Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

I'm sorry for sparking such a controversy, everyone. I'll make sure to comply with the competition rules in the future.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I'm sorry for sparking such a controversy, everyone. I'll make sure to comply with the competition rules in the future.
    It more my fault since I told you wrong thing to do
    Something to fight

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I'm not stressed as such, just getting frustrated with a couple of forum users.
    Don´t fret. Cool competition so far, amusing, educating and a good read. Job Well done. (Now get over your PF bias :D)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    PS are the forums acting really glitchy for anyone else recently? In the last couple of days, some threads won;t load, or won't load a reply screen properly?
    yep! I have had that happening to me in the last couple days, it is soooo annoying
    Muad'drin tia dar allende caba'drin rhiadem! Los Valdar Cuebiyari! Los! Carai an Caldazar! Al Caldazar!

Spoiler: QUOTES
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Cats View Post
    Oh wadda you know Gary you're just a baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Celestial avocado salad, that's awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    Yes, but immunity to wizard and resistance to fighter kinda makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    So, point to D&D for mythological accuracy. Savor it—it's a pretty rare occurrence.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Don´t fret. Cool competition so far, amusing, educating and a good read. Job Well done. (Now get over your PF bias :D)
    You know, you could always step up and be the Chairman of your very own Pathfinder Optimization contest!

Not sure what you'd call it. Iron Chef Optimization - Pathfinder edition? Who knows? But there's plenty of room to explore. For reference, here are the various optimization contest that run or have run here in the past:

• Iron Chef Optimization - Take the ingredient (a crummy Prestige Class) and make a good build out of it.
    • Zinc Saucier - Try to make a build that functions identically to the ingredient without actually using the ingredient.
    • Junkyard Wars - Use Ingredient A & B, but you cannot use Ingredient C. (For an example, use Conjuration (Healing) spells + Ruby Knight Vindicator, but you can't use Cleric).
    • Scrap Iron Chef - I think this one involved a required ingredient and ... a theme?
    • Villainous Competition - Build a Villain that fits the theme and has the required elements. Runs on CR.

I feel like I'm missing one more, but can't recall at the moment.

I don't know Pathfinder well, but I'm sure there's an option that could work.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

But then he cannot compete
    Something to fight

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yklikt View Post
    But then he cannot compete
    Hmm, good point.

Florian, if you are interested in an Optimization Comp that features Pathfinder, I'll make you a deal. Help me set it up, and I'll chair it. Given my lack of Pathfinder knowledge, I'd make a terrible contestant or judge, but I could probably manage the Chairman seat. Spin off a separate thread to discuss it (and let folks chip in) if you are interested.
    Last edited by Deadline; 2017-07-11 at 11:55 AM.

Signature of Holding

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

Disputes part two:

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dirge
    Hey, so someone apparently started PMing judges that my admission doesn't work by the rules. I don't want to post anything directly in the thread because I don't want to mess up the blind judging, so I thought maybe I would PM you? As stated in my entry, The Sea Dirge was created by an epic spell. I didn't go into the specifics of the spell or the caster as I thought that was outside the bounds of the competition, but as you can see here:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Life_(Epic_Spell_Seed)

according to the second and third paragraphs it works just fine. I don't know the rules here that well but if you passing that along to the thread is allowed, I'd appreciate it, since someone already broke the rules (I think that is against the rules?) by talking to judges about rules issues with my entry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dirge
    Just confirm in the thread that my monster (The Sea Dirge) has a legitimate way of working by the rules, and that the person who claimed otherwise was both mistaken and that it was against the rules for them to PM judges about it. I'm hoping that's all that is necessary, as the only person who has judged thus far lowered my score after getting a PM from someone claiming my entry was no good.
    ...a note to entrants, if you want me to post disputes, please post verbatim what you want me to post. Thanks.
    Villainous Competition XXI​: Yarr!

Entries to competitions:
    Filia
    Kinvig

A photo of my D&D group (yes, my wife plays too) taken at my recent wedding - we all posed as if we were rolling dice. I'm the one in the middle:
    Spoiler
    Show

Official 3.5 WotC Archives | LA +1 & LA +2 Player Race List
    d20 Town Generator | d20 Treasure Generator | DM Tools

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XX​I: Yarr!

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    Thanks.

I hear your pain about PF, but as others have suggested, maybe start up a comp for a PF equivalent.

Entries to competitions:
    Filia
    Kinvig

A photo of my D&D group (yes, my wife plays too) taken at my recent wedding - we all posed as if we were rolling dice. I'm the one in the middle:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sea Dirge:

Im sorry Sea Dirge, all I can see is some fluff about great spells, but you didnt say that that is the spell you are using in the actual entry. If you dont give me the way your build gets intelligent in the entry itself I should think it doesn't count for you to put it in a dispute.

Unless if missed it. Then please quote the part where it say you are using this epic spell from the entry.

Just asking, why did you do two disputes at once

Chairman I am assuming this way, not letting dispute add new info, is correct? From what I have seen in past it is consistent.

I also want to add, whether or not the person who pm me is against rules or not, if he is correct about the rule I do not feel as judge I can ignore it.

Since judge must try be fair
    Something to fight

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

The two disputes/posts is due to a reply to me, so don't hold it against the entry.

It's up to individual judges, but generally speaking if the info wasn't present at time of posting, the judge will base judgement only on what was in the reveal post.

Entries to competitions:
    Filia
    Kinvig

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Dwarf in the Playground

Apologies- I'd hoped to get all of the judging done today, but due to travel difficulties (turns out when the bus company say one stop, they really mean another), I'll be doing it piece by piece on mobile. So yeah, if I miss something, which I probably will since first time and mobile is a fun combo, definitely do call it out in a dispute.

As for my judging criteria, I'm shamelessly cribbing them from Inevitability and Greydeath.

Spoiler: Originality
    Show

-Start at 1.
    -If the race is something I've never really seen before? Up to +1.
    - Would I expect the classes in a normal game? Another +1 is up for grabs here.
    - Are the classes, race or fluff something I'd expect given the competition criteria? Differs from the first two points in that something can be uncommon in regular games, but still be expected given the theme. I'll give up to 0.75 for each of the three for a maximum total of 1.5.
    - Does it do a trick that's not something you'd normally see? Room for another 0.5 here.

Spoiler: Elegance
    Show

Starting at 3 here.

Up to +2.0 for "Single Class+Prestige Class Build, fully legal, no cheese. Note that taking multiple prestige classes is fine so long as you take them fully.
    Up to +1.0 for "not overly complicated, fully legal, no cheese)

Up to -1 for excessive Dipping (more than 2, and for obvious, always done things) Taking large amounts of multiple classes is better than taking small amounts of lots of classes.
    Up to -1.5 for Illegalities of any colour that are not explicitly forbidden in the rules if it was theoretically possible for the build to work without them.
    -0.1 for each flaw, with a maximum penalty of -0.25 in this area.

Auto 1.0 if there is an Illegality that is explicitly forbidden in the rules and the build does not work without it.

(Yup, pretty much copy and pasted from Greydeath. Hope he doesn't mind, but I feel like this is the criteria that makes the most sense - for me I'll be focusing on it mechanically in this section. Note that while you might get penalised for dipping, if you do it in an original way (so, for example, not a 2 level dip in Barbarian) I'll probably end up giving points back with the originality section)

Spoiler: Power
    Show

First off, a disclaimer. Power is one of those things that both varies from table to table, and concept to concept. I'm predominantly going to judge this off of how well you achieve what you set out to do. In other words, mundanes typically have a lower bar here.

Starting score is 3, minimum score of 1.

-Requiring specific magic items is up to -1 unless you can either craft said items yourself. If it's a magic weapon, so long as the weapon is fairly interchangable (eg your entire strategy isn't centered around specific enchantments), that's fine and will not incur a penalty.
    -Glaring weaknesses that aren't intentional as part of the concept are up to -1. If you're the wicked witch of the west, melting when a girl throws a bucket of water at you won't be penalised here, if you catch my drift.
    - Can't do what you set out to do? Up to another -1 here. If you're a fighter I expect you to be able to hold your own in a fight. Casters are expected to be able to cast, and so on.
    -Did you aim too low? While it's fine to have intentional weaknesses due to your concept, and I'm not expecting you to be Pun Pun, you do need to be a threat in some way. Up to -1 for this.

- Able to be a threat in multiple ways? Up to +1.5 here. Being threatening both in combat and outside of combat will score highly here.
    -Able to do what you set out to do? Up to another 0.5 available here, depending on how high you set that bar for yourself.

Spoiler: Memorability
    Show

Largely based off of how likely it is I'd remember your villain a while from now if I were to play in a campaign against them. Starts at 1 here, as always a minimum of 1 point.
    - Got an interesting trick to prevent it from just being another fight? Up to +1 here.
    - Got interesting fluff? Up to 2 points here.
    - Am I going to remember why I fought them, or will it just be because they were there? Up to + or - 1 point, depending on the answer.
    Last edited by Gellhorn; 2017-07-13 at 08:52 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nice to have fellow judge, but your elegance is put as power
    Something to fight

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whelp, don't know how I did that. Fixed!

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, how soon to expect first judging?
    Something to fight

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

So, how soon to expect first judging?
    I was just about to ask you how your judging is coming along, as it looks like you still have about 6 to go.

Signature of Holding

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    I was just about to ask you how your judging is coming along, as it looks like you still have about 6 to go.
    Slow as quite busy, here is one.

Spoiler: Ebbeth Unyak
    Show

• Originality: 3. You are good at this storm theme, but that is not an original one. Races and classes are pretty expected, except maybe Druid. The backstory is just explaining how she is getting her abilities, but not clear drives and motivations.
    • Power: 5. As a caster, Ebbeth is just okay, definitely not great. The same goes for the bard abilities. This is what happen with the large amount of multiclassing. However, that is still a significant amount of power, and what Ebberth really stands out for is storm themed abilities. Reading this entry feel everything flow together in a distinct way that retains full power, so I give a full score here.
    • Elegance: 5. Qualifies for everything, no dips, generally all goes together.
    • Memorability: 4. Here is an amazing storm themed villain with many dramatic powers, but unfortunately I must say her motivations are not clear enough.
    • Total: 17

Comments: I like the feel of this villain very much, but despite a decently written backstory I am not really feeling much of a character in her. That is what hurts her concept as a whole.
    Something to fight

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Novolin View Post
    Judges so slow and unreliable now
    Don't discourage new judges.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

They should be inspired to be better than Novolin
    Something to fight

20. - Top - End - #200
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Novolin View Post
    Judges so slow and unreliable now
    Obviously it is because we no longer have your greatness and guidance to help all of us see the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seclora View Post
    Sorceror is like realizing you can pass the class with a C. So instead of spending 9 hours a week studying, you just write a decent paper the night before its due and graduate with the exact same diploma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Good ol' Faerun, can't chuck a fireball without hitting an invisible astral epic spellcaster.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Oh wow, novolin deleted a post before I could report it, what a shock! Thanks for quoting, people.
    fight my brute! it's a lot of fun
    Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition
    Iron Chef Deep Freeze: Turning Tables on Old Dishes

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Oh wow, novolin deleted a post before I could report it, what a shock! Thanks for quoting, people.
    I reported it

23. - Top - End - #203

NecromancerGuy

I do not mind Gellhorn, rather the opposite.

Also I.will have.time.to.judge tomorrow and.sunday, all.should be up then unless.i run into something.really strange...;)
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

I hope I can finish then also.

Gray death, why so many period
    Something to fight

25. - Top - End - #205

I hope I can finish then also.

Gray death, why so many period
    Because some of us post from a phone, and at times it is hard to differentiate between the space and period button, and once it is typed it is hardly worth the effort to fix it when no meaning is lost.
    Sorceror is like realizing you can pass the class with a C. So instead of spending 9 hours a week studying, you just write a decent paper the night before its due and graduate with the exact same diploma.
    Good ol' Faerun, can't chuck a fireball without hitting an invisible astral epic spellcaster.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

That makes sense

What I surprised actually is that not more disputes.
    Something to fight

27. - Top - End - #207

That makes sense

What I surprised actually is that not more disputes.
    Now allow me to counter with my own question. Instead of using the edit button, like it is designed for, why do you delete your post, then repost it mildly changed?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Now allow me to counter with my own question. Instead of using the edit button, like it is designed for, why do you delete your post, then repost it mildly changed?
    I dont really know what is counter meaning in this, but because if I have something new to say it look more ugly to have two post next to each other from same person.

If someone already has post after then it looks okay to just post
    Something to fight

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

I dont really know what is counter meaning in this, but because if I have something new to say it look more ugly to have two post next to each other from same person.

If someone already has post after then it looks okay to just post
    Just use the edit button. That's what it's for.
    Awesome custom psywar avatar made by Coronalwave. Thanks dude!

Most of my old signature has been moved to the new extended signature.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Just use the edit button. That's what it's for.
    Well, I find it same. I use edit anyway if want to change what already have say
    Something to fight