New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fire Emblem: Paladins (IC)

"When you know anything that could help me, I'll hear it." Velya replies, and decides to focus on the upcoming combat with Cassius. Getting a chance to study how one of their prominent Knights fight is not something she'll surrender easily, though she will split her attention between the match and the idiot who's flown a wyvern down to the royal box.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Avanindra smiles at the other man's contempt. If these are the quality of persons we might be arraigned against, I need not be worried. As he enters the field, the Quartermaster hails the crowd, takes position, bows deeply in the direction of the queen, then bows as deeply in the direction of his opponent. He mounts with the help of a squire (as he himself is not much of a rider), salutes his opponent again, and then the match is off!

Spoiler: The Joust!
    Show
    Duel Attack [Roll](4d3-6)[/roll]
    Ride Defense [Roll](4d3-8)[/roll]

If we tie and unhorse each other, then Avanindra will bait the man into attacking him on foot (assuming this works like Arthurian stuff and we keep fighting if both unhorsed). "Insofar as real knights go, we really look about the same, no?" When the man charges, Avanindra's stance changes to a stronger one.

Duel Attack [Roll](4d3-4)[/roll] (I will tag a "hot-headed" aspect on him if I can for free for guessing that about him, for an additional +2)
    Duel Defense [Roll](4d3-4)[/roll]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I go up to the queen and bow, trying to not look conspicuos.
    "My Queen, Sorry for the interruption... There is a problem. We wyvern knights cannot see anything from so far away. I do understand the need to look uncouspicous, that's why I'd like to improvise a "flying show" to be justified for getting close. Maybe even letting people fly on wyverns with a rider" I say, still bowing.
    °Thought no one will fly Fireclaw°

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Aurelia returns the smile, looking more than a little relieved. "Thank you, Ser Xozereth. I look forward to hearing your stories."

Before she can say anything else, though, her attention is drawn the same way as Velya's, as Avanindra and Cassius clash. Once again, the crack of breaking lances splits the air, and this time, both combatants tumble off their mounts, dust clouds flying up in their wake. However, when they clear, Ser Ateia is already on his feet with sword drawn, while Avanindra is still recovering from his landing. Closing the gap quickly, the Ralite knight raises his blade for a decisive strike, the quartermaster only just managing to bring his weapon up for a parry in time. Though he avoids being cut, the shock of the strike rattles Avanindra, loosening his grip on his sword.

Rolling aside, he manages to find his feet, turning to face his opponent. The two swords clash again, now seemingly even as neither gets through the other's guard. Cheers and boos fill the air, the Ralites managing to make themselves heard in Cassius' favor despite their much smaller number. The Court of Honor watch intently, waiting for someone to take the advantage.

Only Imogen seems not to be paying attention. "Alright," she says after an exasperated sigh. "Let's imagine we had the time for that. How exactly would it help? It wouldn't be much of a spectacle if it were going on through the whole tournament, at the same time as the other events, and if we put everything else on hold so people could watch you, you'd have maybe a few minutes of good visibility while you flew your formations and then back to high altitude." Though she's obviously frustrated, you get the sense it's less with you and more with the same problem you're having. "Is it really so impossible to keep watch from high up?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Avanindra is locked in combat with Ser Cassius. The tournament isn't meant to be to the death (though accidents do happen, of course), so this fight should only go until someone's stress track is full, no consequences.

Loric, now would be the time for an Etiquette or Provoke roll to convince the queen to let you fly lower.

5. - Top - End - #35

Despite all her focus, Velya's mind works in layers, just like everyone else's. The first tier of her mind is on disturbances, unusual activity, sudden movements - anything that could pose a threat to her current goal: Making sure nobody dies. The second was on more immediate circumstances, like that idiot and his drake, and Xozzy's conversation with Aurelia.

The third was on those fleeting thoughts just waiting for their chance to shine. Like, how she's enjoying that Queen Imogen is upset at somebody else's plan. Why there aren't a gaggle of Keepers to keep things under control, especially Asara, who's been gone for far too long? If so many prestigious Knights are here, at the tournament, then who's patrolling Cydonia?

There's a fourth layer, but "Breathe in", "Pump blood", and "Blink" make for terribly dull reading.

6. - Top - End - #36

As the two warriors clash swords in the arena, Xozereth manages to avert his gaze. The combat didn't interest him much to be honest and while his conversation with Lady Aurelia was pleasant, it had run its course.

He paused to listen in on what Loric and Queen Imogen were talking about, but once he understood the topic he knew he didn't have anything to add. So instead he turned his attention elsewhere.

He decided to take this time to look out among the crowd, he was interested in their reactions to the tournament but also wanted to be on watch for anything suspicious. An "exciting" event such as two warriors unhorsed would make it easy for someone to move unnoticed among the crowds.

Spoiler: NOTICE
    Show

Notice Roll: (4d3-7)[3]

Aiden "Talon" Wulf

Die Wölfe der Abfälle.----- Mercenary company in "Total War: Condottieri II"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Solka

Your Majesty, from that height it would take longer for me to reach the injured than if I were on the ground. Would you permit me to relocate my post?

8. - Top - End - #38

The crowd is swiftly on the edge of their seats as the knights clash, the air ringing as Avanindra picks up momentum, Cassius seeming to barely keep up with his rapid attacks. When he lets up for the moment it takes to offer his gallant salute, though, the Ralite seizes on the opportunity instantly, lunging for the break in his guard...but the feint pays off, the quartermaster easily anticipating and sidestepping the advance. In another second, the duel is over, Ser Ateia hopelessly off-balance and Avanindra holding him at swordpoint. Though the foreigner's face is obscured by his helmet, it's easy to imagine his scornful grimace as he throws down his own blade, more forcefully than he needs to. The cheering and applause of the larger crowd swells, while the Ralites' reactions range from carefully stoic to equally disgusted--whether at Avanindra for having won, or Cassius for having embarrassed them, it's hard to tell.

The queen, having glanced away from Loric and Solka for a moment at the sound of the duel's conclusion, deflates with an exhausted sigh. "...Fly as low as you need to. Gods, this had all better be worth the headache..."

The day heats up as the tournament goes on, the breeze dying off a little after noon. By the time the duels are concluded, combatants and spectators alike are sweating. Gerard ends up claiming the purse for the lists, to many cheers, though a few of the Ralites make it uncomfortably high up the ranks; the prize for the duels goes to Fleur Imeldis, of Silk Ford to the south. Finally, after the last of the competitors have had time to recover, re-arm, and re-mount, the melee begins. Gerard rides with the Paladins against the Ralites, the spirit of reconciliation apparently not all-powerful, with the rest of Cydonia's fighters split between teams to fill out the numbers. Though the Ralites fight with almost frightening aggression and cohesion, even with such uneasy allies, in the end, the lack of mages among their ranks proves their undoing. Kieran, Avanindra, and the handful of other practitioners among the Paladins manage to draw their last organized charge into an earthquake that unhorses most of those who were still mounted, and Kieran's counterattack seals their fate. In the end, it's he who kneels before Aurelia at the foot of the stands as she hands him the champion's prize.

As the sun begins to set, the festivities move from the tilt to the pavilions set up for the post-tournament banquet. Temindar has not disappointed--the spread is some of his finest work. Musicians from across the kingdom do their best to be heard above the celebration, well aware of the opportunity tonight presents for their reputations; Stitches earns enthusiastic applause from some truly impressive flips atop the high table, narrowly managing not to land in anyone's food. Gerard and Aurelia sit together at Imogen's side, looking nowhere but at each other.

Spoiler: Notice Overcome, difficulty 3
    Show
    Something seems...off about Aurelia. It's hard to put your finger on just what it is--perhaps she's just nervous around her husband-to-be--but once you've seen it, it's enough to nag at you.

9. - Top - End - #39

Taking a break from enjoying the food Xozereth decides to stretch his legs a bit while still keeping in close vicinity to the Queen and her entourage. That's when his thoughts click for him. He had been around Lady Aurelia for most of the day and she had not shown one ounce of nervousness or fright. But that has changed. It's subtle but something is bothering her and that bothered him.

Xozereth decided that despite it only being a nagging feeling, it would be better shared lest he not do his duty to Queen Imogen. So he attempts to catch Velya's eye and subtly motion to her to come speak to him. Hopefully without drawing excess attention.
    Last edited by SchwhatNow; 2017-07-01 at 11:54 PM.
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf

10. - Top - End - #40

Velya takes some small pride in the fact that the Ralites were defeated at the tournament. Not due to patriotic pride, but simply because she enjoys seeing them unseated. The fact that there has been no sabotage in the tournament, perhaps because nothing happened, perhaps because of the efforts of her and her Hollows, are much more worthy of note.

When the festivities arrive, Velya doesn't partake of the food, and nor do her Hollows. She instructs them, through Cresty, to scatter through the festivities and keep an eye out for anything unusual. If it's something that demands action, they are to take action. If not, they are to report to her or Cresty immediately. Her glowering over the happy people has to be paused, however, when Xozzy tries to get her attention.

Since he would not do so save for anything important, Velya slinks through the attendants and arrives at the man-dragon with a cocked eyebrow and pursed lips. She's not genuinely annoyed - yet - but people will believe she's just angry at somebody she frequently disagrees with, rather than the pair of them sharing secret correspondence. . "I can't help but notice that you were staring at me. What is wrong?"

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Solka

Normally he would be in the town proper by now, assisting the sick. Today he is suitably distracted by the glorious feast.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I take off on my wyvern, reaching my second, Asadi.
    "Ensign Asadi, we got the permission to fly lower, thought we should try to be uncouspicous. Rely the orders" I order him.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2017-07-02 at 06:32 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

As Velya approaches his gaze continues past her, focused on the table with Queen Imogen and the honored guests. "Have you noticed Lady Aurelia's nervousness? She was fine earlier, now she is like prey among predators. I fear she knows something, as in the Ralites might have something planned for us soon."

Xozereth pauses for effect before continuing. "You have good eyes, I would think it prudent to keep them on her and the knights close to her. Perhaps she will give away clues to their plan, if indeed that is the case. I can't say for certain that her unease is evidence of betrayal. But I have been asking myself if I were the Ralites, how would I best benefit from treachery here. I feel it good to share my thoughts with you now."

He speaks a bit quieter to prevent being overheard. "If Gerard falls, the royal line falls and war is declared in Queen Imogens grief. The Ralites could spin the news as an accident since this event is far enough from their home and convince the common folk to rally behind the war.

If Lady Aurelia falls, the Ralites could accuse Cydonia of treachery and declare war. By invoking the name of the beloved lady's death the nation would surge for revenge.

But also if Queen Imogen falls..."
    He manages to meet Velyas gaze before continuing. "Gerard would ascend the throne and would likely still want revenge, but rumors abound that he would be half the leader his mother is in many aspects. Rumors the Ralites may have heard. They might think to take advantage of his nature and provoke him to press into an ambush, or just rely on his inexperience to attempt to crush Cydonian forces swiftly."

He lets his last thought settle, to emphasize the fact that he hadn't considered the possiblity until now. Velya can notice, ever so subtly, that Xozereth is uncharacteristically uncomfortable with the possibilities before them. And that he seems uncertain of how to proceed.
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf

14. - Top - End - #44

"My Hollows will get eyes on the pair, and I'll have Cresty stick close. He's good at seeming unobtrusive. I will stick to Queen Imogen's side; she'll be more understanding of my presence than the couple." Velya's been thinking about this evening a fair bit. "You ought to strike up a conversation with the couple, talk about your wings and your dragon breath and whatever it is you do, for as long as possible. The Ralites aren't stupid enough to strike while a dragon sits right beside the couple, and you're socially oblivious enough for them to believe you're not noticing your cue to leave."

15. - Top - End - #45

Xozereth shifts a bit, uncomfortable at the idea of forcing small talk. But he knows the stakes here and, while the nations of the humans will inevitably rise and fall many times more during his lifetime, he did give his word to serve Queen Imogen. He will not go back on that word.

Deciding not to respond to the "socially oblivious" comment he sighs and replies. "I will do what I can."
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf

16. - Top - End - #46

Velya nods at Xozzy, then finds Cresty and informs him of their new plan to keep an eye on the couple, with him especially getting as discretely close as possible. Then, she slinks through the crowd to be by Queen Imogen's side.

17. - Top - End - #47

Xozereth waits a few moments after Velya leaves then proceeds to the noble couple, trying to think of what he could possibly talk about to stall for time.
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf

18. - Top - End - #48

As Xozereth and Velya hold their council, they both notice that one of Aurelia's guards, a few of whom still stand posted in full armor at the corners of the room alongside the Hollows, seems to be eyeing them, and with no apparent effort made to conceal the fact. When Xozereth breaks off to head toward the couple, the guard appears to give him a slight nod the next time their eyes meet, though it's a little hard to tell behind the visored helmet they wear. As the Manakete heads for the couple, the guard does the same, moving behind the backs of those seated at the high table. Though they don't appear to be hurrying, they outpace Xozereth by a few steps, stopping behind Aurelia. The girl breaks off her conversation with Gerard and gives her bodyguard a curious look; the guard bends down to whisper something in her ear. With all the noise of the feast, Xozereth is just a little too far away to catch it.

He's also too far away to stop the guard from bringing a knife to the noblewoman's throat. The next second, Aurelia has fallen forward over the table, the top of her gown staining red.

There's a second or two where the noise of the feast goes on uninterrupted. Then, somewhere at one of the other tables, another woman screams. More soon follow, the music and chatter screeching to a halt. Unperturbed, the guard reaches up with their free hand to pull their helmet off and cast it aside.

Beneath is the face of Ser Janine Laurel, a fanatical light in her eyes.

"CYDONIA REMEMBERS!" she cries out over the other voices, raising the hand clutching her bloody dagger in triumph. "DEATH TO RALIS! DEATH TO THE EMPI--"

She cuts off with a gurgle as Gerard's sword runs her through, down through the gap in her armor beneath her raised arm. A trickle of blood drips from her open mouth down her chin. As she falls limp, Gerard withdraws his blade, leaving her to fall with a clatter behind the table. He hardly spares her another glance, his eyes instantly turning to Aurelia, as pale and shocked as if he'd just had his own throat slit.

There's another second of shocked silence. Then, as one, every knight at the Ralites' table draws steel, leaping out of their seats and turning to face the rest of the banquet. Those carrying swords at the other tables are right behind them.

The Ralites are surrounded and badly outnumbered, but from the looks in their eyes, you can't be sure that'll stop them. This calls for some split-second action.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Your vassals are all present. The Ralites are formed up as one unit. Do what you will with that information.
    Last edited by Amaril; 2017-07-03 at 09:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Velya has many thoughts in the swiftly-ensuing chaos. The second is that Janine's fanaticism went deeper than she'd thought, and that it's something she'll have to keep an eye out for in the future. The third is that she's going to have to ensure that all of her Hollows report directly to her on why they were in no position to stop this from happening, and saw no way that it could. The first, naturally, is how she's going to resolve this horrible mess in as little time as possible.

First of all, she demands everyone's attention by igniting her ephemeral blade and striking it along the floor, sending up a shower of sparks and letting out a truly unpleasant sound. "Are we blind?! Her voice bellows surprisingly loudly for somebody so small. "Leaping to weapons as soon as something goes awry - as we all, I expect, expected? If any one of you had an intelligent bone in your bodies, you'd recognize this as the action of a lone fanatic, and that brawling in this situationdoes nothing but prevent our best healers from trying to save Aurelia's life!" She knows she needs to keep it as short as possible, so she tries her hardest to.

"Take a moment, all of you, and think. If you don't let our healers get to Aurelia, she will certainly die. If you defeat us, she will certainly die. If you die, which I will make certain of if you choose to fight, then she will certainly die! The only way anybody walks out of this alive if we stop acting like the ****ing fools Janine expects us to be!"

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    I don't know what Skill this would be, so I'm not going to change my roll, but you know my modifiers. I'm going to spend a Fate Point to invoke They Look Like People To You?, for +2,, as her speech relies on them believing that, yes, she'll kill all of them, viciously, if they choose to fight. I'd also like to invoke Trickster Commander of Marcoth, because her reputation as a keen and cunning general probably adds weight to her ability to notice intelligent courses of action in stressful situations, as well as recognizing human nature. I'll spend this on a re-roll, if the roll is terrible, or another +2 if not. ...so that'll be +4, for 2 Fate Points.

(4d3-8)[0] +4 = 4
    Last edited by Hazuki; 2017-07-03 at 10:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Xozereth's eyes go slightly wide as he watches the scene unfold. He hadn't considered that.

As Velya leaps into action Xozereth can barely turn away from Lady Aurelia's bleeding form to call for Solka, the closest healer he knows of. His voice wavers a bit as he yells out. "Solka! We need a healer!"

He looks to the Prince now holding Aurelia and looks genuinely sad. "Xsio. Marfedelom, tailuen wer cirau. Jilg shafaer munthrek." He says softly, but loud enough for those nearby to hear. Then to add to Velya's hostile negotiations, he nearly roars at the Ralites with their swords drawn. "If you attempt to stop the healer, I will personally show you how powerful a dragon can be."
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

"Please tell me this whole ordeal is going to end soon" I murmur while eating an apple trying to shrink away from people.
    °Sometimes I feel like I've got the wrong job, really. I should just take off by myself...° I think drowning in my thoughts until a scream takes me back to reality.
    Seeing Aurelia fall to the ground and the ralites take out their weapons I unsheat my lance moving towards them, while calling my men to take position in lines, at my sides and behind me.
    Wielding my lance and shield I wait out Velya's intimidation, ready to strike if needed.
    "If the Ralites don't seem to hear her out waste no second and follow me, we'll strike" I order them, eyeing the Ralites viciously.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Solka Starfire runs to the lady's side chanting as he goes. His left palm glows visibly white as he places it upon the lady's throat in an attempt to stem the flow of lifeblood. With his right, he readies a bandage.

23. - Top - End - #53

GnomeWizardGuy

Avanindra wants to rush to the Queen's side, but is afraid any further movement might usher in the storm. He turns to his second in command, a tall woman with elaborately pinned hair and a small ruby embedded in her forehead. It is her only adornment over her plain, serviceable clothing. "Tell me, Rajmira, what can you see?" She closes her eyes and touches the ruby while Avanindra keeps one hand on his blade and the other reaches toward the stone floor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Going to use Vassals to get a report about what is going on outside of this room. Rajmira's golems would be stationed in critical entry/exit positions, but it may take her a moment to cycle through all of them to get a look.

Vassals (4d3-5)[3]

Notice (4d3-8)[3] just to see if there is something we missed currently in the room

24. - Top - End - #54

Rajmira is silent for a moment. "Looks like everything's going on like normal outside," she finally says. "Nobody running away or nothin'. Nobody tryin' to get past the golems in 'ere, neither." Your own scan confirms what ahe says. Everyone in the pavilion seems fully occupied with the standoff, either bearing weapons or cowering behind someone who is. Nothing gives you any sign that anyone but Ser Laurel was prepared for this to happen.

"You dare make demands of us?" snarls a voice from the Ralite group--you recognize the speaker as Ser Ateia. "You heathens have spit on our good faith! Lady Aurelia never should've trusted you!" Despite his big talk, however, he and his men show no sign that they plan to attack first--it seems they at least understand that this is a fight they can't win.

"Calm down, damn it!" Imogen barks, rising from her seat. "Do you really think we'd be this stupid? Ser Laurel did this completely without my knowledge, against my commands!"

Even at this distance, Ateia's sneer is plain to see. "As if we'd believe you lying scum! I know that woman was one of your precious Paladins. And we're to think you knew nothing of this?"

"SHUT UP!"

Amazingly, Gerard actually manages to shock the room into silence. Bloodied sword in hand, he glares at the Ralites and his mother with the same fury--he's never looked more like her. Then it's gone, as he falls to his knees beside Aurelia's prone body, seeming to forget about everyone else in an instant. His eyes find Solka's, and all he can see in them is desperation. "Solka...you can save her, can't you? You can heal anything..." He takes Aurelia's hand. "It's alright...you're going to be fine. Ser Starfire's the best there is. He'll fix this..."

Aurelia's face is drawn and ashen, but her eyes are open wide, her lips working soundlessly as she stares up at Solka. It only takes a moment to realize that it's hopeless; she's slipping away faster than you can pull her back. The crowd holds its collective breath, but within a minute, she stops trying to speak, the light going out of her eyes.

The silence holds. Gerard looks at you pleadingly. Everyone is waiting on your word.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Solka
    Looks up from his work,
    I'm sorry he says, face clearly filled with sadness, she has lost too much blood. I have failed her, and you. I have failed us all.

26. - Top - End - #56

Xozereth's demeanor has returned to his usual calm. But it's easy to tell that he is saddened from the news.

"No, all of us have failed Ser Solka. It was our task to prevent something like this from happening, and yet we were betrayed from our own ranks."
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf

27. - Top - End - #57

Gerard's eyes well with new tears. He looks as though he wants to speak, to keep pleading, but no words come. After a moment, he simply hangs his head, his sword falling from his hand as he clutches Aurelia's like he's still trying to keep her from slipping away.

The silence holds for a long breath. Those of you watching the Ralite group see something surprising: looks of genuine distress passing between them. Ser Ateia is not among these, his glare toward Imogen not wavering.

The queen holds his gaze. "You heard Ser Xozereth. Be reasonable. This is not our doing."

Even at a distance, you can see the muscles in Cassius' jaw clench, his whole posture tensing as though about to attack. He relaxes quickly, but his glare has only darkened. "Lie all you like. The gods know what you've done. And so will His Majesty. You may kill us, but the word will reach him."

Imogen grimaces. "No one else is dying tonight. If you want to leave, you're all free to go. By all means, go home and tell Matthaeus what's happened here--that one of our own betrayed us out of blind hate, and we have all suffered a loss because of it."

She looks around at all of you, and the rest of the knights. The silent message is clear: 'Put away your swords and let them go.'

28. - Top - End - #58

Velya, having been unarmed the whole time, simply slips through the crowds to make eye contact with her Hollows and get them to comply with those orders, too. As she does so, she silently notes that Cassius is a foolish man whose patriotism overrides his common sense.

29. - Top - End - #59

Xozereth looks to Gerard. He wishes he could find words to convey his apologies to him, but none come to him.

That dark memory swirled to the surface of his thoughts. The memory of loss so long ago. He had barely known the Lady Aurelia, but she reminded him of her too much.
    Aiden "Talon" Wulf

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

"You heard the queen" I say, sheating my weapons as my men do the same.
    °So, was all of this just a big waste of time?° I think, looking at the Ralites.