New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Banned

Default Re: Erfworld Thread X: A Series of Unfortunate Cliffhangers

I'm always amazed by the sheer volume some artists can put out in comparison to another. When you look at things like Tower of God where the artist is basically putting out 10-15 well drawn comics every week and then compare it to something like Goblins or Erfworld where they constantly struggle to maintain a fraction of that pace.

That said, if Erfworld has to take a break to get a new artist or whatever then so be it. It's not like they can update without one. I think they probably could have avoided this current backlash if they simply gave the fan base a bit more warning that the hiatus was coming up though.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Do think the artist behind unsounded is the one that maintains most impressive ratio between quality of drawins and speed of updates though. ToG does have more pages, but i dont think they have nearly the same quality as Ashley.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

3. - Top - End - #213
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Do think the artist behind unsounded is the one that maintains most impressive ratio between quality of drawins and speed of updates though. ToG does have more pages, but i dont think they have nearly the same quality as Ashley.
    I don't follow Unsounded so I don't really have grounds to say. I'm sure both are good.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I'm always amazed by the sheer volume some artists can put out in comparison to another. When you look at things like Tower of God where the artist is basically putting out 10-15 well drawn comics every week and then compare it to something like Goblins or Erfworld where they constantly struggle to maintain a fraction of that pace.
    Most people would be so bad or slow at it that they wouldn't even try. To me, those who can turn out pages slowly are merely somewhere on a continuum between those who can create good pages quickly and those who can't do it at all. The people who are really good are kind of amazing to me, but that's true for a lot of careers and hobbies and such.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Most people would be so bad or slow at it that they wouldn't even try. To me, those who can turn out pages slowly are merely somewhere on a continuum between those who can create good pages quickly and those who can't do it at all. The people who are really good are kind of amazing to me, but that's true for a lot of careers and hobbies and such.
    In addition, webcomics like Gunnerkrigg Court, Unsounded, or Kill Six Billion Demons are at an advantage over webcomics like Girl Genius or Erfworld - the writer is the artist, so they can be thinking of the plot line while sketching and vice versa, and they don't need to split comic income across two or more households.

Erfworld has had Jamie for Book 1, Xin for Book 2, David for the first half of Book 3, Xin+Lauri, for the second half, and now Xin+? for Book 4.

There's also one misconception I've seen about the $1800 per online update - the team don't get that as a lump sum. Instead it's effectively store credit for the merchandise, so whatever % profit they make off the books etc. would be their real income from it.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doran View Post
    In addition, webcomics like Gunnerkrigg Court, Unsounded, or Kill Six Billion Demons are at an advantage over webcomics like Girl Genius or Erfworld - the writer is the artist, so they can be thinking of the plot line while sketching and vice versa, and they don't need to split comic income across two or more households.
    Girl Genius technically merges the jobs of writer and artist, but it's unusual in that respect - it has a professional colorist, Cheyenne Wright, and it also has both Phil and Kaja as full-time writers and artists both, so while that part of the income technically is only going to one "household", it's income for two people (since if they weren't both working on it, one of them could be working elsewhere instead.) Of course, having three people working on it full-time, two of them married, is probably also why Girl Genius is able to update so rapidly and reliably on-time. It doesn't hurt that all three are extremely experienced (they were writing comics all the way back in the 80's.)

Of the others, Unsounded and I believe Gunnerkrigg Court take regularly, lengthy hiatuses, while Abaddon is a fiery demonic machine in an envelope of human flesh and does not need to eat or sleep, stopping only to breathe for an instant every third day.

(More seriously, he has made it clear that he his essentially pouring his entire life into the comic to reach the current levels of output solo.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2017-07-17 at 07:48 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

While you can't really compare the quality of the artwork with some of the top webcomics out there, the sheer creative stamina of Zach Weinersmith is just ridiculous. Due to occasional bonus comics, his Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal updates more than daily! While also making artwork for his occasional books, and a guest comic here and there. AND organizing multiple Festivals of Bad Ad Hoc Hypothesis. While being a father to, if I'm not mistaken, two small children. The dude is a neverending unstoppable engine of illustrated nerdy jokes.
    Last edited by danelsan; 2017-07-17 at 09:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Banned

I think it's probably a whole lot harder to write and draw at the same time than some people are thinking. If anything splitting those responsibilities should speed things up.

SUI from ToG has taken a few hiatus, but it's typically because of health reasons. Also his breaks are typically short and very far between. The guy probably updates several hundred/thousand pages worth of material between breaks.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Spamalot in the Playground

I know that struggle personally. I used to get artwork done at a pretty decent pace years back, but these days I'm barely getting one drawing every 2-3 weeks. I assume most of these big volume artists don't have a lot of family they have to care and feed, or lengthy work shifts at a job unrelated to art. In theory.

Cause then I'll find out one does and I'm like "Welp. Not sure if they robot or I'm failing time."
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #220

BlackDragon

For sheer volume of output, I don't think anything can compete with whatever Hussey is. Homestuck was kinda ... excessive :-).

(AI project? Robot? Some sort of human-idea-maker with automated-inking system? Flood fills to just draw the backgrounds and stamp sprites on?)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Howard Tayler needs to be mentioned in any list of comic producers with longevity/consistency, of course. Shlock Mercenary has updated daily, on time, for over seventeen years at this point. The only time he had a delay in posting was when his server host site building caught on fire.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Howard Tayler needs to be mentioned in any list of comic producers with longevity/consistency, of course. Shlock Mercenary has updated daily, on time, for over seventeen years at this point. The only time he had a delay in posting was when his server host site building caught on fire.
    Yet Bill Holbrook has about three times Howard Tayler's output. He has two comics that are syndicated in newspapers, plus one webcomic that's been updating online daily for 22 years. He doesn't add additional rows to his comic like Howard Tayler does sometimes, though. Howard Tayler does other things in addition to writing Schlock Mercenary, too. I think it would be too much of a grind for him, otherwise.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I know that struggle personally. I used to get artwork done at a pretty decent pace years back, but these days I'm barely getting one drawing every 2-3 weeks. I assume most of these big volume artists don't have a lot of family they have to care and feed, or lengthy work shifts at a job unrelated to art. In theory.

Cause then I'll find out one does and I'm like "Welp. Not sure if they robot or I'm failing time."
    I think for most of them drawing is their actual full time job.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

This thread title becomes even more appropriate every time I see it.

15. - Top - End - #225

BlackDragon

Oh no, now this thread won't hit 45 days idle before the next comic posts :-)
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Remember when Rob was going to give us "backer story updates every Sunday" of the hiatus? Starting in early July? Same.

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I assume most of these big volume artists don't have ..
    lengthy work shifts at a job unrelated to art.
    Mark Stanley, author of Freefall (now with 3000+ strips)
    is working as an engineer at some powerplant.
    Last edited by hajo; 2017-08-14 at 02:00 PM.
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Knight View Post
    Remember when Rob was going to give us "backer story updates every Sunday" of the hiatus? Starting in early July? Same.
    He said he woul try. Can you prove he didn't?
    He totally didn't.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

19. - Top - End - #229
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    Mark Stanley, author of Freefall (now with 3000+ strips)
    is working as an engineer at some powerplant.
    He works (or worked, that post is from 2011) for Detroit Edison? I lived in near Detroit almost all my life. I had no idea we produced one of the best webcomic-ers. I always figured he was an engineer of some sort, but never knew where to look for that information. I guess this explains some of the early jokes in the comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by danelsan View Post
    While you can't really compare the quality of the artwork with some of the top webcomics out there, the sheer creative stamina of Zach Weinersmith is just ridiculous. Due to occasional bonus comics, his Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal updates more than daily! While also making artwork for his occasional books, and a guest comic here and there. AND organizing multiple Festivals of Bad Ad Hoc Hypothesis. While being a father to, if I'm not mistaken, two small children. The dude is a neverending unstoppable engine of illustrated nerdy jokes.
    Don't forget, he used to have a sketch comedy troupe on youtube, too.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The news post says Rob doesn't "expect to return to our normal update schedule until Friday, September 1st."
    Or not. Admittedly, "author's headspace problem" sounds like a very apt description of the current state of the plot.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

I completely forgot it was supposed to come back today. Which is good, because expectations mean disappointment.
    Also seems serious, he didn't even try to blame a perfect excuse like a massive city levelling hurricane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie Welf View Post
    I completely forgot it was supposed to come back today. Which is good, because expectations mean disappointment.
    Also seems serious, he didn't even try to blame a perfect excuse like a massive city levelling hurricane.
    Considering he lives in Virginia, not Houston, I don't see why he'd go for that excuse. He did mention it messing with Xin, which...is fair. Glad she's safe.
    Last edited by Razade; 2017-09-01 at 05:07 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Banned

Huh...that was actually really respectful and mature. It's way easier to respect "I need more time to deliver the story I want" than just blaming other people for your delays.

If it means the story gets back on track then I'm glad he's taking the extra time. It's been a mess lately.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Huh...that was actually really respectful and mature. It's way easier to respect "I need more time to deliver the story I want" than just blaming other people for your delays.
    At least it's a honest approach on the old, known habit.
    The inability to keep a decent pace is dishartening.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So...
    Optimistic estimate we get new Erfworld around January/February next year?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

27. - Top - End - #237
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    So...
    I'm expecting a Halloween 2018 update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    So...
    What is this... Erfworld... thing?

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    At least it's a honest approach on the old, known habit.
    The inability to keep a decent pace is dishartening.
    All things considered, I've never felt like commenting on any webcomic's ability to keep a consistent pace. TV series getting canceled, comics on extended hiatus, books going quiet for years, authors dying mid-series, sure. I just can't find it in my heart to be bothered by belated webcomics. Especially not here. I'll read it when it gets here. I'll talk about it when it's interesting. Otherwise, I'm sure I can find something else to do.

30. - Top - End - #240

BlackDragon

And then, there's things like Futurama or Family Guy that come back after hiatus.