New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Slaves in the Empire of the Drowning Sun [IC]

Kaya watches the serpent sink, then moves to recover her discarded cloaked on p from the deck. As she kneels to pick it up, her halo fades away. She replaces the cloak as she stands, observing the cheering from the sailors on the deck for a moment before returning to the aft of the ship.

She turns in acknowledgement of Erwin's arrival, inclining her head courteously, noting as she turns the uneasy sailor as well as Justinian's disappearance and pursuit. At the captain's interruption, Kaya nods solemnly. "I am sorry for your losses, Captain. However,
    I feel I should congratulate you and your crew, for I feel our efforts to keep the beast at Bay would have been for naught, we're it not for you managing to return us to the Anchor's Path.
    "

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Kaya reverts back to her Formless Dance stance as she retrieves her cloak.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

The Captain shakes his head.
    "I'm sure you did your best lad- er, sir. I've nought an idea what could summon something like that. Never heard of a mage summoning something so elusive or that large. As for getting to the Path," he turns to Kaya, "dodging pirates in local waters was easier than this. At least they couldn't completely shove me completely off course."

Justinian's target doesn't notice a thing even though they take great pains to avoid anyone on their way to one of the rooms. He stops in front of one of the private rooms, reserved for the representatives and entourage. Still glancing about nervously, they try to open the door but it seems to have been locked. They quickly take out a knife and begin trying to forcibly pry the door open, using the knife as a lever, still glancing about as if expecting someone to jump out any second.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2017-08-16 at 01:48 PM.
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Jormindrill

Back aboard and away from big harmful beasties, Jormindrill is happily singing to himself "Back aboard the ship, the ship rests on the sea, hauling down the anchor, from A to B~." He sees the twitchy sailor, and his 'captain' follow afterwords, he keeps an eye out for any further followers before heading down towards where they went saying, "A fight so shortly after a meal is so bad on the digestion... guess it's time for a lie-down."

With that, Jormindrill heads for his room, though he keeps his ears out for any scuffles on the way.

Spoiler: Perception
    Show
    (1d20+20)[25] If Jormindrill hears Justinian and or the sneaky sailor he will go there as well,
    but he didn't make an effort to immediately follow so he likely can't follow afterward easily.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nodding to the Captain, "Any name will work Captain but please don't call me sir. I try to work for a living as well. If you have wounded I can see to them."

Taking a step or two away so as not to infringe on the Captain any more than is needed he mentally tries to contact Justinian having noted his pursuit of the shifty sailor. {Is everything well, Protector?}
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

5. - Top - End - #125

"I feel it was impressive sailing nonetheless, Captain." Kaya says with a smile. "Now if you will excuse me, I should see to Lady Fellspark. Oh dear, and I dread to think of the state of our room if any of our luggage came loose on account of the creature's knocking the ship about. I imagine there is a solid chance that I will be straightening up our room for a time, please call on me if I am needed." With a polite bow to those present, Kaya makes her way back to the captain's quarters to check on Lady Fellspark before heading down to their shared room.
    Last edited by nolongerchaos; 2017-08-20 at 06:59 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

The captain nods in acknowledgement before he goes back to restoring order.
    Whether it was because he was distracted or was ignoring Raphael, he couldn't be sure. He does not respond.

The sailor stops in their attempt at breaking into the room to quickly hide around the corner as Kaya comes around the corner. They stow the knife and try their best to keep out of sight.
    Jormindrill comes just in time to bump into Kaya.

As Kaya approaches Lady Fellspark's door, her voice can be heard coming through the closed door.
    "-said nothing was supposed to happen! How do you explain a sea serpent appearing? Much less capable of detecting and attacking a ship along the Anchor's Path?"
    "..."
    "Don't give me excuses. I only came because we had an agreement."
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Shrugging to himself as the Captain carries on with his duties Raphael moves about the deck of the ship looking for any sailors that might need assistance or aid. As he does the mysterious shadow rejoins him and drapes itself back over his shoulders. If he finds any he will help them and once finished take up his usual spot on the bow, as far forward as he can manage. Whether this is a reflection of his past from always being at the forefront of battles, leading charges etc, or just a preference to feel the salt spray who can tell.

We could have taken the worm. Yes, yes, likely so, but that is not our purpose. You have no purpose now that she is gone fool! True, but do you really think killing sea creatures is a task we need take up? Bah!

Raphael remains at the bow if/until someone needs his help. If not he will be found still there the next morning.
    I like the globe warm...

8. - Top - End - #128

Justinian

Invisible to eyesight, Justinian lurks out of the way, still observing the sailor while he tries to remember who's staying in the cabin the sailor seems determined to break into - and only narrowly manages to avoid being caught by Jorm and Kaya as they bump into one another.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

Jormindrill

Bumping into Kaya, Jormindrill apologizes, "Oops, sorry about that miss... (It's rude to bump into someone that's why I apologized... Well she's of a higher status so she doesn't have to... Oh quiet you I don't know why I bother.)" Hearing the muttering from behind the door, Jormindrill says, "Best see to Miss Fellspark. Seems the excitement just now put a fright in her, which reminds me to go check and see if the cap'n made it back to the cabin alright."

Jormindrill then heads in the direction of his and Justinian's quarters.

10. - Top - End - #130

Though visibly surprised to see him, Kaya gives Jormindrill a courteous nod and a polite bow. "There is no need to apologise to me, good master. I should have been paying closer attention. Lost in thought after the sea monster, I suppose."

She waits for Jormindrill to leave before raising her hand to knock on the door. She hesitates for a moment, hand outstretched, considering, then knocks. " Mistress Fellspark? Is there any way I may be of service?" she asks through the door, not wishing to disrupt Lady Fellspark's privacy.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Justinian can recall that the particular cabin that was being broken into was the one assigned to Erwin. Though it should have been laughably easy to forcibly break into them, knowing that the locks are little more than simple padlocks nailed into the wall and the one on Erwin's was missing.

There is a pause inside and then-
    "Yes, come in. I'll talk to you later."
    Upon opening the door, Lady Fellspark can be seen rubbing her temples in frustration.
    "I suppose you heard my... displeasure. I sought the aid of a friend who dabbles a bit in fortunes and they guaranteed nothing but safe travels and fair winds."
    She smirks mirthlessly.
    "Next time I should take my own ship if I can ever get one with an Imperial Tether like this one does."

Spoiler: Knowledge (Arcana) or Profession (Sailor)
    Show
    Spoiler: DC 15
    Show
    Imperial Tethers are man-sized magic items in the shape of a disc that allow a ship to find and navigate in the safety of the Anchor's Path. These are issued by the Empire and crafting such an item tends to be outside of any individual's capabilities, though independently-crafted Tethers aren't entirely unheard of.

Spoiler: Night (Kaya)
    Show
    As night descends and Kaya takes up her usual guard position, Erwin finds her.
    "I can't say much but I have to tell you that I know what brought the sea serpent."
    He leads her down to the hold where it was unlikely they were to be heard.
    Spoiler: If she follows
    Show
    "The beast was brought by an artifact known as Leviathan's Call. It attracts whatever creature is nearby despite the Anchors and the Paths. If this were to be spoken of publicly it would cause a panic."
    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show
    Spoiler: DC 18
    Show
    Kaya can tell he's not explaining everything he knows. However, it's a Peacekeeper in question.

Later
    The rest of the trip to Dorn's rest is uneventful, no further break-in attempts are made and the ship remains unmolested.
    Arriving at Dorn's Rest, the abundance of trees is quite obvious as even the coastline has massive sycamores clinging to the sheer cliff face. The dock itself floats on the water, connected to the high ledge by a series of ramps cut into the stone, cleverly weaving through the protruding roots of the massive trees without damaging them.
    A few other ships are moored to the docks, none as large as the Wavehopper but they too boast a few cannons of their own.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

12. - Top - End - #132

Spoiler: Night
    Show
    After following Erwin and hearing what he has to say, Kaya tilts her head slightly. "I appreciate your informing me, Master Erwin. I can tell you still withhold information, but I will not pry further than to ask if you could describe it for me, so that I might be able to recognize what I'm dealing with should I ever personally encounter such a device."

On the day after the serpent's attack, Kaya approaches Raphael at his spot on the bow.

"Fair morning to you, Master Raphael. I hope the breezes find you well.

... I apologise for my directness, but our encounter with the sea creature yesterday showed me that I know even less about you than I had thought. May I be permitted to inquire as to the nature of... of what I think I observed?
    "

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Raphael smiles as Kaya approaches, the voice in his head screaming warnings about attacks from behind, "Fair morn to you as well Mistress. You may indeed ask of me anything you wish." He turns from the bow so he is standing directly in front of her looking down and holds up a hand to halt any protest, "I know you have said it is your nature to address me as master but I truly wish to be no one's master."

Harumph, say that to me why don't you. Shhhhh, the lady is speaking.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2017-08-24 at 01:22 PM.
    I like the globe warm...

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Dorn's Rest
    It's been nearly a week since you've arrived at Dorn's Rest from the various parts of the world, many of the rumors about the local slavery policy have proven to be true. No one is considered to be a slave and slave-made goods are nearly impossible to come by. Unfortunately, a few seem to have been exaggerated concerning a utopian government. The law tends to espouse freedom but has little power to enforce Imperial laws due to a rather small military presence.
    However, Lady Gaulstaff's word is considered law, if not greater. She goes about visiting various people, mostly healing but on occasion for recreation at one of her many friends' homes. She has always made it a point to visit everyone at least once, though her duties as a healer and an ecclesiastical leader tend to restrict it to a mere greeting.
    The majority of the buildings stay true to the original Elven architecture, blending with the trees in an artistic fashion. The center of the island is the resting place of the island's Anchor, a truly massive pillar that nearly reaches the tops of the trees, it is etched with countless markings and multiple protrusions that stretch upwards in a spiraling fashion.
    At noon, word comes to everyone that a ship has been spotted coming from the Bor'Salla Path. A few people even speculate that it must have been attacked by pirates as tales abound ranging from a creaking wreck of a boat to a regal ship proudly bearing fresh battle scars.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Āita Halla

It had been a relatively peaceful and elucidating week for the diminutive, pale-skinned creature that some of the inhabitants of Dorn's Rest have come to call 'The Winter Witch', although it is a title that does her little justice. Āita has spent her time speaking to others on a similar path to hers, the teahouses of the island often visited by the image of this three-foot tall woman, desiccated stave in hand. In particular, the Wyvveran Shaman, Salvos, had had a rather enjoyable conversation over tea.

Rumors abound of course, about this more unusual addition to the populace - even here, Uldra are rare, and an Uldra of evident strength and power even moreso. Some say she has the power to freeze the entire island like a sudden frost, while others speak of her as being many times older than even the eldest of the elves. These rumors are, naturally, false, though it's notable that Āita doesn't spend much effort dissuading them. She has also spoken to any local druids, curious as to how the elven traditions of druidry are being carried out here.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show
    In case a diplo check is required to gracefully share knowledge with local Druids (1d20+9)[26]

Also probably relevant here, she would not have sought out Lady Gaulstaff personally, but should she have approached Āita, the Uldra would have been polite and curious as to the Lady's feelings.

When the ship arrives, Āita was meditating quietly atop one of the cliff-faces, and so saw the ship as it approached, a gentle smile touching her features as she focused on it. On a whim, she throws herself forwards off the cliff, allowing herself to change in shape, a Snow-feathered owl stretching her wings and soaring out to turn over the boat from about the cliff-height above, peering down through ice-blue eyes to inspect the ship, curiosity overtaking her. She moves out ahead of the ship, flitting through the air to land on the corner of a dockside building, still in owl form, to watch the arrival.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    4 Wild Shape uses left today.
    Last edited by Genth; 2017-08-24 at 11:51 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Lizardfolk

Salvos arrived at this quiet island with little fanfare, quickly securing accomodation and discreetly scouting the island. A 6'6" lizardman draws more than a little attention (not all of it friendly), but he politely questions the natives about their life on the island, keeping his thoughts inscrutable behind cold reptilian eyes and pursed lips - He is very much aware that a smile on his face looks more terrifying than endearing. He acquaints himself with the Uldra druid in short order, taking away a few observations about the diminutive woman.

Inquisitive and friendly, thought suprisingly naive about the ways of the world for her age. One would think the turn of two centuries would make one jaded and cynical. So be it.

Spoiler: Gathering information and observations.
    Show
    Where he can, Salvos will try to tease out information about the residents' opinion on slavery, and how they can act in what appears to be defiance to the Imperial stance of non-human slavery. Diplomacy: (1d20+16)[31] In addition he will observe town features, most notably the Anchor. Perception (1d20+23)[29]

Few soldiers. Fewer military ships. How do they defend themselves from outside assault? Perhaps this Lady Gaulstaff can share some insights, though I doubt she is involved with its defense.

Salvos pain-stakingly writes a formal request for a meeting with Lady Gaulstaff, sealed with wax and delivered to her door. On his way back to his residence he notices the sail on the horizon, and takes note of the furor it inspires in the locals.
    Last edited by Quantumphear; 2017-08-25 at 01:02 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Jormindrill

Spoiler: Vestige Checks:
    Show
    Dantalion DC 25: (1d20+18)[36]
    Nabarious DC 15: (1d20+18)[31] (Auto Passes)

Jormindrill begins his day aboard the ship much like the other days, by binding his vestiges. Though of particular note to Justinian, he opts to bind a different vestige after the usual one whom he never fails to get the upper hand of. This vestige appears to be a massive 10ft tall monarch with a crown upon his head, a rather massive head considering it holds 12 different faces, young and old, male and female.

That completed, Jormindrill returns to his disguise as a crewman and says, "Looks as though we will arrive soon. Remind me to show you the sights, this Isle could be considered my stomping grounds."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If I fail in the Dantalion binding check, Justinian must make a Will save against a DC 22 or have your thoughts read. Should be easy enough to pass, just don't roll a 1, also remember that this is only if I fail the Binding check for Dantalion above.Passed the check so no need to worry, your thoughts are safe.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2017-08-25 at 01:57 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Oromus, Mercenary Slave
    It had been two weeks since the pair left the stables. Oromus and his handler, Jaden Matthews, came to Dorn's Rest to hope onto another boat that might take them to the summit. Jaden had been trying to sell Oromus' services since they got there, but no takers. He was convinced that when he brought the Centaur to the Summit, someone of note would see him and would immediately want him for their bodyguard. Oromus' name is of note in many high-ranking circles, and some low ones. People pay for his services to do many different things......not all of which are dignified.

Normally Oromus puts up quite a fight to go away from the stable with a handler. He usually prefers it if someone comes to find him so he doesn't have to spend as much time with his masters. However, this was a little different. He had heard of the summit....the summit to talk about the end of slavery. Every slave had heard whispers of it. He thought a lot about it, and he hoped beyond hope that this was the chance for his people to finally break free of their chains and live free in the wild once more. So when his masters needed him to go on a journey with Jaden to the summit, he didn't put up a fuss. He just willingly went with Jaden because he wanted to find out as much as possible about what was going on with the government, and the church that was heading this summit.

A ship finally came into port, about a week after they had come to Dorn's Rest. It was headed to the summit, so Jaden immediately booked passage. He and Oromus went on board and found a place for him and the centaur. Being as big as he was, Oromus decided just to stay on the deck, as out of the way as he could, as he wouldn't be fitting int he cabins very easily. Jaden went to work finding out of any influential people were on board and asking them if the needed services of a bodyguard.

Oromus pretty much just stood on the side of the ship, waiting for it to leave, hoping that somehow this summit was going to help his people.

When you see him from a distance, he doesn't look too imposing, honestly. Just looks like a normal horse-man. But the closer you get to him the taller he grows. His horse-hair is colored a dapple-gray, gray circles that are on top of a blue-ish base color. His feathering at the bottom of his legs, near his hooves, are white and quite long. His horse body is stouter than most, but he doesn't seem taller than most. His tail hangs long and low to the ground, and his a mix of the white of his leg's feathers, and the brown-blonde color that is the long hair on his head. He doesn't wear a shirt, and obviously not pants, but his breastplate covers his chest and more vulnerable places. Though his arms are bare, and quite tight with muscles. He had a beard that is the same coloring of his hair, with just a hint of red in it....with the right light. A quiver of arrows stretches across his back, with a bow strapped over his body. A very large sword swings from his back, and hangs down by his body.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2017-08-28 at 11:31 AM.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Going to add the conversations with Raph had while on the ship. With anyone that wanted to talk to him.

Spoiler: Conversations at the rail
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by nolongerchaos View Post
    Kaya nods slightly at Raphael's request. "I... do not generally make exceptions for honorifics. Not since becoming a Peacekeeper. But I suppose since you predate the rise of the Empire itself, and are not and have never been its citizen, so, technically, I suppose I do not serve you. It is not a particularly strong case, but I suppose, at your request, I will endeavor not to use that honorific for you."

After a moment, Kaya shakes her head, chuckling to herself softly, as if deriding herself. "I am allowing myself to be distracted. Yesterday. Right. While conversing with Mistress Askarda after the serpent's arrival, you spoke in my mind using a voice that was... different from the one I am familiar with. Reflecting back, I believe I heard you use that voice in the Council-hall, but since you were newly awoken and things were... tense... at the time, I didn't think anything of it then. But then you used that voice again to threaten the serpent. As I know relatively little of you, I'm unsure the proper question to ask about it: who, or what, or how, or whence...?" She turns and leans against the railings, looking up at Raphael with a look of interest, with just a hint of puzzlement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    Raphael smiles down at Kaya in acknowledgement of her willingness to drop the title. "Straight to the heart of the matter, I knew I liked you." After a pause long enough to make her think he wasn't going to answer, "The "other" voice you hear is part of my nature, part of the duality of me. To my knowledge I am a singular being created by my goddess as her right hand and enforcer. I am an....amalgamation..." the word comes out as almost a curse "of two beings. Angel and devil, to be simplistic about it. The other voice is the more violent, vengeful side of me."

He seems to stop there abruptly, leaning on the rail as Kaya is, staring out at the sea.
    Kaya nods as Raphael finishes his explanation. "Though I'm not at all familiar with what you're talking about, I think I understand what you mean. I am sorry though, I can tell this really isn't something you like talking about. We can talk about something else if you'd prefer."
    "No, it is fine. It is just me still getting used to being gone for so long. I simply recall a time when if I had appeared in this form there would have been no question who or what I was." He turns and leans sideways on the rail looking at her. Perhaps it was a phenomena of what he was but even with pupilless eyes you could tell where he was looking. Why are you telling your secrets? She will just use them against you like the last one. This one is different. We shall see.
    Kaya ponders Raphael's words for a moment, her expression somber. "Yes, I can scarcely imagine what that must be like for you. Whatever the case, I think I've caused enough discomfort for today. Perhaps we can continue this another time, M—" She cuts herself off and closes her eyes, shaking her head and chuckling softly to herself. "That is going to take some getting used to..." She looks back up at Raphael and smiles, giving him a small bow. "Perhaps we can continue this another time, Raphael."
    "Leaving so soon? And here I thought I was about to endure the Empire's own interrogation." His smile let's Kaya know that this was merely a jest and nothing serious, then his face grows somber again. "You have caused me no discomfort, in fact talking with you causes quite the opposite effect. If you are sure you have no more questions about me then I shall endeavor to persevere your absence." He turns back towards the sea, wings tucked in tight, that strange shadow-like cloak moving not quite with the breeze.

Last edited by Lioslaith; 2017-08-28 at 01:17 PM.
    I like the globe warm...

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Kaya (night)
    Show
    Erwin only smiles wanly.
    "That is our way is it not? Information can cut quite deeply if applied correctly. As for Leviathan's Call, all I can say is that you need not worry yourself about it. Just know that this shouldn't have happened."
    It seems the conversation is over as he silently leaves.
    Shortly afterwards a small thud is heard as she hears Erwin struggling to stifle a string of curses. It did lend a dose of doubt as to how competent of a Peacekeeper he could possibly be.

The ship neatly slips into the floating docks with the sailors practicing an ease that comes only from long years of seafaring.
    Captain Gregor grunts in satisfaction as the Wavehopper is quickly secured.
    "We're half a day late thanks to that oversized eel back there. However, it's a good thing that they give us a few days in between each selection in case something unexpected comes up. They should be starting in about two days time so you can spend that time relaxing."
    He grumbles a bit at this.
    "Not like me or mine are likely to get any rest what with the repairs we'll need to finish and putting our dead to rest."
    In the distance, a small entourage can be seen moving down the cliff face towards the docks.
    After a short amount of time, a woman and four hooded figures stand at a respectful distance to greet the newcomers.
    "Welcome friends and honored guests. I am Adrianna Gaulstaff, speaker for the Gathering of Dorn. I am glad you have arrived safely. We were expecting you yesterday night and began to fear the worst."
    Lady Gaulstaff is dressed in an embroidered robe of excellent make that accentuates a beauty that one could only define as angelic and her countenance practically glows as she smiles and makes a few strange and complex gestures.
    "I and those on this island are honored to welcome you to Dorn's Rest. Here, there is no slavery and all are free. The Empire has no power here to force you to do anything should any of you wish to remain with us."

Spoiler: Knowledge (Religion)
    Show
    Show
    The gestures are a traditional token of peace and tranquility that are used within the Gathering and tend to vary in complexity depending on how sincere it is intended to be. The Gathering is growing in popularity with their teachings expounding freedom and the evils of restricting another being's agency.

Spoiler: Knowledge (Arcana)
    Show
    Show
    The gestures are the beginnings of a spell of some sort but they suddenly end. It is rather akin to someone starting a sentence only to trail off without providing any clear direction of what they intended to communicate.

Lady Gaulstaff does not linger as she and the others return to their duties.
    The living arrangements are quickly made and the representatives and escorts are assigned to a boarding house of the Gathering of Dorn located nearer to the cliff facing the docks. The building and rooms are obviously Elven in origin but the furnishings are of varying origins that still seem to fit together despite the differing styles.
    The caretaker of the boarding home assures those inside that they need but ask for whatever they wanted before they depart to their own labors.

Oromus is a strange sight aboard the Wavehopper, it being made to accommodate human-sized passengers not horses or similarly sized beings.
    A stout man with an air of authority walks up to Oromus, needing to look up to address him.
    "What would you be needing here? I wasn't expecting to take on anyone so soon. Nor am I planning on moving for a while yet."
    He waves towards the gaping hole in the ship's side to emphasize his point.
    Jaden's inquiries to anyone needing his services prove fruitless.
    "I'm sorry to tell you this but they're already up there probably getting the royal treatment."
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2017-08-29 at 08:53 AM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The snowy owl tilts her head at Lady Gaulstaff, hooting softly at the gestures with blue eyes sparkling. She shuffles her talons slightly on the edge of the building, feathers plumping up a little as she observes her (hopefully) soon-to-be fellow representatives come up on land, the winged creature catching her eyes in particular. Only one head and two wings, but still... she ponders to herself, only just noticing when the Lady Gaulstaff leaves, and waiting for a few moments more before setting off once again, briefly swooping down to land upon a Wyverann's shoulder and playfully snap her beak at him, blue eyes glinting before swooping up and away, towards the cliff-face and the boarding house, to await the arrival of these intriguing people, chosen to speak on the matter of slavery. She lands upon the entrance to the boarding house, staring down in full view of the arriving visitors.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Oromus, Mercenary Slave
    As Uldra flies around, she sees another little owl that is soaring through the sky as well. He seems to stare at her for a long while, looking quite grumpy, and if she does try to fly over to him, he turns away and flies off from her. Eventually she sees the grumpy owl land on the shoulder of a centaur that is on the ship. He rubs the owl's cheek and feeds it a little piece of something.

As the large man speaks at Oromus, a little owl lands on his shoulder, and he gives it some meat and pets him. Oromus then looks down at the "large" man, a deep and silky voice flowing from him, "Me? I am needing nothing. My handler is here looking to sell my services. I am merely along for the ride." Oromus lifts his large, muscular arm over the man's head and points in the direction of Jaden, who seems to be having a conversation with the Captain, most likely getting passage to the summit. When the man is done, Jaden walks back over to the centaur, "The captain tells me most of the representatives are off-ship at the moment. Maybe we can find one that needs a bodyguard, hmmm?" Jaden snaps his thin fingers and starts to walk off. Oromus lets out a little sigh and walks after the man, to the island. Looking at the pair, you immediately know Oromus isn't there of his won volition. This type of pairing is seen all too often. There is a human, generally a thin, rat-looking man walking around as though he owns the place. And a slightly defeated looking.....something......walking next to them.

So off the pair went, Jaden looking to make some money, and Oromus looking to just survive.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2017-08-29 at 09:03 AM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Disembarking the ship, Raphael watches the crowd for any signs of hostility, old habits died hard it seems. He follows along with the rest of the procession to ascend the stairs. I wonder whom the representative from the free island will be? No....nope....no, no, no, that kind of attention is not needed.

Shrugging to himself as if adjusting his wings or cloak he begins his ascent of the stairs and finds himself looking for Kaya as well.
    I like the globe warm...

24. - Top - End - #144

Kaya makes her way off the boat beside Lady Fellspark, he familiar cloak covering her armor. She casually observes the crowd quietly, and if she noted the looks of hatred and disgust on a few of their faces reserved especially for her, she doesn't seem bothered. In truth she seems more interested in the geography of the island and its architecture than she is in it's inhabitants. She quietly observes Gaulstaff's introduction without comment, and allows herself to be led to her accommodations. After ensuring that everything has been taken care of, Kaya approaches the boardinghouse caretaker. "Your pardon, Mistress Caretaker. If it's not too much to ask, is there any public place nearby with an elevated view of the island? I enjoy seeing the various islands, but I'd prefer not to accidentally trespass on someone's private property."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Kaya will take a 10 on Knowledge Local to determine Gaulstaff's race, for a result of 35.
    She will also use Vatic Gaze to make a Sense Motive - (1d20+17)[18] check (DC 5+Gaulstaff's caster level) to determine the highest level spell she can cast.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

The hopeful handler and the begrudging mercenary do manage to find the boarding house the representatives have taken to. A snowy owl is hanging about. Definitely not from around these parts if one knew even a bit about animals.
    It seems some other individuals have also taken an interest in the new arrivals. A good number of people of all kinds have shown up to gawk and gossip about the representatives... or at least Raphael.

During the short meeting Kaya had with Lady Gaulstaff, she can easily tell that she is Human and has enough magical capacity to carry out the miracles she supposedly brings to pass. Though she's confident they are weaker than her own.

Spoiler: In layman's terms
    Show
    Human that can cast up to 4th level spells.

The caretaker pauses in her duties and puts a finger to her lips as if thinking.
    "I'm not sure about public but the best place might be the Anchor itself. The Imperial garrison here doesn't much like anyone getting near it but I think you would be fine. It's got the clearest view but I don't think you'll see too far even from there. Might be a bit of a climb though."
    With that she leaves before any further questions can be asked.
    Last edited by Tsunamiatunzen1; 2017-08-30 at 12:46 AM.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

26. - Top - End - #146

Lizardfolk

Beyond the gawking crowd Salvos sits in a faded green cloak and a curious mask of bone and feathers, perched on a mossy stone and whittling a piece of wood into an unrecognizable form. He pauses at the sight of the mercenary and his broker, reptilian eyes taking in the sight of the thin man extolling the virtues and strength of the clearly uncomfortable centaur.

Once the crowd disperses, Salvos rises, dusting off his clothes before loping over.

"You. Jared- "

"Jaden, at your ser-"

"I am Salvos, representative of the Wyvaran nation and the scaled peoples thereof. I require a manservant until the conclusion of the summit. Your creature will suffice. I can authorise payment to be made in raw goods or slaves, presumably delivered to whomever you represent."

The haggling begins...

Spoiler: Diplomacy - Haggling with Jaden
    Show
    (1d20+16)[21]
    Last edited by Quantumphear; 2017-08-30 at 03:00 AM.
    Oh geez, this should probably be meaningful or something.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Inside the boarding house Raphael makes a point to catch an attendant and make a request. "How does one procure an audience with Lady Gaulstaff, or at the least get a message to her that I wish to speak with her?" If/when the attendant leaves presumably to give the message Raphael then walks back outside to stand and watch the crowd watch him.

You risk too much. Too many have seen you. What risk is there? There is no mission, no purpose, no battle to fight, no war to win. Then your mind is made up? My mind yes, we will see what Gaulstaff has to say about it. The freedom here is palpable. As it should be. On that we agree.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2017-08-30 at 06:02 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Oromus, Mercenary Slave
    Oromus looks around the crowd, not paying attention to Jaden, or even the odd lizard-folk that is talking to him. Odd looking creatures didn't phase Oromus anymore, as he has seen all types of creatures in his travels. But as he scans the crowd he does notice two things. One, there was a very odd looking angel-demon.....thing.....standing about and looking at him odd. Oromus didn't know what to make of it, so he just continued to let his eyes wander and spotted an owl. A snowy, white owl that was definitely out of place for the area. Oromus calls to it, letting out a bird call (though not an owl) and raises his hand up to it, letting it see that it could perch on his hand if it so wanted.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Post Employment negotiations.

Raphael spots the centaur and his actions, when they made eye contact he decided to brave the open. Making his way down the steps and through the lingering crowd he steps up to Oromus, extending his hand for a clasp. As Oromus extends his hand slowly Raphael clasps it in a traditional fashion Oromus likely thought he would never see again, forearms gripped nearly to the elbow. He also feels himself get pulled down and the two touch foreheads as he hears in Sylvan "Vedui' proud Ohtar. Amin elea lle. Ta naa an honor a' oment- lle."

Two things struck Oromus, the strength within the creature pulling him down and the greeting he thought long lost to the ages.

Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    Greetings proud warrior. I see you. It is an honor to meet you.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2017-08-30 at 09:50 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Oromus, Mercenary Slave
    As Jaden and the lizard-man haggled for a bit, Raphael approached. Oromus wasn't used to creatures just coming up to him and greeting him. And he definitely wasn't used to them greeting him in the old ways. They tended to be forbidden by the masters, as actions like that built too much culture between the centaurs. And therefore tended to lead to things like rebellions. The centaurs weren't the most passive of creatures.....

Then Oromus heard the Sylvan, which his people tended to save for each other, and was completely taken aback by what was going on. His hooves stomped up and down a bit, as if he were nervous or excited....maybe both. He immediately answered in Sylvan, <"I see you. Who.....what are you?"> Oromus wasn't intending to be rude, but all of this hitting him at once left him a little out of sorts.

Jaden's eyes lit up at the prospect of making a profit on his big horse, but he wasn't sure about this lizard-man. "Hmmm, yes. Well my slave here is one of the best in the Empire. Sought after by many and well tested in combat,
    as well as other...things. What do you have to offer for my slave?"
    Jaden liked to use the word "slave" around Oromus as much as he could. Just reminding him of his place.
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2017-08-30 at 10:06 AM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally