Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Now I'm thinking I should have made a Paladin20 - alignment disputes guaranteed to hijack any thread.
    Would they have been named Frederic, by any chance?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted_Scholar View Post
    Why do people think that the core books are balanced? Core contains some of the most unbalanced material in 3.5.
    It's not, but at the same time, "balance" doesn't matter nearly as much as forums think it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    I blame Glyphstone

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Oh yea, forgot to mention. My totally unoriginal idea was making Cortez from Thousand Year Door. No idea where I would have really went with it, but it was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seclora View Post
    Sorceror is like realizing you can pass the class with a C. So instead of spending 9 hours a week studying, you just write a decent paper the night before its due and graduate with the exact same diploma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Good ol' Faerun, can't chuck a fireball without hitting an invisible astral epic spellcaster.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

I was thinking of making a pirate that used an iceberg as his ship, seeing as how icebergs have vehicle rules...

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    I was thinking of making a pirate that used an iceberg as his ship, seeing as how icebergs have vehicle rules...
    You could just have submitted your entry from last round and it wouldn't have been out of place.
    Villainous Competition medals:
    Bronze for The Examiner
    Gold for Chaktok
    Gold for The Warden of Reality
    Honorable Mention:
    Cilawar

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Judgement here

Spoiler: Daggadol
    Show

• Originality: 4. Wow. I am just very surprised. I would never have guessed you would use a kraken, although it is pretty typical for a kraken to be throwing ships around and crushing them with brute strength. For a pirate, the classes are unexpected too, especially Hulking Hurler. Her backstory not so much, since love is a common villain motivation for doing things people would not do otherwise.
    • Power: 5. This is a pretty powerful villain. She can do well in melee and ranged combat. Clearly she is not good at that much outside but that is not what she is for.
    • Elegance: 4. All pretty elegant except for that one Hulking Hurler dip. I cannot see anything you don't qualify for.
    • Memorability: 3. Daggadol fights well, and there is another way to defeat her PCs might find interesting. However you have already said, she is a secondary villain type and in the end she is mainly just another random encounter, even if a big one. She doesn't really have any flashy tricks either, it's the big monster just ripping stuff up and chucking it around. She does steal, which is unusual for krakens, but that is already after most of the action is over.
    • Total: 16

Comments: This is an impressive villain when talking about size and shock value, but her motivations are not compelling. This is not someone you can build even part of a campaign around, and I doubt most PCs are going to seriously care about a kraken's tragic love story.
    Last edited by Yklikt; 2017-07-15 at 12:17 PM.
    Something to fight

6. - Top - End - #156

RogueGuy

So this is my first time in one of these, it seems like we have a major lack of judging is that often an issue?

7. - Top - End - #157

NecromancerGuy

It is at times.

I`ll try to judge too, if you`ll have me, but cannot promise the time this time. :(
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Kyra the Taker
    Show

• Originality: 1. The race, Darfellan, aquatic. No surprise there. Her classes are not at all unexpected for a pirate captain, and intimidation is a pretty well-used tactic. The only unusual parts of this build is the unarmed striking, but that is not enough to pull your score up. I also cannot give you points for backstory as 'a thug good at punching and sailing' is not a backstory.
    • Power: 3. Kyra is good at intimidation and sneak attacking, but especially at higher levels these are things it is common and easy to be immune to. You admitted she cannot stand up to PCs in close combat if she can't get them all at once. Ranged combat also feels like it might be a problem. I feel like you also wasted a lot of potential on all those Thug levels. You maybe could have used them for something more interesting.
    • Elegance: 3. Many problems here also. Most obvious? You have the Zhentarim fighter levels, but nowhere did you say you are a member of Zhentarim. No backstory strikes again. Then, at first level, you have 5 maxed skills but Thug only gives you 4. This problem continues with more levels. Then, the Marshal dip. Such a typical dip, doesn't help your case.
    • Memorability: 2. I just cannot see anything to differ her from a typical pirate. Unarmed fighting, maybe. That's it.
    • Total: 9

Comments: No backstory is hurting this character greatly. She has one commonly used trick, and a slightly unusual fighting style. PCs will remember a fight with her if you are lucky but they will not remember her.

Spoiler: Tadashi Shirahama, "The Wave Man"
    Show

• Originality: 3. Human, nothing special. The eastern themed classes are something new, Scarlet Corsair is not. On the whole his story is nothing special but the eastern elements make it a little unusual.
    • Power: 4. He has an interesting fighting style with lots of things he can do. For a fighter I think he is pretty high scoring. However, it seems like he cannot handle ranged opponents so well.
    • Elegance: 2. You seem to qualify for everything, but 4 dips is painful to your score. The build is not a simple one to use and track all the different abilities.
    • Memorability: 3. Eastern fluff and a varied fighting style will make the villain memorable, but motivations are nothing special.
    • Total: 13

Comments: I like the overall concept but as a character he does not have much real personality apart from cruelty.

Spoiler: The Sea Dirge
    Show

• Originality: 5. This is just amazing. The most original entry here, a corrupting bard boat. Race, classes are things I absolutely could not have guessed, just that.
    • Power: 5. For a bard, the closest I can compare this to, this is pretty powerful. The spells are good and it has some music. It can do it's corruption thing well and even if it somehow gets into a fight its still a giant ship.
    • Elegance: 1. No dips, it all works well and qualify for everything. Except... How do you get your Intelligence score? Without that, this doesn't work as a villain AT ALL. It cannot even take class levels.
    • Memorability: 4. While this is an amazing concept the players may not even realise it is there if it does its job well. So I must take a point off here
    • Total: 15

Comments: I've said all I can. This is just amazing. Apart from the Intelligence problem, which is a big one.
    Last edited by Yklikt; 2017-07-10 at 12:37 PM.
    Something to fight

9. - Top - End - #159

Just a note, Yklikt. It appears you skipped over the first build and judged the next four. Just wanting to make sure you eventually get back to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seclora View Post
    Sorceror is like realizing you can pass the class with a C. So instead of spending 9 hours a week studying, you just write a decent paper the night before its due and graduate with the exact same diploma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Good ol' Faerun, can't chuck a fireball without hitting an invisible astral epic spellcaster.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Just a note, Yklikt. It appears you skipped over the first build and judged the next four. Just wanting to make sure you eventually get back to it.
    Yeah I will

Spoiler: Ulgaal, the Planar Corsair
    Show

• Originality: 3. It is unusual to advance the villain without classes, even in this competition. I have only seen this one time before. Optimization of rebuking is also pretty standout, as most of the time it is dismissed as a useless tactic. You do have some cool mechanical tricks like squid jetbikes and skeleton elsewhales, but sadly, I cannot give you the points because even you have admitted you didn't come up with it yourself. Also, you cannot get points for original fluff, because there is none

• Power: 4. Ulgaal is a pretty powerful caster but at higher levels he cannot get the same kind of power with the highest level spells as a PC full caster. Rebuking has been optimised but getting the exact minions you want is also hard. Also I think you wasted a lot of potential power on the Corpsecrafter feats which are useless for you.

• Elegance: 4. One problem, Corpsecrafter feat line. It is useless for you. Other than that I see no problems with the build.

• Memorability: 4. The whole ghost ship theme is definitely frightening, and the visual of riding the skeleton elsewhales around and jetbikes is good. However Ulgaal doesn't seem to have a lot of motivation other than just being really evil. That hurts your score here.

• Total: 15

Comments: This is mechanically original, and the image it presents is scary and good for villains. But like a lot of other villains this round I cannot tell why he does what he does.
    Last edited by Yklikt; 2017-07-11 at 01:22 AM.
    Something to fight

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Yklikt, if you were worried about your capacity as a judge, you can rest assured that you seem to have done a more than adequate job. Thanks for judging

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is kinda an awkward question, but what is the proper method (if there is one) for me to point out an apparent rules problem that a judge appears to have missed?

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    This is kinda an awkward question, but what is the proper method (if there is one) for me to point out an apparent rules problem that a judge appears to have missed?
    In the op it say not to mention it but if you think it really important Im OK if you pm me
    Something to fight

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yklikt View Post
    In the op it say not to mention it but if you think it really important Im OK if you pm me
    All right, I'll do that.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

The normal dispute process is you PM Thurbane and he'll post it anonymously in the thread for the judge to react to.
    fight my brute! it's a lot of fun
    Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition
    Iron Chef Deep Freeze: Turning Tables on Old Dishes

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

All right, I'll do that.
    Right. I took what you mentioned into consider now

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    The normal dispute process is you PM Thurbane and he'll post it anonymously in the thread for the judge to react to.
    Well actually the rule say he not allowed to say anything at all. But Im OK if he thinks it is important so I told him to pm me. He not the competitor of the build you see
    Something to fight

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Right. I took what you mentioned into consider now

Well actually the rule say he not allowed to say anything at all. But Im OK if he thinks it is important so I told him to pm me. He not the competitor of the build you see
    The rule in the OP stems from a round where disputes from the sidelines caused issues. This is why every dispute should be run through the chairman.
    Avatar by the amazing Cuthalion.

Natural 1 on every attack role since 2003.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Korahir View Post
    The rule in the OP stems from a round where disputes from the sidelines caused issues. This is why every dispute should be run through the chairman.
    Thats why I told him pm since only builder can dispute
    Last edited by Yklikt; 2017-07-11 at 12:51 AM.
    Something to fight

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Which you shouldn't have done. Instead tell him to pm the chairman and Thurbane can decide whether the dispute is necessary and forward it to you anonymiously or deem it not relevant. Every dispute is filtered by the chairman to guarantee a civilized dispute process which shouldn't mean that anything happened this round that is a major problem but it is just a safety measure.
    Avatar by the amazing Cuthalion.

Natural 1 on every attack role since 2003.

20. - Top - End - #170

I believe the reasoning behind curbing sideline rules corrections on the judges was so that judges wouldn't have to defend their judging from a million people who view something differently and to put any defense of the build in the builder's hands. That way judges are under less flak from people who don't really have any cards in the competition.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

That why I told him to pm me so it is just one person. Of course I dont want a fight like happened earlier but is also important to judge accurately.

He cannot do dispute by rules anyway because he not make the build

Not say every judge should this way, I just say if he want to pm me about it, I am ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Korahir View Post
    Which you shouldn't have done. Instead tell him to pm the chairman and Thurbane can decide whether the dispute is necessary and forward it to you anonymiously or deem it not relevant. Every dispute is filtered by the chairman to guarantee a civilized dispute process which shouldn't mean that anything happened this round that is a major problem but it is just a safety measure.
    Even chairman has said we judge on own standard, so I should decide relevant or not.

Of course disputes being different but because that is already there system
    Something to fight

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

The correct method, as per the OP, is to wait until AFTER the final reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    That's actually not correct either.

It's not for any spectators to comment on the legality or any other issues with an entry.

If someone feels strongly enough that they simply MUST comment on it, then commit to full judging and post the issue there.

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    I believe the reasoning behind curbing sideline rules corrections on the judges was so that judges wouldn't have to defend their judging from a million people who view something differently and to put any defense of the build in the builder's hands. That way judges are under less flak from people who don't really have any cards in the competition.
    And that is exactly the point, thank you.

Similar instances have seriously derailed previous competitions.

And knowing full well it was the wrong thing, you asked to be PMd anyway.

I'm getting close to enacting another ban here. Please consider this a first and final warning.

In fact, I'm getting close to quitting this thing all together. Although I suspect that's what some people want, so part of me wants to stubbornly stick with it.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW SOMETHING WORKS, PM ME (AND ONLY ME) AND WAIT FOR AN ANSWER! THIS GOES FOR EVERYBODY! NO VIGILANTE JUDGING OR TRYING TO CIRCUMVENT ESTABLISHED COMPETITION RULES!

I'm getting really sick of people trying to pre-empt me or question how I do things.
    Last edited by Thurbane; 2017-07-11 at 02:28 AM.
    Villainous Competition XXI​: Yarr!

Entries to competitions:
    Filia
    Kinvig

A photo of my D&D group (yes, my wife plays too) taken at my recent wedding - we all posed as if we were rolling dice. I'm the one in the middle:
    Spoiler
    Show

Official 3.5 WotC Archives | LA +1 & LA +2 Player Race List
    d20 Town Generator | d20 Treasure Generator | DM Tools

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Here are the disputes so far. In case I need to spell it out, please reply to these publically, in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Ulgaal
    Thanks for judging Yklikt! One dispute:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yklikt
    Elegance: 4 One problem, Corpsecrafter feat line. It is useless for you. Other than that I see no problems with the build.
    Ulgaal creates hordes of undead with his SLA Create Undead and Animate Dead and all of those gain the buffs of the corpsecrafter feat line. Can you go into more detail why that is useless? Do you think that the Corpsecrafter feat line doesn't work with Spell like abilities because I am almost 100% sure they do. Spell like abilities are spells cast but cannot be changed by metamagic feats. The Corpsecrafter line of feats are not metamagic feats, they simply apply to all necromancy spells casted to create undead, no matter if it is an SLA or not.
    There may be another to follow.

PS are the forums acting really glitchy for anyone else recently? In the last couple of days, some threads won;t load, or won't load a reply screen properly?

Entries to competitions:
    Filia
    Kinvig

A photo of my D&D group (yes, my wife plays too) taken at my recent wedding - we all posed as if we were rolling dice. I'm the one in the middle:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry If I made you mad Thurbane, But the guy who wanted to pm is not a builder of the thing. Because Im not sure you got that.

Not trying to question your way which is why I didnt want him to say out here, but since also only the Builders can dispute I thought it is better if this guy who is not a builder did this way, thats all. I thought the rules is to stop an argument in the open of people who are not Builders. So I talk to him privately. I did not know that was wrong, I will not do it later.

To Ulgaal:

Text from Corpsecrafter:

Each undead you raise or create with any necromancy spell gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and +2 hit points per Hit Die.

SLAs are not spells. No change to your score.
    Something to fight

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry If I made you mad Thurbane, But the guy who wanted to pm is not a builder of the thing. Because Im not sure you got that.
    Yes, I amended my post after I realised.

I value your judging, we are always grateful for someone to take the time to judge.

If you ever have any questions about how things are done here, please ask me and wait for a reply. Do not make your own call on how things should be handled.

Judges have freedom on their judging criteria; this does not mean they get to selectively ignore established rules or procedures.

Entries to competitions:
    Filia
    Kinvig

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Yes, I amended my post after I realised.

I value your judging, we are always grateful for someone to take the time to judge.

If you ever have any questions about how things are done here, please ask me and wait for a reply. Do not make your own call on how things should be handled.

Judges have freedom on their judging criteria; this does not mean they get to selectively ignore established rules or procedures.
    Ok. Im sorry about that, I did not get fully how the rule works. But now I do. In fact earlier one contestant who I think did not know how to dispute went to pm me also, I told him he should pm you instead. Because I know at least if a builder has problem it is dispute. I will not say his name.
    Something to fight

27. - Top - End - #177
    Halfling in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Wow Thurbane, if you are this stressed maybe you should let someone take over, give you a break.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novolin View Post
    Wow Thurbane, if you are this stressed maybe you should let someone take over, give you a break.
    Taking over for some time would be no problem for me. Just tell me if you'd like me to.
    Gold: the color of lawful neutrality.

Have you had enough of unreasonably high LA's and unplayable monsters in 3.5? Then check out the LA-assignment thread! Don't hesitate to give feedback!

I finally got an extended signature!

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Taking over for some time would be no problem for me. Just tell me if you'd like me to.
    I'm not stressed as such, just getting frustrated with a couple of forum users.

I'll be fine, but thanks for the offer.

Entries to competitions:
    Filia
    Kinvig

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

We seem a bit short on judges, so I'll throw my name into the ring. Might not be able to complete them until Thursday though, today and tomorrow are going to be busy.

First time judge too, so I'll have to recheck how people judged in the past few competitions and make a framework for myself