote yet" version makes more logical sense, honestly.
    Again, I would shy away from this unless you intend to make political discourse.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2017-07-16 at 01:11 PM.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #246

I personally would find it amusing if the Jarill found it poetic to destroy planets with bits of other planets. What a sorry way to live!
    Agreed on that. It does make a lot of sense.

I feel as if this could go one of two ways: The first being that the Kitsune have a 'cover' in that they are usually servants of high-ranking castes or courtiers to disguise their activities. The other is that they have no cover because the Aurian empire isn't doing anything wrong! They are protecting their charges!

Also, Kitsune maybe should be able to shapeshift, (I know the Japanese version can, I think the Korean/Chinese version can as well?) so having a cover isn't as important to them because you never meet a Kitsune in Kitsune form on the job.
    Hmm... hard to say; really, I'm kind of having a hard time picturing the kitsunes as an entire race of spies, couriers and diplomats.

If it helps, this is my current draft of the kitsune statblock in general D&D 5e play; apart from ignoring the Hengeyokai racial trait, because I'm not seeing the "turn into aniomal or human shape" being that useful in a setting this multi-racial, I feel it's pretty solid, and it may help us figure out what to do with kitsunes.

Spoiler: 5e Kitsune stats, spoilered for smoother reading.
    Show
    Kitsune
    Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Intelligence
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 30 feet
    Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
    Foxfire: You know the Produce Flame and Dancing Light cantrips, which you can cast with Charisma. At 3rd level, you can cast Faerie Fire with this trait as a 1st level spell once per long rest, again using Charisma as your casting ability score.
    Trickster’s Guile: You have Proficiency in Charisma (Deception).
    Hengeyokai: Fox

Racial Feat: Fox Magic
    Some kitsune are more magical than others. Through deliberate meditation or just the whims of fate, you are amongst those kitsune whose magical potency is naturally greater.
    Prerequisite: Race - Kitsune
    Effect: Choose one of the Tails listed below. At 3rd level, you gain the ability to cast a single spell determined by that tail. At 5th level, you gain a second spell also determined by that tail. Finally, at 9th level, you gain a third and final spell determined by that tail. Spells cast through this feat are cast at their minimum caster level and use Charisma as their spellcasting ability score. Spells cast through this feat can be used once, and then you must complete a long rest before you can cast them again.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time you select it, you must select a new Tail to gain.
    Special: When you first select a Tail through this feat, you gain an additional tail. You gain a second tail when you gain a spell at 9th level due to this feat. Extra tails are visible in fox and hybrid form and may, at the DM’s discretion, grant you Advantage on Charisma checks against other yokai, who recognize their numbers as a sign of power.
    • Tail of Charm: Charm Person at 3rd level, Suggestion at 5th level, Hypnotic Pattern at 9th level.
    • Tail of Wrath: Blindness/Deafness at 5th level, Bestow Curse at 9th level.
    • Tail of Fire: Burning Hands at 3rd level, Aganazzar's Scorcher at 5th level, Fireball at 9th level.
    • Tail of Malice: Crown of Madness at 5th level, Fear at 9th level.

I feel like a strong culture of hospitality would be welcome here. Perhaps even an inclination to chubbier figures ala the WoW Pandaren.

Also, the idea of them being alchemists is a fun twist on one of their most famous abilities: Instead of turning leaves into money, they turn leaves into profit.
    Both the hospitality-pride as a cultural quirk makes sense, as tanuki are generally portrayed as very friendly (or at least amusingly oafish) in myths, and the chubbier figure makes sense; tanuki in real life are pretty fluffy, and in mythology, the round belly of the tanuki is itself one of the reasons why it's a symbol of good fortune. Specifically, it represents being bold and calmly decisive.

Doesn't even have to be decided. My proposal of them suffering a past event and turning (or being turned) to the empire still stands, even if the exact nature of their relationship to the Elixier Vitae is never defined. I would imagine that the areas PCs would likely come from (Roving bands of Vanadiran raiders, Space Pirates, or Gyokutoan rebels) wouldn't be likely to know the truth. I doubt most of the Empire would.
    Point... maybe drop that connection then, as you said.

Personally, I don't think anyone will fault you for removing their gigantic....Yeah. Perhaps they are sexist? I don't know how the Aurians feel about that. On the one hand, I sorta like the idea that to the God-Emperors, the differences in sex for their mortal wards is really quite insignificant. I also like the idea that they are a practical, wise people, so instead of splitting up labor by sex it makes more sense to pay attention to personal aptitude then to squishy bits. It also presents a different approach then the Traggen, Aelfar, and Vanadirans. And if everyone is overly concerned with people's sex and what profession they have it does get a little weird.

It could also just be a matter of confusion. Fertility rituals were the ranking priest would don a costume to show exaggerated genitals would certainly confuse outsiders if they didn't realize that the priest was a female. Perhaps with a chubbier figure and thick, plush, fur it's a little harder to tell what is going on underneath. Or Tanuki, being Tanuki, like to spread their fertility rituals and shock outsiders at the same time and a figure or ritual associated with exaggerated genitals became a favored pastime of drunk Tanuki partying in other people's lands.

Another possibility is that unlike the real-life Tanuki, males have glossier, more colorful morphs. With the advent of genetic manipulation, women felt that men shouldn't be the only ones with a lovely golden or reddish coat instead of their drab gray. Having a procedure done to get the male coat is quite fashionable as well as confusing for outsiders. If the Tanuki are fond of pranks (as they well should be), they might find it quite amusing to go as far as to use perfumes to mask their sex to further confuse others as a joke.

Or, the event that caused them to be dependent on the Empire was perpetuated by the Aelfar, who unleashed a plague that caused them to be greatly sexually dimorphic. Males lost their sense of smell and became larger, while females retained their scent and remained small. Not all Tanuki go by such standards, but it is traditional for a female to handle the cooking, brewing and household affairs due to being less clumsy and having a sense of smell. Males are associated with money outside of the household, because being big and intimidating, they are less likely to get mugged. Males are more common outside of their home world not due to a sense of keeping the women home, but because they still dominate trade. Which would preserve the connection between a male tanuki's sack and his sack of money. (and of course, much like the Japanese Samurai class, traditional male tanuki hand over any money they made to their spouse.)

Unlike the other vassal races, the tanuki's sexually dimorphism might be seen as highly aberrant. Even if the Tanuki are quite dimorphic some females might find it funny or safer to pose (or given Tanuki powers, to become as strong) as a male. Tanuki do possess a shapeshifting ability in many stories, after all.
    Yeah... I think the real issue why I'm considering the matter is, one, my exposure to the decidedly less than PG-13 rated Golarion setting, and two, my familiarity with Trials in Tainted Space - don't ask about it here, and don't look it up; it's very much Not Safe For Work. It's... probably best to leave out that particular reference, because it's too easy to become magical realmy. I don't know, what do you think, Max_Killjoy? Or anyone else keeping up with this thread?

I feel it is quite evil, easy to mistake as political commentary that wasn't intended, and far too unsubtle for the God-Emperors. Also a good way to make the Tanuki defect.
    Aggred; on reflection, it just does not make sense.

Well, hyenas have a psuedo-phallus. If Tanuki are shape shifters maybe they just become male or male-ish when convenient. Stuck outside without a bathroom? Yeah, better become male. Want to write your name in the snow? No problem! Female bathroom has longer lines? Quick fix to that!

You rejected the idea of several male genders earlier, but what if that applied to the Tanuki? See, depending on the food the mother eats, her sons wind up as Alpha/Beta/Gamma males. Outsiders mistake females for gamma males, despite this class of males actually resembling females.
    I appreciate the sentiments, but... nah, neither really feels right for a tanuki.

Again, I would shy away from this unless you intend to make political discourse.
    I don't know... I do get the logic that maybe it's best to just remove the testicle reference altogether, or go with your "it stems from a tanuki fertility deity and/or rites honoring said deity", and I'm happy to stick with it.

That said, in a world where magic is real, it's logical that people can abuse it out of just not thinking things through - our own world history is proof of that. And, as I said, strong cultural selection for one gender has had a real problematic outcome in our world today; places like China and India genuinely are facing issues where the cultural preference for sons has led to a severe deficit of women. So, it isn't really that implausible on pure logic that you could have a species that screwed itself over by playing around with magic in pursuit of cultural beliefs that, whoopsy, turned out to be not such a bright idea.

So... yeah, I could personally see & use tanuki as a male-favoring/masculine "weird gendered" race, but I admit that's magical realm contaminated. Unless you and Max_Killjoy have a change of opinions, let's stick with this idea:

The tanuki are a bawdy people whose most beloved deity/deities sport exaggerated testes, so icons of those and religious ceremonies where priests wear exaggerated genitalia have become infamous.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

That said, in a world where magic is real, it's logical that people can abuse it out of just not thinking things through - our own world history is proof of that. And, as I said, strong cultural selection for one gender has had a real problematic outcome in our world today; places like China and India genuinely are facing issues where the cultural preference for sons has led to a severe deficit of women. So, it isn't really that implausible on pure logic that you could have a species that screwed itself over by playing around with magic in pursuit of cultural beliefs that, whoopsy, turned out to be not such a bright idea.
    Hrm. I really like the idea of the Tanuki trying to fix an alchemical mistake, it gives them some sort of history. Perhaps they used a type of medicine to overcome a sickness or illness and it backfired. The same idea of magical abuse, but without the political implications.

As for the connection between the Tanuki and the Elixir Vitae, I never suggested getting rid of it. Just that the average (and most above-average) person wouldn't know the exact connection so it could be a little fuzzy because the players wouldn't know the exact nature.

8. - Top - End - #248

Hrm. I really like the idea of the Tanuki trying to fix an alchemical mistake, it gives them some sort of history. Perhaps they used a type of medicine to overcome a sickness or illness and it backfired. The same idea of magical abuse, but without the political implications.
    Hmm... you know, a simple accident that backfired and had an effect on tanuki genders - likely a plague medicine that worked, but had drastic side effects - would be okay with me. Like you said, same idea of magical abuse/risk, but no nasty political implications.

If that's the case, we'd need to figure out what effect it actually had.

For comparison, in Tainted Space, the "Kui-tan" (sci-fi tanuki) were afflicted by the Kintama Plague; a male virility booster gene-mod that went viral and infected the species, causing not only males to develop mutated testes that visibly inflate with semen due to heightened production, but for females to grow functioning (and similarly afflicted) male genitalia of their own.... I did warn you it was NSFW.

As for the connection between the Tanuki and the Elixir Vitae, I never suggested getting rid of it. Just that the average (and most above-average) person wouldn't know the exact connection so it could be a little fuzzy because the players wouldn't know the exact nature.
    Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes sense, and you're right, it's easier and better lore to have it that whatever connection - if there is any connection, it might just be rumor, hearsay and speculation - is something that only the top of the top would know.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

As a side example of that, we had a GM whose undead were created/powered by magically-inscribed gems that had a high chance to detonate in a magical explosion if handled roughly.

Guess how long it took for PCs to come up with a way to safely harvest and transport said gems, and for one of them to learn how to use a sling...

(I'll catch up tomorrow morning and comment on details.)
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-07-16 at 09:49 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

I think the idea of the Tanuki having caused their own crisis, and having been saved by the Aurian God-Emperors works. It gives the Tanuki a reason to be loyal to the GEs instead of resentful for something the GEs did to them. And the relationship can be mutual instead of one-sided, in that the Tanuki can make the concoction that extends the GEs' already long lives, and the GEs' "soul magic" can be what helps the Tanuki overcome whatever they did to themselves.

Not sure how the logistics would work, but if every unborn Tanuki needs a "soul magic" blessing to survive to birth, that might work... Ki-Rin "high priests" of the GEs might be able to conduct the blessing in the name of the GEs', channeling their power.

This might be because the Tanuki's experiments in life extension ended up doing something terrible to their own ability to "create new souls" naturally, leading most children to be born without souls and quickly wither away...
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-07-17 at 11:04 AM.

11. - Top - End - #251

I think the idea of the Tanuki having caused their own crisis, and having been saved by the Aurian God-Emperors works. It gives the Tanuki a reason to be loyal to the GEs instead of resentful for something the GEs did to them. And the relationship can be mutual instead of one-sided, in that the Tanuki can make the concoction that extends the GEs' already long lives, and the GEs' "soul magic" can be what helps the Tanuki overcome whatever they did to themselves.

Not sure how the logistics would work, but if every unborn Tanuki needs a "soul magic" blessing to survive to birth, that might work... Ki-Rin "high priests" of the GEs might be able to conduct the blessing in the name of the GEs', channeling their power.

This might be because the Tanuki's experiments in life extension ended up doing something terrible to their own ability to "create new souls" naturally, leading most children to be born without souls and quickly wither away...
    Hmm... not exactly what we were discussing it for, but it looks like we all agree that the tanuki suffering an alchemical crisis that the Aurians helped them to recover from could be a good idea. I think we're sort of waiting on Honest Tiefling to return and reply first before we can really progress.

Spoiler: Spoilered for potential NSFW/squeamishness
    Show

So, I just couldn't resist sitting down and trying to think up what gender mutations might possibly resonate with the tanuki's mythical association with male genitalia, and these are the ones I have so far...

Females mutated into fully functioning hermaphrodites, with female physiques, but functioning male and female sexual organs.

Females developed pseudo-phalluses like the spotted hyena. This mutation could be taken in either of two directions. The first is that the female "testes" are, like the spotted hyenas, actually just specially shaped and fused labia, though they may become engorged when aroused or in estrous. The second is that the "testes" are actually external uteruses; the tanuki respect for those with massive testicles is because such individuals are actually expectant mothers.

A significant minority or majority of tanuki are born either as... whatever the professional term is for "intersexed individual with female characteristics and male genitalia" or as part of a spectrum of genitaliac anomalies (basically, the "afflicted" cover women with male genitalia, hermaphrodites, and either or both forms of pseudo-phallused female), with "pure" females thus seeming outnumbered by males and pseudo-males when the two groups are taken as a whole.

The entire tanuki species has evolved into a sort of monogendered race; every tanuki looks male, or at least masculine, in terms of genitalia, but is in fact a hermaphroditic entity who can impregnate or be impregnated, either by a concealed vaginal orifice or by the mutation of the anus into a cloaca-equivalent.

All of these can potentially be disturbing, I know. But then, so could the lore about Aelfar reproduction. If you agree it's best to close the door on this idea, I'll do so without regret, but I have no regret about tackling it honestly and forthrightly, either.

12. - Top - End - #252

Just seeking to bump this thread... the thought has struck me that if this is a star-based science fantasy, I'm going to need some planets, aren't I? Both fully integrated into the Star-Raiders setting proper, and examples of "attached" sub-settings, ala how Spelljammer could be played on its own, but also lead you to Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk?

If this is true... should I start spilling my proverbial guts and share what ideas I have for the galaxy as a whole? Or are you guys not interested in that side of the project?

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Just seeking to bump this thread... the thought has struck me that if this is a star-based science fantasy, I'm going to need some planets, aren't I? Both fully integrated into the Star-Raiders setting proper, and examples of "attached" sub-settings, ala how Spelljammer could be played on its own, but also lead you to Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk?

If this is true... should I start spilling my proverbial guts and share what ideas I have for the galaxy as a whole? Or are you guys not interested in that side of the project?
    I'm not abandoning this thread, just not in a mental space to contribute much at the moment.

14. - Top - End - #254

I'm not abandoning this thread, just not in a mental space to contribute much at the moment.
    I... didn't realize I was accusing you of abandoning this thread. I'm sorry, Max_Killjoy, I didn't mean to suggest that.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

I... didn't realize I was accusing you of abandoning this thread. I'm sorry, Max_Killjoy, I didn't mean to suggest that.
    You didn't, at all -- I was just letting you know.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

On this -- I'd be happy to take a look at planets and other locations.

One thing I would recommend for "tie ins" with other settings is that it's restricted to settings that don't clash with this one. But I'm a stickler for internal consistency and coherence.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

He's talking about me. Unfortunately, work has reared it's head and I might have issues responding in a timely fashion. (If it helps, I really rather be commenting on this thread then sorting through a house a tenant has left behind. Last time it involved a great number of panties.)

Spoiler: Also spoilered for potential squick
    Show

As for the Hermaphrodite issue...Well, I think we should ask ourselves, what do we want to accomplish with this, and what might it actually accomplish in a game? I get the feeling that the increased number of hermaphroditic individuals is meant to play with ideas of gender. We got crazy amounts of space magic and space magic tech, so why the heck not! I personally find it bizarre in settings that are meant to be extreme in their diversity to stick to the ol' binary gender model. I can excuse Planescape, but I think modern settings need a bit of creativity in that department.

I do worry that as presented it uh...Will have players get the vastly wrong idea about the setting. I am not trying to accuse you of perversion, but I think your attention to detail is not going to help in this case. I get that you like creating, but if the average DM sat down with his group with your description...They're going to get the wrong idea of things. I think when it comes to certain aspects of sexuality, there is something to be said about being subtle. So I would not actually call out these women as being fully functional, because the average player wouldn't even encounter that, or know about it. (The functionality of a lady's genitals, after all, should never be a topic discussed by gentlemen or other ladies unless they are in the midst of attempting to create more ladies and gentlemen). I just wouldn't mention that tidbit at all.

It also sends a rather nasty message. Hermaphrodites and intersex individuals only get a mention with the crazy-as-**** evil elf people, and as being a massive mistake that the God-Emperors needed to fix. I would argue that the intersex nature of the Aelfar was simply going to happen and makes them less sexist in a way. It being a giant intergalactic mistake? Not how I would go about things.

It could just be naturally occurring for the Tanuki, and something that existed before the accident. Tanuki just don't care and like themselves the way they are, thank you very much. Could even be the reverse, where this accident reduced the number of intersex females, which caused a panic. They could have been an ancient caste of priestesses in the Tanuki religion, and through many acknowledge that it might be a little discriminatory to continue the practice, it's still a part of their heritage that some people believe should be continued, just with opposition that feel that making this distinction between the females or having a female-only priesthood was a bad idea.

As for planets, I think that the setting will probably dictate what is going on with those. The Aelfar planet for instance, is probably dead, but was dark, possibly even a rogue planet. The Jarill came from an artic planet, and so forth. However, I don't think it would be amiss to start jotting down ideas of planets, because you are going to need a lot of those and ways to make them unique. No one wants a universe full of Hoth 2.0!

And personally, I think planets need a bit more personality then being a single biome planet. However, the argument must be made that is basically a feature of the era. I think I like the idea that sometimes the ley lines converge on a planet (I guess they're pretty stretchy) and force it to become a single biome planet. It ties the leylines to the druids, acknowledges that few habitable planets would be a single biome, but allows their existence. Also, if a DM needs to make a planet on the fly, they can just put in a single biome planet rather then doing a lot of research and work on something the PCs will probably blow up anyway.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2017-07-21 at 03:26 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

He's talking about me.
    Nope, I was talking about me, I was mentally drained and wasn't sure when my tanks were going to refill at the time.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Also spoilered for potential squick
    Show

As for the Hermaphrodite issue...Well, I think we should ask ourselves, what do we want to accomplish with this, and what might it actually accomplish in a game? I get the feeling that the increased number of hermaphroditic individuals is meant to play with ideas of gender. We got crazy amounts of space magic and space magic tech, so why the heck not! I personally find it bizarre in settings that are meant to be extreme in their diversity to stick to the ol' binary gender model. I can excuse Planescape, but I think modern settings need a bit of creativity in that department.

I do worry that as presented it uh...Will have players get the vastly wrong idea about the setting. I am not trying to accuse you of perversion, but I think your attention to detail is not going to help in this case. I get that you like creating, but if the average DM sat down with his group with your description...They're going to get the wrong idea of things. I think when it comes to certain aspects of sexuality, there is something to be said about being subtle. So I would not actually call out these women as being fully functional, because the average player wouldn't even encounter that, or know about it. (The functionality of a lady's genitals, after all, should never be a topic discussed by gentlemen or other ladies unless they are in the midst of attempting to create more ladies and gentlemen). I just wouldn't mention that tidbit at all.

It also sends a rather nasty message. Hermaphrodites and intersex individuals only get a mention with the crazy-as-**** evil elf people, and as being a massive mistake that the God-Emperors needed to fix. I would argue that the intersex nature of the Aelfar was simply going to happen and makes them less sexist in a way. It being a giant intergalactic mistake? Not how I would go about things.

It could just be naturally occurring for the Tanuki, and something that existed before the accident. Tanuki just don't care and like themselves the way they are, thank you very much. Could even be the reverse, where this accident reduced the number of intersex females, which caused a panic. They could have been an ancient caste of priestesses in the Tanuki religion, and through many acknowledge that it might be a little discriminatory to continue the practice, it's still a part of their heritage that some people believe should be continued, just with opposition that feel that making this distinction between the females or having a female-only priesthood was a bad idea.
    Spoiler: Spoilered also for kinda same reason
    Show

Or the entire Tanuki species could naturally be hermaphrodites, one and all, full functional either way, and it has nothing to do with the problems they had or their crazy research or what the Aurians help them overcome.

This is perfectly natural for the species, a Tanuki can be a father or a mother to an offspring, and they consider "sexually bifurcated species" incomplete and view them with a touch of pity.

As for planets, I think that the setting will probably dictate what is going on with those. The Aelfar planet for instance, is probably dead, but was dark, possibly even a rogue planet. The Jarill came from an artic planet, and so forth. However, I don't think it would be amiss to start jotting down ideas of planets, because you are going to need a lot of those and ways to make them unique. No one wants a universe full of Hoth 2.0!

And personally, I think planets need a bit more personality then being a single biome planet. However, the argument must be made that is basically a feature of the era. I think I like the idea that sometimes the ley lines converge on a planet (I guess they're pretty stretchy) and force it to become a single biome planet. It ties the leylines to the druids, acknowledges that few habitable planets would be a single biome, but allows their existence. Also, if a DM needs to make a planet on the fly, they can just put in a single biome planet rather then doing a lot of research and work on something the PCs will probably blow up anyway.
    Yeah, try to avoid "planet of hats".

I lampshaded this trope in my SF setting by having planets that were known for certain things, but those were hardly the only things that actually were located on or happening on those planets.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-07-21 at 05:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260

Spoiler: To preserve NSFW standards
    Show

Yes, I agree with your comments here. My intention with using this idea is to 1: homage the infamous mythology of the tanuki, and 2: emphasize the alien nature of this setting by having races that don't fit the standard two genders.

That said, you're right; overt sexuality doesn't really help the setting so much, and taking a more subtle approach is much for the better.

Very good point here, and I agree with you.

I agree, it makes much more sense and feels much more palpable if it's a natural, even celebated part of who the tanuki are as a people.

What I need your help in narrowing down is simple: what works best? The one-gender approach? The "two-genders but different" approach? Or the three-genders approach? If I can get your opinion there, I can draft up the first attempt of a basic explanation of who tanuki are as a people vis a vis their genders.

Or the entire Tanuki species could naturally be hermaphrodites, one and all, full functional either way, and it has nothing to do with the problems they had or their crazy research or what the Aurians help them overcome.

This is perfectly natural for the species, a Tanuki can be a father or a mother to an offspring, and they consider "sexually bifurcated species" incomplete and view them with a touch of pity.
    I'll be honest, this actually my preferred way of tackling the race. Maybe argue on if they should have female secondary sexual characteristics (ie, breasts) and, if yes, when/how, but this is the simplest way of making the race functional and also referencing the tanuki's very male mythological identity.

I do agree with your point here, especially the last sentence! What I'm saying, though, is that much as how Spelljammer had "city-seeds" like the Rock of Braal, we should probably include some of those places so DMs can more easily start players off, you get what I mean?

But yes, you do get what I mean. I do have some crude inklings of ideas, and I'm eager to solicit your own ideas when you both have the time - so many other projects and real life issues dragging me away, I'm not getting on this as fast as I should.

Just to keep myself from forgetting, some of the ideas I've had include:
    • A major pirate/merc/freebooter/star-raider city-hub station in "Free Space" - think if Deep Space 9 was basically the Mos Eisley cantina.
    • A pseudo-Nordic freezing world inspired by what little I know of Hellfrost.
    • An expy of The Burning Tomb from Black Crusade - for the uncertain, basically Lethal Lava Land inhabited by demons and pyromantic warlocks and rumored to be the tomb of an incredibly powerful demon.
    • A pleasure world in the Aurian Empire.
    • A solar system used for proxy-wars by two or three Aelfar noble dynasties.
    • A world that is more or less Game of Thrones if the human races were replaced by anthro animals.
    • A young world that Paxian geo-culturists are nurturing the evolution of, where sapient life is just coming to be.
    • A former medical station left abandoned after it was infested by Moldies (vegepygmies as space zombies, essentially).

Hmm... the idea that single-biome habitable words are usually the source of leyline nexuses and/or otherwise influenced by the glactic leyline makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Shadow_in_the_Mist; 2017-07-21 at 06:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd argue against the idea of them being a mono-sex race. The idea is for them to have a reference to their mythology, which makes them very male. (I believe many Japanese mythological creatures tend to follow the trend of only having a single sex, or am I wrong?) Why would a race with only a single sex evolve to have two genders? Without a reason, it doesn't make sense why they would just fabricate two and only two genders. Not one, not three, just two.

I could see their genders coming around because of biological concerns. Their genders are less 'male' and 'female' and more 'motherly' and 'fatherly'. While the father might have the bits to carry a child to term, he's the one building the nursery while the mother is the one making the clothing and preparing some poultices. With enough alchemy, people could choose which role they prefer, who gets to carry the child and even who gets to breastfeed the child.

Heck, one could make the argument that if anything were to happen to the mother, the father could just get a temporary fix and finish the job. Poor other races, whose husbands will never be able or willing to do such a wonderful thing for them! Or even volunteer to handle a bit of the breastfeeding if something happens! Poor dears. The more I think about this, this is how I would present a mono-sex race with two genders.

You could go with the simple approach, that their race has an unusually high number of female hermaphrodites, which they like just fine and like to celebrate their diversity. Some of their ladies come with a bit more but a gentlemen never asks and most don't care.

22. - Top - End - #262

I'd argue against the idea of them being a mono-sex race. The idea is for them to have a reference to their mythology, which makes them very male. (I believe many Japanese mythological creatures tend to follow the trend of only having a single sex, or am I wrong?) Why would a race with only a single sex evolve to have two genders? Without a reason, it doesn't make sense why they would just fabricate two and only two genders. Not one, not three, just two.

I could see their genders coming around because of biological concerns. Their genders are less 'male' and 'female' and more 'motherly' and 'fatherly'. While the father might have the bits to carry a child to term, he's the one building the nursery while the mother is the one making the clothing and preparing some poultices. With enough alchemy, people could choose which role they prefer, who gets to carry the child and even who gets to breastfeed the child.

Heck, one could make the argument that if anything were to happen to the mother, the father could just get a temporary fix and finish the job. Poor other races, whose husbands will never be able or willing to do such a wonderful thing for them! Or even volunteer to handle a bit of the breastfeeding if something happens! Poor dears. The more I think about this, this is how I would present a mono-sex race with two genders.

You could go with the simple approach, that their race has an unusually high number of female hermaphrodites, which they like just fine and like to celebrate their diversity. Some of their ladies come with a bit more but a gentlemen never asks and most don't care.
    So, let me just establish that we're on the same page here:

You're arguing that Tanuki should be a race of simultaneous hermaphrodites, where every individual has both masculine and feminine sexual organs, but has evolved a spectrum of gender identities based on two fundamental genders: Mother and Father (which mostly, but not entirely, correlate to Female and Male respectively)?

Because, this is an idea that makes a lot of sense to me. It feels like something that can be presented matter-of-factly and without coming off as too unsettling.

If we can agree that this is the way to handle tanuki, I'll put forth a draft of their codex's "Gender Notes" section.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

You're arguing that Tanuki should be a race of simultaneous hermaphrodites, where every individual has both masculine and feminine sexual organs, but has evolved a spectrum of gender identities based on two fundamental genders: Mother and Father (which mostly, but not entirely, correlate to Female and Male respectively)?
    Pretty much. It gives them a male identity, and gives a reason why they'd have roughly two genders. It also acknowledges that motherhood is not the end-all be-all qualification for femaleness, or the same with maleness and fatherhood. Or if the Tanuki do believe that, they might not be in the right as far as the writer is concerned.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

I'd argue that in order to really push them away from the standard Earth concepts of reproductive gender and into something truly alien and "fantastic" (from the typical reader's or player's point of view), the Tanuki should generally consider it quite normal for an individual to eventually, in a physical reproductive sense, play both the male and the female role at some point in their life.

25. - Top - End - #265

Alright, based on this conversation, this is what I'd write in the Tanuki codex on this aspect: what do you both think?

When it comes to the topic of gender, many other races find tanuki confusing, for they belong to the minority of humanoids who don't fit the conventions. Tanuki are a species of simultaneous hermaphrodites, with each individual having both masculine and feminine reproductive organs. To the eyes of most other races, all tanuki look like androgynous males, unless they have stimulated the growth of more feminine secondary characteristics, either through childbirth or through alchemical augmenttion. Further complicating the matter, tanuki do have different gender identities, based on cultural roles rather than physical sex. Although they sometimes refer to these genders as "male" and "female" when interacting with members of other races, they more accurately translate as "father" and "mother". Even more confusing for the uninitiated, tanuki expect individuals to switch between these genders throughout their lives, and sometimes even on a daily basis. Many non-tanuki, unless specifically asked to do otherwise, prefer to simply refer to all tanuki as "male".

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

1) Minor nitpick, but gender is technically already 100% cultural roles rather then physical sex. That's what gender IS. I think it should be rephrased to "Further complicating the matter, tanuki do have different gender identities, selected by the tanuki when they become older and decide which role they want when rearing children."

2) Why do they swap genders so often? I am not saying that's a bad decision, but I don't think you can have a society with expectations of random gender changes without some explanation. Through I think tanuki should also change genders to prank other races. That's more of their mythos then their 'purse'!

3) I thought the beastfolk of the Aurian empire were already pretty animal-like. I...Don't really think most of us have a good idea what an androgynous male tanuki would look like in real life, let alone a humanoid version. Also, did you approve of them being chubbier or fluffier then most other races to give them a rotund appearance?

27. - Top - End - #267

1) Minor nitpick, but gender is technically already 100% cultural roles rather then physical sex. That's what gender IS. I think it should be rephrased to "Further complicating the matter, tanuki do have different gender identities, selected by the tanuki when they become older and decide which role they want when rearing children."
    It is nitpicking, but that's a fair rewrite.

2) Why do they swap genders so often? I am not saying that's a bad decision, but I don't think you can have a society with expectations of random gender changes without some explanation. Through I think tanuki should also change genders to prank other races. That's more of their mythos then their 'purse'!
    Again, that may require some rewriting. What I meant is that tanuki don't consider gender "fixed"; the individual who know as a "father" might one day decide he wants to be a "mother", talking about how he's found a lover he wants to settle down with and bear children by, or a calm "mother" may resume more "fatherly" behavior and become a wild party-animal once her children have moved out of the house.

Though you're right in that messing with peoples' heads by switching genders is prime prank material amongst tanuki.

3) I thought the beastfolk of the Aurian empire were already pretty animal-like. I...Don't really think most of us have a good idea what an androgynous male tanuki would look like in real life, let alone a humanoid version. Also, did you approve of them being chubbier or fluffier then most other races to give them a rotund appearance?
    Keep in mind, you're seeing an orphaned paragraph; in the codex as a whole, there will be more detail to hopefully fill in things so you can picture them.

Also, yes, I approved of them being generally curvier than normal, due to both biology and fluffy fur.

So, do either of you think I should start coming up with and elaborating upon cosmic locales now? It seems like we're pretty much agreed on the tanuki sex/gender issue. Unless Max_Killjoy suddenly swoops in out of nowhere with a well aimed logic torpedo, that is.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Again, that may require some rewriting. What I meant is that tanuki don't consider gender "fixed"; the individual who know as a "father" might one day decide he wants to be a "mother", talking about how he's found a lover he wants to settle down with and bear children by, or a calm "mother" may resume more "fatherly" behavior and become a wild party-animal once her children have moved out of the house.
    Given Tanuki in mythology, I do have to question the idea that only one gender goes out partying and swindling people for free booze. That's like, 75% of their mythology.

So, do either of you think I should start coming up with and elaborating upon cosmic locales now? It seems like we're pretty much agreed on the tanuki sex/gender issue. Unless Max_Killjoy suddenly swoops in out of nowhere with a well aimed logic torpedo, that is.
    True, but in a biological sense, I don't think the actual Tanuki exhibits much sexual dimorphism, unless you mean that they resemble a human androngynous male. But you're right, I should wait for the description

29. - Top - End - #269

Given Tanuki in mythology, I do have to question the idea that only one gender goes out partying and swindling people for free booze. That's like, 75% of their mythology.
    ...It was an example. Just to try and get my message across.

True, but in a biological sense, I don't think the actual Tanuki exhibits much sexual dimorphism, unless you mean that they resemble a human androngynous male. But you're right, I should wait for the description
    Actually, I was implying that, comparing their body structure and facial features to the human norm, the proportions would roughly match "androgynous male human", if one accounts for and thus subtracts the obvious physical differences (snout, fur, tail, etc).

30. - Top - End - #270

I want to apologize, Honest_Tiefling. I was pressed for time when I was writing that last post and it came out blunter than I intended. I do value your input and your continued assistance with this project and want to apologize for any offense I inflicted upon you.