Quote Originally Posted by cervidal View Post
    Is it?
    Yup .

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread X: A Series of Unfortunate Cliffhangers

Is it?

If the rainy-day pledges were advertised as a temporary thing, to get through the crisis, I would agree with you, bad form on me.

If it were the first time he held his hand out during a tragedy, I would agree with you, bad form on me.
    It's cancer, though, that's not a temporary crisis but a threat that will follow them through the rest of their lives. And Rob has been upfront about how this will affect his work. Personally, I'm not giving him any money for the same reasons Razade stated, but in a situation like this, I'm willing to give him more leeway than I would otherwise.

The one thing that bothers me slightly is that the rain-or-shine pledges get lumped in with the other pledges. I feel that they should be tallied separately, especially since the website still states that the whole amount is for on-time updates. But that's a minor concern and most people probably don't even care either way.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Troll in the Playground

This is a free comic on the internet i really dont understand why anyone would be too upset with a scheduale, its not like youre forced to pay, or even read.

And hes human, not some sort of page factory built for your amusement.
    Despite everything, its still me.

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Bugbear in the Playground

Is it?
    Yes it is.
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Ogre in the Playground

The tart three-word replies filling the thread recently don't belong here. Make a poll somewhere and post a link to it instead if you simply must vent.

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    The tart three-word replies filling the thread recently don't belong here. Make a poll somewhere and post a link to it instead if you simply must vent.
    Sometimes someone writes a comment to which the most appropriate response is short. If you want me to vent, by all means, ask me for a longer response to cervidal's...position. I, too, have opinions about what does or doesn't belong here.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Sometimes someone writes a comment to which the most appropriate response is short. If you want me to vent, by all means, ask me for a longer response to cervidal's...position. I, too, have opinions about what does or doesn't belong here.
    I don't disagree with the ?yaysayers?, I'm disgusted by the posters who want to stomp Rob while his wife is sick. Sadly I already forgot what cervidal posted exactly and wasn't sure if they agreed with his position or his opponents'.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

I do feel bad about weighing in only after hearing about his wife's cancer, but for some reason that announcement was what turned minor aggravations into a perceived pattern of deception. The thing about that pattern is that I can't pinpoint any lie... but it's entirely possible to deceive without lying.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Dwarf in the Playground

SKIPsign is upon us.

It's just a sad thing when an update is missed these days, because there's a very good reason for it. :(

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Ettin in the Playground

2 in a row. Oof. Hope everything is okay.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rob explains his current situation and plans for Erfworld:
    Show

http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/59...ght-is-strange

It's good the diagnosis for his wife is a little better. It's still grim as far as I can tell, though.

Looks like will be put on hold for a while. I don't agree with his his updates need to be that long but, oh well.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Guttering Flame, thank you for the link. Mr. Balder's site is a pain to navigate, particularly now that I've finally stopped reading. The news post does not change my judgement; however, having a history of deception does not make cancer any less a tragedy.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Guttering Flame, thank you for the link. Mr. Balder's site is a pain to navigate, particularly now that I've finally stopped reading. The news post does not change my judgement; however, having a history of deception does not make cancer any less a tragedy.
    The blog post was right at the top, so I think you'd have managed to find it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Chaotic Good Human Bard(14th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-10
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-6
    Wisdom-9
    Charisma-23

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

True! But with all the times people in this thread have said "just stop reading it," it was about time someone did. :P

I would have stopped reading Erfworld years ago if it hadn't been for this one forum thread. Erfworld's story is not so great, but it spawns fascinating discussions. ^_^

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

True! But with all the times people in this thread have said "just stop reading it," it was about time someone did. :P
    Yep. I get why you didn't find the page. Just saying that you would have been able to.
    I would have stopped reading Erfworld years ago if it hadn't been for this one forum thread. Erfworld's story is not so great, but it spawns fascinating discussions. ^_^
    Aww.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Chaotic Good Human Bard(14th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-10
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-6
    Wisdom-9
    Charisma-23

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Spamalot in the Playground

This forum is how I discovered Erf World near the beginning.

The discussions are indeed one of the best parts.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

17. - Top - End - #1277

... Man, I come here to find fans of this awesome webcomic I recently found, and I get people bitching about how the person behind it is an evil bastard that deserves no money at all.

Yeash.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Troll in the Playground

It probably doesn't help that there's been a lull in posts recently, - and thus... not a whole lot to talk about - but there are those of us here who enjoy the comic. We just don't tend to be quite as vocal.

Probably doesn't help that people who like the comic tend to, I'm sure, post on the Erfworld forum more than in this thread. (That place always moved too fast for me, though.)
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Storyteller_Arc View Post
    ... Man, I come here to find fans of this awesome webcomic I recently found, and I get people bitching about how the person behind it is an evil bastard that deserves no money at all.

Yeash.
    Yeah, this isn't the place to talk about the comic if you want to be positive and happy about it. Their forums most certainly are though.

20. - Top - End - #1280

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    It probably doesn't help that there's been a lull in posts recently, - and thus... not a whole lot to talk about - but there are those of us here who enjoy the comic. We just don't tend to be quite as vocal.

Probably doesn't help that people who like the comic tend to, I'm sure, post on the Erfworld forum more than in this thread. (That place always moved too fast for me, though.)
    I popped my head in there... bloody tons of theorising and discussion, that's for sure.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Some of us do try to discuss the comic, and not the finances of the author.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Ogre in the Playground

I think a lot of the bitterness comes from the fact that a lot of fans have perceived the quality of the comic as really going downhill. Like, I used to really like this webcomic. I think most people here agree that the first book was actually a really great piece of art, but idk, the magic was lost somewhere along the way. Rob wasn't able to recapture that same level of quality and a lot of people felt stiffed from how much time they sunk into it, and a lot more holding on just in case the stars align and it'll pay off in a big way.

Heck, the reason I started following it is because it was a comic with an appealing art style, and now, not only is that artist long gone, but I struggle to really label it as a comic, since most of its pages are just prose with pictures attached. And considering that most of the humor from book 1 was largely visual, it's lost a lot solely from that one change.

Personally, I couldn't take the excessive bloat and constant focal whiplash, so I finally gave up on it about a year ago. I could've kept going but I weighed up my options and I simply didn't see much reason to continue, and I don't really miss it. More power to you if you can still follow and especially if you still enjoy it, but, personally, I'm out.

23. - Top - End - #1283

... If your out. Why are you even here, commenting on a thread discussing a webcomic you don't follow anymore?

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Banned

... If your out. Why are you even here, commenting on a thread discussing a webcomic you don't follow anymore?
    Probably the same reason you feel justified joining a conversation and immediately telling other people not to participate in it. Everyone has a right to talk, and everyone has a right to express their feelings. Positive or negative. There's plenty of praise for the comic on this thread when it's actually good. It's just that it hasn't been that way for a while.

25. - Top - End - #1285

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Probably the same reason you feel justified joining a conversation and immediately telling other people not to participate in it.
    ... Since when did I do anything like that?

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Yeash.
    To use D&D concepts, both Neutral and Good people can be compulsive deceivers. I used to be a compulsive liar, and I'm pretty sure I'm not Evil.

The three rules of Webcomics Club:

Rule #1. If you don't like it, stop reading it.
    Rule #2. If you don't read it, you're not allowed to comment in the thread.
    Rule #3. GET OUT OF THE THREAD YOU JERK.
    Last edited by Anarchic Fox; 2018-06-12 at 05:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1287

... Sorry, but am I not allowed to genuinely and sincerely ask why someone is taking part in a discussion of a webcomic they have admitting to having stopping following by now?

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Yeah, this isn't the place to talk about the comic if you want to be positive and happy about it. Their forums most certainly are though.
    Their forum are more like remind of Psycho Pass subtitle - "Mandatory Happiness".

Why not? Maybe someone hopes to return to Erfworld once it gets good again (as if that will ever happen). Make Erfworld Great Again!

Almost all comics have similar discussions - Grrlpower has variable art, and horribad pacing, with villains and heroes that exist as vehicles for author appeal; Goblins - suffers from ocassional Grimdark and an art so detailed, that even its maker forgets it; Erfworld - has a ****ING CRYPTOCURRENCY which as I noted gives +3 to skeeziness, on top of character and pacing issues.

Unless of course said webcomic is perfect and flawless (this is tongue in cheek) like Unsounded (or Cucumber Quest), so no one ever comments on it. To be honest it's kinda hard to have a discussion about something that's unequivocally good, without it devolving into a who can suck up to comic author more.

PS: Only comic that goes around this rule is Kill Six Billion Demons, but I attribute that to sheer ridiculosness of the world (Dune meets Ninja Scroll in Hindu-Budism India). As the story says "Reach Heaven Through Violence".
    Last edited by -D-; 2018-06-12 at 05:48 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ogre in the Playground

... Sorry, but am I not allowed to genuinely and sincerely ask why someone is taking part in a discussion of a webcomic they have admitting to having stopping following by now?
    Because i've seen a lot of people saying that they're just following it in hopes that it may get good again, or that they might as well keep following it because they've already sunk so much time into it already.

Sometimes I stick my head in here to see if it's worth coming back and the answer is still usually no, but, since this was an interesting discussion, I figured I'd add my voice as a former fan to let people know that they really don't need to force themselves to keep reading if it doesn't give them the same enjoyment that it used to.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Irony is like acid against trolls, to continue the D&D analogies.