New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XCVII: Cheerilee's Lonely Hearts Club

Quote Originally Posted by Miltonian View Post
    I feel your pain.

Not figuratively. I live in Central Florida. I used to tell all my Texas friends that it was like if they stepped outside in the heat of the day with a wool blanket over their heads.
    Alabama is bad enough, thanks. It's always humid here.

Spoiler: pic unrelated
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

Show
    So basically, the summer weather over there is like a monsoon? I do remember vaguely that respective north-western shores of both the Pacific (East Asia) and the Atlantic (Eastern United States) belonged in the same climate zone from my high school earth sciences class... As I have never been east of the Rockies, I have a hard time imagining life in non-Pacific United States. I really loved the Summer in Oregon, though.
    Unus Mundus, Una Veritas, Unum Imperium.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Show
    Applejack in pink bunny ears? No wonder she's fuming...

Summer arrived yesterday (just in time for the daughter's 18th). Baking hot with just enough humidity to be annoying. Hopefully Bleakbane has it a few degrees cooler.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    I don't get it, if you guys are going to pick the human race for the extra feat and skill point, why not at least pick the desert variant for the +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of hot weather if you're going to live there? Doesn't fix everything admittedly, but making the saving throws at a bonus is always nice.
    Aotrs commander is a lich, he is automatically immune to fortitude effects, so he doesn't need that bonus.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Spamalot in the Playground

I feel your pain.
    Not figuratively. I live in Central Florida. I used to tell all my Texas friends that it was like if they stepped outside in the heat of the day with a wool blanket over their heads.
    And some days that blanket is wet so you feel like you're in a sauna. :>

I don't get it, if you guys are going to pick the human race for the extra feat and skill point, why not at least pick the desert variant for the +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of hot weather if you're going to live there? Doesn't fix everything admittedly, but making the saving throws at a bonus is always nice.
    The desert is a dry heat. Humid heat is a different kind of beast. ;)

Show
    *snerk* That's a cute AJ face.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Ho hum. Spent a couple of hours mucking with Cities Skylines themes and lighting, ended up trying to make my own, waste of time since on the winter maps you can't see dreck-all anyway.

Still, this go is maybe marginally better than some of the my previous ones...

Kinda.

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Aotrs commander is a lich, he is automatically immune to fortitude effects, so he doesn't need that bonus.
    And on top of that, England quite frequently notoriously rather far from a desert...

(You'd really need a variant that gave you a +4 bonus for Waiting Politely in Queues to be more accurate, let's face it...!)

Edit: Catching up:

Spoiler: s7e10
    Show
    An ACTUAL royal sister's episode? After only SEVEN SEASONS?

What madness be this?!

Fracking FINALLY, another chance to actually see Celestia as an actual character an not Generic Mentor.

Starlight - still Evil.

Twilight's freakouts and Starlight's deadpan reactions were the funniesr part of the episode.

Daybreaker, huh? You know what else I like about this epsiode? It gels very nicely with my own headcanon belief that Celestia is a bit frightened of her own power, and what she could do with it.

That said, I wonder if Celestia was laying it on a little thick or not; since she DID have to managed Equestria for a thousand years solo... That or she never dealt with the nightmares - which raises some interesting questions all by itself.

Very good, solid episode!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-06-18 at 08:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Show

Daybreaker, huh? You know what else I like about this epsiode? It gels very nicely with my own headcanon belief that Celestia is a bit frightened of her own power, and what she could do with it.

That said, I wonder if Celestia was laying it on a little thick or not; since she DID have to managed Equestria for a thousand years solo... That or she never dealt with the nightmares - which raises some interesting questions all by itself.

Very good, solid episode!
    Show
    I like the idea that Starlight's dream was .... inadvertently corrupted by a Celestia unable to shield herself in an unfamiliar realm, but sadly I think that if the staff were asked, they'd say that it was all Starlight's.

Regards the thousand years, I reckon that we have to accept Luna's statements that Celestia's magic can't affect the world of dreams, and thus all she did was move the moon... or, perhaps, simply move the sun out of the way of a mad Nightmare Moon's attempts at keeping the moon permanently in the sky, even while banished there. I want to believe that an oblivious pony-dom, perhaps, evolved a folk belief that nightmares were caused by NM, in much the same way as we hold that eating cheese at bedtime does so.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, still have peeve on Marvel not doing Space Opera nowadays with the Guardians of the Galaxy stuck (and stayed) on Earth even if they let Chitauri invade Earth and used as excuse for Hydra to take over.
    At least Civil War had moment where Space heroes do good for galaxy by stemming Annihilus, which somehow the writers neglect when they had a prison built in his home. I mean it would be a lot better if Annihilus pour through the prison and forcing entire event to halt.
    On the other hand, someone would found these guys (other than HAMMER) sooner, consider how much aliens in Marvel U are malevolent.
    Also same goes for that pony episode,
    Spoiler
    Show
    I actually don't hate Starlight that much. And I swear that she was actually trying to do good for both sisters. Plus you know that Twilight might have bias towards Celestia, thus not being sent on mission.
    Still it was the sisters rather than Starlight who resolved the plot.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    The desert is a dry heat. Humid heat is a different kind of beast. ;)
    So does humidity require a Will save then?

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Pilum View Post
    Show
    I want to believe that an oblivious pony-dom, perhaps, evolved a folk belief that nightmares were caused by NM, in much the same way as we hold that eating cheese at bedtime does so.
    Spoiler: S7 Episode 10
    Show
    Eating cheese does what? Huh, don't think I heard that one before. Certainly doesn't happen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Excession View Post
    So does humidity require a Will save then?
    I would say Fortitude save. Because then it explains why we have an annual zombie run in the city.

I've been in Washington DC and Florida. My bonus helped there too, but it felt more like a +2 bonus in that climate.
    Yeah, it's like your bonuses get cut in half. And there's very little middle-ground-- either it's blazing hot with few clouds to block the sun or it's raining hard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Eating cheese does what? Huh, don't think I heard that one before. Certainly doesn't happen to me.
    Hmm, maybe it's just a British thing. I wouldn't have mentioned it if I'd realised, I thought I remembered a Looney Tunes cartoon or similar that used it though... ah well.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Colossus in the Playground

It's a common trope that eating certain foods too close to bedtime will cause nightmares or at least strange dreams. strongly pungent cheeses, chilli, mexican food, cajun food, and indian food are the ones I've heard most so other than the cheese it might be a capsaicin thing.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #73

Hmm, maybe it's just a British thing. I wouldn't have mentioned it if I'd realised, I thought I remembered a Looney Tunes cartoon or similar that used it though... ah well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It's a common trope that eating certain foods too close to bedtime will cause nightmares or at least strange dreams. strongly pungent cheeses, chilli, mexican food, cajun food, and indian food are the ones I've heard most so other than the cheese it might be a capsaicin thing.
    I suppose such a thing just doesn't apply to me. Whether I have dreams or not seems independent of any food I may or may not eat before bed.

Drinks might be a different story, since my brain has to wake me up in the middle of the night to pee.

Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

14. - Top - End - #74
    Firbolg in the Playground

This conversation reminds me of that quote from a Christmas Carol. "There's more gravy than grave about you." Kind of illustrates the whole trope. In other words, when he first sees a ghost, he doesn't believe it because human sense can be so easily deceived by something as small as indigestion.

Changing topics, because I doubt anyone wants to hear a Twilight-esque lecture of the subject...

I've heard that this season holds some sort of confirmation that Scootaloo's parents are dead, but if it does, I somehow missed it. Anyone else seen anything to confirm or deny that?
    Last edited by Miltonian; 2017-06-19 at 02:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

I've heard that this season holds some sort of confirmation that Scootaloo's parents are dead, but if it does, I somehow missed it. Anyone else seen anything to confirm or deny that?
    S7 E7 Parental Glideance has some statement that is deliberately vague enough that you can take it as confirming your headcanon about Scootaloo's parent, whatever it is.

> Scootaloo: Ya know, some ponies would dream of having parents like that.
    > Rainbow Dash: Yeah, right! Name one!
    > Scootaloo: [sighs] Me. Growing up, I never thought I'd be the best at anything, because nopony ever told me. But your parents told you over and over again.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2017-06-20 at 05:24 AM.

16. - Top - End - #76

S7 E7 Parental Glideance has some statement that is deliberately vauge enough that you can take it as confirming your headcanon about Scootaloo's parent, whatever it is.

> Scootaloo: [sighs] Me. Growing up, I never thought I'd be the best at anything, because nopony ever told me. But your parents told you over and over again.
    It's scary that "negligent parents" is not ruled out.

Trixie is tricksy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #77
    Firbolg in the Playground

S7 E7 Parental Glideance has some statement that is deliberately vauge enough that you can take it as confirming your headcanon about Scootaloo's parent, whatever it is.

Oh. Right, now I remember. Thank you. Yeah, that is quite vague.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I bring new tax! There's a new page of the comic collaboration me and a friend have been doing out!

As usual, the previous page first, to recap.
    Spoiler: Night Call pg. 8
    Show

And now the continuation!
    Spoiler: Night Call pg. 9
    Show

I am kind of impressed how my friend manages to keep these kind of dry conversation pages interesting. This particular page is probably the most difficult to make interesting in the entire comic. We're past the halfway point now, and yes, more funny is coming, but this page and the next couple of pages are... well... the entire reason this comic exists.
    Last edited by McNum; 2017-06-20 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Added link to the dA page

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: s7 e12
    Show

From a land down under. Oddly appropriate for Mr D

Loved it. Not much to quibble over. And so sweet I had to brush my teeth 4 times afterwards!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground

SE7E12: I can't seem to get the spoiler tag to work with my phone. So all I'll say is that towards the end I was worried that Fluttershy might endanger the universe by causing some kind of adorableness singularity.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by McNum View Post
    I bring new tax! There's a new page of the comic collaboration me and a friend have been doing out!
    Nice stuff. Still my fave is sleeping Celly on page 3.

So majestic.

Spoiler: S7 Ep 12
    Show
    The tea-selling pony was sooo cute! I must have fanart of her. Forget the review, off to the interweb art galleries!

[2 minutes later]

Changed my mind! I love the tea pot selling pony best! Off to the fanarts!

[10 seconds later]

Okay, maybe i'll wait a couple days for artists to actually like... watch the episode and draw the ponies. Anyway, We have one of those floating faucets in St. Augustine. Specifically in the Believe it or Not museum. Pretty fun place to visit if you go. Not far from the old forts. You know what else is not far from old? Discord trying too hard. XD Nah, I'm just being silly. It was a decent episode really--Basically 20 minutes of DeLancie being a ham with himself. Neat to see Fluttershy's expressions of excitement in anticipation of the weirdness and then not see them at Discord's house.

So yeah, pretty decent. Fun. Flutters being silly was cute.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: S7E12
    Show
    Was I the only one who was wanting him to reference his being reformed as changing himself to suit Fluttershy? Because even aline about "you're not that person anymore, that doesn't make you not you" would have been wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: S7e12 @ digiman
    Show
    Personally, I think that's rather implicit in Discord episodes now (or at least with Flutters). That he cares about anyone not named Discord, and ponies wake up in roughly the same body they went to sleep in, indicates that the reformation finally took (until it suits the writing team otherwise, but hopefully that never will). There's an element of the old (and probably now discredited) sociological saw of the Rough Masculine being brought into line and socialised by the Cultured Feminine too but that's probably just an excess of over-analysing on my part (insert /twilightguiltyface here!)
    Last edited by Pilum; 2017-06-20 at 04:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait what? Why are you talking about E12 already? Wasn't E11 the episode broadcast this weekend? (I haven't watched E11 yet, but that's my own fault.)

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

Wait what? Why are you talking about E12 already? Wasn't E11 the episode broadcast this weekend? (I haven't watched E11 yet, but that's my own fault.)
    Blame the ozzies Their turn to go early this time.

Aaaand rumour has it that they've got e13 soon too (tomorrow?).

Spoiler: Digo:
    Show
    Off to the fanarts!
    With all the DiscoShy shipping fuel in that last act? You'll be lucky if those two get screenshots ;-)

Kidding, but they were cuties though.

Edit: especially the teaset seller. Ye gods, ponies picking up teapots with their mouths is just TOO adorable.
    Last edited by Pilum; 2017-06-20 at 05:26 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Finished War for the Overworld's last pet dungeon. This one had some possession challenges, where you had to possess a minion past a locked door; first time I've used possession, really.

Democorns are stupidly powerful...

And this is what the world looks like from their eyes (note you can just see one of the sparkly stars they see everywhere.)

Spoiler
    Show

Bwahahahahaha! And check out that ability. They aren't even making an attempt to hide it here!

WftO is fracking fantastic.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-06-20 at 07:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: ep 12
    Show
    I think Fluttershy was even more adorable here than Flurry was in episode 3...

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

*skulldesk*

Watched the second trio of episodes of Thundercats.

Hooooooo boy.

It impresses on me how good Transformers (for all it's ills) was, and how amazing Centurions is.

Thundercats is... Honestly pretty terrible. The voice acting is... Bad. Panthro is the only one who sounds vaguely like a real person. Everyone else is so... stilted. Snarf - to my AMAZEMENT - actually might be one of the better characters (since he HAS a bit of personality and actually isn't as hopeless/cowardly as I thought he was); but what little gain that gets him squandered by the "snarf snarf" which is annoying. The rest of the Thundercats are all "the code of Thundera" and "brave nobel warrior" in a way in comparible to season one ST:TNG.

The scripts are... Nearly MASK level bad. Stuff just happens because the script says so.

(Example: Mumm-Ra has Cheetara captured - somehow, she just suddenly faits while of her morning run - and shapoeshifts into *sigh* "Pumm-ra" (a puma Thundercat). Despite being... PAINFULLY obvious, the Thundercats take him overnight and decide to give hima week's probabation before accepting him. That night, Mumm-Ra sneaks out sabtgaes the Thunder Lair and the Thunder Tank and steals the Sword of Omens, all without alerting the Thundercats. So, he's got his objective, he's covered his escape, right? No. He just STAYS there until morning for no reason whatsoever and then it all goes horribly wrong.)

The bad guys pose no credible threat at all, nor are they fun to watch flounder around. It's also pianfully obvious they aren't allowed to hit each other with their weapons (thank frag Transformers was able to get away with it).

The animation is not bad, I suppose. The action sequences mave maybe slightly more dynamism to them that MASK, but it's hard to say.

Maybe it will mature, but at the moment... It's... Becoming a bit hard to watch, actually.

29. - Top - End - #89

Spoiler: Digo:
    Show

With all the DiscoShy shipping fuel in that last act? You'll be lucky if those two get screenshots ;-)

Kidding, but they were cuties though.

Edit: especially the teaset seller. Ye gods, ponies picking up teapots with their mouths is just TOO adorable.
    Spoiler: Loosely Ep 12
    Show
    I know, it's just too cute to see them manipulate things like that.

It's gotta be that short mane style. I'm a sucker for a lady with short hair. Well if I'm not seeing fanarts, I'll have to draw her myself.

Bwahahahahaha! And check out that ability. They aren't even making an attempt to hide it here!
    Wow, that is just so blatant that I salute them for it. XD

*skulldesk*

Watched the second trio of episodes of Thundercats.
    I don't remember it getting good. I think it remained cheese throughout its run. I could be wrong though. I mean, this was like... 30+ years ago?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Let me watch the episode that was released this weekend.

Spoiler: S7 E11
    Show
    S7 E11: Not Asking for Trouble, thoughts as I watch.
    • (Pinkie shows a scroll of mail with a bull head silhouette on the stamp.) Ah yes, this is the Yakyakistan episode! I remember the TV guide synopsis. Great! That means a whole episode of Pinkie Pie's awesomeness.
    • A pair of giant wooden yak statues holding giant torches, right behind the gate to the city. Interesting.
    • So is all the yak stomping causing the avalanches that the TV guide synopsis mentioned? Because that would be a tough one to resolve.
    • (Yak eating houose, yak sleeping hut.) Ok, now you're just lazy, recycling all the ideas from S5. Let's get over with this. (Yak music hut.)
    • ("Yak horn too heavy for small pony head.) Oh good, Prince Rutherford still has some common sense.
    • Ah, so now the yaks just stomp on the snow.
    • Hehe, Pinkie has snow horns.
    • Good thing Pinkie is familiar with Ponyville, where the ponies don't use unicorn magic to change seasons, so she'll understand why Yaks have a custom where they don't use pony help to change seasons.
    • (The goats were attacked by a giant sand creature.) Hehe, telling a story might be a good idea, but Pinkie is a really bad storyteller. Again. We've seen that in S1 E21. She should get Princess Luna or some other good storyteller here. There were some nice details in the drawings she conjured during the story though.
    • (You know who would enjoy the snow sandwiches? ... they'll clear the snow away.) That was a good try, Pinkie. Pity you messed it up in the end.
    • Oh no! "Honorary yak status rescinded." That will really hurt Pinkie. It's like when Cranky wouldn't accept her apology. Pinkie will now go very far to fix this. Even the yaks won't be able to out-stubborn her.
    • Nice! Pinkie's spy goggles from S3 E1 is back. They can do more interesting callbacks than the vanilla extract balance.
    • They just sneak in and fix the town while the yaks are sleeping? That's so rude. And the yaks don't even have guards for the night because nobody ever comes to Yakyakistan to steal anything?
    • She started another war? I hope no.
    • That's it? That's all there is for the ending? This episode makes no sense. I just don't know what to say.

Update: this show has grown up. It started as a kids' cartoon, and now it's dealing with adult topics like a country forcibly liberating another country from its supposedly oppressive regime.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2017-06-21 at 09:39 AM.