New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Red Mountain IC: Peak Performance

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "Then we will hunt elsewhere. Da Lang's territory is vast. We can outrun a mountain." Ue tilts his head, baffled.

From behind the pack, the air splits. Separates. A band of trees and snow shift apart ever so slightly; wide as a man is tall, and at waist-height. The wolves are focused on you, and have taken no notice of this.

Would either of you care to Observe Carefully?
    "And what will you do when the ash cloud spreads? When it covers the earth for the next nine months? When the plants disappear from lack of sunlight? When man and beast alike choke on the foul air? When rocks rain down from the sky? Does Da Lang's territory extend to the isles of the sea? Because they will be the only places to support life if we fail in our task."

You're darn tootin' I'm observing that. Hopefully my blustering--accurate as it may be--will keep them from noticing my furtive glances behind them.

(2d6+1)[12]
    What is about to happen?
    What do I need to do to have advantage here?
    Hold 1.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2017-08-16 at 08:55 PM.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ettin in the Playground

"So be it."

The wolves dissolve and join the tide of mist. It rolls through the trees, cold malevolence engulfing the wood, squeezing it to cracking. But it does not come near you. The fog recoils from Dirge; any wisp that touches the bare metal is consumed. You are left in an island of bare snow, surrounded by a dark, writhing cloud. A large shadow of a wolf appears and disappears in the fog, splits and reforms, difficult to pin down. In a voice low and taut with wrath, with pain, Da Lang speaks a single accusation:

"Cub-slayer!"

Tell me. Did you lose family in the fall of Lan He?
    Lao Kai lost everything in Lan He.

Wife, child, friends, hope. Some say his humanity died there too. Lan He was only death and ruin, save for the one thing born from its ashes.

Dirge glints in the sun as Lao Kai weaves it through the frigid air.

"If she was a cub, what was your excuse for sending her against me?"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Colossus in the Playground

Sao Ri's said her bit. She stands quiet for a moment, rubbing her arms to build up warmth in case she needs to get right back into burning down everything, and waits to see if words are going to fix anything.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Lao Kai lost everything in Lan He.

Wife, child, friends, hope. Some say his humanity died there too. Lan He was only death and ruin, save for the one thing born from its ashes.

Dirge glints in the sun as Lao Kai weaves it through the frigid air.

"If she was a cub, what was your excuse for sending her against me?"
    Then surely you recognize the cry of a mother who's just lost a daughter.

“She was mine. Raised in my pack. Sheltered by my den. Strong in the hunt, with the experience of many seasons. You invaded our home. You struck her down. And you devoured her.”

“What is your excuse?!”

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    "And what will you do when the ash cloud spreads? When it covers the earth for the next nine months? When the plants disappear from lack of sunlight? When man and beast alike choke on the foul air? When rocks rain down from the sky? Does Da Lang's territory extend to the isles of the sea? Because they will be the only places to support life if we fail in our task."

You're darn tootin' I'm observing that. Hopefully my blustering--accurate as it may be--will keep them from noticing my furtive glances behind them.

[roll0]
    What is about to happen?
    What do I need to do to have advantage here?
    Hold 1.
    Ue has nothing more to offer than bemused looks. "Da Lang has not said the mountain will fall, and we trust in Da Lang. She will care and provide for us, and we should starve, then she will starve along with us." But your blustering has the intended effect; while they struggle to comprehend the scale on which you're working, none of them notice you looking past them.

At the peak of the Red Mountain is rumored to be a Gate to the spirit world. Everybody knows this. What less people know is that there are other, lesser Gates in this world. They do not lead into the Spirit World proper; rather, they lead to specific, sequestered regions of the Spirit World. Often these are the domains of particular spirits who appreciate a little privacy.

That’s what you’re seeing here. One such Gate is opening before your eyes, and now that it’s open anybody - spirit or mortal - can pass through them easy as walking.

Which leads nicely to your second question. These Gates rarely come alone. If there's a Gate into...wherever this one leads, there's bound to be another Gate out of it, somewhere on this mountain. If you and Sao Ri can get through that gate, and come out the other side, you'll be far away from here, and the wolves will be hard-pressed to pick up your scent again. Act carefully once you’re out, and you could lose them altogether.

Mind, a few wolves are bound to leap in after you before Ue can get control of the pack. But the rest will fan out over the mountain in a vain attempt to find you when you emerge. And the two of you stand much better odds against a handful of wolves as opposed to the entire pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I climb heedlessly and let the world, and Chae-Won if she is slow, fall away.

[I also think this might count as my arrogant and zealous chakra if this leads to trouble, for a Chi.]
    She's following out of curiosity, against all wisdom, which is bound to lead both of them into trouble. I think that's worth a Chi
    The two of you don’t so much lose sight of each other; rather, you simultaneously stop caring about where the other one is, and nature takes its course. For both of your contributions to getting yourselves into this mess, each of you take a point of Chi.

This is gorgeous, glorious. Truly a sight to behold and worth the joy of the climb. But I do not want the world. I never have. There are thousands of destinies out there, and I already knew that. I could try and seize them, but they are not mine and they mean nothing to me. I want my destiny, and it is Sen that I seek to get it, Sen to whom I have been guided, Sen for whom I will even betray a comrade. And though I see the whole world in its glorious beauty, I reject it, and ascend further and quicker. It is Sen and Sen alone that my eyes seek, and the faster we are to the peek the better. I climb heedlessly and let the world, and Chae-Won if she is slow, fall away.
    You climb upward, and the world below you fades away. But while the sights are gone, the sounds are not. You can hear people from all over the world, whispering your name, telling of Suikkara of the Water Tribe, she who knows the names of spirits. But as surely as you cannot see them, you know they cannot see you. Whatever destiny awaits will be done out of their sight. Your name and your deeds will not be spoken in the same breath.

There is a slight downward path you could travel, if you wished to see and be seen by them. But why would you do that? The path to your destinies lies just around the bend.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    The part of Chae-won that knew - but didn't heed - the warnings of her tribe was losing the battle to stay wary, to question everything she saw.

Hadn't she always known, felt deep in her heart, that her path did not lie where others expected or wanted her to go? And here she had followed her curiosity, gone her own way, despite all warnings, advice and expectation ... to find what she had always been looking for.

Yes, this was surely right.

With that thought, Chae-won picked up pace, walking around that bend with renewed energy and determination. Home. She was going to be home in a moment.
    As you climb closer to your true home, the vistas shift until you are looking out over the Foggy Swamp. Down below, you can make out the huts and firepits of your humble village, the place you grew up. It was not where you belonged, but it was where you were fed, where you were taught, where you were cared for when sickness laid you low. And beside your house, you can see your parents, watching the horizon anxiously.

There is a downward path you could travel, if you wished to visit them. Perhaps the last such path you’ll encounter on this climb. But why would you take that? The road home lies just around the bend.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

You climb upward, and the world below you fades away. But while the sights are gone, the sounds are not. You can hear people from all over the world, whispering your name, telling of Suikkara of the Water Tribe, she who knows the names of spirits. But as surely as you cannot see them, you know they cannot see you. Whatever destiny awaits will be done out of their sight. Your name and your deeds will not be spoken in the same breath.

There is a slight downward path you could travel, if you wished to see and be seen by them. But why would you do that? The path to your destinies lies just around the bend.
    Something feels deceptive about these paths. I am fixed on my destiny, surely, and yet it is almost too convenient. Why offer all this at all? And in such a manner. I ought to see the spirits directing this illusion, for there is without a doubt some intellect behind it. Perhaps this is a test from Sen. If so, I should consider my choice carefully and look for that which is hidden.

[Observe carefully: 5+1+1=7. What here is not as it appears to be?]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

6. - Top - End - #96

Ue has nothing more to offer than bemused looks. "Da Lang has not said the mountain will fall, and we trust in Da Lang. She will care and provide for us, and we should starve, then she will starve along with us." But your blustering has the intended effect; while they struggle to comprehend the scale on which you're working, none of them notice you looking past them.

At the peak of the Red Mountain is rumored to be a Gate to the spirit world. Everybody knows this. What less people know is that there are other, lesser Gates in this world. They do not lead into the Spirit World proper; rather, they lead to specific, sequestered regions of the Spirit World. Often these are the domains of particular spirits who appreciate a little privacy.

That’s what you’re seeing here. One such Gate is opening before your eyes, and now that it’s open anybody - spirit or mortal - can pass through them easy as walking.

Which leads nicely to your second question. These Gates rarely come alone. If there's a Gate into...wherever this one leads, there's bound to be another Gate out of it, somewhere on this mountain. If you and Sao Ri can get through that gate, and come out the other side, you'll be far away from here, and the wolves will be hard-pressed to pick up your scent again. Act carefully once you’re out, and you could lose them altogether.

Mind, a few wolves are bound to leap in after you before Ue can get control of the pack. But the rest will fan out over the mountain in a vain attempt to find you when you emerge. And the two of you stand much better odds against a handful of wolves as opposed to the entire pack.
    First off, let's spend that last hold to see "What here is not as it appears to be?" Admittedly, that's mostly out of a desire to get my money's worth out of the roll, and may not actually be relevant given what comes next. Let's also tag that Spirit Gate.

Kanno nods. "Trust in your leader is good. Helping them learn new information is better. Please tell Da Lang that I respect her and her troops, but that we must decline her dinner invite."

Then I give a broad, sweeping stomp, arms tucked close to my side. It's one of the first positions that earthbenders learn, so anyone with even an ounce of familiarity with bending will know to expect a wave of hurled rock. Right now all eyes are on me. There's no way they'll miss the movement. And while they're so busy dodging, the spikes of earth that I'm actually bending underneath them can knock them into lala-land.

Earthshaping: 4,6,+2. 12. Tag: Spike Sneak Attack!

And then it's time to grab my hammer, run like hell for the portal, and hope that the Firelord has the good sense to follow.
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Then surely you recognize the cry of a mother who's just lost a daughter.

“She was mine. Raised in my pack. Sheltered by my den. Strong in the hunt, with the experience of many seasons. You invaded our home. You struck her down. And you devoured her.”

“What is your excuse?!”
    "If she was your daughter, then I know your sorrow." replies Lao Kai "I have no quarrel with your pack, nor do I seek to usurp your home or hunting grounds."

"But I will climb this mountain. Anything that attacks me, or seeks to block my path, will meet the same fate."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

As you climb closer to your true home, the vistas shift until you are looking out over the Foggy Swamp. Down below, you can make out the huts and firepits of your humble village, the place you grew up. It was not where you belonged, but it was where you were fed, where you were taught, where you were cared for when sickness laid you low. And beside your house, you can see your parents, watching the horizon anxiously.

There is a downward path you could travel, if you wished to visit them. Perhaps the last such path you’ll encounter on this climb. But why would you take that? The road home lies just around the bend.
    Seeing the old huts and her parents, it was tempting to turn aside, to go see them one last time. But then why not another, and another, and soon that "one last time" has become "forever". Chae-won missed them, but she also knew that it wouldn't do to turn back now. Her parents worried, as parents must do, and she wished sometimes that she could go back and help them understand ... but she also knew that they would never truly understand with words alone. The only way she could help them understand was to find her place; to show them, and herself.

It was tempting, and it was hard to stay on course, but Chae-won had not come this far to turn back for nothing.

But it did feel like maybe someone, or something, was trying very hard to make her do so.

Well, she wouldn't let anyone or anything mislead her.

Chae-won continued, more determined than ever. Determined to move forward, and to get the upper hand on the situation.

9. - Top - End - #99

And then it's time to grab my hammer, run like hell for the portal, and hope that the Firelord has the good sense to follow.
    Och aye I do. Nae bain me. Even though the Firelord is a touch faster in a foot chase, though, she stays slightly behind Kanno - no sense outrunning the folk with the plan.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Something feels deceptive about these paths. I am fixed on my destiny, surely, and yet it is almost too convenient. Why offer all this at all? And in such a manner. I ought to see the spirits directing this illusion, for there is without a doubt some intellect behind it. Perhaps this is a test from Sen. If so, I should consider my choice carefully and look for that which is hidden.

[Observe carefully: 5+1+1=7. What here is not as it appears to be?]
    Would it be cheating to say “everything”?

You are no longer on the Red Mountain. You are not actually climbing closer to the peak. That path does not lead to the adoration of a generation. Behind you does not take you to where you came from.

And you are not alone here.

[Place a Tag or Environment Tag as appropriate.]

But even knowing this is all false, the moment you stop moving you are assaulted by a desire to keep climbing, and seize your destiny. Not a hard thing, for it is your own desire that has driven you this far, but now it burns in your blood and it seems nothing could quench it. If you have any desire for your name to be sung by the peoples of the world, then that desire too is awakened in force.

If you want to do anything other than walk down one of these paths, then Hold Steady first.

Seeing the old huts and her parents, it was tempting to turn aside, to go see them one last time. But then why not another, and another, and soon that "one last time" has become "forever". Chae-won missed them, but she also knew that it wouldn't do to turn back now. Her parents worried, as parents must do, and she wished sometimes that she could go back and help them understand ... but she also knew that they would never truly understand with words alone. The only way she could help them understand was to find her place; to show them, and herself.

It was tempting, and it was hard to stay on course, but Chae-won had not come this far to turn back for nothing.

But it did feel like maybe someone, or something, was trying very hard to make her do so.

Well, she wouldn't let anyone or anything mislead her.

Chae-won continued, more determined than ever. Determined to move forward, and to get the upper hand on the situation.
    It happens like a dream; one moment you are at this crossroads, and the next you are at another, and though you can’t recall how you got here nothing about this seems altogether too surprising. Forward, the pull of your true home. But down the mountain, you see a familiar Firebender walking the paths below. The very same fellow you once traveled with, when you first tackled this mountain. He is unaware of your presence, unaware of little else than the road before him; isn’t that just like him? Ignoring whoever else may be beside him in favor of his own dream. Is he just as despicable as you remember, or has he somehow grown more vile?

There is a downward path you could travel, if you wished to visit all manner of vengeance upon him. But why would you do that? The road home lies just around the bend.

"If she was your daughter, then I know your sorrow." replies Lao Kai "I have no quarrel with your pack, nor do I seek to usurp your home or hunting grounds."

"But I will climb this mountain. Anything that attacks me, or seeks to block my path, will meet the same fate."
    There is an updraft of wind as you hear her sniffing at you.

“Liar!” She barks. “I smell a hunger in you, human. You have consumed countless lives and spirits, and still it is not satisfied. Will one more be enough to slake it?! No! You will devour the Avatar, you will devour this mountain, you will devour my cubs, you will feast and eat and the world will be empty but for the gnawing in your heart!”

The fog around you lights up with the flashing of a hundred fangs, barring your way.

First off, let's spend that last hold to see "What here is not as it appears to be?" Admittedly, that's mostly out of a desire to get my money's worth out of the roll, and may not actually be relevant given what comes next. Let's also tag that Spirit Gate.
    A good thought. You need all the help you can get, for you are not as lucky as you seem.

It would be all too easy to count this as a stroke of good fortune, stoked by your own cunning. You were on the losing side of a stalemate, when an opportunity for victory presented itself, and you took full advantage of it. But these Spirit Gates do not open without cause. Something caused this one to open. Or, perhaps I should say someone.

You climb the Red Mountain, seeking the domain of Sel the Gatekeeper, and a Gate has opened at just the right moment to ensure you continue upward.

You do the math.

Kanno nods. "Trust in your leader is good. Helping them learn new information is better. Please tell Da Lang that I respect her and her troops, but that we must decline her dinner invite."

Then I give a broad, sweeping stomp, arms tucked close to my side. It's one of the first positions that earthbenders learn, so anyone with even an ounce of familiarity with bending will know to expect a wave of hurled rock. Right now all eyes are on me. There's no way they'll miss the movement. And while they're so busy dodging, the spikes of earth that I'm actually bending underneath them can knock them into lala-land.

Earthshaping: 4,6,+2. 12. Tag: Spike Sneak Attack!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Och aye I do. Nae bain me. Even though the Firelord is a touch faster in a foot chase, though, she stays slightly behind Kanno - no sense outrunning the folk with the plan.
    The wolves fly out of your way with a chorus of undignified boofs. Ue - tumbling bum over teakettle in the snow - cries for his pack to stop you. But for a moment, no one stands between you and the Gate.

The way is clear, and you need only Move With Intention to take it.

[A friendly reminder: There are ample Tags present to take advantage of, and both of you have Chi to spend if you wish to.]

11. - Top - End - #101

The wolves fly out of your way with a chorus of undignified boofs. Ue - tumbling bum over teakettle in the snow - cries for his pack to stop you. But for a moment, no one stands between you and the Gate.

[A friendly reminder: There are ample Tags present to take advantage of, and both of you have Chi to spend if you wish to.]
    Sao Ri doesn't really trust in the spirit portal to stop spirit wolves from following her through the gate. So as she reaches the stonework she takes a deep breath to detonate the portal thoroughly and violently as she passes through - trusting in the Look-Not-At-Explosions Kata to shield her from injury.

[Move With Intention: 6, volatile and explosive may trigger.]

12. - Top - End - #102

Kanno dashes for the gate, hammer in hand. On the cusp of passing through though, she turns, and offers one more parting bit of earthbending to slam more rocks into the wolves. No real point in doing so, but darnit, these wolves are going to learn not to mess with me.

(If that causes trouble, I'd argue that's worth a chi for vengeful, but forgiving.)

(Move with intention: 6. Hooboy, we're in trouble.)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

I'm marking the environment around Suikkara as "illusory." I imagine that might come up. I'm going to attempt to Stand Fast, which is what I imagine you meant with hold steady. 4+1+0=5. And Suikkarra will not succeed at it, alas. Let's see where she goes.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

There is an updraft of wind as you hear her sniffing at you.

“Liar!” She barks. “I smell a hunger in you, human. You have consumed countless lives and spirits, and still it is not satisfied. Will one more be enough to slake it?! No! You will devour the Avatar, you will devour this mountain, you will devour my cubs, you will feast and eat and the world will be empty but for the gnawing in your heart!”

The fog around you lights up with the flashing of a hundred fangs, barring your way.
    "So be it." replies Lao Kai, flashing a rare smile.

"Dirge hungers."

And with that, he leapt. Higher than one would have thought possible. Over Da Lang's head and into the midst of her pack. He would see whether they were so quick to attack when their own numbers got in their way.

Moving with intention: (2d6+1)[8]

Tagging Da Lang with "Disorientated" as she tries to target him.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

I'm marking the environment around Suikkara as "illusory." I imagine that might come up. I'm going to attempt to Stand Fast, which is what I imagine you meant with hold steady. 4+1+0=5. And Suikkarra will not succeed at it, alas. Let's see where she goes.
    You do have a tag you can make use of now. If you like, you can spend a point of Chi to upgrade to a 7-9 result.

Either way, which path tempts you the greatest? Which one would you choose, if you could only pick one?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

You do have a tag you can make use of now. If you like, you can spend a point of Chi to upgrade to a 7-9 result.

Either way, which path tempts you the greatest? Which one would you choose, if you could only pick one?
    Oh, no no, I'd much rather gain a point of Chi here than lose one. Much better to see what happens. If I must choose, it is the path upward to destiny. The praise of the world if meaningless without just and upright action to justify it.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

It happens like a dream; one moment you are at this crossroads, and the next you are at another, and though you can’t recall how you got here nothing about this seems altogether too surprising. Forward, the pull of your true home. But down the mountain, you see a familiar Firebender walking the paths below. The very same fellow you once traveled with, when you first tackled this mountain. He is unaware of your presence, unaware of little else than the road before him; isn’t that just like him? Ignoring whoever else may be beside him in favor of his own dream. Is he just as despicable as you remember, or has he somehow grown more vile?

There is a downward path you could travel, if you wished to visit all manner of vengeance upon him. But why would you do that? The road home lies just around the bend.
    No, Chae-won cannot let that vile betrayer go on his merry way unchallenged. She would find no peace anywhere, be it home or not, knowing that he was still alive and free out there. He must be made to pay for what he did.

Chae-won, tempestuous and vindictive, turns and heads down the path of vengeance.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

"So be it." replies Lao Kai, flashing a rare smile.

"Dirge hungers."

And with that, he leapt. Higher than one would have thought possible. Over Da Lang's head and into the midst of her pack. He would see whether they were so quick to attack when their own numbers got in their way.

Moving with intention: [roll0]

Tagging Da Lang with "Disorientated" as she tries to target him.
    As any seasoned veteran knows, a larger force is not always an advantage. What it has in overwhelming numbers, it lacks in maneuverability, a fact you neatly exploit with your sudden leap.

Da Lang howls in anger, jaws snap around you as wolves struggle to bring themselves to bear while keeping clear of that dangerous blade. Roll to Stand Fast against the tide.

Oh, no no, I'd much rather gain a point of Chi here than lose one. Much better to see what happens. If I must choose, it is the path upward to destiny. The praise of the world if meaningless without just and upright action to justify it.
    The temptation is too great. No matter how you may command them, your feet are not listening to you. As you are forced up the path, the struggles of this journey weigh heavy on your body. How long have you been climbing? When did you last rest? What of the good things you left behind? Take the minor tag Drained.

However, though your feet are in open revolt, your mind is still your own. You have gained a valuable insight into this place, and now you see yet another crossroads approaching.

What do you do?

No, Chae-won cannot let that vile betrayer go on his merry way unchallenged. She would find no peace anywhere, be it home or not, knowing that he was still alive and free out there. He must be made to pay for what he did.

Chae-won, tempestuous and vindictive, turns and heads down the path of vengeance.
    Every step down is one step further from home. Each tree you pass feels less familiar than the last, until the land resembles all that you’ve ever known; just another place you don’t belong. But below you-

“Help!”

Ahem. I said, below you-

“Help!”

Oh very well then.

Crossroads. Below you, the object of your hatred, threatening to escape justice forever. Nearly about to spend the rest of his life a free man if you don’t do something. To the side, a voice calls for aid.

What do you do?

Sao Ri doesn't really trust in the spirit portal to stop spirit wolves from following her through the gate. So as she reaches the stonework she takes a deep breath to detonate the portal thoroughly and violently as she passes through - trusting in the Look-Not-At-Explosions Kata to shield her from injury.

[Move With Intention: 6, volatile and explosive may trigger.]
    Kanno dashes for the gate, hammer in hand. On the cusp of passing through though, she turns, and offers one more parting bit of earthbending to slam more rocks into the wolves. No real point in doing so, but darnit, these wolves are going to learn not to mess with me.

(If that causes trouble, I'd argue that's worth a chi for vengeful, but forgiving.)

(Move with intention: 6. Hooboy, we're in trouble.)
    [Both of you, a point of Chi for a < 6 roll. And a point of Chi for sticking to your Chakras.]

You let loose with a mighty blast of fire and earth behind you, and leap through the portal. The explosion sounds much more muffled than you might’ve expected, nor do you feel the backblast...

The two of you land on packed earth. The sky above you is a misty shroud. As you pick yourself up, Sao Ri, you come to realize you are standing in a familiar place. Solid earth, marked out into a grid of squares. Bowls filled with fire standing on the corners. Two painted lines, on either end of the field.

It is an arena for an Agni Kai.

But this arena is surrounded by a wall of mirrors, all facing inward, tall enough to block your sight outside this place. On the far end of the field, you see the ghost of Firelord Sao Fa standing where Sao Ri’s reflection ought to be. All around him, the fireblast she loosed rages on, but doesn’t die. It closes in around him, the fire compressing into a white-hot, human form. A form that now wears her face.

“Perhaps ah didn’t teach ye enoof, daughter.”

The fire-spirit steps out of the mirror, and takes a knee at the opposite end of the arena.

“It’s time ta fix that.”

What do you do?

19. - Top - End - #109

But this arena is surrounded by a wall of mirrors, all facing inward, tall enough to block your sight outside this place. On the far end of the field, you see the ghost of Firelord Sao Fa standing where Sao Ri’s reflection ought to be. All around him, the fireblast she loosed rages on, but doesn’t die. It closes in around him, the fire compressing into a white-hot, human form. A form that now wears her face.

“Perhaps ah didn’t teach ye enoof, daughter.”

The fire-spirit steps out of the mirror, and takes a knee at the opposite end of the arena.

“It’s time ta fix that.”

What do you do?
    "Och aye, perhaps it's now dawning on ye? Perhaps just now it's coming into yer mighty noggin that ye did an insufficient job?" said Sao Ri, fingers patiently clawing through the dirt until they come to rest around the hilt of her sword. "Did ye come up with that on your ownsome?" she said as she got to her feet and unclasped her cloak. "What, no joke? Because you certainly took the time to teach me plenty of those in between yer bloody feasting."

The sword went forward, back, shoulder - a striking stance. Her body knew the motions. She was undefeated in the Agni Kai ring.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

The temptation is too great. No matter how you may command them, your feet are not listening to you. As you are forced up the path, the struggles of this journey weigh heavy on your body. How long have you been climbing? When did you last rest? What of the good things you left behind? Take the minor tag Drained.

However, though your feet are in open revolt, your mind is still your own. You have gained a valuable insight into this place, and now you see yet another crossroads approaching.

What do you do?
    I stop, if I am able and allow my feet to go where they will if I am not. I am sore and the land is a lie. I close my eyes that I am not looking into such a lie any longer. I hum above the sound of snow. A light, haunting melody, a call to the dancing spirits. And I meditate.

4+1+1=6.

Well, I try to meditate, perhaps it wasn't so wise to close my eyes while walking a mountain.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

As any seasoned veteran knows, a larger force is not always an advantage. What it has in overwhelming numbers, it lacks in maneuverability, a fact you neatly exploit with your sudden leap.

Da Lang howls in anger, jaws snap around you as wolves struggle to bring themselves to bear while keeping clear of that dangerous blade. Roll to Stand Fast against the tide.
    Teeth and claws flash as Lao Kai fends them off with his own.

(2d6+1)[11]

22. - Top - End - #112

You let loose with a mighty blast of fire and earth behind you, and leap through the portal. The explosion sounds much more muffled than you might’ve expected, nor do you feel the backblast...

The two of you land on packed earth. The sky above you is a misty shroud. As you pick yourself up, Sao Ri, you come to realize you are standing in a familiar place. Solid earth, marked out into a grid of squares. Bowls filled with fire standing on the corners. Two painted lines, on either end of the field.

It is an arena for an Agni Kai.
    Am I in the same area, or did I get spit out somewhere different? Either way, I'm dropping into a defensive stance, and scanning the area to see what fresh hell we've landed in. The gatekeeper wants to play games with us, and that's okay. Doesn't mean I'm going to make things easy for it.

[Observe Carefully. 3,1,+1. I'm going to spend a chi to upgrade that to a partial success, and ask what I should be watching for.]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Every step down is one step further from home. Each tree you pass feels less familiar than the last, until the land resembles all that you’ve ever known; just another place you don’t belong. But below you-

“Help!”

Ahem. I said, below you-

“Help!”

Oh very well then.

Crossroads. Below you, the object of your hatred, threatening to escape justice forever. Nearly about to spend the rest of his life a free man if you don’t do something. To the side, a voice calls for aid.

What do you do?
    What was this endless side tracking? Chae-won was starting to feel like she was being led down an endless path of endless choices, so that she'd never reach any of her chosen goals regardless of which one she chose, and she was having none of it any longer. Water only flowed one way - down, following whichever path was lower - but Chae-won had never been very good at doing that so that sometimes, when presented with two paths - one low, one high - she'd instead decide to follow the path right down the middle of the two instead, or turn around entirely.

Chae-won stopped and stomped her feet into the ground and yelled at the air. "Stop distracting me from my chosen path, or so help me, I'll turn right around and take none of them. Don't make me come after you, whoever is making these incessant choices! I'll rip you right down the middle and make you choose which half you want to keep, then I'll rip that half in half and repeat the question until you'd rather have nothing at all!"

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Am I in the same area, or did I get spit out somewhere different? Either way, I'm dropping into a defensive stance, and scanning the area to see what fresh hell we've landed in. The gatekeeper wants to play games with us, and that's okay. Doesn't mean I'm going to make things easy for it.

[Observe Carefully. 3,1,+1. I'm going to spend a chi to upgrade that to a partial success, and ask what I should be watching for.]
    Yes, you've landed right next to Sao Ri. You are in the same area she is, seeing what she is seeing.

If you join this fight, then you're going to need to watch your feet. This is a place of reflections, and joining the fight will give your opponent the ability to call forth lava plumes from the earth. Which it will then use to keep you contained and out of this fight. It really wants to duel Sao Ri, not you.

But this is only if you fight. If you're taking a different course of action, then I will tell you what you need to watch for there.

"Och aye, perhaps it's now dawning on ye? Perhaps just now it's coming into yer mighty noggin that ye did an insufficient job?" said Sao Ri, fingers patiently clawing through the dirt until they come to rest around the hilt of her sword. "Did ye come up with that on your ownsome?" she said as she got to her feet and unclasped her cloak. "What, no joke? Because you certainly took the time to teach me plenty of those in between yer bloody feasting."

The sword went forward, back, shoulder - a striking stance. Her body knew the motions. She was undefeated in the Agni Kai ring.
    Your fiery reflection mirrors your stance perfectly.

Your opponent has a body of fire, the will of the greatest Firebender in recent history, and possesses knowledge of all your techniques.

This is not going to be an easy fight.

[The reflection of Sao Ri has the following moves:

Body of Fire: This spirit cannot be Tagged by being burned by fire.

Perfect Reflection: This spirit knows your moves, and can counter them easily. It must be surprised with something new or truly unexpected - and marked with a relevant Tag - before it can receive any other Tags.]

Sao Ri, Kanno is taking up a defensive stance next to you, as if she intends to fight alongside you in this duel. Your opponent looks on, clearly judging you for this.

What do you do?

Teeth and claws flash as Lao Kai fends them off with his own.

[roll0]
    The icy fog surges over Lao Kai, striving to bury him in biting cold. The light vanishes, sky and setting sun stolen away, but Dirge devours even the darkness. Your blade sings as it meets tooth and claw, pulsing otherwordly colors with each strike. The pack of Da Lang - mother of wolves, queen of the hunt, voice of the winter night - finds itself thrown back by the ferocity of your defense, and the world reappears as Dirge cuts the fog to ribbons.

The wolves regroup. Quite literally, I'm afraid. They dash into each other, forming themselves larger and larger until the pack of many transforms into three massive wolves. Perhaps where sheer numbers failed, raw strength can win the day?

What do you do?

I stop, if I am able and allow my feet to go where they will if I am not. I am sore and the land is a lie. I close my eyes that I am not looking into such a lie any longer. I hum above the sound of snow. A light, haunting melody, a call to the dancing spirits. And I meditate.

4+1+1=6.

Well, I try to meditate, perhaps it wasn't so wise to close my eyes while walking a mountain.
    [I must ask for due diligence before hurling you off an illusory mountain; would you like to spend a point of Chi?]

What was this endless side tracking? Chae-won was starting to feel like she was being led down an endless path of endless choices, so that she'd never reach any of her chosen goals regardless of which one she chose, and she was having none of it any longer. Water only flowed one way - down, following whichever path was lower - but Chae-won had never been very good at doing that so that sometimes, when presented with two paths - one low, one high - she'd instead decide to follow the path right down the middle of the two instead, or turn around entirely.

Chae-won stopped and stomped her feet into the ground and yelled at the air. "Stop distracting me from my chosen path, or so help me, I'll turn right around and take none of them. Don't make me come after you, whoever is making these incessant choices! I'll rip you right down the middle and make you choose which half you want to keep, then I'll rip that half in half and repeat the question until you'd rather have nothing at all!"
    As with Suikkara, the moment you stop, you feel your own desires surge within you until the urge to take a path becomes almost unbearable. Roll to Stand Fast, tell me which path you would pick if you had to choose, and we'll see what happens.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

[I must ask for due diligence before hurling you off an illusory mountain; would you like to spend a point of Chi?]
    [Fiiiine. I'll spend a point of Chi and take advantage of the illusory terrain to ensure that Suikkara does not fall to her doom. You'll just have to tell me something about the scene now.]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #116

Your fiery reflection mirrors your stance perfectly.

Your opponent has a body of fire, the will of the greatest Firebender in recent history, and possesses knowledge of all your techniques.

This is not going to be an easy fight.

[The reflection of Sao Ri has the following moves:

Body of Fire: This spirit cannot be Tagged by being burned by fire.

Perfect Reflection: This spirit knows your moves, and can counter them easily. It must be surprised with something new or truly unexpected - and marked with a relevant Tag - before it can receive any other Tags.]

Sao Ri, Kanno is taking up a defensive stance next to you, as if she intends to fight alongside you in this duel. Your opponent looks on, clearly judging you for this.

What do you do?
    Oh, aye then? I'm not going to stop Kanno. I even give the bloody spirit a smirk and bite my thumb at him. Why would I engage him in an honourable duel? The whole point of this bloody thing is that I don't respect him, and he doesn't respect me. There's only one thing in all the world that'd win his respect and that's me putting the Fire Nation's face in the dirt below my boot - where it belongs.

"Listen up you groaning bloody cadaver," I say, not shifting from my casual ready stance. I'm taking cue of his stance as I do. Typical he'd steal my form - Sao Fa was never much of a duelist. "I am the Firelord and I do not accept the challenges of those below my station," I let my sword drop into the sand and pick out my bow. "So if you come at me here I'm going to dispatch you like a bloody bandit."

I let the smirk grow a little as I nock the bow. I'm pretty sure I never got reliable at dodging arrows.

"Unless, maybe Sao Fa wants to drop the bloody house of mirrors clownshoe garbage and face me like a man? Then I might consider a fair fight."

[Act Dishonourably: I want Sao Fa to face me directly without the mirror opposite thing, or else I'm going to shoot him through with arrows with Kanno's help. Roll: 9]
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2017-09-20 at 09:44 PM. Reason: removed five 'bloodies'

27. - Top - End - #117

I'm honestly kinda shocked right now. Given how prone the firelord is to solving her problems with violence, I thought she'd take this one more seriously, and I raise an eyebrow disapprovingly. So while Sao Ri is holding a bow on her fiery counterpart, I stand up straighter and drop my fists. I'll defend myself if attacked, but I see no reason to meddle in what is obviously a Fire Nation affair.

Instead, I'm looking at those mirrors more closely, trying to listen for the telltale song of metal. Are these mirrors like modern mirrors--glass, with a silver lining on the back--or made of a pure, burnished metal like bronze or silver?
    Last edited by Balmas; 2017-09-20 at 10:10 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

As with Suikkara, the moment you stop, you feel your own desires surge within you until the urge to take a path becomes almost unbearable. Roll to Stand Fast, tell me which path you would pick if you had to choose, and we'll see what happens.
    Stand Fast: 3+6-1 = 8

If she had to choose, Chae-won would go for the call for help. She's a healer, even if it doesn't come very natural to her, and if she abandons people to their doom in the mountain she's no better than the jerk she'd love to pay back, and that would be a moral victory for him, something she cannot countenance.

But she's not sure she really believes either path is real, and she won't be going anywhere without a bloody riot.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

The icy fog surges over Lao Kai, striving to bury him in biting cold. The light vanishes, sky and setting sun stolen away, but Dirge devours even the darkness. Your blade sings as it meets tooth and claw, pulsing otherwordly colors with each strike. The pack of Da Lang - mother of wolves, queen of the hunt, voice of the winter night - finds itself thrown back by the ferocity of your defense, and the world reappears as Dirge cuts the fog to ribbons.

The wolves regroup. Quite literally, I'm afraid. They dash into each other, forming themselves larger and larger until the pack of many transforms into three massive wolves. Perhaps where sheer numbers failed, raw strength can win the day?

What do you do?
    Lao Kai deals with it in a typically direct manner - striking for the head.

Dirge flashes through the fog as he strikes at Da Lang. No warning, no mercy.

[Committing open violence]

(2d6+2)[8]

[Tagging Da Lang with "Mortally Wounded"]

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Lao Kai deals with it in a typically direct manner - striking for the head.

Dirge flashes through the fog as he strikes at Da Lang. No warning, no mercy.

[Committing open violence]

[roll0]

[Tagging Da Lang with "Mortally Wounded"]
    I’m sorry, I think I described the scene poorly. Let me make sure you have all the information available to you.

There are three gigantic wolves forming. They are the only other creatures/spirits standing here. If one, all, or none of them are Da Lang, you don’t know. You can commit open violence against one of them if you’d like with that roll, or you can make a different move if you wish. Apologies if I wasn’t clear.

[Fiiiine. I'll spend a point of Chi and take advantage of the illusory terrain to ensure that Suikkara does not fall to her doom. You'll just have to tell me something about the scene now.]
    Discontent.

That is the essence of this place.

Always moving. Ever sacrificing. Never stopping. Never filled.

Discontent has sapped you of your strength, and it is Discontent that will be the death of you here.

Stand Fast: 3+6-1 = 8

If she had to choose, Chae-won would go for the call for help. She's a healer, even if it doesn't come very natural to her, and if she abandons people to their doom in the mountain she's no better than the jerk she'd love to pay back, and that would be a moral victory for him, something she cannot countenance.

But she's not sure she really believes either path is real, and she won't be going anywhere without a bloody riot.
    You are able to stand your ground, and may say your piece - and do whatever else you will - but the voice crying for help is suddenly cut off.

Oh, aye then? I'm not going to stop Kanno. I even give the bloody spirit a smirk and bite my thumb at him. Why would I engage him in an honourable duel? The whole point of this bloody thing is that I don't respect him, and he doesn't respect me. There's only one thing in all the world that'd win his respect and that's me putting the Fire Nation's face in the dirt below my boot - where it belongs.

"Listen up you groaning bloody cadaver," I say, not shifting from my casual ready stance. I'm taking cue of his stance as I do. Typical he'd steal my form - Sao Fa was never much of a duelist. "I am the Firelord and I do not accept the challenges of those below my station," I let my sword drop into the sand and pick out my bow. "So if you come at me here I'm going to dispatch you like a bloody bandit."

I let the smirk grow a little as I nock the bow. I'm pretty sure I never got reliable at dodging arrows.

"Unless, maybe Sao Fa wants to drop the bloody house of mirrors clownshoe garbage and face me like a man? Then I might consider a fair fight."

[Act Dishonourably: I want Sao Fa to face me directly without the mirror opposite thing, or else I'm going to shoot him through with arrows with Kanno's help. Roll: 9]
    Before we continue, can you tell me a little more about the tradition of Agni Kai in your time? In the time of Aang, they are fire duels; a test of firebending prowess between two warriors, armed only with their flames. Combatants rarely sought to kill their opponents, but the loser would be put to the mercy of the victor. Scars of shame were common, and those choosing not to mark their defeated opponent were sometimes viewed as weak, or lacking in guts.

However, this is many many centuries before that time, and we are talking about the root of a tradition. Tell me more about it; the rules of the fight, the expectations for the combatants, the customs surrounding it, etc.

I'm honestly kinda shocked right now. Given how prone the firelord is to solving her problems with violence, I thought she'd take this one more seriously, and I raise an eyebrow disapprovingly. So while Sao Ri is holding a bow on her fiery counterpart, I stand up straighter and drop my fists. I'll defend myself if attacked, but I see no reason to meddle in what is obviously a Fire Nation affair.
    The ground beneath your feet cools. Just enough to be noticeable.

Instead, I'm looking at those mirrors more closely, trying to listen for the telltale song of metal. Are these mirrors like modern mirrors--glass, with a silver lining on the back--or made of a pure, burnished metal like bronze or silver?
    Metal-backed mirrors, certainly. But grander and stranger than anything you’ve seen. If you got on Sao Ri’s shoulders - which would be an impressive feat in and of itself - you wouldn’t be able to see above them. Their frames are all one, continuous piece, rather than several frames pushed together. They’re carved with stunningly fine detailwork, and each appears to be an exact copy of all the others...probably? It’s difficult to tell. As you look between one frame and the next, you find it devilishly difficult to keep your place. You think you spot a difference, only to come back to the first frame and find it matches the second, but then return to the second and can no longer find the troublesome bit of carving that aroused your suspicion in the first place, and to go further is to tread the path of madness.

Also, one time, when you pass across the mirrors, you see your reflection stare dead back at you, huff angrily, and a glow like a forge fire radiates from within its nostrils. When you look a second time, all is as it should be.