New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Grubs suddenly in the kitchen.

So at the house I'm staying with, there's been a sudden surge in grubs in the kitchen(from "none" to "oh divines no") without any source I can track down. How... how do I handle this? The owner has been away a week and I have a HUGE fear of grubs and wormlike things that basically breaks me(enough that seeing one a few inches from my feet made me actually scream in terror).
    They're white and about an inch long, skinny, and move oddly fast.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Grubs suddenly in the kitchen.

Sounds like you have moths!

You'll probably need to throw out pretty much anything that hasn't been either in the fridge or an airtight container. Bread and grain products are the most likely culprits, but things like pasta or herbs can also harbor eggs. I'd advise getting some of those containers with the little button you press down to seal.

Wash pretty much all the containers you have thoroughly. You'll also want to give the kitchen a thorough cleaning. You can get moth traps to catch adult moths and hopefully prevent them from breeding and laying eggs. Obviously, trying to keep flying creatures from entering also helps.

If you need to and can afford it, an exterminator might not be a bad idea.
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Sadly, I have a bit of a lack of money, hence why I'm living with a relative.
    It was only like a half dozen a saw, so maybe some controllable? I am worried though. we have a TON of food not in a container.
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-06-12 at 06:04 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Sadly, I have a bit of a lack of money, hence why I'm living with a relative.
    It was only like a half dozen a saw, so maybe some controllable? I am worried though. we have a TON of food not in a container.
    If nothing else, put EVERYTHING that's not in an airtight container into one, now. The trouble is that the fact that you're seeing larvae means you have eggs. You'll want to monitor that stuff for about a month.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarKitty View Post
    Sounds like you have moths!
    I've seen this before, so I'm going to agree with Warkitty. Unless you found them in a very unusual space, they're something called pantry moths.

Sugar and sweet things like cereal can also be culprits for moths. I've also unfortunately found these things in dog treats. Anything with protein/carbs/sugars should be a suspect.

The only way to control an infestation is to throw out anything infected. Their eggs are hard to spot, so you'll be looking for suspicious holes, a bit of webbing and weird dust at the bottom of a product. Don't toss it in the garbage! Go out and toss it into the streetside garbage, so the moths aren't attracted to your trash can. And make sure to wipe down as many surfaces as you can! It'll get the eggs out of cracks and crevices and is just a good idea to do anyway.

Getting cheaper containers is a good idea. Cheap things from Ikea won't be great (I don't believe the cheaper lines are 100% air tight), but its an improvement. If you must, use two ziploc baggies. The freezer kind, not the sandwich kind.

EDIT: Also, move things off of the counter to make sure there aren't any hiding behind objects. Not pleasant, I know.

Here's a link to a wiki-how article, if that helps? Probably easier to explain to relatives you read it on there then talked to internet strangers.
    Last edited by Honest Tiefling; 2017-06-12 at 06:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

If nothing else, put EVERYTHING that's not in an airtight container into one, now. The trouble is that the fact that you're seeing larvae means you have eggs. You'll want to monitor that stuff for about a month.
    This, exactly.

The little sods can bore clean through regular food packaging, including cardboard, paper and even plastic wrapping. If you have unopened packets of dried pasta, for instance - check the packaging closely for tiny holes. If you find any, throw it out. If none, then it's time to put it in an airtight container.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, anything you throw away that isn't completely sealed goes in the outdoor trash, not the kitchen trash.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I first read the topic as "Grub suddenly in the kitchen!". Ok, ready to eat!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Is there any possibility of this being perceived as "your fault" since it happened while the owner's away? People tend to take a dim view of coming back from a trip to find their house infested with bugs.

It might be gross, but if possible, use the internet to figure out what kind of bugs you have. Once you know the lifecycle, you've got a better idea of when it started (if you can show your landlord the problem must have started while they were home maybe they won't be as mad?) and how long you'll need to be vigilant. Depending on how bad your fear is, you may have issues dealing with the problem now so it doesn't get worse later... but if you don't deal with the problem now, it WILL get worse later.

Can you keep it together long enough to get a picture or two of the grubs with a phone or similar? Or can you not even look at pictures? That way you've got a reference without needing a live grub on-hand to look at.

In any case, Warkitty's first post is the way to go. You can do the "bag everything and sort it out later" thing, but not only does this use a ton of bags, you get to play the "which food items have sprouted grubs" game later. I don't know how thoroughly you've checked, but if initial searches don't reveal anything, look behind/under appliances.

Also, while you're getting rid of open containers of food, don't ignore closed containers. One shelf at a time, clear EVERYTHING off to make sure you don't miss anything. Then clean the shelf and all container surfaces- bleach is preferable if it won't ruin the shelf -before you put the closed containers back.

Alternatively, draw a rough layout of the kitchen from an overhead view and map out the locations you've encountered grubs. If there is any kind of pattern, target that area first. If you find the source of the grubs (which will be gross... but once you've freaked out about it, try to calm down and realize this is your chance to end the problem!), you may not need to be as draconian about throwing away food stored in other cabinets, at least. The risk in doing so is that you miss a source and have to put up with the problem for longer.
    This signature is no longer incredibly out of date, but it is still irrelevant.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

And hey, if it makes you feel any better: I once found termites in a kitchen. With my putty knife. Not a fun experience and way worse then pantry moths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

A few issues: not many/any bags/containers, and I can't really afford much of anything right now. There is no outside trash since we live out in the country. And most of the food fits the "toss it" category if it is pantry moths.
    I could attempt pictures maybe. But my fear might kick in too easily(pictures of anything worm or grub like are hard for me not to panic at when i see them).
    There seemed to be a definite source; the lip of the counter, right below the sink. I know it had some major leaking issues a few months ago.
    Oddest part about the grubs; they looked almost like super stretched out(long and skinny) cones. also only on the floor have I seen them.
    Not sure if this helps any, but maybe it narrows stuff down?
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-06-12 at 07:19 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you know anyone in the area that you could call over for help and get a good picture? It's probably best if you can take pictures so people can identify what exactly the bug is. Pantry moths tend to have reddish heads.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

A few issues: not many/any bags/containers, and I can't really afford much of anything right now. There is no outside trash since we live out in the country. And most of the food fits the "toss it" category if it is pantry moths.
    I could attempt pictures maybe. But my fear might kick in too easily(pictures of anything worm or grub like are hard for me not to panic at when i see them).
    There seemed to be a definite source; the lip of the counter, right below the sink. I know it had some major leaking issues a few months ago.
    Oddest part about the grubs; they looked almost like super stretched out(long and skinny) cones. also only on the floor have I seen them.
    Not sure if this helps any, but maybe it narrows stuff down?
    Before focusing on the food, I'd check in, under and around the sink then. If the lip of the counter has a channel running under it, check along that channel.

What are you doing with the ones you're already finding? Can you get over your fear long enough to kill them?
    Last edited by Icewraith; 2017-06-12 at 07:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've yet to have a grub problem, but I recommend keeping basically all pantry foods in canning jars as a way to keep insects out of them generally. Sugar ants can't seem to find a way in to sealed canning jars, and I've found them in a wide variety of other quasi-sealed containers, so they may also keep out moths.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

I discovered in a fairly horrifying manner that pantry moths like to feed on nuts and chocolate. I suggest you look carefully for small brown grains and webbing before you dig into foil- and paper-wrapped chocolates.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sorry, I honestly think this is the time where it's not worth it and you should burn everything from a distance.

(I have an phobia. Just writing some certain words makes me sick. If I'm in your situation I, a grown man of 30 years old, will literally bawl like a baby, before burning everything to the ground. Or at least call something, someone, anyting, and have them deal with it. I don't know how you "deal" with this kind of htings and I don't want to know. Then I'll rent a room in a sterile hospital for a while.)
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

You really have the worst luck with insects, huh?

Pantry moths sound nasty. I used to live in a place infested with clothes moths, but that wasn't so bad because they didn't get in the food and their larvae tended to hide out of sight. Plus that place was also infested with spiders, which were able to keep the moths under control, so I just let them all be (my cat kept the spiders under control). It was kind of cool, because it meant i got free pest control and free, year-round Hallowe'en decorations!
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Oneris View Post
    I discovered in a fairly horrifying manner that pantry moths like to feed on nuts and chocolate. I suggest you look carefully for small brown grains and webbing before you dig into foil- and paper-wrapped chocolates.
    Did you eat it

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You really have the worst luck with insects, huh?

Pantry moths sound nasty. I used to live in a place infested with clothes moths, but that wasn't so bad because they didn't get in the food and their larvae tended to hide out of sight. Plus that place was also infested with spiders, which were able to keep the moths under control, so I just let them all be (my cat kept the spiders under control). It was kind of cool, because it meant i got free pest control and free, year-round Hallowe'en decorations!
    You do need to be careful with this kind of reasoning. Before you know it, you're trying to import rhinos to deal with the bears to deal with the dogs to deal with the cats to deal with the spiders to deal with the moths.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Oddly, I seem to have been able to control them... haven't seen even one in hours.
    I am sort of beginning to wonder if I misidentified them./ Like, they never went after any food. Only clustering around water damaged wood. I know the person I lived with did say there was a problem with "powderpost beetles" or something. Some kind of beetle/beetle larva that feasts on wood.
    Maybe that is what I've encountered?
    Last edited by Togath; 2017-06-13 at 05:49 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Oddly, I seem to have been able to control them... haven't seen even one in hours.
    I am sort of beginning to wonder if I misidentified them./ Like, they never went after any food. Only clustering around water damaged wood. I know the person I lived with did say there was a problem with "powderpost beetles" or something. Some kind of beetle/beetle larva that feasts on wood.
    Maybe that is what I've encountered?
    Hmm...well, powderpost beetles are kind of fat white grubs that seem to be a bit bigger around one end than the other. They usually feed on wood.

Pantry moths are kind of long thin grubs with a dark or reddish head, usually found on grain products or sweets.

Hopefully you have the powderpost kind - they're not fun but not as bad as pantry moths.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Icewraith View Post
    You do need to be careful with this kind of reasoning. Before you know it, you're trying to import rhinos to deal with the bears to deal with the dogs to deal with the cats to deal with the spiders to deal with the moths.
    That sounds awesome. We absolutely need to start importing bears immediately, then get to work on the rhinos.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

23. - Top - End - #23
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Reminds me of this old tune: Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Hopefully you have the powderpost kind - they're not fun but not as bad as pantry moths.
    That's what you'd call a 'woodworm', right? More of a problem for the house owner than the OP, as long as they stay out of sight.

RE bears and rhinos: the cat population isn't going to get out of control, because she's been spayed.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyNoNose View Post
    I first read the topic as "Grub suddenly in the kitchen!". Ok, ready to eat!
    You're not wrong, if you're willing to abandon your cultural preconceptions about what is appropriate food. Unless poisonous moth larvae actually exist outside of Pokemon.
    Last edited by Xyril; 2017-06-16 at 01:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

That is an outdated parable. The modern man would buy a gun to deal with the bears himself, although you run the risk that this story ends with the bears asking if you're really there for the hunting...