Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: My Little Pony XCVII: Cheerilee's Lonely Hearts Club

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler: The Mane Thing - Fridge Horror?
    Show
    Twilight mentions that she can't make a new mane for Rarity cause it's gotta come from somewhere. Basically the FMA Equivalent Exchange principal. This never came up before, but here is a thought--what if it always was true. Now, go back through the past 6-7 seasons ad think about all the things unicorns popped into existence with their magic. That's a lot of displaced matter.
    Spoiler: The Mane Thing
    Show
    Hah! Think that's bad in general? Equivalent Exchange isn't just for spells that create stuff. Any effect in Alchemy utilises it. Unless Manes are a bizzare loophole, this implies all Equestrian magic uses the LEE.

So what got burned by Starlight and Twilights magical time travel fight? That's a really high power spell, cast repeatedly.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Spoiler: s7e19
    Show
    Not for not analysing the SHOW, analysing "the writers screwed up/did not do their own research in the magic and mane thing for this episode." There's not a lot to analyse there, except perhaps to ascribe the fact that they either did just not think about it or deliberately just went "well, but that's not the story we want to tell this week" which is arguably worse.

I mean, it would have been easy to just not have Twilight home (and run the whole thing with Starlight and Spike instead of Starlight and Twilight, because you could legitimately beleive Starlight couldn't do it because she just didn't know the spell... Hell, you could have just had Twilight say that a spell to restore that much damage, given the magical manner in which is was inflicted, couldn't be done immediately (have to let the effect disperse) or that it would take more time than the time to the photoshoot.
    Show
    I'm confident that some reviewer is going to bring it up and take three paragraphs analyzing what it could mean. That's just a thing internet reviewers love to prey upon.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Show
    Hah! Think that's bad in general? Equivalent Exchange isn't just for spells that create stuff. Any effect in Alchemy utilises it. Unless Manes are a bizzare loophole, this implies all Equestrian magic uses the LEE.

So what got burned by Starlight and Twilights magical time travel fight? That's a really high power spell, cast repeatedly.
    Show
    You know how "our" human world is a connected dimension to Equestria via the mirror? Much like FMA did it via the "gate". I think all that time travel cause some natural disasters on our end.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    GitP Player Registry Entry

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)

Show
    I'm confident that some reviewer is going to bring it up and take three paragraphs analyzing what it could mean. That's just a thing internet reviewers love to prey upon.
    Show
    I think you're slightly mis-interpreting what I saying: I mean there's no fun in analysing explicitly the out-of-universe "the writers did A Wrong 'Un" explanation (because what can you really say beyond that?); trying to create an in-universe explanation for it is where, as you say, the Fun Is To Be Had.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Bugbear in the Playground

Different question. Once we got to know the actual hero Somnambula from S7 E18, doesn't the spell name “Somnambula's Weather Abjuration” mentioned in S6 E2 sound unlikely to you? I mean, it didn't look like Somnambula was a wizard who invented the spell.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Mane thing, you make my heart sing
    Show

About missing manes and the fixing thereof with magic:
    We have to remember it's not just a missing or short mane, it was removed by Zecora's most powerful potion. Remember, in the Cutie Re-mark, Zecora's potions are powerful enough to counteract changeling magic.
    This isn't just a matter of creation (which is hard enough on its own: Twilight managed only growing a small mustache well after mastering transformation magic), it's counteracting an expert alchemist's formula made specifically for that purpose and bosltered by Rarity's willpower and desperation.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

6. - Top - End - #666
    Firbolg in the Playground

Show
    Remind me, as you can bring those incidents to mind and I can't, did it fix manes that were in that bad a state or just moderately bad?
    Spoiler: It Isn't the Mane Thing About You
    Show
    From Friendship is Magic, I was referring to the Elements of Harmony regrowing Rarity's tail. From Boast Busters, I was referring to the "growing magic" Twilight used on Spike, Snips and Snails, and also to whatever effect fixed (offscreen) the mess Trixie made of Rarity's mane. Age spells (Magic Duel, Not Asking for Trouble) could probably be used to accelerate hair growth.* You could probably add in poison joke as a hair-growth agent too. That it only works that way on Rarity is no barrier here, because we want to use it on Rarity. And to the possible rejoinder that its effect could change based on what the plant finds funny, we know from Filli Vanilli that it doesn't work that way, that its effects are reproducible even if the effect would be what the cursed pony wants.

I don't think SKarious's point holds much water either. The remover potion doesn't have any lasting inhibitory effects (the hair grows back on its own), so there's no lingering magic that a growth spell would have to counteract. It really is just a retcon for the sake of the plot.

* Did you notice? Rarity's mane grew back in "months." Not "moons."

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe like the rest of us, they were just quietly enjoying Rarity's hilarious freak-outs. I mean really, can you BLAME them...?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Doesn't fit with the rest of the episode, and especially not the bits (in her castle and in the boutique) where Twilight is clearly trying to comfort Rarity to the best of her ability. Good on her for that, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Who have I missed? (Let's stick to the canon proven ones please, I know you could list a thousand pairs from fandom, and I have my favorites too.)
    Huh. I was sure Prince Hisan was an earth pony for some reason, which would make him and Somnambula a mixed-tribe couple (come on, they're totally a couple). Checking, though, it turns out he's a pegasus.

Different question. Once we got to know the actual hero Somnambula from S7 E18, doesn't the spell name “Somnambula's Weather Abjuration” mentioned in S6 E2 sound unlikely to you? I mean, it didn't look like Somnambula was a wizard who invented the spell.
    Maybe it's named after the town, and not the pony? But while Somnambula doesn't have much of a wizard schtick going on (not like Starswirl or Mistmane or Meadowbrook [an earth pony, btw]), who's to say she couldn't have invented the spell? A weather abjuration certainly seems like it could involve pegasus magic.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2017-09-17 at 11:38 AM.
    Milk Chocolate Justiciar of the Haley Fanclub
    I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good. … Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim. Too ugly or too this or too that. … I am out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your world … no matter what color, what size you are, how you are built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself and in your work.
    Human stick-figure Twilight Sparkle by me. Find more here.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Barbarian in the Playground

The couple seen in the song in S2 E17, as Topaz points out, both earth ponies
    No, check the picture: Caramel is an Earth Pony but Sassaflash is a Pegasus.
    Blue Star Topaz is my name
    Equestria's my nation
    The Elements define my creed
    The Herd's my destination

8. - Top - End - #668

She's a pegasus. I think weather manipulation magic is inherently their thing, so why wouldn't she invent weather abjuration? They live in a desert. Those crops could use all the abjuration they can get.

Even better-- anyone else remember that Somnambula was a My Little Pony villain in the older series? ;)
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #669

Even better-- anyone else remember that Somnambula was a My Little Pony villain in the older series? ;)
    Wow, no! I know barely anything about the older MLP generations. I've only heard from secondary sources that there are a lot of such callbacks, and that Lord Tirek was also a villain there. What other villains come from back then?

Now it's time for me to watch the new episode that many of you have already commented on.

Spoiler: S7 E19
    Show
    S7 E19 It isn't the mane thing about you

I must mention that I come to this episode unusually spoiled, because I have seen not only the TV guide description, but the several minute long preview videos. I expect a typical great Rarity video, where a serious topic will be lightened with Rarity's great acting.

Thoughts as I watch.
    • Oh! That's Apple Bloom talking to Burnt Oak in the background. Great. The Apples said in S7 E13 they'd come back for more stories.
    • And we're on a market and that's Grand Pear and Granny Smith behind the stand that's next to the florist stand. But what is this queue for? Oh hi, Octavia and Vinyl and Miss Cheerilee and Bon Bon and Lyra, and I think that's one of the spa ponies in the back, or maybe both of them. (screen scrolls) And Derpy and Diamond Tiara and his father Filthy Rich.
    • Rarity gives advice about the flowers when there are already three florist ponies working. Typical Rarity.
    • A dozen lavenders. Is that ordinary lavender, or the strange pony lavender hanging from vines that we've seen in S7 E12?
    • There's such a big shop selling fans, when back in S4 E16 they generated all the wind by pegasuses flapping, and S2 E22 and S3 E7 also shows how pegasuses can create wind.
    • “It's super-sticky celebration string!” Ok, but Pinkie should also know the best way to remove it. Don't you, Pinkie? How do we get from this to needing Zecora?
    • Hahaha! The babies are glued to the floor.
    • Look at the nice colored flashes as the pink fluid instantly burns the three leaves. That's some unusual potion-making Zecora is doing.
    • So much bubbles from just a few drops! I'm sure the babies will enjoy this cleaning session.
    • “But I don't know if I can even show my face looking like this.” Put on that cloak, or some other headwear with a lot of cover. And remember when it took you some time to fix Princess Cadence's hair.
    • “That ain't something us non-fabulous folk can understand.” Oh no. This is worse than S2 E19 when the diamond dogs called her ugly.
    • “The mane has to come from somewhere.” Back in S2 E18, the Ponyville spa made wigs. Could they buy some hair from there? Or even buy a wig from them?
    • “There's no magical cure” How about a non-magical cure then? Like a wig? And what happened to Pinkie Pie during all this?
    • Wait… a bear and a squirrel build a birdnest on Rarity? What strange animals Fluttershy has.
    • Um… can Fluttershy stand in for the photo shoot? She has a decent mane, she's less shy now than she used to be, and Rarity can help in the shoot.
    • Haha, so many empty buckets of ice cream!
    • Yep, Pinkie enjoyed the shampoo, just like I thought.
    • I dunno, it was different from the Rarity episodes we've had so far, and didn't seem so great. But Rarity and everyone else behaved in character, and there wasn't really anything really wrong with the episode. I say it's another average quality episode.

Now I'll read your comments.

Update: reaction to various comments, some of them about the new episode.

Guys, please use spoiler tags when you discuss the movie and its previews.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    [S7 E18] That sphinx ain't so clever. The bridge could at least have been swinging or something, instead of being just a straight line.

Wow, the ineptitude here is almost as glaring as the glow pads. Maybe don't reveal yourself and kidnap Rainbow Dash while Daring Do is still within sight. Just a tip
    The sphinx may have had to improvise there. You don't normally get a second riddle from a sphinx. And I think that conventional villain style works well for the Daring Do stories. Doctor Caballeron wants to keep his gentleman book villain style, and revealing himself and monologuing his plan to the hero matches that completely. Works fine for me, because not every villain in MLP needs to have hidden motives and unexpected depths in his character and a rainbow-assisted reformation.

Thanks! It's been a busy past several days. Well, more so after the storm went through than before. Nothing got broken, but there were a lot of big tree branches all over the yard. Been cleaning up most of it in hot, humid weather (really the only thing that changes in the day is whether the sun is up or down). Some local friends finally got power today, as well as neighbors across the street, so things are coming back together.
    Funnily, something good came out of the storm we got this summer. (I'm not trying to compare it to what Florida had. Luckily we never have that kind of strong wind here.) Of all the trees, the storm chose to kill the one small old maple tree that we would have had to cut down anyway, because it was seriously infested with a wasp nest.

Show
    Okay, so you're telling me that unicorns got magic to move celestial bodies, transform creatures into animal/fruit hybrids, and time travel, but no one has a simple spell for fixing manes? Unicorn magic is weird.
    Show
    Yes. Unicorn wizards like Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer can only cast arcane magic. Healing magic, like the one required for regrowing a mane is one of those areas that only divine magic can handle. Zecora, being a druid (ranger), is supposed to have divine magic, and she did give the magical fix an honest try. Of course, then you have to find an excuse for how Rarity's mane managed to regrow in S1 E2.

Even if MLP doesn't have a distinction between arcane and divine magic, it can still be a universe where healing biological systems is a difficult realm of magic that you would have to learn specifically, and you can be a very good wizard while still knowing nothing about it. That's why we have sci-fi stories with alien civilizations that are good with only non-living technology and ones only good at biological technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Adderbane View Post
    Spoiler: It isn't the mane thing about you
    Show
    Was wondering if we were going to see Zephyr Breeze again for a moment there. Rarity's new look was surprisingly good.
    Show
    Oh no. I almost managed to forget about that pony. I wasn't even reminded of him while watching the episode. I don't need to, because we have perfectly good wig maker spa ponies right in Ponyville. Plus, we got hints that Babs Seeds might have become a hairdresser.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Spoiler: Mane Thing
    Show
    Go see Twilight. If she can summon a mustache, she can surely summon a mane

At least shave off the bits. Bald is ... well, it looks ... good on some ponies.

Aww, I was just looking forward to the episode ending with, "Wait ... anyone seen Pinkie and the twins lately?" and then the rest of the season could have Pinkie and the twins mysteriously vanished, only to return in some clever fashion for the finale. Would have been cool if they did that.
    Show
    Oh, yeah, I forgot about the mustache. Um… let's say that was an illusion spell, those can change your appearance, and arcane magic can do them.

Bald can look good, but doesn't really help when Rarity wants to participate in a photo shoot about the most fabulous manes.

Haha! Pinkie and the babies vanishing. That sounds funny, but I wouldn't enjoy if it spanned multiple episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by SKarious View Post
    Spoiler: Mane thing about you
    Show
    Tabitha knocks it out of the park on every line, and the animation's excellent.

+ Rarity is truly the Element of Generosity. But more often than not, she gets trouble for it. Makes me sad.
    + Pinkie was lucky to have taken the wrong bottle. Imagine trying to explain to your bosses their kids removed themselves out of existence....
    + Davenport is a #$%! Going back on a promise to a customer is pretty terrible. Doubly so when that customer just saved your business yesterday.
    + I wish Rarity could keep that punk look. She looks really fabulous in it.
    Show
    I agree with most of that, except the last point. The punk look doesn't work for Rarity. It doesn't match her personality.

So some daft fellow on Fimfic started asking questions about me and Liches and whatnot... [...] So my on Fimfic, my homepage now has the first of a semi-irregular blog about Aotrs guff, starting with a very long diatribe on Spirit-Bound Liches.
    I wonder if he's an apprentice who wants to eventually become a lich, or one who knows a lich he has to defeat.

Show
    Zecora, you are not helping. Labels, duck, LABELS, mespecially when the potions you're hanoung out look exactly the same.

I am the only that finds that argueably the two most powerful spellcasters in the nation - one of whom who can create moustaches with magic and both of whom you have used time travel spells - are stumped by hairloss. Really? Was the true power of the Elements, the ability to restore lost hair...?

Or perhaps Twilight and Starlight and Zecora were just collectively trolling, because they couldn't be bothered. (Seems more likely, to me than them not being able to use magic on manes..!)

Maybe like the rest of us, they were just quietly enjoying Rarity's hilarious freak-outs. I mean really, can you BLAME them...?
    Show
    Yeah. I'm one of those people who obsessively label and document a lot of things. At home, I write on objects with sharpies, attach sticky paper labels on them, and take photographs of everything so you can track its paste states later. I also photograph buildings and statues and plaques and other objects with a permanent location in the city. At work, apart from photographing and labeling some hardware, I try to clean up the mess of the amorph soups of digital data that people collect during projects, cataloguing them so we can know what data came from where and where you can find everything. I'm not perfect in all this, but I do try. My brother chewed on me at one point that I'm using douche gel from an unlabeled coke bottle. I disagreed, saying that in that particular case labeling was unnecessary, but I can understand his point.

As for magic being unable to grow back hair, Digo has complained about that too, see above.

Starlight or Zecora maybe, but I don't think Twilight was trolling. Remember, she was the pony who tried to give Applejack a cutie mark using magic back in S1 E12.

Show
    Hell, you could have just had Twilight say that a spell to restore that much damage, given the magical manner in which is was inflicted, couldn't be done immediately (have to let the effect disperse) or that it would take more time than the time to the photoshoot.
    Show
    Yes, that might have worked better.

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Vinyl and Octavia (Slice of Life) - Although it is debatable whether they are a couple or just housemates. One reviewer speculated that they might be siblings.
    I also don't think we have evidence they're a couple.

Show
    You know how "our" human world is a connected dimension to Equestria via the mirror? Much like FMA did it via the "gate". I think all that time travel cause some natural disasters on our end.
    Show
    Oh! Like the magic in Asimov's The gods themselves, in which the exchange based magic seems useful in small quantities, but relying a lot on it can eventually doom two worlds? Interesting theory, although I don't think it's true for MLP.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Spoiler: It Isn't the Mane Thing About You
    Show
    You could probably add in poison joke as a hair-growth agent too.

I don't think SKarious's point holds much water either. The remover potion doesn't have any lasting inhibitory effects (the hair grows back on its own), so there's no lingering magic that a growth spell would have to counteract. It really is just a retcon for the sake of the plot.
    Show
    Ah yes, the poison joke growing hair is a good point. I didn't think of that one. But as for lingering effects, those usually have a time limit, I can easily understand a potion that has an effect lasting for a few days but not for months.

Huh. I was sure Prince Hisan was an earth pony for some reason, which would make him and Somnambula a mixed-tribe couple (come on, they're totally a couple). Checking, though, it turns out he's a pegasus.
    I don't think we know they're a couple. They could become one perhaps, because in the stories the hero who saves the princess usually gets to marry them too, but on the other hand, the prince was the pharaoh's son, and pharaohs aren't known to marry common folk. Regardless, there's certainly no show canon proof that they're a couple.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2017-09-17 at 04:49 PM.

10. - Top - End - #670

Show
    Yes. Unicorn wizards like Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer can only cast arcane magic. Healing magic, like the one required for regrowing a mane is one of those areas that only divine magic can handle. Zecora, being a druid (ranger), is supposed to have divine magic, and she did give the magical fix an honest try. Of course, then you have to find an excuse for how Rarity's mane managed to regrow in S1 E2.

Even if MLP doesn't have a distinction between arcane and divine magic, it can still be a universe where healing biological systems is a difficult realm of magic that you would have to learn specifically, and you can be a very good wizard while still knowing nothing about it. That's why we have sci-fi stories with alien civilizations that are good with only non-living technology and ones only good at biological technology.
    Show
    Well, do remember that Twilight was able to use magic to grow facial hair on dragons and ponies (Boast Busters, Magic Duel), and in the second part of the pilot, the magic if Friendship repaired Rarity's cut tail. So, I think it's not that 'healing' magic to restore manes is hard. I think the writers were a bit lazy with the issue.

So much awesome (but spoilery) art from this week's episode. Well, instead of spoiling things, have a cute Applebloom:
    Spoiler: CUTIE MARK CRUSADER OVERSIZED SWEATER CUTENESS GO!!
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)

Bleakplays Plays EUIV: Necrolantis Rises!

Spoiler: Necrolantis Arises! 33
    Show
    Stop! Kongo time! (well nearly...!)

But first... Paramount Priest-over. On 16th January 1781, Paramount Priest Pausanias Peithid (5/6/4) died and was replaced by Telesphoros Zosimid (6/6/5). The new merchant's son heir, Xenocrates Philonid (4/2/55/5/6), was the new heir, who became expansionist (settler boost).

2nd of March - the truce expired. Kongo Konquest - round 2!

Well. That was short! by the 8th of June, Kongo was subdued.

Okay, then. Since we had some time before Bahamis, I elected to burn some of our recovered manpower on two more 48k stacks.

Late December 1782 brought an event which gave us -10% for any technology cost for ten years. I picked Admin, since that allowed me to take one now, and would maybe allow a second (since admin tech costs were the lowest) before the time expired, in between all the coring!

January, and we could attack Bahamis. But, noting they had some more allies, I held off a bit and brought some more troops back from the Ottoman border.

April, and we were ready to attack Bahamis, hopefully for the final time!

By the 19th of September, Bahamis was neatly subdued, their ally Oudh was nearly done, and, while we could get AT U-tsang, our forces were marching in on it.

October brought Oudh down and military tech 29 and Flying Batteries, the to-level artillery tech (which, despite the moral penalty, I implemented immediately). Oudh was promptly absorbed (and even added to Kongo, our over-extension was not even 50%!)

The 31st of March brought U-tang's occupation to completion, followed by its immediate annexation. (A feeble 10% over extension!) Now, it was just a case of waiting until that went down to take Bahamis.

Bahamis has... 106% over-extension. *skulldesk*

Okay, there will be one more round later, then. So, what we will do is take no more than 72.3% overextension right now (because we can tank that immediately), rather than wait for the rest to core first. 99% over-extension. Neat.

Okay (after a bit of a fight with the reloading...) We've got a year left before Kilwe's truce expires with the Ottomans, so we'll have a refractory period while me move everything into position and let the Admin build back up a bit. We had to get military access from Shan to get our troops back from former U-tsang, that would need to be cancelled soon (since they were the next target). Hembatia was getting on with the coring nicely, so the next time I spotted one of the pair of diplomats on their way back from a job, I would pull them off that duty and assign them to improve relations (and subsequently annex, because the sooner the better!)

With luck, from what I'd calculated, one war with the Revolutionary Ottomans should do what I wanted.

In the meantime, I would also build bother pair of 48k stacks. (Soooo much easier with the template!)

June 1785. Kilwe's truce had expired, so now all I needed was to get my troops in place ready, and we could get on with this!

July brought diplomatic tech 30...

October, and all the armies were ready, poised in Africa and west Asia to march in, and two naval landings (each guarded by the heavy fleets) ready to fall on the eastern portion, including Constantinople itself. The Ottomans had a couple of small vassals, but no allies.

Let us begin!

Psh, after all that, Kilwe didn't want to join in. Dangit.

Oh well.

By April, Albania was occupied - but as vassals, I couldn't peace them out separately. Darn.

June, and we were at 50% warscore...

After a long march, wherein the Ottomans were simply swarmed under by the hordes of the Necrolantic Legions, we came to point where I had enough warscore for my demands.

Sadly, as per usual, I did not have sufficient overextension to take everything I wanted without going over 100%. (Really shoulda made a vassal state in Africa for the purposes, but too late now.)

So, I took the very hard decision to grab everything I wanted, and deal with *wince* 144% overextension. so all halt (apart from getting the troops back and in position) for a bit.

We immediately got rebel sentiment in two African provinces, so I diverted a couple of the returning 24k stacks to that direction.

Guh. That was a mistake, since apparently the game loves to spam "rebel sentiment" every five seconds, so bollocks to that...

After a VERY long haul and several rebel suppressions and trade power losses later... Particularly because the game absolutely INSISTED on trying to have revolts in U-tsang - the one place I couldn't get any troops to - and I refused to let it. It threw teddy out of the pram and had an absolute TANTRUM with trying bad event spam in the last two-three weeks before the majority of the coring was done (which I ALSO wasn't going to let it have). I mean, I was going two save back and then it was trying to spam several events AT. ONCE. So, it took me over an hour to get through THREE WEEKS because it having a screaming mardy. I mean, seriously, well beyond the RNG for this sort of thing, the computer game equivalent of a toddler-standing-in-the-middle-of-the-room-and-screaming-in-anger-and-throwing-things-mardy.

In the end, it triggered the inflation event TWICE in under two weeks (one at the end, one , like two days before the coring completed - that's the level it was having its screaming fits at), but 67 admin is frack-all, so I allowed that.

Note to self. NEVER forget that 100% overextension is NEVER, EVER, EVER worth it under any circumstances EVER. It makes for nothing but frustration and tedium in the extreme.

I had honestly forgotten it was THAT bad from the one time I fracked it in Fluttershy's Dominion V2.

*sigh*

Right, a good couple of hours later, time to move on with actually, if it will co-operate, PLAYING THE DAMN GAME.

What the hell was I doing? Oh, right, setting up for fighting Shan and Ming.

September 1788 (finally) and we got a +20 prestige boost (which I deferred with a placate rulers on the highest liberty value CN) and military tech 30. This got us the top level infantry - Reformed Xoloti.

But we can't have a month gone by - with 0% overextension - without trying some bad event spam again can we game?

*sigh*

Despite the game's best efforts, by 25th of May 1789, 864 thousand troops, over half of that ship-borne (and all but about four 48k s stack's worth of our entire armed forces) stood ready to assault Ming and Shan. Bonus - Ming was currently at war with Russia. (If Ming didn't step in to defend 'em Shan was gonna have a bad day!)

First experiment, go for Shan and see if making Ming co-belligerent would pull in Mings' tributaries. I fracking hoped not, since they weren't allies and Ming had no allies, so...)

*sigh*

True to form, Ming JUST wrapped up their war with Russia. Because OF COURSE they did.

The war rage fiercely. the problem was that Ming was such a bloody awkward shape, I couldn't sweep it so easily. So while Shan slowly fell, Ming and the stupendous number of sieges slowed the advance.

By 10th of October 1790, the diplomat was finished in Hembatia, so I wasted no time in starting to annex it. (Hey, dangit, I apparently left the vassal annex edict up! Blast, could have saved myself some admin...!)

Damn, this was difficult. Not only was running out of Manpower (frag-dammit), but I felt like I wasn't making much headway. Still, my goal was to peace Ming out and force subjects away from them, so maybe just a little bit more...!

On the 9th of December 1791, I decided to cut my losses and peace Ming out. While my assault on Beijing had got us a lot of warscore, having split my forces to attack from two fronts was just not working, even with both Ming and I at 0 manpower. I just wasn't stacking wiping them enough with the northern group, and the southern - larger - forces were basically just too crammed in by forts to help much and there was a limit to how much extra help was useful. (On fort gamely held of 200k troops for ages, no doubt contributing to my problems. If we did this again (though I don't likely see why I should, to be honestly, I'd start with a wider sweep from the south, keeping lots of back-up to just pounce on Mings troops as they filtered in.

On the other hand, Ming had had a lot more ships than I expected, but they'd been repeated annihilated by mine (the entire fleet, pretty much, bar the lights, were parked in the Bohai sea and we'd bounced their fleet several times.

So. I made my demands. Break subjects with Ava (and one province to let me get at it), Dai Viet, Ryukyu and Yamana (in Japan - guess who was going to get it while I was in the neighbourhood, sort of...!) and gold for the rest.

We could peace out Shan anytime we liked, but I was planning - while the troops were there! to roll in on Ava and Dai Viet first (and get them cored) before we finally peaced out Shan, to get maximum overextension.

The Paramount Priest became strict (+5% discipline). Thanks, dude, that was really useful NOW...

On the 2nd of February, we launch our attack on Ava (an OPM).

Except we didn't because, damn, okay, there's a truce between us. *sigh* Make sense I suppose, to stop me doing exactly what I was going to do.

Okay then. Guess we wait out the core and then take stuff from Shan.

Most irritating thing? So many of my provinces are 44-45 supply. I cannot wait to get that military supply boost, then maybe will stop having to watch where my armies stand while they recover...

This latter part was a strange sort of war. Shan was very quiet - after rebels, almost unnoticed very early on, and most of the troops were going home. The fleets were repaired and the shipping losses in heavy ships incurred. (And we captured no less than 28 light ships to add to our Ivory Coast fleet..!)

On the 1st of September, Hembatia was integrated. Thanks to our diplomatic ideas, this time, it didn't wind up the larger CNs as much as it used to!

Disbanding the 29000 troops helped with our manpower shortage a bit - we were down to merely 67k shortfall, before it could begin to tick back up again!

By early October, the one core had finished and the diplomat returned from Hembatia - so it was now time to finally give Shan our demands!

99.4% overextension for getting us this:

And now you see my cunning plans!

Necrolantian territory runs contiguously from the south of France all the way to China! A Necrolantian can now walk from one end of the empire to the other and only have to get his feet wet across the Gibraltar Strait!

Huzzah!

The remaining goals in the thirty years left are to completely control Africa - next job is to make a start on that, it'll probably take two goes to take Kilwe, Japan if we can and perhaps a bit more of France. If we do REALLY well, I'd like to be able to link up Holland with France, but I doubt we'll have time for that.

I had a mission to conquer a province in France, but I cancelled it - I wasn't anywhere near ready for that like I thought when I first took it.

So, more extended refractory period. Not only do we have to let Shan core, but we could really do with getting some manpower back again!

Bahahaha! In February, our truce with Bahamis ends, so we can march on them again! Though I think I'll leave for a bit instead; but we'll do that before we tackle Africa.

Oh ho! France just got easier - they are at war with the Commonwealth! Looks like that personal union must have broken! Good to know.

June 1795 and the coring was done, and manpower was now actually increasing. (Though the mission to get it to 90% would stall us out for probably five years, and we didn't have time - so onto the next fight!)

By October, Bahamis was absorbed!

Next, then - Africa and our erstwhile ally Kilwe and their Maravi!

This time, while I thought about it, I assigned a couple more provinces to Luapultia, my client nation, so it could more easily core Maravi. The goal, then, would be to take Maravi - and looking at it, we could pull Yemen in via Kilwe and see how much of that we could swipe as well!

In January, I took Admin tech 31 - with the last five states! These mostly went to Italy (since they had the highest value) and I couldn't core them yet - needed to rack up some admin again.

We were now ready for the war. But that would have to wait for another day! (Possibly tomorrow, we're not far off now..!)

so, despite that tedious bit in the middle, we've accomplished a very great deal tocay!

12. - Top - End - #672
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler: S7E19 It Isn't the Mane Thing About You
    Show
    The episode was mostly forgettable. The premise was basically forced. I think that Pinkie was spot on.

A few things stuck out to me.

1. Remember S1E2 where Rarity cuts off her tail to give to Steven Magnet? I was surprised that no one suggested using the Elements of Harmony in order to restore Rarity's hair especially because we know that it works. They even mentioned Steven Magnet in the episode.

2. Magic to affect manes is supposed to be hard. However, we have seen multiple instances of magic affecting hair. Twilight can conjure mustaches. Trixie can remove a mustache. Trixie changed Rarity's mane to a green hive. Poison joke affected Rarity's mane.

3. The lesson of the episode was undercut. It was supposed to be how your looks don't matter, it's what is on the inside that counts. However, at the end it emphasizes that Rarity's new look is good only because she is still attractive.

13. - Top - End - #673

Quote Originally Posted by Pi Pie View Post
    Show
    The episode was mostly forgettable. The premise was basically forced. I think that Pinkie was spot on.

A few things stuck out to me.

1. Remember S1E2 where Rarity cuts off her tail to give to Steven Magnet? I was surprised that no one suggested using the Elements of Harmony in order to restore Rarity's hair especially because we know that it works. They even mentioned Steven Magnet in the episode.

2. Magic to affect manes is supposed to be hard. However, we have seen multiple instances of magic affecting hair. Twilight can conjure mustaches. Trixie can remove a mustache. Trixie changed Rarity's mane to a green hive. Poison joke affected Rarity's mane.

3. The lesson of the episode was undercut. It was supposed to be how your looks don't matter, it's what is on the inside that counts. However, at the end it emphasizes that Rarity's new look is good only because she is still attractive.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure the moral is supposed to be that your friends' support can give you the confidence to make the best of an unfortunate situation, and that with a freshened-uo outlook, you might find that you were making it worse than it actually was.

It's not the new look that looked good. It was the unvanquished spirit and confident carriage.
    I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good. … Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim. Too ugly or too this or too that. … I am out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your world … no matter what color, what size you are, how you are built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself and in your work.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Umm, don't they not exist anymore? I seem to recall them returning them to Tree of Harmony. Isn't that how they got the rainbow power?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.
    Winner of MSE's Card of the Week #106 and #131
    You can now bind me as a vestige!

15. - Top - End - #675

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Umm, don't they not exist anymore? I seem to recall them returning them to Tree of Harmony. Isn't that how they got the rainbow power?
    They still exist. But it's heavily implied that Bad Things will happen to the Tree (again, and more quickly this time) if they're removed. In any case, they were never used lightly even when they were still free.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2017-09-18 at 07:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Titan in the Playground

Bleakplays Plays EUIV: Necrolantis Rises!

Spoiler: Necrolantis Arises! 34
    Show
    Okay! time to kill Kilwe! (And Yeman and Maravi.) Top priority here is to knobble Kilwe as fast as possible and peace them out as soon as I max out on warscore (and overextension is done).

This was a trying war. Once again, the numbers of troops depleted manpower and the three powers were continually sending little stacks everywhere - and their forts took FOREVER to siege down. Once again, before long we were out of manpower.

May 1797, and at least the coring from the last war was done.

France was looking less possible now. Not only was it still a junior partner of the Commonwealth, Burgundy (with several strong allies) has swiped the coastal territory.

FINALLY, on 10th of December 1797, we'd gotten enough warscore to force Kilwe out of the war with 99.4 overextension.

Kilwe still has 161% warscore of provinces left, and the truce expired in 1811 - so I looked like we would, if we wanted to take Africa, truce-break in the last stages of the game.

By September, Yeman was occupied, and all that remained was the last fort in Maravi.

With a few troops on garrison and everyone once again spread out, and attrition down, it was now just a case of waiting out the coring of Kilwe to absorb as much of Yeman as we could, then Maravi.

What these wars had taught me is that all the troops don't matter because siege attrition. With only twenty years left, I decided to have a major refractory period, and at least tray and get the manpower maxed-out, because even with the mercs, I lost way too much against all those tedious, tedious level 8 star forts.

I also burning right through the big wadge of cash on more training fields - hopefully, that would shunt the max manpower up and thus the reinforcement rate.

15th of August 1799 finished Kilwe's cores. It also got us Military tech 31!

Now, we could peace out Yeman...

...and then Maravi.

Okay, that the FRACK. It won't let me give Luapultia the states to occupy.

Of COURSE, because the whole ENTIRE POINT of this was so that it could core Maravi. So of [expletive]ing course the game is going to go "no, scuatge, even if you turned it off means that, nope, can't do that! Aha!" So basically, I will have to take it myself and see if I can transfer it over once peace is sorted.

Fortunately, I CAN do that.

So, now we just sit tight for a good while, let the manpower build back up. I don't think I want to try any more serious wars (and all our opportunity targets will take a while before we could go at them anyway).

I 'spose I could take Crete and Cyprus at some point (they don't have allies), but that’s about it, and certainly not until we get some manpower back!

The diplomat is already improving relations in Luapultia, so as soon as it's cored stuff, it can be annexed.

This time, I DID take the manpower reserve recovery mission, as we hit the 19th century.

On the 30th of May, 1800 Paramount Priest Telesphoros Zosimid (6/6/5) died and Xenocrates Philonid (5/5/6) ascended. The new merchant's son heir was Diophantus Omirid (2/1/3 6/5/5), who became Strict (+5% discipline).

January 1801 brought diplomatic tech 31 and another prompted culture.

June 1801 and the coring was done. Okay, Cyprus and Crete were OPMs with no allies, and should be easy kills.

I had enough diplomatic points to promote that last culture a dead-heat between a French and Italian group, both at 140 development and 4%. I went with the French, for the sake of argument.

Okay, apparently I can’t declare war with that manpower mission up or it fails. Okay then. Guess we're not doing that, then.

September 1802, and Luapultia had finished coring and had reached maximum opinion. I started diplo-annexing it immediately.

A long quiet period passed.

May 1805 and the manpower mission was finished. I'd spammed manpower buildings, which had raised our cap by about 40% since I started doing in after the war in Ming to about 502k, but the reinforcement rate didn't change much.

So. NOW Cyrus and Crete!

On the 2nd of May 1806, Luapultia was annexed and absorbed.

By January of 1807, the truce with Ava and Dai Viet (and the others) had expired. But with time running out - and Ava having already become a tributary of Ming again, Dai Viet was the only target.

Next time, then, we will hopefully see the last fourteen years - and see if Necrolantis can achieve its last goals!

Almost done...!

Hey, don't look so pleased!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-09-18 at 07:47 PM.

17. - Top - End - #677

They still exist. But it's heavily implied that Bad Things will happen to the Tree (again, and more quickly this time) if they're removed. In any case, they were never used lightly even when they were still free.
    Recovering the elements just to fix a mane does seem a might overkill, entertaining as it would be to see 'em do it anyway.

Bwah? This Saturday's episode got leaked early? Ugh, what is with this season. :/

Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #678

Bwah? This Saturday's episode got leaked early? Ugh, what is with this season. :/
    Was the whole episode leaked, or only that short preview that was shown on some conference together with a preview of E19 and someone recorded it with a camera?

19. - Top - End - #679
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure the moral is supposed to be that your friends' support can give you the confidence to make the best of an unfortunate situation, and that with a freshened-uo outlook, you might find that you were making it worse than it actually was.

It's not the new look that looked good. It was the unvanquished spirit and confident carriage.
    Spoiler: S7E19
    Show
    That actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the perspective.

When I re-watch the episode, I will have to consider that.

Spoiler: S7E19 Images
    Show

Really quick with the pictures and insanely quick with the plush toys. I'm still impressed by the output from the fandom.

20. - Top - End - #680

Spoiler: S7E19
    Show
    That actually makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the perspective.

When I re-watch the episode, I will have to consider that.
    Don't be so easily swayed, especially by transient spectres on the Internet! Stick to your guns!
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; Yesterday at 06:44 PM.

21. - Top - End - #681

OhMyGosh! OhMyGosh! OhMyGosh!

This little comic on the latest episode is amusing. :3
    Show

Whole episode. I just checked on EQD and they got the links. :o
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

Are congratulations in order?
    I would like to preemptively apologize if I say or do anything rude. I have Asperger's syndrome and therefore sometimes come of as being rude when I do not Intend to. I answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw, and in Homestuck I'd be the Page of Life

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: My OC, Bookmark
    Show
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ettin in the Playground

Congratulations and any idea about the new Bright movie. It's like Shadowrun except Will Smith would be going into the Matrix via an ATM and butt load of drones.
    Pony Minecraft Avatar by Dirtytabs
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

24. - Top - End - #684
    Titan in the Playground

Congratulations! It's your first, right?

deviant Art | FiMFiction | Twitter | Steam : adcoon

At least there was a song timorous of
    wing-beat snowdrift ash of red horizon
    then somewhere calling as under one’s breath
    (I did not hope you would find me wanting)
    and the next extinction on every wing—
    — David Baker, As a Portent