New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Amigos SC

1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Three Amigos SC

You walk with Ruphus to the outer northern rim of Cauldron. Most of you have seen it before, but the temple still amazes you. The two-story Church of St. Cuthbert, its white marble walls suffused with veins of vivd blue, stands in stark contrast to the buildings of bare black stone that flank it on the north end of Obsidian Avenue. A pair of white marble statues depicting armored warriors stand on either side of the temple's heavy oaken door. Each statue raises a great mace to the darkening sky. Above the door's marble architrave are boldly inscribed the following words in Common: WITHIN LAW LIVES HOPE

Ruphus looks at you.

Thank you for your help tonight.
    Please come inside. With everything that has happened tonight and everything we have heard,
    I would suggest you speak with Jenya Urikas.
    She is in charge of this temple while the High Priest is gone. Please come in.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Feralas replies No thanks is needed for the help we rendered. We were just happy to be able to help.

Tahlas asks Where is the High Priest?
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

3. - Top - End - #33

BlueKnightGuy

Please come in out of the rain,
    and Jenya can answer any questions you have.

Ruphus and the group go inside. As Ruphus enters, another cleric approaches and tells him to report to Jenya.

Looking around you see a few clerics walking the massive temple. You also notice a large armored man patrolling the halls.

As you wait for Ruphus to return, two figures approach from somewhere deeper in the structure. A young woman with premature streaks of gray in her rich brown hair steps forward with her hand outstretched in friendship. She wears a brown robe with golden trim and the symbol of St. Cuthbert around her neck.

"Good evening. I have spoken to Ruphus and learned of his harrowing ordeal, as well as your remarkable heroism. I'm Jenya, the acting high priest. I am in your debt."
    Spoiler: Picture of Jenya
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34

WolfInSheepsClothing

Do you know why anyone would want you to stay away from the orphanage?

Excuse my little brother. My name is Feralas Augethiel and this is my brother Tahlas. These two fine gentlemen are Arlen and Arwen. We were happy to be at the right place at the right time to help. From my brothers words I hear there is quite a bit of unrest in the city as of late. Maybe you can help enlighten us as to what might be going on.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

5. - Top - End - #35

SwashbucklerGuy

Arlen adds.

We are grateful to be in a position to protect the innocent. I was sent here in the name of Heironeous by Captain Heronus to investigate the kidnappings happening in Cauldron. I believe our two deities must intend us to combine our efforts. How can we help search out the perpetrators? We learned a member of the Last Laugh named Jil ordered the attack on Ruphus. Perhaps we should start there?

6. - Top - End - #36

BlueKnightGuy

Jenya directs you into a chamber where a roaring fire warms the room.

"This will help you warm up and dry off. Ruphus told me about what the guard said. Unfortunately no one around here knows anything about where the Last Laugh conducts its business. So, I don't know how to help you there.

I do know that 4 children were kidnapped from the local orphanage 3 nights ago. Their names were Deakon, Evelyn, Lucinda, and Terrem. These children are the most recent victims in a series of strange disappearances and robberies.

The orphanage itself has two common bedchambers on the second floor - one for girls and one for the boys. Two children were taken from each room but none of the other children, or resident staff heard or saw anything.

What is even stranger is the orphanage has barred windows and excellent locks protecting its doors, not to mention that the children are locked in their rooms every night, to prevent any mischief from happening.

In the wake of the kidnappings, we at the Church of St. Cuthbert have publicly vowed to locate the missing children and bring the kidnappers to justice. This must have been why Ruphus was attacked.

To locate the children, I borrowed one of the churches most sacred treasures, the Star of Justice. It allowed me to cast divination and ask where the children were who were abducted from the Lantern Street Orphanage. Technically, only the high priest is supposed to use the mace, but I felt like, in his absence, I could use it. I am not in any way practiced in its magic so I don't really know what its message meant.

She hands you a piece of paper with the riddle given to her by the mace.

Star of Justice Divination Riddle
    (Look at the image before moving on)

I believe that the first line of the riddle holds an important clue. I don't know which locks the riddle refers to, but I would suspect that maybe the orphanage is the key to finding out.

You seem like good men, and I thank you so much for helping Ruphus. I believe that St. Cuthbert as guided you here for a reason. Would you be willing to help find the missing townfolk, and help us bring justice to these kidnappers?

I would be willing to give each of you a potion to help heal your wounds in battle, and the church would be willing to pay you 2500 gp once the townfolk have been found.

Updated map of Cauldron

7. - Top - End - #37

SwashbucklerGuy

Arlen responds.

I will be happy to assist in this noble undertaking.

8. - Top - End - #38

SwashbucklerGuy

Arwen responds.

I will help as well, if only to keep an eye on my brother.

9. - Top - End - #39

WolfInSheepsClothing

Obad-hai sent me to Cauldron for a reason, maybe this will help me find what that reason is.

I've been gathering information about these kidnappings already so Id be happy to help

10. - Top - End - #40

BlueKnightGuy

St. Cuthbert thanks you. It is late. Please feel free to use our rooms tonight.

You each rest in the church for the night, and feel at peace while doing it.

Spoiler: Feralas
    Show
    While in your meditative trance, you get a vision from Obad-Hai. You see Lightfoot playfully running around in a meadow. You also see a toad, riding on the back of Arlen's riding dog. It seems like the toad knows what he is doing. The three animals are playing with each other, and seem peaceful

When you wake in the morning, Jenya meets you at the front of the church and gives each of you a potion with St. Cuthbert's symbol emblazoned on the front
    Spoiler: All
    Show
    Each of you gets a potion of cure moderate wounds +5

Go and find the children. If you ever need anything, we will always be here to help.

11. - Top - End - #41

WolfInSheepsClothing

Feralas again thanks the priest and heads off with his new companions. I had a vision from Obad-hai last night. It seems like we should stick together for the time being. I feel like our meeting at the gates was not mere chance. Tahlas what was it you were telling me about having some information about these kidnappings.

You hear a lot of things when you ask around. I've heard things as wild as you there being a tentacled monster under the lake that is stealing the children but I think the most useful thing I've heard is that most of the locks from houses that were broken into came from a certain locksmith. The name is Keygan Ghelve.

12. - Top - End - #42

BlueKnightGuy

The four companions head to Ghelve's Locks

Updated Map of Cauldron

A small turret dominates the facade of this two-story black stone building. Iron bars are embedded in the thick window frames. The door is adorned with three intricate, unique locking mechanisms. Beyond the turret's ground-floor windows, you can see a lovely display of locks, from large to small, simple to complex. To the left of the turret, above the heavy oak door, swings a simple sign that reads GHELVE'S LOCKS.

You enter the building. This store front smells of wood and pipe smoke. Two padded chairs flank a hearth containing a small yet lively fire. The fireplace's carved mantle bears a tinderbox, a small vase of dried smoking leaves, and a finely wrought collection of pipes.

A burgundy strip of carpet leads from the entrance to the wall across from it, where you see dozens - perhaps hundreds - of keys hanging from tiny hooks. The keys come in all shapes and sizes.

A handsomely engraved mahogany counter stretches along one wall. Behind it hangs a red curtain that neatly hides the rest of the store. Behind the counter you see a 6'0 tall gnome with salt-and-pepper hair and a neatly trimmed mustache and goatee. His bushy eyebrows, creased face and graven frown make him look frumpy and dour.

Welcome to my business gentlemen. What may I help you with?

13. - Top - End - #43

WolfInSheepsClothing

Are you by any chance Keygan Ghelve? We had some questions about your locks and if you might could give us any clues as to how they are being bypassed in these recent kidnappings?

As his older brother is talking Tahlas makes his way around the room checking the wares but keeps an eye on the shop owner

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    As his brother is talking Tahlas will be rolling his Sense motive on the responses that Keygan gives. Sense motive +7. Feel free to roll them and let me know if he suspects anything fishy

14. - Top - End - #44

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bchilders View Post
    Are you by any chance Keygan Ghelve? We had some questions about your locks and if you might could give us any clues as to how they are being bypassed in these recent kidnappings?

As his older brother is talking Tahlas makes his way around the room checking the wares but keeps an eye on the shop owner

Show
    As his brother is talking Tahlas will be rolling his Sense motive on the responses that Keygan gives. Sense motive +7. Feel free to roll them and let me know if he suspects anything fishy
    I am Keygan Ghelve, hence the sign outside. As for my locks, you can ask me anything you want about my locks. I don't know what you are talking about as far as my locks and kidnappings.
    I provide locks to some people around this city, but I am not the only locksmith in town.

15. - Top - End - #45

SwashbucklerGuy

Arlen begins to detect evil.

I understand other lock smiths are in town. We are simply trying to find out how your locks are being circumvented in these kidnappings. The word on the street is your locks were on the home of each family that had a child kidnapped. This kind of news should hurt business. Surely you care about clearing your reputation and helping these innocents be brought home.

16. - Top - End - #46

BlueKnightGuy

I don't know who you have been talking to but your facts are wrong. The only children kidnapped were from the orphanage. Everyone else was older. I'm sure I provided locks to some of those homes, but I can't be completely sure. If my locks are being bypassed, I would like to know how it is happening as well.

Spoiler: Arlen
    Show
    You notice no evil auras.

Spoiler: Tahlas
    Show
    At the mention of helping the innocents,
    you notice that Keygan seems stressed.

17. - Top - End - #47

WolfInSheepsClothing

Tahlas moves over and whispers in his brothers ear. Feralas looks back to the locksmith, What do you mean you can't be completely sure. I'm sure a reputable businessman like yourself has records that could be checked. Do we need to get the name of every victim and bring it to you before you will open your books and see if they were your constumers? We are just trying to find those poor children before anything happens to them. We aren't looking to turn you in but you have to care about the children being found safely.

18. - Top - End - #48

BlueKnightGuy

Of course I care about what happens to those children. I'm not a monster.

Feralas notices that Keygan is beginning to sweat and grab at his collar. He seems to be moving his head and eyes around a lot.

Show
    You notice that the gnome keeps tilting his head towards the red curtain and moving his eyes upwards. You feel like he is telling you to go back through the curtain and look upwards.

19. - Top - End - #49

WolfInSheepsClothing

Feralas continues to talk to the locksmith as his brother moves towards the curtain quietly. He waves to the halflings to let them know that he is going to check out behind the curtain

Spoiler: Move silently
    Show
    (1d20+8)[26]

20. - Top - End - #50

BlueKnightGuy

Hey! you can't go back there...Wait!
    What are you doing!

Keygan bangs his head against the counter, and then against the wall next to the counter.

Please stop...

He falls to the ground.

Show
    Obviously he is putting on a show,
    as if he knows someone is listening.

21. - Top - End - #51

SwashbucklerGuy

Arwen moves toward the curtain. Arlen continues talking with the locksmith, but watches the curtain.

My apologizes for the mistake. The fact remains, your locks are involved in the kidnappings. Can you show me one of your locks perhaps?

Arlen is hoping this will distract from the rest of the group moving toward the curtain. He tries to be as noisy as possible away from the curtain.

22. - Top - End - #52

WolfInSheepsClothing

Tahlas flings the curtain back and looks up to see what the shopkeeper was motioning at.

23. - Top - End - #53

BlueKnightGuy

Black curtains partially obscure a window niche that faces the street. Ornate locks and complex locking mechanisms are neatly displayed in the niche.

The room itself looks tidy, but lived in. Carpets cover the stone floor, and a broom leans against the railing of a wooden staircase leading up to a second floor balcony. Three wooden chests rest in the middle of the floor, their lids bound shut with sturdy iron padlocks. Small tables, shelves and benches hold various knick-knacks and a framed portrait of a silver-haired gnome hangs next to a tall wooden box at the base of the stairs. The wooden box contains an intricate array of ticking gears, counterweights, and cylindrical chimes, surmounted by a circular face that bears the numerals 1 through 12 on its circumference.

Here is the map of the 2 rooms. Place your characters.
    Map of Store

24. - Top - End - #54

BlueKnightGuy

As Tahlas enters the room and approaches the stairs, he hears something above. He looks up and sees a creature seemingly appear out of thin air. The creature jumps down from the top of the stairs and gets ready to fight.

Spoiler: Creature
    Show
    creature
    Roll for initiative in OOC

25. - Top - End - #55

WolfInSheepsClothing

Tahlas attacks the creature with his knife

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+2)[7]
    Damage:(1d4+1)[2]

Feralas begins chanting

Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Begins Summon natures ally
    Last edited by bchilders; 2017-06-15 at 08:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

SwashbucklerGuy

Arwen speaks, then engages the enemy with his crossbow. This is a skulk. They live in the underdark and are good at hiding, keep an eye out for others.

Show
    Attack (1d20+4)[8] Damage (1d8)[7]

Arlen moves to engage the enemy

Show
    Arlen takes a 5 foot step to G9 and attacks with his long sword Attack (1d20+4)[10] Damage (1d6+2)[7]

27. - Top - End - #57

BlueKnightGuy

As the skulk endures the attacks that come his way, he swings his rapier at Talhas

Spoiler: Skulk attack
    Show
    attack:(1d20+3)[14]
    Damage: (1d6)[5]

28. - Top - End - #58

WolfInSheepsClothing

Hearing his brothers chanting Tahlas waits until the expected help arrives before he attacks. A wolf appears behind the skulk and both the animal and rogue attack in concert

Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    Wolf Attack:(1d20+3)[19] + 2 for flanking
    Damage: (1d6+1)[7]
    If bite hits wolf will attempt to trip:(1d20+1)[16]

Tahlas Attack:(1d20+2)[10] +2 for flanking and he should be at -4 for being prone if he fails his check against trip
    Damage: (1d4+1)[5] Sneak:(1d6)[4]
    Last edited by bchilders; 2017-06-15 at 08:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

BlueKnightGuy

As the wolf appears behind the skulk, it rips into the back of the skulk's leg, causing it to fall. As the skulk is falling Tahlas runs the skulk through, ending its life.

Hearing the skulk perish, Keygan speaks up.

Um...could you please help me up?
    I am wearing stilts and can't really stand up in them.

30. - Top - End - #60

SwashbucklerGuy

Arlen speaks with the locksmith.

Thank you for pointing us toward the creature. We will be happy to help you, please fill us in on all the details of what is going on. Is there anyone else in the building? What do you have in those chests? Where did that thing come from and what business did it have here?