Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 31819202122232425262728
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread X: A Series of Unfortunate Cliffhangers

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    If someone were to suggest to support dying children in Africa, I'd be very happy to donate a few of my dollars. But if someone were to say support dying children in Africa, using cryptocurrency, I'd be like NOPE NOPE NOPE. Cryptocurrency are intersection between anarcho-capitalism, get-rich-quick schemes and money laundering. Admittedly, it's slightly better its not a drive by cryptocurrency mining, but that's like saying getting shot by a handgun is slightly better than being shot with a sniper rifle.
    Cryptocurrency also has the inherent flaws of driving up the prices of equipment for other computer hobbyists (especially the Etherium boom, which obliterated the availability of current-generation graphics cards) and Bitcoin alone burning more power than some nations (estimated to be more than Portugal at the moment, and around 8-12% of Germany or France's power consumption).

3DS Friend Code: 4742-9573-4652

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by virgileso View Post
    Ashley does actually have a Patreon account. She still needs to do Kickstarters for print copies of her book, and it sounds like she is definitely not doing as well as Rob is, financially - which is a bloody travesty.
    That's not what I meant. Ashley doesn't OWN her own Patreon. She pays fees (about 3-15%) to Patreon like the others. Rob didn't want to pay, so he instructed his current admin to make a mini version of Patreon (See Toolbox).

Now, this isn't enough for Rob, and he wants gullible shmucks to mine Etherium, so there are no ads.

Also once we reach glorious $2000, Rob will start working on Erfworld The Game The Movie The Sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Cryptocurrency also has the inherent flaws of driving up the prices of equipment for other computer hobbyists (especially the Etherium boom, which obliterated the availability of current-generation graphics cards) and Bitcoin alone burning more power than some nations (estimated to be more than Portugal at the moment, and around 8-12% of Germany or France's power consumption).
    Not only that, but it's essentially investing time into what's essentially a sequence of pump-and-dump schemes, and some really shady stuff, that probably crosses the line of political talk.
    Ruler of Floating pyramids.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

I really think you are misunderstanding what is going on with the Etherium mining.

First, Rob addressed the issue of wearing out your GPU card. Basically, he says that he has checked the code in operation to make sure it won't melt your GPU. Others in the form threads discussing this very issue have pointed out that the worst thing for a GPU is the startup and shutdown, and since this keeps it in constant use, that basically eliminates that issue.

Second, Rob has a choice between scummy ads (Internet advertising is so cheap because no one spends the human time to validate ads before running them. It's not that you cannot validate them, it's that doing this raises the cost of advertising the point that it is no longer viable) and the significantly less scummy option that he chose.

Mining for Erf World gives you gems, which can be traded for Schmuckers.

Rob does not get $2000 in profit for each update. He gets $2000 now and $2000 in future liability. Now granted, that $2000 in future liability might only have an actual cost to him of $1000, and he may very well be expecting at least half of this will not be spent. But what you are going to see is people who are willing to do some mining, trade their gems for Smuckers, and then use those Schmuckers to buy store items. This is actually going to increase the rate at which Schmuckers are converted into items, and reduce his profits.

His business model matches that of the old savings stamps (remember how you used to get stamps at grocery stores when you bought things? Remember how you could trade the stamps in for items? Remember how those companies had huge amounts of cash reserves because they even defended to the IRS they had huge amounts of potential liability? Remember how they all went out of business?). This is a risky model. The upkeep system seems to have been phased out, so something which would have actually turned this liability into profit is now off the table.

No, Rob is not a Hussey. He is not a one man, "does everything" person. Few people are. Saying that because he is not one of the extremely exceptional than he is horrible, is a horrible comparison. He has to hire people to help him, and that means he has to pay them. He has to pay people to help with the website programming; he has to pay others to make the items that he sells; he has to pay people to help him draw, ink, color, etc. what he writes; etc. All of that costs money.

He is trying to move away from advertising that nobody likes. He is trying to do a system that has people voluntarily using some computing resources (and electricity) in a way which covers the money that he needs to run the site. And he is rewarding those people with what effectively amounts to free merchandise. (Before you complain about shipping costs, shipping has become very expensive in the last couple of years. Basically, if you are not using international mail from another country, then shipping costs real money.)
    So you'll insert the horse into the Large Hadron Collider next?
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that he can't moderate his ads when literally thousands of other sites manage to do so. We're literally on a site right now that manages to moderate their ads and live off the revenue generated by their comic. This is nothing but another transparent excuse to grab for more money. And a poor one.

Also, anyone who tells you that constantly running your GPU at full capacity with no breaks isn't going to wear it out is either an idiot or a liar. Maybe you shouldn't be blindly trusting the con artist and his fan club for information about how safe the scam they're running is.
    Last edited by Anteros; Yesterday at 07:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mining Cryptocurrency?! I... Don't even.

There are so many things wrong with this I can't even list them all. But I can't help but be a little impressed at the new level of creativity in Robs get-rich-quick schemes.

Here's an idea: Hire less computer guys and more artists! They are a lot cheaper anyway. Get stuff done. Sell printed mugs and t-shirts and plush Dwagons.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    I really think you are misunderstanding what is going on with the Etherium mining.

First, Rob addressed the issue of wearing out your GPU card. Basically, he says that he has checked the code in operation to make sure it won't melt your GPU. Others in the form threads discussing this very issue have pointed out that the worst thing for a GPU is the startup and shutdown, and since this keeps it in constant use, that basically eliminates that issue.
    That's not the real concern with Etherium and graphics cards. Properly set up, Etherium is far less stressful on the card than running some AAA game on max settings for the same time period... but that isn't relevant.

Etherium has greatly increased the demand for graphics cards because it is currently very profitable (or expected to be so) to purchase a great number of those cards (i.e. buy every last one in stock in a 50 mile radius) for the express purpose of mining Etherium. Both nVidia and AMD are only producing so many of each chipset at a time, and when 90% of the cards are purchased by people who expect to gain massive long-term profits, the price increases drastically--it costs nearly 80% more to buy the same graphics card now that I had purchased the week before the boom started, and that's not even the biggest markup.

3DS Friend Code: 4742-9573-4652

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I just realized that the latest update explains where Charlie gets all of his Parson's World lingo from. The Arken-Dish lets him watch Parson's World Television. I don't believe this was mentioned before and Charlie's lingo once fueled the fan-theory that Charlie was from Parson's World. A theory that should be truly dead by now.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    I just realized that the latest update explains where Charlie gets all of his Parson's World lingo from. The Arken-Dish lets him watch Parson's World Television. I don't believe this was mentioned before and Charlie's lingo once fueled the fan-theory that Charlie was from Parson's World. A theory that should be truly dead by now.
    I'm fairly certain that prior updates have mentioned extra-universe channels.
    Are you a PTU fan who likes play by post? Well, we've now made a forum specifically for you. Come check it out, and join the community!

List of Magic Items. Only Mostly Useless...