New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Banned

Default Re: Erfworld Thread X: A Series of Unfortunate Cliffhangers

Did they miss an update this Tuesday or am I going crazy?

2. - Top - End - #332
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    You are not amiss. They missed.

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I'm guessing this will lead to his old gaming buddies entering Erf. Maybe the spell doesn't go as Roger intends due to some interference or a last-minute realization on Parson's part of what's happening, or just Fate screws with something causing interference.

Or maybe Parson realizes the con before it occurs, but he uses what he learned about jerryrigging the scroll (assuming any of that was true) to allow him, with allied help, to summon more Earth-ian warlords to assist. But that's probably be too pro-Gobwin Knob's side to actually happen in the narrative.
    Or maybe something interrupts the scene and takes their attention, like a fight finally breaks out in the Magic Kingdom.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

In the newspost, did they say they plan on 2 skips a month, usually unannounced?
    Anyone keep track if this is skip #2 or a third one?

Note: a while ago I asked if it was against forum rules to ask about the posting schedule of comics other than Order of the Stick. I was told we could ask about it, but keep it civil.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    You are not amiss. They missed.
    But...they just came back from a three month hiatus...I just don't understand how they can already be behind again.

In the newspost, did they say they plan on 2 skips a month, usually unannounced?
    Anyone keep track if this is skip #2 or a third one?

Note: a while ago I asked if it was against forum rules to ask about the posting schedule of comics other than Order of the Stick. I was told we could ask about it, but keep it civil.
    I would imagine it must be the first skip since it was the first update of November. I can't say I'm impressed with that type of system at all. "We'll update on these days! Except when we don't!" At that point you may as well come out and say there's no schedule and you'll get it out when you can like the Giant does.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-11-09 at 09:54 AM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

But...they just came back from a three month hiatus...I just don't understand how they can already be behind again.

I would imagine it must be the first skip since it was the first update of November. I can't say I'm impressed with that type of system at all. "We'll update on these days! Except when we don't!" At that point you may as well come out and say there's no schedule and you'll get it out when you can like the Giant does.
    Well, they have planned to have 2 skips a month. In the newspost explaining it, it was mostly to let a stress release for the team and so the buffer isn't depleted. So it's not necessarily that they are behind, but some reason this was one of their days to pass on posting new material. I personally don't care for it or the tone in how it was announced, but it is a legitimate posting method and still a schedule. Just we'll have two times it isn't fulfilled.

Mainly I was wondering if this was the third in the month--meaning they did miss they schedule--but I think you are right since the first skip was in October (Oct. 6, per newspost). I think between various things having me busy, I haven't really internalized that it's now November and not still October.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

I think if they fail to update in the future on a post day, I'll update the thread with a SKIP just so we are on the same page, and link to that post they put out about the unannounced skips. I was tempted to this time, and now I'm regretting not doing it. If someone beats me to it, just follow the above format. Should save us some time questioning and answering where the comic is.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

7. - Top - End - #337

I haven't really internalized that it's now November and not still October.
    Same. Time slips faster than I realize it. Darn turnamancer weirdness.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #338
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I think if they fail to update in the future on a post day, I'll update the thread with a SKIP just so we are on the same page, and link to that post they put out about the unannounced skips. I was tempted to this time, and now I'm regretting not doing it. If someone beats me to it, just follow the above format. Should save us some time questioning and answering where the comic is.
    Right. So ultimately this is all your fault.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ettin in the Playground

Right. So ultimately this is all your fault.
    Exactly. Some Wombats like to watch the Erf burn.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

10. - Top - End - #340
    Troll in the Playground

Exactly. Some Wombats like to watch the Erf burn.
    That'd be annoying. You'll have to set fire to each hex individually.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

11. - Top - End - #341

Speaking of hexes on fire...

Spoiler: New update 11/10
    Show
    Looks like Roger's ploy worked. Though it would be hilarious if the Bracer knows something about a caster link Roger doesn't that would make the attempt detrimental to him and not Parson.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: spoilers?
    Show
    I hope this will be the end of Roger. My guess is the Thinkalike Isaac remnant will fix the portal with the wrench before Roger get the chance to execute his plot. He'll enter Transilvitto just as they're about to Link and expose Roger and his two cohorts.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It's 10:23 PST, and no update. I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm calling it a SKIP day.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasLawyer View Post
    It's 10:23 PST, and no update. I know I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm calling it a SKIP day.
    Agreed. SKIP again... I'm surprised they didn't save the second skip for thanksgiving week next week.

Date # Skipped
    10/6/17 1
    10/20/17 2
    11/7/17 1
    11/14/17 2
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2017-11-15 at 07:16 AM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

I'm surprised they didn't save the second skip for thanksgiving week next week.
    Think there will be another skip?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Think there will be another skip?
    Maybe they have filler in place for it, but maybe they will skip. If they do, it will be after only one month of implementing a skip system that they broke it, so I'm hopeful that won't be the case. Then again, this is ErfWorld we are talking about. Either way, I watch and wait.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Agreed. SKIP again... I'm surprised they didn't save the second skip for thanksgiving week next week.
    To be fair to Rob, he did say, he will have TWO UNNANOUNCED SKIPS. There could be even eight skips, but they will be announced.

Also Rob breaking his promises wouldn't be a first.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Banned

I'm honestly surprised people aren't cancelling their pledges for "on time updates". How can you justify paying for something "on time" if arbitrary skips are built into the system?

Then again, I never did understand the internet's willingness to throw their money away for no good reason.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    To be fair to Rob, he did say, he will have TWO UNNANOUNCED SKIPS. There could be even eight skips, but they will be announced.

Also Rob breaking his promises wouldn't be a first.
    Rob said in the original announcement - "As I mentioned in prior news posts, we're going to need to slacken the pace of updates from about 100 a year to about 80. There were a number of different ways I thought about doing that, but I settled on this approach: Update schedule will still be Tuesdays and Fridays, but expect us to miss about two updates a month, without announcements."

He said expect 2 skips, and then said they will be unannounced. Not lets do 2 skips unannounced, and then other skips will happen that ARE announced. So Rob's dialogue doesn't suggest what you're saying, only his history with posting the comic, which I kinda got at the post after the one you quoted.

I'm honestly surprised people aren't cancelling their pledges for "on time updates". How can you justify paying for something "on time" if arbitrary skips are built into the system?

Then again, I never did understand the internet's willingness to throw their money away for no good reason.
    Yeah, indeed. Although, he doesn't get paid if he doesn't post so I think he's only shooting himself in the foot.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Update schedule will still be Tuesdays and Fridays, but expect us to miss about two updates a month, without announcements."

He said expect 2 skips, and then said they will be unannounced. Not lets do 2 skips unannounced, and then other skips will happen that ARE announced.
    I was wrong.

However if he said about two updates that can mean any number that's close to two, like three or four, etc.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

I was wrong.

However if he said about two updates that can mean any number that's close to two, like three or four, etc.
    That's absolutely true. However, given the 80 rather than 100 updates a year goal, I'm holding him to the 2 skip rule. About could also mean less than 2, after all. We shall see how disappointed I am for it, haha, but I figure its what we have to go off of, so might as well.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2017-11-15 at 01:42 PM.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

22. - Top - End - #352

"Five is right out."

I'm willing to accept three as being "about two", but not four. That's no longer about, that's double.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #353
    Barbarian in the Playground

Before, Rob used a monthly donation system, that was not tied to how often he updated. He frequently went months without updating. People seem to have forgotten just how bad updates were until last two years or so. Updating was terrible, and I'm just thankful that it's semi regular now. Even if it's an unannounced skip, at least you don't have to wait around on sunday and such, because you know there are only two days in the week where there can be an update. I don't really care because the money lost from not updating is more effective in making sure Rob will update than a hundred people complaining about it ever could.

That said, some people have actually said they had canceled their subscription. There is a surprisingly long thread of people complaining about the updating, and they aren't being told to shut up like they would be on most other webcomic forums (*cough* OOTS *cough*). Also, although it's not a big change, the number of donors HAS gone down a bit during the last week or two. No idea if there is a direct correlation though.

Currently 1596 people pledging 1,924.99$.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post

Before, Rob used a monthly donation system, that was not tied to how often he updated. He frequently went months without updating. People seem to have forgotten just how bad updates were until last two years or so. Updating was terrible, and I'm just thankful that it's semi regular now. Even if it's an unannounced skip, at least you don't have to wait around on sunday and such, because you know there are only two days in the week where there can be an update. I don't really care because the money lost from not updating is more effective in making sure Rob will update than a hundred people complaining about it ever could.

That said, some people have actually said they had canceled their subscription. There is a surprisingly long thread of people complaining about the updating, and they aren't being told to shut up like they would be on most other webcomic forums (*cough* OOTS *cough*). Also, although it's not a big change, the number of donors HAS gone down a bit during the last week or two. No idea if there is a direct correlation though.

Didn't they used to stop people from doing that on the Erf Forums? I vaguely remember someone posting about that here. Either way, during the first book, I wasn't actively reading the comic, so I could binge through the series. Second book I started reading when he was updating, and yes it was painfully slow. I think that's why I'm usually pretty generous with my patience because I know its been worse. Honestly, I was always more about the quality than the quantity. But quality is a different conversation.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

25. - Top - End - #355
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post

I mean, we just got back from a three month long break that was not announced ahead of time and went far longer than originally planned. And they've already missed basically half the updates since then. Is it really better?

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Didn't they used to stop people from doing that on the Erf Forums?
    I don't believe so, the one that was heavily discouraged was the "Where's the update?" threads, in the last few hours or whatever of a scheduled day that kept popping up. because it was unproductive. But actually discussing the schedule itself wasn't.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yea, most websites don't ban it, OOTS is unusually strict in that regard, but I know full well how fans can rally behind the author if you say anything negative about him, and I don't think the current rate is that bad, so I was surprised by how many posters in the thread were actively complaining.

I mean, we just got back from a three month long break that was not announced ahead of time and went far longer than originally planned. And they've already missed basically half the updates since then. Is it really better?

I know that there were a lot of really long delays. Artist changes were always bad. I think just 3 months to handle the transition to a new artist is a lot better than expected, even if it went beyond the original time frame. Xin had family problems and there was a massive stop during that point. I think Book 0 was done during that time to help fill the gap. I remember that the update timing was completely random, which made things really annoying, especially since the official schedule remained as being twice a week.

You know, I'm curious as to what the average was. I'm going to work out how long the first book took.

Erfworld started December 8th, 2006
    Page 12 by the first month. (3 a week)
    Page 52 by the first 6 months. (2 a week)
    Page 86 by Dec 8, 2007. The 1 year anniversary. 34 new pages (1.3 a week)
    Page 131 by Dec 8, 2008. The 2 year anniversary. 45 new pages (0.87 a week).
    Page 162 by May 23, 2009. About 5 and a half months (24ish weeks). Story is done. 31 new pages (1.3 a week)

Not too bad, actually. Although year two was quite slow, compared to year one. This was easy enough to do, not sure about the newer books though. Is there a listing somewhere of how long the books took? I used the old Erf forums on OOTS to figure out page speed.
    Last edited by tomaO2; 2017-11-16 at 01:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

New Update

Spoiler
    Show
    Tower up, tunnel down. I wonder what the pylons that are unpowered imply in the last panel. Portals that don't exist from dead sides? If those pylons are even for the portals.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

29. - Top - End - #359
    Troll in the Playground

New Update

Spoiler
    Show
    Tower up, tunnel down. I wonder what the pylons that are unpowered imply in the last panel. Portals that don't exist from dead sides? If those pylons are even for the portals.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Obvious guess is that unpowered pylons are for capital sites that are not currently capitals. As we saw with I'm Coming For You Stanley, portals are in set locations. Kinda wonder if the ordering is a mirror of their geographical positions in the world or if it's just randomly scattered.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2017-11-17 at 07:03 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Hypothetically
    Show
    The pieces are now all in place for Buck to stop Wanda from going to SR, or the next leg of her plan, and he leaves behind the tunnel she'll use to pop up at the ICFYS portal in a way that Marie could meet Wanda without being shot down by all the free casters. Between Jillian's remaining arsenal and Ivan, they could bring down the portal seal. Phil's prophecy is true. It's just out of order.