New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Goblin hordes with goblin swords IC

Jax rifles through the elves' belongings. He finds little of use. Apart from the two shortswords, there are two longbows - too heavy for you to handle - and the leather armours that they wear - too big for you to wear. They were travelling light with a few ration packs and some waterskins but not much else. Fifteen copper pieces.

He's almost given up when he spots a strange metal tube on the belt of the one who attacked him on the horse. It's small and black, with two glass discs that cap the ends.

Still trying to work out what it is, he puts the tube to his eyes and gasps. He can see the hobgoblin camp in the distance. If he moves it around he can see other things too. Like the Greystone peaks in the distance, or the forest stretching out behind them, or the sun in the OH BY THE WHIP OF MAGLUBIYET! PAIN! CAN'T SEE!

This continues for some time.
    Last edited by Aardvark 001; 2017-06-26 at 02:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jax switches to his non-blind eye and continues looking around while he waits for the cooks to wrap up.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Adding 1 Spyglass to my inventory.
    Games GMed
    The Vanstermen: OOC - IC

3. - Top - End - #33

BardGuy

The horse cooked and parcelled and the elves stripped of their belongings - and their ears - you press on towards the camp. It doesn't take long before you can hear the clamour of the war camp in action.

As you approach, you realise the gravity and the urgency of your situation. This is no small gathering of forces. This camp is not the only one here. As you climb the hill you see the banners waving beyond it. Four more lie in the valley behind. This is a legion. At least five thousand goblins, bugbears and hobgoblins together, and probably with more arriving each day.

It has been centuries since the Great One called a host. The ranks of the goblinoids have swelled in that time. It seems your poisoned horseflesh will be of little use here. Surely it would take an entire army to bring down such a force.

As you come near the gates of the closest camp, you see two hobgoblins standing by in full war gear, arguing amongst themselves. As they notice you, they stop and share at your motley group.

Why are you not in uniform? one of them asks you. He's a large male with tusks that would rival an orc's. Which cohort do you belong to?

4. - Top - End - #34

GnomeWizardGuy

Jalub, feeling that he is obviously the most leaderly one here, despite not having really left his dungeon in some time, decides to attempt a few sentences of grunted speech. Talking, it seems, comes in handy when one's only friends aren't rocks and centipedes. "Advance scouts. Uniforms too bright. Brought elf ears and news. 3rd Cohort." He gestures to his friends with one hand to show the ears while the other fingers a pinch of fine sand in his bag.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's go with Deception (1d20+4)[24]

If the hobbos don't seem to be buying it, and no one else is around to see, Jalub doesn't see any reason not to get these guys in trouble for falling asleep on the job, so he throws the sand at them and sings a snippet of a goblin lullaby. Sleep (5d8)[24] hp worth of dudes fall asleep

If one or both fall asleep, he tattles on them to the nearest higher ranking hobbo he can see. "Sleep on job! Punish! Punish!" Hopefully, we can sneak in during the commotion.

In case it is needed: Sneak (1d20+2)[20]

5. - Top - End - #35

BardGuy

The hobgoblins don't even think to suspect you. Your words have their complete attention. Elves?! Where? And what news?
    Last edited by Aardvark 001; 2017-06-27 at 03:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

GnomeWizardGuy

Jalub points vaguely behind himself. "There. Scouts. News for commander only. Must enter." He moves to go past the hobbos and into the camp, having a mild heart attack along the way.

7. - Top - End - #37

BardGuy

The other hobgoblin, the slimmer of the two, gives an odd hacking chuckle. Right. It seems you aren't in this chain of command, Terr. He turns to you. I am the General's aide. Follow me. I'll take you to him. He walks briskly ahead, through the gates and into the camp.
    Last edited by Aardvark 001; 2017-06-28 at 05:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jax flashes a quick grin to Jalub and follows the aide into the camp. He has a haunch of horsemeat resting across his shoulders and his shield in his other hand, looking all while like some wild animal tamer. "'S'a lot of fighters here. How long till we march?" he asks their guide.
    Games GMed

9. - Top - End - #39

BardGuy

Three days, the hobgoblin says. He seems a bit surprised by your forwardness. We march south to join with the Greysnout family and then on to the battlegrounds.
    Last edited by Aardvark 001; 2017-06-29 at 03:47 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

how is supplies coming?
    Do you make it all here or what?

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

The town had supplies He waves his hand at the smouldering ruins that stand outside the camp. We have enough to last us a week.

He frowns. Which tribe did you say you're from?

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Rix Boltsnipe

You took the towns supplies?! Please tell me you didn't. Oh please tell me you didn't.
    Don't they tell you guys anything? Those supplies, you can't eat them!
    We got word that the foodsupplies in this area were tempered with by the Elves. Some kind of magic, or poison that only works against us greenskins.

Here look we have proof, they even tempered with the meat!

Rix grabs the hunch of poisoned meat and hands it to the Hobgoblin.

The Elves we killed were carrying it. Probably meant to poison even more towns.

Last edited by Aéquitas; 2017-07-01 at 02:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

BardGuy

The hobgoblin visibly relaxes. He gives you a toothy, patronising grin. That would make sense, except this is a human town. Aren't any elves round here for several miles. He takes the meat from you. Not sure what this is about. I'll have it looked at. Don't worry though. The food you've been eating isn't poisoned. He shakes his head, still grinning. You hear him mutter a quiet Dumb gobbos under his breath.

You come to a building in the centre of the camp. Unlike the others you passed, this one is well planned and carefully constructed. A heavy wooden construction with a columns holding up a large veranda that extends around all sides. The pennant of the Skullrend family flies above it.

In front of the building, occupying the very centre of the camp, is the shrine of Maglubiyet. A platform with an executioner's block, the headsman's axe wedged into the wood. On the stand beside it are the holy weapons of the goblinoid gods. Blood stains the block an angry red, reminding you of the fate that awaits those who defy the Great One's will.

Your guide takes you straight past the bugbear guards outside and into a small empty atrium. The decoration is spartan at best. Wait here, he says, going through a separate inner door.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Garshanka looks angrily at the others, the quietly says.Well that poison thing sure helped didn't it geniuses?
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Jax turns to the other goblin and in a harsh whisper says, "We are outgobbed, outmanned, outnumbered, and outplanned. This job is hard enough without infighting and backbiting." He directs his whisper to the group at large, less harsh now, "Anyone comes up with a plan, do not waste time tearing it apart or making fun of it. We're rabbits in a wolfden, only ones that don't wanna kill us is us."

Show
    Been on a Hamilton kick this weekend, couldn't pass up the references.
    Games GMed

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MintyNinja View Post
    Jax turns to the other goblin and in a harsh whisper says, "We are outgobbed, outmanned, outnumbered, and outplanned. This job is hard enough without infighting and backbiting." He directs his whisper to the group at large, less harsh now, "Anyone comes up with a plan, do not waste time tearing it apart or making fun of it. We're rabbits in a wolfden, only ones that don't wanna kill us is us."

Show
    Been on a Hamilton kick this weekend, couldn't pass up the references.
    Garshanka grits his teeth. I guess you're right, the most important thing is that we find another opportunity at that we do not throw away our shot.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Alflem rubs his long ears thinking They think is stupid. They think is cowards and we are weak. They are stupid for underestimating us. They believe us part of them marching with their banner. They let us in and trust us enough. All of this we use to our advantage.
    Poison may still work but not just how we intended. Maybe we cannot take them out all at once. Maybe we just weaken them from within. Find their water make them sick surely they don't have enough spell casters to purify everything. Weaken their equipment. Use the cover of sleep to our advantage. We will need to get our own untainted food. Hmm. Maybe make friends of other gobbos to uprise surely we outnumber them. Attack their lockouts and make it look like others tribes did it. Many ways to hurt without raising a hand. It may take more then three days but in that time we may be able to hurt them just enough to when they war they lose.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

No! Did you listen to shaman? Whole problem is that when we march we will lose and be attacked back! We need to mean that marching isn't done. Or that march is tiny and no back-attack comes.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

alright then. I threw out some ideas. Please let's hear some of yours to defeat multiple tribes within 3 days. Given our restrictions to me it is hopeless and we should go get our tribe to safety. This is the most logical set of action.
    Reduces the loss of life and we live which of course is a huge plus

20. - Top - End - #50

GnomeWizardGuy

Jalub tries to explain his vision, quietly, and again. "Will be no safety with war. Seen future. Hobbos have item of great power. If used, will bring every adventurer in world!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm okay with moving on to the next scene, which seems to be the commander?
    Last edited by OneFamiliarFace; 2017-07-07 at 02:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

BardGuy

Before your argument can get more heated, the door opens and your hobgoblin guide looks in. Follow me, he says. You walk in behind him, and enter into a large room.

The main feature of the room is the table which occupies most of its space. The surface is carved and sculpted into peaks and valleys and smooth polished oceans. On a tiny hill at the far end of the table stands a small figurine. A lone hobgoblin with an emperor's armour. And leaning on the table, like an angry god surveying his creation, stands the Emperor in the flesh.

Lord Skullrend stands no taller than the generals gathered around the table, but power emanates from him like an unstoppable wave, overpowering your senses. His eyes bore into you like gleaming obsidian. Speak your report, he says gruffly. Who were these elves? Whence did you come and how did you discover them?

22. - Top - End - #52

GnomeWizardGuy

Jalub - In the Hoblion's Den

Jalub goes shifty-eyed. How did they so quickly get themselves so deep in this mess? He takes a quick glance around the room to see if The Item is here. He wishes hobbos were more superstitious, like proper goblins, because then he could impress them with a little magic show. Instead, he has to resign himself to almost certain death due to the clear idiocy of his terrible plan. Time for some thrilling verbal heroics.

"Elves to the west. Our village destroyed. Sent by chieftain. Attacked by scouts along the way."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Perception (1d20+2)[21] to find The Item
    Arcana (1d20+2)[15] if I need it to recognize it

Deception (1d20+2)[20] to hopefully not be immediately killed

23. - Top - End - #53

BardGuy

Jalub

You cannot see anything out of the ordinary. There are magical items everywhere. Even a few wizards, judging by the strange armour and the rod focuses. It seems the army is not short of arcane support. But there is nothing here of the magnitude that you would expect.

The hobgoblin who led you in frowns at your words. You told me you were scouts from the third cohort...

Skullrend waves the matter away. That is hardly the issue here Albus. How many elves? What became of them?

The hobgoblin to his left barks a hacking laugh. He looks the oldest one here, with grizzled hair and several scars lining his still muscular arms. Does that really matter, Skullrend?
    If we cannot say the Greysnout clean to our side, we face a war before we even reach the elves. This whole matter will be a fool's endeavour.

Skullrend's eyes narrow. You forget your place, General Wargstone. If I were my father, your head would be mounted by the bugbears before nightfall.

If you were your father, emperor, I would have followed you to the depths of hell itself. He sighs and bows to the table. It is time for me to inspect the dawn patrol. Maglubiyet’s will be done. He strides out of the room, leaving the Emperor scowling at his back.

Skullrend turns back to you, now looking thoroughly put out.
    Last edited by Aardvark 001; 2017-07-10 at 04:26 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

GnomeWizardGuy

Jalub - The Only One in the Hoblion's Den?

Jalub's eyes narrow as the overly intelligent gate guard globs onto his mistruth. I must remember the things I have said. Too nervous. Still, seemed easier to track closer to the truth with the Big Sword. After the general exits, Jalub rubs his hands together, bows subserviently, if a little awkwardly, and tries to remember how civilized people talk. "Forgive Jalub, but the man speaks with impertinence to his Dominance." After a pause to let that land, he continues. "We but lowly goblins. Still, know location of elves. Could track, but need rest tonight. Permission to bunk in nearby hovel?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight (1d20+4)[20] to determine a good way to drive a wedge between the Emperor and the General

Persuasion (1d20+2)[14] to drive that wedge

25. - Top - End - #55

BardGuy

Another hobgoblin at the table snorts. Even the goblins laugh at us. Surely Wargstone must be dealt with. Some of the other hobgoblins nod their heads at this and mutter their agreement but most of them remain silent. Skullrend simply scowls.

General Wargstone is the greatest tactician in this camp. He addresses Jalub directly, but the muttering at the table dies down instantly. To speak against him,
    goblin, is to speak against my judgement. I trust you would not do anything so foolish.

Report to Sergeant Garrel at the third cohort. Tell him to prepare the cohort for inspection in half an hour. He'll show you where to bunk.

Your guide, Albus, leads you out of the command centre. He points to the eastern side of the camp. Third cohort is down there. You'd better make it quick. General Skullrend doesn't like to be kept waiting. He turns and goes back inside, shooting you a suspicious glance as he goes. It seems he still hasn't forgotten your slip up earlier.

You stand alone in the centre of the camp. Your plot with the poison seems to have failed, but perhaps there may be other ways to achieve what you want. Certainly this is not the united camp you would expect from a host of Maglubiyet. It seems your chief was not the only one to have his suspicions about this new emperor.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

This military is not united, if they march that will bring doom quicker but it may stop them from mareching. If we make the morale problems more obvious it may make the suicidle nature of this march more evident.