New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Dreamscarred Press: What's up with the Marksman?

So, I've played with Psionics for a bit (about 3 years now) in every game I've run. For the most part, I've found the classes and options given well balanced, fun, and interesting. It is not until recently that anyone has deigned to play a Marksman and...yeah, what's up with this class? It seems to be a complete outlier in terms of design from other Psionics classes and some of the options it gets.

The player is playing a Xeph Mobile Knife, specifically. The Mobile Knife seems great conceptually, but its Fury of a Single Blade ability is just...weird. I have no clue why it was decided for the class to get, essentially, extra free attacks (if it hits three attack rolls, it gets 5 attacks worth of damage. 4 attacks = 7 damages. Why?). I already changed this one to be, essentially, Pummeling Style for thrown weapon attacks. You get as much damage as your hits.

The second major offender is Wind Strike. This Power is baffling to me. It's a 2nd level power. For the low, low, LOW cost of 3 PP and a Swift action (and a use of a class ability you get 3+class level uses per day) you get a no-save Daze (the Stun that works on anything!) on any and every target you hit and your Wis mod as an extra attack bonus(making the former easier).

That seems INSANE. It's essentially a 2nd level spell that acts as a waaaaay better Power Word Stun or some such. No HP restriction, still no save, only point of failure (for most enemies, it is subject to SR at least) is the attack roll of a full BaB class with Weapon Training, a potential further 1 per 3 levels attack bonus boost (which this guy doesn't have, to be fair), and a likely minimum of +4 from the class feature activated by the Power.

Am I missing something? I'm usually pretty liberal on high power options but HOLY ****. I'd love to hear what the thought process behind this was if any of the devs want to chime in (I know they hang out here sometimes, not sure how much they read other threads) or anybody knows an errata or somewhere it's been talked over before, and if anybody could point out anything similar for the Marksman I should watch out for as well.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press: What's up with the Marksman?

Re: Fury of a Single Blade - I think that the higher multiplier is because of this:
    Additional dice of damage from sources such as precision damage, weapon special abilities, or the like are not multiplied.
    With thrown weapons, source of bonus damage are usually a critical component. And the Mobile Blade would usually get some from Mobile Combat, plus anything from buffs, weapon abilities, etc. So just multiplying by the number of attacks would end up somewhat anemic compared to hitting with those attacks normally.

Re: Wind Strike - I have no idea either, no-save Daze sounds pretty crazy, especially at 5th level. It just says 'ranged attacks', so you could even use alchemical items or a gun and have it be touch attacks.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2017-06-15 at 12:37 AM.