New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Slaves in the Empire of the Drowning Sun [IC]

"The Lady Askarda, standing next to you." Looking between the two he thought for a moment but then seemed to move on. The tone of the voice shifts again, to that more guttural sounding chop,
    but still speaking Celestial, "An angry mob, in the Temple of Eleasandra, what has angered them?" Another pause, "You are an emmisary..from the King of where? Air?"
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Justinian

Justinian nodded. He must have missed the noblewoman's full introduction. "Aye, the King of Air, king of Zephyr on the Plane of Air. Don't think this place has been a temple for a long time, though. It's being used as a meeting place, to hold a conference on Slavery. The crowd did not approve of some of the views espoused. So, who are you?"

He glanced over to Avaliah and said, speaking the common tongue, "Well, he seems to know you, at least."
    Last edited by ChrisAsmadi; 2017-06-22 at 09:03 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

The entire arena is focused on the being who was just a moment ago encased in stone. Silence reigns as all eyes are directed at the two outsiders' exchange. No one seems willing to make the first move, even the most vocal of the delegates have been silenced by this turn of events.
    An elf in the audience begins to mutter a string of words that sound much like prayer in Elven. Anyone capable of understanding the language would hear a plea for the Punisher to have mercy on the ignorant and swift journeys to a different land. This sentiment is mimicked by a few others whose age can only be guessed at, though their pleas range from holy awe to sheer terror.
    Zarya regains her voice and is one of the first to speak.
    "I-I greet you... Herald. What message does your Liege wish for us to hear?"

Elric
    Akkalandra doesn't seem too concerned by Elric's attempts to restrain her and actually seems amused.
    "So it is you. I didn't believe it was. Your mind was so... amusing," she purred, "a fairly intelligent man who couldn't see that I had him wrapped around my little finger. I hardly even needed to influence you to throw yourself to your doom just to please me."
    She gives a chuckle as she turns her head just enough to get a look at the man.
    "It's so adorable that you came back like this just to bask in my beauty. No need to claim that the others have done anything like that. You never did have a good sense of humor."
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

4. - Top - End - #34

Elric the Herbalist

Elric smiles, he figured that with the right words she would reveal the fact that it was really her. He looks around the room, and notices that all the attention is mainly focused on the statue being.

The old man reverts to a serious look on his face while he tightens the grip of the telekinesis even further. “In a way I’m grateful to you. I had never experienced happiness in my lifetime. I had done horrible things to offset the balance of the cosmos. And here I am today, given a second chance.”

Elric takes a pause for an intense stare down.

“You are the product of pure evil. As of today you will cease to exist. I have come to wipe you and your merry band of chuckling psychopaths off the face of this planet. I acknowledge that your arrogance blinds you from your fate. You probably think that the contingency plans you have in place are enough to save your pathetic life. Or are even under the delusion that this is a trap laid out for me.” He pauses once more to gage her reaction. “What do you think will happen after you perish? Your lunatic friends will try to take over your position, your bosses will recruit others, and you will be forgotten instantly. Akkalandra … the name will disappear from everyone’s minds in an instant.”

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Standard Action: Telekinesis Combat Maneuver Pin
    Pin vs CMD - (1d20+33)[36]

Attempting to rattle her cage with insinuation and fear to gain more information.
    Intimidate - (1d20+16)[26]

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAsmadi View Post
    Justinian

Justinian nodded. He must have missed the noblewoman's full introduction. "Aye, the King of Air, king of Zephyr on the Plane of Air. Don't think this place has been a temple for a long time, though. It's being used as a meeting place, to hold a conference on Slavery. The crowd did not approve of some of the views espoused. So, who are you?"

He glanced over to Avaliah and said, speaking the common tongue, "Well, he seems to know you, at least."
    He seems to mull that statement over regarding slavery, a look of concern sweeps across his face. "Slavery... a conference. On slavery... What is it you are conferring about regarding the enslavement of other beings then?" This obviously doesn't sit well with him but he continues, appearing to shake something off, "I am known by many names, several are being whispered in the crowd as we speak, but if I may, Call me Raphael. I much prefer that one to most of the others." He looks at Avaliah and speaks in common this time, "I do not know her specifically but the crest she wears is of the ruling family, yes? Is she not your queen?"
    I like the globe warm...

6. - Top - End - #36

To say that events escalated at such a rapid rate it was like someone had flicked a switch was a significant understatement... and the speed in which the following events happened almost left Avaliah reeling and trying desperately to recover and muster up some semblance of composure.

Almost being the operative word.

When Avaliah’s condemnation of Tesarion Chadwick brought upon a gaze of betrayal and wrath in the eyes of Zarya, the Negotiator felt a moment of uncertainty. Had she truly misread Zarya’s intent to such a large degree that Avaliah ended up pressing for the exact opposite result that Zarya desired...? ... Perhaps. Or perhaps Zarya had misjudged the intent that was in her eyes as she attempted to speak without words. It was not the easiest of abilities to master after all, and even a master of their craft are not above the flawed existence of morality. Whilst Avaliah could not know for certain where the fault lied, she was able to take comfort in the fact that there was an equal chance of Zarya’s error as there was her own.

If the dismissal of Tesarion was not enough to cause conflict within the hall, however... what followed most definitely did, literally as it would turn out. For Lady Fellspark attempt to cut through the proceedings completely, to invalidate the need for this discussion to take place at all by automatically going to the Church for the final decision making was an insult to everyone who had come here in order to partake in the proceedings. To say that Avaliah was insulted by this brazen attempt to ignore the democratic process was even more of an understatement than the one stated mere moments ago... yet Avaliah was able to keep her composure, opening her mouth to make a verbal retort, scathing perhaps. Yet not an answer of violence and steel.

Unfortunately, she was not the only one to be so incensed by Fellspark’s action... and unlike Avaliah, these others had no qualms in during steel and casting magic to make their points known. Combined with the fact that parties to this proceeding had seen a need to hide agents amongst the guards, and the standing areas descended into pure chaos. Avaliah’s hand dropping to her own weapon, the Askarda family heirloom... yet she did not draw it. The floor was not invaded by the seething masses, and she would not know who to fight if she did attempt to enter into the fight regardless.

And then... as if all that had not already been enough. The Statue that had sat within the hall every since the records could recall, decided to come to live. Not only that, but it spoke in an archaic tongue that Avaliah had little ability to understand... at least until it laid eyes on her, and moved to kneel before her. Speaking in a tongue that had a touch of draconic within it... and what really confused and put Avaliah on the wrong foot, was that it spoke her family name without any possibility of the word being anything else... everyone in the arena would hear the Herald speaking her name.

It was almost a blessing when Justinian decided it was a good idea to jump next to her, brandishing his weapon at the Herald. For not only did the sudden movement sent a shock of adrenaline through her body and bring her snapping back to reality. But it gave Avaliah an action that she actually understood. An action that she could comprehend... and thus, an action that she could react to. And react she did, Avaliah twisting to face the Aasimar, mouth opening in order to criticise his actions

Only to be spoken over directly by the two of them. Avaliah was fairly certain that Justinian was talking in Celestial, and from what she picked up from the Herald, his own language was shifting in order to match with what the Aasimar was saying. Yet the discussion clearly involved Avaliah in some way. Her family name was dropped not once, not twice, but thrice by the Herald, all whilst both it and Justinian converted in the Celestial tongue... with all Justinian saying is that it knew her... instead of actually telling her any information that a five-year-old with eyes and ears would be able to understand from looking and listening to the situation!

It was official. Avaliah had actually managed to run out of patience and composure.

“Justinian. I will say this once. And once only. I am not some weak damsel that needs the help of a ‘dashing hero’ who will jump to my defence, waving a sword around because their body was gifted with a pin. My reputation as a duelist and a fighter is second only to my reputation as the Negotiator... and the only reason it is the second reputation is that I am not foolish enough to try and resolve all my situations with an overcompensating sword, such as when a statue that has existed as far as recorded history remembers suddenly springs to life, speaking in an archaic language and kneeling at the feet of specific individuals. Though I suppose not needing anything to compensate for anything aids slightly in that regard. Considering yourself fortunate that your actions did not aggravate the situation and that the ex-statue decided the most appropriate response of this leaping dandy was not to bifurcate them. Now as you seem to have finishing flailing a weapon that from the looks of it was stolen from family, you have two options. To share what the ex-statue has been saying in Celestial, and not simply state information that is so blindingly obvious that a person with no eyes would be able to see it. Or return to your seat and allow the rational people of this meeting to deal with the situation.”

With that verbal demolishing completed, Avaliah mentally dismissed Justinian, turning to the still kneeling Herald as he spoke in the common tongue. “As for you, I must advise that you seek out a library in order to ensure you understand the situation you are in. The Askarda family are so far from royalty that only our indisputable talent for adamantine smithing is what allows us to keep our title as nobility at all, and even then we are forever cast down as the lowest of the noble houses, no matter how young and new the other houses may be.”
    Last edited by The Blade Wolf; 2017-06-23 at 06:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Could it be true, could what her highness was saying actually be true? Askarda no longer ruled these lands, no longer held sway? Impossible, the dragons would not be so quickly or easily defeated. True, but quickly may not be applicable here. Raphael frowned again, nodding and then slowly rising to his full height to stand before his queen. Queen no longer it would seem He speaks these next words to Avaliah in draconic, as much to see if she recognizes the tongue as it is to respect her heritage, "Your ability to work the gods metal comes from the dragon blood coursing through your veins, My Lady. That same blood marks you not as nobility but as royalty."

He closes his eyes a moment, tilting his head towards the sky. Almost as quickly his head snaps back level, those unsettling pupiless eyes locking on Avaliah, "No...it cannot be."

He turns his attention to the woman who addressed him earlier and his back on Avaliah, his wings flaring slightly and the shadow cloak adjusting itself around the movement. "You name me Herald, woman. What, exactly, is it that I am to Herald?" He gestures to the sword buried hilt deep in the marble floor "My mission here is finished, or more accurately incomplete and so I find myself in your midst. I am told this is a conference on slavery." The already guttural voice deepening "Whom are you enslaving?"
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2017-06-23 at 07:39 PM.
    I like the globe warm...

8. - Top - End - #38

Justinian

Justinian lowered his rapier to his side - this creature, Raphael, seemed no threat, but who knew what this crowd might get up to when they recovered from the shock.

He bowed towards Avaliah and swept his hat before him in apology, and said, "I apologise for my boorishness, but I spend most of my time upon the seas or out amongst the planes, and I had heard not of your talents with the blade. As you were approached by this fellow - a fellow who appears to be kindred to demons, I feared the loss of a fellow supporter of the cause, and so I acted. Unnecessarily, it seems."

Popping his hat back atop his raven black hair (and, more importantly, to hide the upswept ears that betray his elven heritage), he continued, "Of the bits I could understand, there is little to share. He seems to be out of a different time - a time when this place was a Temple of Eleasandra, whomever that might be." With a wink and a grin, he added in the Elven tongue, "Oh, and I have no need to compensate for anything. Trust me."

He paused as Raphael made his pronouncement, and answered the creature, "Can't tell you anything about this Herald job, mate, but as to who they enslave - it's everyone who isn't human. Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs - and the rest."
    Last edited by ChrisAsmadi; 2017-06-23 at 08:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Zarya seems to waver in her resolve as she is addressed by the imposing figure but continues to press on as best she can.
    "You are obviously of angelic or demonic origin but I cannot tell which deity you serve. I have also heard some of the local legends that tell of 'the Reaper', 'the Herald', and even 'Lost One'. I had assumed you were to deliver violence but as you have yet to do so I can only guess it is a message you wish to deliver."
    Most of those armed have lowered their weapons so as to more fully engage themselves in hearing what portents the winged being bore.

Elric
    A flash of fear crosses her features as Elric forces her into submission. She hisses in frustration at the old man.
    "You believe that we came here completely defenseless do you? The Crescent Cabal does not bow to foolish men like you. It is no longer in our best interests to stay now that the Shatterer's Blade roams the world once more."
    She pauses briefly as if thinking about some thought and then she is gone. Two other women disappear simultaneously, leaving Elric to grasp empty air.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

10. - Top - End - #40

Kaya is rather surprised by the recent turn of events; this was definitely not something she had prepared to deal with today. Angry mobs were one thing. A familiar thing, in fact. But statues turning to life? This was beyond her.

With a bit of a wry smile, Kaya turns to Lady Fellspark. "You know, I caught pretty much all of that, and I'm pretty sure I have no idea what's going on.
    I don't know how skilled of a linguist you are, but if you would like me translate, I can. I cannot however promise that it will make much sense though, Mistress.
    "

Spoiler: roll
    Show
    Since Kaya failed to recognize the statue on sight, I'd like a chance to re-roll that earlier check to recognize the statue, considering all of the names and titles being thrown about for the statue/angel/demon. If acceptable, Local - (1d20+25)[44].
    Last edited by nolongerchaos; 2017-06-24 at 06:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

His eyes widen as the woman in front of him zaps away. Immediate Elric regrets not just cutting her down at the very first sign of her presence. He closes his eyes and starts calming himself down. He focuses on the words she uttered. “Crescent Cabal” and “Shatterer’s Blade”, those are hard to forget. He knew that these dark beings were somewhat organized. Calling themselves a cabal implied things on a different scale though. How far did this go? Elric will not rest until each and every one of them are purged from this world. She brought two accomplices with her. Elric reaches back far into his memory to try and remember their faces.

He then redirects his attention to the situation at hand. There were still angry folks with weapons standing about, looking in awe at the creature. This must be what Akkalandra spoke about, the Shatterer’s Blade. Whatever was going on, these people weren’t safe here. The old man slowly walks up to what seems to be the leader of the mob, he holds up his hands, with staff in hand.

Elric summons all the energy of his rage and frustration, and channels it into an emotional speech.
    “Fellas fellas, I believe your strong emotions and resolve have been heard by the cosmos. Bloodshed is something that happens on a daily basis, and has little effect on beings of Divine stature. Yet what you’ve shown here today is absolutely marvelous. A small band of brave souls dare to challenge the status quo. You demand justice, you demand freedom, and you demand to be heard. Emotions so strong and powerful with which you seem to have brought a magnificent creature to life. The debate is over. The people in power have tried to cling on to it for so long, and today you have put that to rest. It is our time now, the time for everyone. Together with this Celestial being by our side we can end the crisis that has cursed us for so many generations.”

He makes a downward motion with his hands. “Now lower your arms, and walk out. Your work in this temple here is done, yet your adventures have just started. You are bestowed with the sacred task of spreading the word. Go out and tell them what happened here today. Tell everyone, so that every living and breathing slave and slaver will know their destinies.”

“Tell them how the delegates of anti-slavery won the debate.”

Elric pauses, looking the people intensely in the eyes.

“Tell them how the opposition walked out with their tail between their legs.”

He pauses again, in the hopes for a “yes” or “amen” from the crowd.

“Tell them how they refused to take part in the true discussion, and tell them how you would not stand for their arrogance!”

“Tell them how your mighty feelings for injustice and rage soared into the skies and angered the Gods.”

“Tell them that your power resurrected an ancient being that will help us abolish this true evil.”

“And tell them that the days of slavery are numbered.”

“Now go forth, and tell them all!!”

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Riling up the troops
    Diplomacy - (1d20+33)[52]
    Last edited by Joltzz; 2017-06-24 at 05:44 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Raphael takes in the crowd as they watch his every move. He was used to moving among the world of men unknown, unseen. Subtle influences, not direct interaction. Why does she not answer? You know why, because she is not there. But that is impossible. Not if he got to her, you were to slow.

Justinian hears two distinct voices in his head at that moment, both asking the same question, Who are 'they'? Who are 'they'? One is certainly the angelic version Raphael was using from before but the other is slightly different from the demonic one. Different enough to give him the impression Raphael didn't ask it twice.

Addressing Zarya the Moderator "You did not answer my question. That is not a good way to start."
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2017-06-24 at 06:52 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

13. - Top - End - #43

... At the very least. Justinian was not without his manners. Apologising for mistaking the ex-statue as a potential threat to her life, and apologising to her for believing that she was not without the skill to defend herself. How he slipped into the Elvish tongue in order to comment there was no need for compensation nearly had her rolling her eyes, that was very true. But Avaliah restrained herself, as it was not worth the time and effort to spare.

Especially not when the events elsewhere were significantly more concerning...

First, there was the now living statue. Avaliah already discounted them as being a Herald at all, as they reacted in confusion to being called that title, through Avaliah did not know what exactly was their name at this time. What with Justinian deciding there was no need for him to share what name he had been informed by the ex-statue personally and all... it did Avaliah’s mood no favours to hear her family’ gift at shaping and smithing adamantium being attributed to the draconic blood that runs through her body, instead of it being a talent that the family has spent generations of practice and learning, passed down from parent to child in order to ensure those skills were never lost. Nor did it help her mood to be addressed in the draconic tongue... as whilst Avaliah knew how to speak it by heart. She would never reveal her talent in the open like this, reminding everyone of her draconic heritage.

Oh, and when he asked ‘Whom are you enslaving?’ the fact that Justinian answered the question was ignored, in favour of growling more at Zayra when the poor woman was quite obviously terrified of him. That didn’t help matters of course. But, that was acceptable. Avaliah could deal with that. She could deal with the ex-statues aggression and ignorance. She could likely even help him as he was so clearly reaching out to her...

What she did not have any tolerance, however. Was this man deciding to step forwards, and attempt to twist the ex- statue's act of coming to life as a holy miracle and a sign that the gods themselves wanted slavery to be abolished... an act that reminded her far, far to much of how the Church manipulated the public to suit their whims...

Avaliah would not let such clear manipulation of the public, and of the ex-statue go unpunished.

“ENOUGH!” The Negotiator's voice rang outwards with a dreadful fury. Whilst before her voice was full of passion, yet composed and asking for people to use logic and reasoning... now she was not calling for people to hear her. She was demanding that they would listen to here.“I will not stand here and let us descend into chaos and stupidity! I will speak now, and you will listen!”

Twisting round, Avaliah turned to look at the ex-statute that still stood beside her. “Whilst I am not alone in my surprise and astonishment in the statue coming to life. It seems I am the only one able to think rationally! What we have here is no Herald of the gods, coming here to deliver a message to us all to here. We do not have a demonic servant intending to show chaos amongst us. We do not even have a higher being whose wisdom far surpasses our own! What we have standing before us, is a being no more special than you and I. A being who has been trapped in stone perhaps before the Shattering itself! A being, whose knows nothing of this world, and this meeting. Therefore, they do not have any place within it!”

Stepping forwards Avaliah would rest a hand on the ex- statue's shoulder, speaking quieter now, but making sure all could hear her firm voice. “Unless I am mistaken on your ignorance of the proceedings. Then I must insistent to you leave this hall for everyone's benefit. You are welcome to listen and observe, but not to partake. Afterwards, I will do what I can to aid you in understanding the situation you have found yourself in. But for now, more pressing matters are calling for my attention.”

Dropping her head, Avaliah pivoted round once more, now looking up into the audience. Looking up at the one who started this all. “Lady Fellspark.” Avaliah said, her voice calmer, yet with a clear undercurrent of the fury and wrath that had caused her to speak up in the first place. “As you have shown a lack of understanding as to why you are here, allow me to explain. We are here to grant everyone the ability to speak their part. Anyone, from the richest and most powerful of nobility, to the poorest and grubbiest of farm works. Here, status means little when compared to your ability to speak to others and sway them to your side. To ease the fears of others with your logic and reasoning. And most importantly, the ability to listen to what the others say. Here, in this all. It is the people who make the decision. No Noble, No Church, No Emperor can make those decisions for us! If you are unable to accept that. If you are unable to accept the truth of the need to speak, then you are free to leave us. If you would instead prefer to take your chance in speaking to the people of the Empire, even after showing that you have little understanding of the purpose of this meeting, and a respect for all those who gather here, you are welcome to stay. Through I would be surprised if you are still voted in after trying to bully your way into that position.”

There was a pause after this. Avaliah needing a moment to get her breath back. To keep her composure and not allow the world to see the Negotiator lose herself completely to her emotions. Through as she twisted round, cane raising in order to point directly at Elric. This would be the closest it had even been for Avaliah’s composure to shatter completely. All of the fury and anger that was found when she demanded to be heard, returned full force now as she spoke.

“As for YOU. How DARE you try to manipulate us so openly?! How DARE you claim that the statue’s release from his prison is an act of divinity?! How DARE you act as some holy leader here to guide us! How DARE you try and pervert OUR mission! Our mission to abolish slavery is not some divine mandate given to us from above! Our mission is a mission of blood and sweat! Our mission is a mission have personally taken in on ourselves to fight for! Our mission is a mission that will be seen through with acceptance, rationality and logic! We will NOT be guided by the ravings of a MAD MAN!” Twisting round, Avaliah’s hands tightened around her cane. The desire to draw it so strong that it took every ounce of self-control not to reveal it’s secret.

“Lady Zayra, is this man a delegate that is allowed to speak? Or is he a madman, speaking out of turn, and to be removed from this meeting whenever he likes it, or not?”
    Last edited by The Blade Wolf; 2017-06-24 at 01:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Zarya nods in acknowledgement at Avaliah's comments.
    "I am sorry sir but the Negotiator is correct. Such manipulation will not be tolerated. I must ask that you be dismissed for the rest of these proceedings. However," she continues, "Lady Fellspark is correct that she need not speak to attend the summit. Her summons are indeed unusual but not out of order. I must insist that any further objections be reserved for a later date."
    She then turns to face the 'Herald', gaining a bit more confidence after the Negotiator's fiery retorts.
    "Your question has been answered already. We are holding one of the last meetings to select representatives for the upcoming summit being held by the Church of Enduring Hope. There they will make an official statement towards the current slave issue. However, as it stands, I cannot allow you to participate as one of the delegates."
    Her attention then focuses on the erstwhile combatants as her voice rings out.
    "I would now suggest we put down our arms and open the floor to the public. Otherwise, all parties will be immediately dismissed and be forbidden entrance to the Summit. I believe I am safe in saying that I have the Peacekeeper's support in this?"
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Raphael takes a moment to let Zarya's words sink in, "What exactly are the requirements for someone to be considered a delegate?"
    I like the globe warm...

16. - Top - End - #46

With a barely visible gesture of dismissal from within the orange sphere, the Veil vanishes.

"Certainly, Mistress Moderator. You have my full support." Kaya gives a brief glance around the crowd, her gaze lingering perhaps a moment longer on those with bared steel or wands in hand, a wan smile upon her face. "Let us pray for more level heads and less steel in this round of discussion." For a moment, she contemplates ending her comment with a threat, but in the end decides it would serve no purpose, and simply resumes her seat beside Lady Fellspark.

17. - Top - End - #47

Justinian

Justinian shook his head, blinking at the telepathic questions. He'd encountered telepaths before, but it was a rare gift. A gift of this odd being's demonic heritage, perhaps?

He shrugged, sheathing his rapier as he listened to the shouting.

As everything quietened down, he turned to walk back to his seat, but glanced back at Raphael's somewhat oblivious question and said with a grin, "I think requirement one is knowing what's actually going on, Raphael."
    Last edited by ChrisAsmadi; 2017-06-24 at 06:19 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Once the Peacekeeper backs Zarya's threat, the other delegates grudgingly sheathe their weapons, many still glaring at the nonplussed Diedre.
    Many of the public seem to support Avaliah and Justinian as representatives. However, there are a good number who support Theomars despite the convincing arguments against him.
    Zarya then calls for the vote after the public has made their voices known.

Spoiler: The Results
    Show
    Justinian and Avaliah are selected as representatives.
    Thomars is selected as a representative and one other delegate. (Both pro-slavery)

Afterwards
    After everyone leaves the building, Zarya catches up with Avaliah and pulls her aside.
    "What were you thinking!? Why did you get one of the Chadwick brothers dismissed? Bad enough you embarrassed the other one!"
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2017-06-27 at 12:50 AM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

19. - Top - End - #49

Elric turns away as the individual called Zarya makes her remarks. Her authority is not recognized by him at all. He starts walking out slowly as she keeps talking to establish her power. The people have heard what they needed to hear. His words will not be forgotten. He knows that. Most importantly, he gave them a break of mental state. Their safety had been his number one concern. Elric doubts they’d be able to successfully revolt against the Peacekeepers.

As he gets outside, the old man looks at the sky with squinting eyes. He attempts to clear his head to think about his next move. The summit was his only lead to the Witches and their Crescent Cabal. Now it was back to square one. Although they seemed to show an interest in the summit, and got disinterested when this statue came to life. The creature could be connected somehow.

Elric decides to wait for the creature to appear. He positions himself just to the right of the entrance, waiting for them to get out of the building.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sighing to himself, Raphael decides he doesn't know near enough about what it going on to get involved. As the conference draws to a close he hangs his head in thought, Do you really think she is gone, old friend. Of course she is gone, else why has she not contacted you? Wake up! Nodding as he comes to a decision Raphael simply winks out of existence, disappearing from the central chamber.

Moments later he appears atop the temple dome, much to the chagrin of a few onlookers who notice his arrival. His appearance atop the dome along with the rumors of what happened within the chamber were now spreading like wildfire through the crowd. Standing there in shock he gazed upon a world torn asunder, everything had changed, had the final battle done this?

Raphael realized he was a being without purpose in a world he no longer knew. But then why? Why, after who knew how long, had he returned? It was not at the call of the goddess, that much was certain...

Glancing down at the distinctly human crowd beginning to gather below him he thought perhaps he had been given a purpose after all.

Within the chambers as people began to mill about whispering in hushed tones, a few gathered near the dais where the statue once stood, their feet crunching on the gravel that was left over from the explosion. Someone curious enough to bend a knee and look at the sword still driven near hilt deep in the marble floor worked up the courage to actually touch it. As she did the sword winked out of existence just like it's owner, she fell back on her rump with a yelp, the crowd gasping in awe once again.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2017-06-27 at 03:21 PM.
    I like the globe warm...

21. - Top - End - #51

Avaliah had to confess that it was a great relief to have the conference finally over. To say that it had been... eventful, was in the running for understatement of the year for certain. Avaliah had expected to have to speak up against Theomars Chadwick at the very least... but dismissing Tesarion Chadwick? Diedre Fellspark causing the audience to fall into chaos and battle? To have the statue standing at the hall for so long to just, come to life once more? That was not what Avaliah expected... so it was a relief to have it come to an end, with her voted as a representative.

Except, it wasn’t fully over now, was it? Avaliah had to make sure Raphael didn’t cause too many problems... although Zayra caught her before she could make her leave, pulling her aside and asking why she dismissed Tesarion, to which she replied with a shrug. “The fault of miscommunication lies on both parties dear, not just one or the other... and if Theomars did not want to be embarrassed, he should not have tried to sway the people with such obvious fear mongering. Now if you'll excuse me, I want to ensure that a living statue does not have the island descend into a fit of religious lunacy.”

Avaliah didn’t wait for Zayra’s permission or response as she made her leave... through the crowds outside soon brought her gaze up to the dome... where the sight of Raphael made her sigh. Of course, he would... steeling herself for the looks and rumours, Avaliah called up towards him, she knew how to carry her voice. “Mister Raphael Sir. I am now available to aid you in understanding the situation you have found yourself in. I would much prefer to be able to do so whilst talking with you, instead of calling to you whilst you are on top of a large building.”

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Post Elric's greeting him atop the dome.

Raphael looks down at Avaliah's call, The dragon beckons mister sir *snicker*, Shush. She knows not what she is or she does and denies it. If the world has fallen this far we have much to do. He blinks away again, appearing beside her and taking a knee once again, "M'Lady Askarda, what is your bidding?" she could hear an edge in his voice that wasn't there in the temple, humor maybe? Surely not.

As he kneels there awaiting her reaction he risks telepathy, {Forgive the intrusion M'lady, if this is an unwelcome form of communication it will not happen again.}
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2017-06-30 at 11:25 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Zarya seems about to muster a retort before Avaliah leaves her behind.
    The crowd that leaves the building seems abuzz with all of the events that have transpired in the Council-Hall, no doubt the events would be spread about, embellished, and blown out of proportion before it left the island.

Lady Fellspark receives quite a few dirty looks as she leaves but doesn't acknowledge them. She hasn't gone far before she turns to Kaya.
    "I will be leaving to meet with an associate of mine. I shall be quite safe there. I assume you have other duties that need attending to so I'll let you be off for the time being."
    She then proceeds to make good on her word by heading off to one of the other segments of the island close to the center.

A few hours later, messengers find and deliver a short letter to each of the selected representatives and are quickly off, no doubt to unload the other pieces of parchment that bulge from their satchels in an inordinate jumble.
    The letter informs the representatives (and Kaya as she is attached to a representative) that in two days time a ship, Wavehopper, will be prepared for them to depart for the island of Dorn's Rest. Anyone who is not aboard will need to make alternate arrangements.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2017-06-28 at 02:43 PM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Jormindrill steps out of the council hall with a smile on his disguised human face. It was truly an amusing farce of meeting. The Empire obviously had their representative firmly embedded in the proceedings in the form of one Deidre Fellspark. The fact that she was protected by a Peacemaker who actually bothered to step out from the shadows was proof enough of that.

However, that wasn't the only interesting plot happening, Jormindrill saw that one man's spat with the other woman, old bad blood perhaps? As well as the averted attack by the Peacemaker, Jormindrill would have stopped the knife thrower if it really came to it, but it seems he didn't need to. He laughed with the rest of them when Thomars lost his pants, but was puzzled by his brother's verbal slip, quite unlike him.

But the real star of the event was the statue of 'The Reaper' coming to life as blood was near being shed. Likely the taverns and inns would be telling and retelling and exaggerating the story until it lost all comprehension. Well at least it all ended without casualties. But just what is the man's story for being there? Get caught by a spell mid-swing in an ancient battle? Regardless, he seems rather lost now, sitting forlornly on the roof as a crowd gathers below, ah, and here comes the Negotiator to speak with him.

Jormindrill slips into the crowd watching as the one called Raphael teleports down to kneel before her, curious to see how it plays out.

25. - Top - End - #55

As he waits for the creature to come out, Elric can see the people in front of him staring at the top of the dome. It becomes apparent by people’s reaction that it is the being he had been waiting for. Elric starts floating upwards slowly, and moves towards them. He takes a bow as he hovers directly in front of the creature.

He speaks in Common.
    “Greetings, my name is Elric. I apologize for causing a racket in there earlier. Human politics can be somewhat eventful.”

Elric looks at them with a friendly smile, waiting to see if they understand him.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Raphael turns to the man floating up to speak, shifting those stark white eyes to Elric as he addresses him. Tilting his head slightly in acknowledgement he starts to speak but seems to be interrupted by something. Dead. He is dead. What? He is? Beware, the dead do not roam this plane easily. Raphael smiles at Elric and speaks to him in Common, "Well met, Elric, call me Raphael. It would seem we both .... caused a racket inside." After another brief pause he adds "Mayhaps one needed to be caused."
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2017-06-30 at 11:24 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

The next few days pass by relatively uneventfully. Save for the constant stares at Raphael and the constant retelling of the 'Council-Hall Brawl' in every tavern, no further disturbances interrupt anyone.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If you have anything you want to do for those days you may do so.

Day of Departure
    Messengers once again contact each of the representatives, this time insisting that the representatives travel together on the Wavehopper to ensure the safety of those selected and timely arrival.

The ship in question is of comparable size to Justinian's own. The tips of cannons can be seen protruding from the deck, a rare sight but not unheard of. The ship flies the colors of the Empire and soldiers can be seen patrolling the deck while sailors shout to each other in their final preparations to set sail.
    Zarya is there to see people off, standing next to a local crier who chooses just at that moment to bellow out:
    "Any and all who wish to attend the summit by being elected as a representative are invited aboard the Wavehopper! Papers will be required for any such persons of interest!"

Spoiler: Knowledge (Geography)
    Show
    Spoiler: DC 15
    Show
    Dorn's Rest is a forest island rife with life. Many of the homes there are built into the very trees and it is publicly known as a safe refuge for non-humans. Just make sure to watch out for the local wildlife, plant and animal alike.
    Spoiler: DC 20
    Show
    The Empire has a weak, by Empire standards, presence on Dorn's Rest. They rarely get involved in any sort of direct law-enforcement, leaving it up to the locals to take care of.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Nobility)
    Show
    Show
    Dorn's Rest is home to Adrianna Gaulstaff. She doesn't often leave the island due to her unfavorable views and her duties to those that dwell on the island as a healer and spiritual leader.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Religion)
    Show
    Show
    Dorn's Rest is home to a church that people claim Adrianna started herself. While possibly correct, it espouses that all beings are free to act in their own interests and the right to be bound by no one.
    Spoiler: DC 20
    Show
    Some people take this a step further, saying that anyone trying to tell them what to do is infringing on their right as a living being. "I am free to do what I want, when I want, wherever I want." is a common creed.

- Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

28. - Top - End - #58

Justinian

After the Meeting

Justinian had left the council hall after the press of gossiping people, having stopped just long enough to add the papers confirming him as a representative to his extradimensional pouch, alongside those already given by the King of Air. The first stage of his mission had gone well - even if the statue’s sudden animation had caused a great shock. It remained to be seen if the ripples from that shock would serve to bring about good or evil or mere chaos.

Skirting the growing crowd, he stopped only to catch Raphael's attention from the edge of the crowd, to give the strange creature a wave, a nod and a tip of his tricorne, before leaving to head back to his ship.

---

Day of Departure

A few quiet days later, Justinian received the strongly worded “request” that he and the other representatives (and their bodyguards) travel on board an Imperial ship. It was someone’s ploy - keep him and the others away from most of their power base - that was obvious, but he wondered who was pulling the strings.

Justinian waved the messenger out of his cabin and sat back in his chair, popping his feet up on his heavy wooden desk as he began to scheme and plot, to turn this ploy into an advantage.

Still, at least one thing was certain.

Welf wouldn't like this one bit.

---

An hour later, Justinian called Welf into his office and explained his plan - Welf would take the Northern Wind on a longer route to Dorn's Rest and drop anchor away from the main settlement, yet close enough to spot Justinian’s signal in the sky and render aid if needed. And if he were to spot any of their old allies - Captain Silverbeard and the Daemones Discurrunt, Captain Snorwellen and the Dwarven Fury, and, especially, Captain Elvenstar and the Diamond Star - he was to let them know what was going on.

And, of course, Welf didn't like the plan. Justinian wasn't surprised - the Sylph didn't like acting as Captain in the best of times, and Justinian walking into what might well be a trap certainly didn't qualify as anything close to the best of anything at all. But they had to try - this was finally a chance to chip away at an institution that had harmed every single member of the Northern Wind’s crew in one way or another.

Indeed, it was the best one they had, and as Justinian stepped aboard the Wavehopper, he knew he’d just have to trust that when the moment came, Welf and the others would be there.
    Last edited by ChrisAsmadi; 2017-07-01 at 04:37 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Before Departure

Jormindrill enjoyed seeing the drama unfold, but the corner of his eye caught the envoy from the realm of Air leaving the council hall. Since he wasn't of the empire, he would likely care little about Jor's legal status while also getting Jor back to Dorn's Rest. As for Raphael, Jormindrill turns back to see him still the center of attention, there will be time to speak with him later. Keeping disguised, Jormindrill follows Justinian at a respectful distance, making no real effort to hide himself as he does so.

Once he has caught up to him, Jor starts a conversation, "Quite a spectacle in the council hall today wasn't it? A Peacekeeper's arrival, words sharp enough to cut thrown about, and real steel drawn before being interrupted by a statue come to life. I wonder if the real talks will be so entertaining."

Justinian glances back, eyeing the man for a moment - quickly deciding that he must just be some curious townsman - before he resumed walking and replies, ”I can only hope so. Aside from anything else, this is far more exciting than some boring debate.”

The pair gossip about matters of little importance as they wind their way through the wide boulevards of the town, out to the harbour, passing a gang of harbour guards - who shoot Justinian more than a few dirty looks - as they walk out onto the docks. Reaching the Northern Wind - Justinian’s galley - the pirate holds his hand out to halt his newfound companion before the ship’s gangway. Calmly, he says, ”I’m afraid this is where you stop, friend.”

Jormindrill smiles, as words more comfortable to his tongue then Imperial Commons leave his lips,
    Spoiler: Sylvan
    Show
    "You won’t even invite me to your cabin for a drink? I thought you would like a chance to talk after the council, one non-human to another."

Justinian raised an eyebrow and smiled, lowering his hand and waving the man onto the gangway. The pirate leads him past some wary crewmembers, most of them keeping an eye on the watch rather than doing much work, to his cabin, a somewhat cozy affair.

Once the door is shut, he asks, ”So, what’s led to someone who speaks the Fey tongue hiding out amongst humans? Seems like it might be an interesting tale.”

”Long perhaps, but not very interesting, I’m afraid.” Jormindrill says as he dismisses his glamour, he is revealed to be a dark skinned Fey, with delicate features that would make even elves jealous, but his raven black hair and the black orbs of his eyes can bring forth an air of intimidation. ”I am Jormindrill, one of the Killoren, I wouldn’t be insulted if you haven’t heard of my people, it was an especially long distance raid that brought me in chains to the Empire’s isles.” Jormindrill says as he takes a seat to make himself comfortable.

Justinian leans against the edge of his desk, removing his tricorne to reveal the upswept ears, the mark of the elven portion of his heritage. ”I’m sorry, that must have been a grim experience. Much of my crew has similar stories,” says the pirate, before pausing to run his hand through his hair, ”Did you come to me to ask for passage off the island, then?”

”Hmm, yes and no...” Jormindrill says as he steeples his fingers together as he collects his thoughts, ”I can wander about most of the Empire as I please, very few can see through my illusions these days, and those that do can hardly hope to catch me. However, the upcoming meeting between representatives will be different. As a former slave I have a particularly personal interest in the proceedings and would like to be nearby in case of any… disruptions. You have not lived in the Empire as long as I so let me reiterate that this meeting will possibly shake the Empire. The public appearance of a Peacekeeper is enough to tell that. But I can’t help but worry that the Empire’s obvious presence wouldn’t extend further into interference. As such, my hope is to attach myself to you as your bodyguard if I may.”

Justinian nodded in agreement, ”The King of Air had similar concerns as to the backlash this conference might cause if it began to bring about positive change. As much as I can tell, it’s part of the reason I was chosen as his emissary.” With a grin, he adds, ”I’m pretty quick with a blade, see.”

He paused in thought for a moment, considering the Fey’s proposal. Offering his hand, he finally says, ”Alright, if you can use your glamour magic to pose as a Sylph, I think I can get you in as my bodyguard, however we end up getting to the conference. Welf won’t like it much, though.”

Taking the offered hand, Jormindrill shakes it before saying, "It’s good you are confident in a fight. If the council hall was about to erupt into violence after a mere few hours, how would a week aboard a vessel fare? Even if it is partly a ruse, I will still take the job of protecting you seriously and I hope you watch my back as well. I can be very helpful in a skirmish, especially if no one knows what I can do."

”Between the pair of us, we should have enough tricks to keep whomever starts a scrap on their toes,” replies Justinian with another grin.

------------------------------------

After securing his passage to the meeting, Jormindrill re-disguises himself and sets out into the city for the next few days, looking for a certain mobile statue to speak with alone...

Day of Departure

After ensuring his disguise was perfect for the day, Jor goes early to meet with Justinian. His appearance is of a sylph, an easy enough change when his own form is thin and delicate, though the subtle breeze was difficult to reproduce, Jor decided that an Entropic Warding's chaotic winds would fit with a nervous sylph following his Captain into uncertain waters.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2017-07-04 at 05:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Before Departure

Quote Originally Posted by nolongerchaos View Post
    So far, today had not particularly gone as expected. The attempted attack on a delegate was no surprise, but the calmer of the Chadwick brothers being expelled for speaking out of turn was unexpected. And then there was the statue... And there seemed to be some sort of secondary scuffle in the crowd, but Kaya's attention had been elsewhere, so she was uncertain as to the nature of it. However, she was pretty sure the man who had spouted the religious dogma concerning the no-longer-statue had been involved.
    Fortunately, Kaya's trip through the market seemed to be going as well as she could have hoped though. There had been less rotten fruit thrown at her than usual, though perhaps that was due to stories of the Council-hall beginning to spread already. Fortunately the fruit was nothing a little Prestidigitation couldn't straighten out. She'd managed to buy several scrolls she'd been looking for, and there were others she still wanted to find, but she'd had just about enough of the market for today.
    She bought a small load of bread from one of the bakers and had just coaxed a gaunt urchin into accepting it from her when the crowd went very quiet. More quiet than was usual around Kaya anyway.
    Turning as she rose, Kaya found herself looking up into the face of the being from the Hall. Shock and surprise register briefly across her face, before she makes a small nod and a polite bow in recognition, a small smile across her face. She hesitates for a moment, glancing at the crowd, then decides to address the being in Celestial, to make their conversation at least slightly less public.
    "Well met, good master. I believe I heard you refer to yourself as Raphael earlier in the Hall, was that correct?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    Noticing the Peacekeeper wandering through the crowd, Raphael made his way towards her. Thoughts running rampant through his head after his conversation with Avaliah, he steered the bow wave of crowd parting towards the Peacekeeper. Shaking his head no and responding in Celestial, "I am no master, but you are correct, I prefer that name to the others I am given. If I may, I would like to ask you to tell me about this Empire you serve?" Why be so polite, just kill her and be done with it. Hush, this one is not to blame for slavery, she will not die today...beside you do not even know if we can kill her. The other voice fell silent, for now.
    A small frown appears on Kaya's face. "The Empire? That is quite a question, and one I feel I am not terribly well equipped to answer. I am no politician or philosopher. Nor am I an historian. I am but a servant. The Empire is my home, it's people are my people." Kaya waves her hand, gesturing towards the crowd. "They are the Empire I serve. And I devote myself to their protection. I serve for them." A twinkle appears in her eye and the small, soft smile returns as she says in Common, "I keep the peace."
    After a moment though, the frown returns. "...unless that's not what you were asking?" she asks, returning to Celestial.
    His face brightening at her smile and her answer, he replies in celestial "I have heard the politicians opinion of it as well as been given a brief history lesson. I merely wished to hear another opinion. Perhaps a more direct question would be to ask your opinion on slavery." He pauses watching her reaction, "I have a way to communicate that would be easier than worrying about someone in the crowd being able to speak the language we are using. If you will permit me?"
    Understanding appears in Kaya's eyes as Raphael asks her opinion on slavery. "Ah. I see. Yes, a more private conversation would probably be wise." She waits as the mental link is established, and nods in acknowledgement once it is complete. {Perhaps it would be best if we walk as we converse, we each draw our own share of attention, we might as well try to not be obviously peculiar just standing here. We can even visit some landmarks was we walk.} While they wander and converse telepathically, Kaya shows Raphael courthouses and libraries, but also seems to enjoy the expression of the crowd when she forces them to stop and marvel at a park bench, or when she remarks on the impossibly storied past of a simple lamppost.

{I am willing to discuss my views on slavery with you, but you must in turn share with me your own story.} She pauses for a moment, waiting for affirmation before continuing, looking down at her wrists with a sigh. {These opinions are my own, and may not reflect those of any group to which I may belong... Anyway, unlike many passionate people on both sides of the issue, I have actually been a slave. I personally wore chains for almost a century. I've been a chamber maid to a nobleman's daughter, and I learned the way of the sword as a gladiatorial pit slave. I know the issue better than most. It's not so black and white as people tend to paint it. Most do not consider the future, only the now. I do not believe the Empire can continue it's present course forever, but I've no solutions to offer. If, for instance, all slaves were freed by nightfall tonight, what would happen to this Empire? Who would would man the armies that defend us? Who would sail the ships, trading necessities between the islands the lack means of producing such for themselves?

And what of the slaves? I myself am a Chain-Breaker. If half the people I meet hate me for being a Peacekeeper, the other half hate me for daring to be free, let alone a position of any influence. I know what the slaves would face if freed into the current climate. And it's not as if they could leave the Empire if freed. They've no money, no means of bartering passage that wouldn't put them back in a position of servitude.

It is a more complex issue than most realize. As you may have noticed, discussion largely dissolves into the two sides merely shouting past each other. Tesarion Chadwick is one of few I have ever seen to consider the full scope of the matter, but he was dismissed from the proceedings by Mistress Askarda.

As I said, I've no answers to give. For now, I serve and protect the Empire, and do what I can to pave a path for others to follow.}
    Catching on quickly Raphael walks with Kaya, marveling at the mundane park benches and even tentatively touching the lamp post in wonder as she describes it.

{My story is lost to the millennia and may be best left there, but since you told me yours I will share mine. It is probable that any rumors you have heard regarding me are true. As far as I know I am a unique being, created by my Goddess as her left hand. Wrongs that needed to be righted were my tasks, ever the tip of the spear, the Sheppard of fire, Redeemer, Herald, all have been used to describe me. I usually walked among the beings here disguised, carrying out whatever task my Goddess had given but slowly those tasks became warped by the church. The high priest craved power and sought to usurp others. I was sent to put him down. That is the last thing I remember before awakening in her temple.} Kaya notices a sadness cross his visage before he sees her looking at him and abruptly changes it.

{You echo sentiments similar to the politician and seem to feel the same, something must be done but neither know what it is. I guess that may be a tad false regarding the politician, she believes the upcoming talks will somehow help, and that continued talking over perhaps decades or even centuries will help.} Almost musing to himself, or as if he was talking to someone else perhaps, he forgot to not broadcast this next bit. {Perhaps I am that change? Why awaken now?} Then more directly to Kaya {I believe the dismissal of Tesarion may have been a mistake, though I also believe The Lady Askarda would likely not admit it. I also do not believe talking about it will change anything. As for my views on slavery, you may have guessed them by now, it needs to end.}
    Kaya gives a soft, almost sad chuckle as she fingers the Peacekeeper emblem. {Those duties sound familiar... I may not have a divine mandate as you do, but Master Raphael, nor do I know the extent of your power, but still I would advise caution. The Empire likes to resist change, and when change is attempted to be forced upon it, it tends to respond with force. I am not the Empire's only agent, nor it's only sword...
    Might you be able to secure admittance to the upcoming summit? If you are able, I would recommend that you wait to see its outcome at the very least, before you decide on a course of action.}
    {Again I am no master. I do intend caution. My...zealousness for the end of slavery has not clouded my judgement so much as to think I can take on an entire empire by myself. First I would need an army. And I would very much like to witness this summit. The Lady Askarda has offered to help me attend by becoming her bodyguard. I understand it is upon an island called Dorn or Dorn's Rest? Do you know it?}
    {You may not be a master, Raphael, but I am ever a servant. As for Dorn's Rest, I know little of the place. Of it's people, it is home to one Adrianna Gaulstaff, a healer with notably strong anti-slavery views. It is also home to a religion whose dogma is that all should be free to act as they see fit, and the rumors are that they are particularly fierce in the belief that no one may tell another what to do.}
    Kaya shifts her cloak, again glancing at its emblem and grins, {I expect they will warmly welcome me into their midst with open arms.}
    {Curious, I wonder why they would have a summit there and not a more neutral spot? More politics I assume.} Shifting his focus to Kaya's cloak and symbol he says {It is strangely reminiscent of the symbol the templars from the church I knew used.}

Again he seems to pause having a conversation with someone else before addressing her {Should I perhaps go in disguise?} A grin touching his features {My presence seems to inspire people to speak out where they once may not have.} As if answering his own question, {No, I will go as this, perhaps someone will indeed speak out.}
    Kaya bows politely to Raphael and says in Common, "It has been lovely to make your acquaintance.

Perhaps we will have the opportunity to speak again soon. But for now, I have had enough of crowds, and would like nothing more than to feel the wind in my hair. A pleasant day to you, Master Raphael.
    "
    She turns and begins to make her way through the crowd, then pauses and half turns to look at Raphael over her shoulder. "And who knows, maybe next time I'll even tell you my name." she says in Celestial with a wink and a mischievous grin, then continues to make her way through the crowd.
    Day of Departure

Raphael shows up at Lady Askarda's ship and awaits her at the bottom of the gangplank, much to the chagrin of the security there, ready to escort her as her bodyguard to the summit.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2017-07-03 at 11:56 AM.
    I like the globe warm...