New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Banned

Default Re: Erfworld Thread X: A Series of Unfortunate Cliffhangers

Oof. I do not like the new inker's style at all. At least not in the tiny bit we've seen of it.

http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/47...arter-launched

Her work is the top image on the page.

Maybe it will be better once she adjusts to the style.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stsasser View Post
    Finally, splitting a book demonstrates that he is channeling George RR Martin in overpopulating his work with subplots and characters, without even Martin's limited skill set. (Yes, I think Game of Thrones and it's sequels are tiresome drivel.)
    Splitting book at pg 141, reminds me of a YouTube WH40k video where the Emperor of mankind says - we'll split the book into two parts, for double the profit.

If you look at pg 141, it's just an unnatural point to break. Next page requires you to know what happened in previous scene. Book one and two started with an intro, this book starts in middle of a previous scene.

Say you are new and you read pg 142. Here is the stream of consciousness of newbie. What's leadership? Did those guys beat up the glow girl? Why is she helping them? Our ruler? They are same side? Hell is Dollamancy. And, so on.

This move seems to be addressing the criticism of book 3 being too long, by essentially cutting it in two. That's how an engineer would solve a solution of the prose being too wordy. That or extracting more money.

Also full agreement on GRR Martin. I thought I was the only one.
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-07-04 at 03:25 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    Splitting book at pg 141, reminds me of a YouTube WH40k video where the Emperor of mankind says - we'll split the book into two parts, for double the profit.

If you look at pg 141, it's just an unnatural point to break. Next page requires you to know what happened in previous scene. Book one and two started with an intro, this book starts in middle of a previous scene.

Say you are new and you read pg 142. Here is the stream of consciousness of newbie. What's leadership? Did those guys beat up the glow girl? Why is she helping them? Our ruler? They are same side? Hell is Dollamancy. And, so on.

This move seems to be addressing the criticism of book 3 being too long, by essentially cutting it in two. That's how an engineer would solve a solution of the prose being too wordy. That or extracting more money.

That's going too far. How many people do you expect to start reading the comic from a middle book? A new book should still contain some intro/reminders for readers who last read the comic a while ago though. I suppose he can add a "What has gone before" wall-of-text at the beginning of this Book 4. Is there a better breaking point do you think?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    That's going too far. How many people do you expect to start reading the comic from a middle book? A new book should still contain some intro/reminders for readers who last read the comic a while ago though. I suppose he can add a "What has gone before" wall-of-text at the beginning of this Book 4. Is there a better breaking point do you think?
    My point was, it makes no sense to split the book into two. And all books so far had introductions.
    • Titans created the worlds, yada yada, last Chief Warlord dies.
    • After winning a decisive battle, Stanley keeps Parson in capital
    • Three casters and Parson begin their plan to stop Charlie
    • Parson is captured, Wanda is captured, Decrypted are captured, Charlie is crying, Bonnie is Decrypted, **** is hitting wall left and right.

If I had to visualize pg 142 as "start" of Book 4 it would be this: http://i.imgur.com/NLUkAEj.mp4

It just throws you straight away into plot. To me that reeks of last minute measures. If you want new readers of your books, you kinda have to think how each book will be received by new readers, no?

As for the point at which it should break? I really don't see one. If I was Rob, I'd continue with the plot tumor that is Book 3, admit fault, and try better in the future. Maybe by not having so many characters/arcs/plot/fates running at the same time?
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-07-04 at 06:04 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think that what you are complaining about is pretty typical among webcomics. To put things in context, some other successful webcomics don't do better job of splitting the story into books, although normally they don't retroactively split a book so late. One example is Girl Genius. Here is the last page of one book and here is the first page of the next book, which is also the current one. There is a scene change there, but no particular break in the action. Several books ago, the Foglios even retroactively adjusted a break by shifting a few pages from one book into the other and forcing a renumbering of pages in the latter book.

For several years, it seemed pretty obvious that the Foglios were attempting to split things so they could publish one book per year. The story arcs lasted much longer than that, so the breaks simply occurred throughout the arcs.

I know you like Unsounded. In that case, the break between the first and second books corresponded to the break between Chapters 3 and 4. The really wasn't much of a break in the story there, though. Chapter 3 ended with Sette and Duane avoiding a couple of Peaceguard. Chapter 4 began possibly the next morning with the Peaceguard locating were Sette and Duane had stayed the night and walking into a trap there. There wasn't anything at the beginning of Chapter 4 to set the context for that, although there was a flashback a couple of pages in. Still, a reader wouldn't want to start there. The next break was at the end of Chapter 6. Again, it corresponded to a change from one day to the next morning.

I'm wondering if Rob has thought much about how his page numbers will correspond to physical pages, though. I think his text updates would often require several physical pages to include all of the words.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-07-04 at 09:23 AM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I think that what you are complaining about is pretty typical among webcomics.
    And I'm not reading Girl Genius. I guess it might be ok if it's one of those 2 book 1 book, like GoT or Harry Potter (IIRC).

So the defense is, everyone is awful at it, so it's ok?
    My points was things in Erfworld story structures/overall experience have degraded.

I know you like Unsounded. In that case, the break between the first and second books corresponded to the break between Chapters 3 and 4. The really wasn't much of a break in the story there, though. Chapter 3 ended with Sette and Duane avoiding a couple of Peaceguard. Chapter 4 began possibly the next morning with the Peaceguard locating were Sette and Duane had stayed the night and walking into a trap there. There wasn't anything at the beginning of Chapter 4 to set the context for that, although there was a flashback a couple of pages in. Still, a reader wouldn't want to start there. The next break was at the end of Chapter 6. Again, it corresponded to a change from one day to the next morning.
    It's still a more natural break than between pg 141/142. Unsounded chapter starts more slowly, while pg 142 is essentially hit the ground running after jumping out of a car.

Also between chapter 3 and chapter 4, Duane and Sette were poisoned and scammed. It's a much longer period than between pg 141/142.
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-07-04 at 09:37 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    I'm sorry, but somehow, with Parson portrayed as a gamer, I want him to start thinking with portals :-)
    "Speedy thing kipi's in, speedy thing kipi's out."
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Oof. I do not like the new inker's style at all. At least not in the tiny bit we've seen of it.

http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/47...arter-launched

Her work is the top image on the page.

Maybe it will be better once she adjusts to the style.
    It's not that bad. I mean, yeah, it's not as good as the current one (which is hardly a surprise given that she was second place!), but she's way better than the one before that, who I think we can all agree was so bad near the end that it was actively interfering with the comic.

It's interesting to look back at that comparison and get a sense of how different artists could change how we see Erfworld. Lauri's use of shading and added lines to make Wanda and Jack more expressive stands out in particular. It also shows something else they mentioned in that post about the advantage of Lauri being a longtime fan - he emphasized the openness of the Portal Park as a clearing and the fact that the forest stops there, presumably since he knew more about the canonical layout of the MK. (OTOH now that I look at it, he gave GK way too many soldiers in that column. They never had THAT many in the MK.)
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2017-07-04 at 10:31 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Well, you have to be realistic. And no, I don't think it's awful.

It's still a more natural break than between pg 141/142. Unsounded chapter starts more slowly, while pg 142 is essentially hit the ground running after jumping out of a car.
    I don't know where you get that. In Erfworld characters are trying to figure out how to deal with the aftermath of something.

Also between chapter 3 and chapter 4, Duane and Sette were poisoned and scammed. It's a much longer period than between pg 141/142.
    What are you talking about? Sette and Duane didn't even interact with anyone else! There was some sort of a time break there, but it just seemed to be overnight. Granted, there wasn't any time between 141 and 142.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

What are you talking about? Sette and Duane didn't even interact with anyone else! There was some sort of a time break there, but it just seemed to be overnight. Granted, there wasn't any time between 141 and 142.
    Book 1 bonus material (Sette, Duane and the priestess of Tirna short story)l? You don't have it?!

In Erfworld characters are trying to figure out how to deal with the aftermath of something.
    Yeah. But usually after some time passes. Not like right this minute. Even Book 3 happens some time after Book 2 (enough to make a link). Book 4 happens, right the **** now.
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-07-04 at 11:13 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Book 1 bonus material (Sette, Duane and the priestess of Tirna short story)l? You don't have it?!
    I do, but I don't recall reading it and I forgot that it even existed. I don't care for Ashley's prose. Also, normally I look at the PDF, which doesn't include it.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Yep, feels right.
    Death to GamesWorkshop! Also money!

And I'm not reading Girl Genius. I guess it might be ok if it's one of those 2 book 1 book, like GoT or Harry Potter (IIRC).

My points was things in Erfworld story structures/overall experience have degraded.
    I agree with that. Page 141 could work as end for a book. I don't like it if books end on a cliffhanger, since it doesn't resolve something. But page 142 doesn't work as first page. Maybe a few extra pages are added in the book version to make it feel more natural or at least less artificial.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

13. - Top - End - #163
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    "Speedy thing kipi's in, speedy thing kipi's out."
    And now I know what voice the mind of Charlie's tower will take. "I am CharDOS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    And now I know what voice the mind of Charlie's tower will take. "I am CharDOS!"
    Alternatively...

"All right, I've been thinking. When Fate gives you lemons? Don't make lemonade. Make Fate take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see the Titans! Make Fate rue the day it thought it could give Charlie lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the tower who's going to smash your city down! With the lemons! I'm going to get my Archons to invent a Lemon Golem that'll smash your city down!"
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

One thing Rob could do is just publish the rule-book. It's not like he is going to lose any Tools, since every D&D comic that I have seen, readers will fight like rabid animals over RAW vs. House Rule vs. Rule of Funny. Of course, that would make all the text updates demonstrating the inner turmoil of a Dirtmancer that had his crapgolem commit suicide by using an MK toilet redundant.
    The Giant
    There are no mistakes, because there are no rules. NONE. No, not even that one.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

One thing Rob could do is just publish the rule-book. It's not like he is going to lose any Tools, since every D&D comic that I have seen, readers will fight like rabid animals over RAW vs. House Rule vs. Rule of Funny. Of course, that would make all the text updates demonstrating the inner turmoil of a Dirtmancer that had his crapgolem commit suicide by using an MK toilet redundant.
    What makes you think there is a rulebook? I suspect rules are being added as convenience dictates.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

One thing Rob could do is just publish the rule-book.
    I have a feeling it'd suffer from the Brockian Ultra Cricket problem. Collapsing into a black hole once they're all bound into a single volume.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

18. - Top - End - #168

BarbarianGuy

What makes you think there is a rulebook? I suspect rules are being added as convenience dictates.
    I think somewhere in the early days Rob said that the entire game system was mapped out.
    If it never existed or he's deviated from it, he should write one and publish it.
    The Giant

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: new comic
    Show
    What the hell just happened?
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

20. - Top - End - #170

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Looks like Charlie's Golem got sent to the Roach Motel.
    Last edited by stsasser; 2017-07-04 at 08:10 PM.
    The Giant

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Show
    I refer the honourable gentleman to the title of this thread.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    [Looks like Charlie's Golem got sent to the Roach Motel.
    I don't think we see what happened to it. Presumably the string connecting it to Charlie was cut, but as far as I can tell, we don't see it after the fifth panel. I think what's in the last panel is what's left of the tar baby, not Charlie's golem. I think Isaac used the wonky wrench to remove the tar from the tar baby.

Looking at it again, I changed my mind. The body shape makes it look like the tar baby, but rather than covering a doll with tar, the tar baby golem was apparently made just from pitch and was completely turned back into pitch by Claud. There wouldn't have been anything to remove the tar from nor anything other than the pitch to throw away.

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I refer the honourable gentleman to the title of this thread.
    There is no cliffhanger, so what does it have to do with the title of the thread?
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-07-04 at 09:58 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

There is no cliffhanger, so what does it have to do with the title of the thread?
    There isn't? we don't know what's happened, we don't know what's going to happen, and there's a nearly two month hiatus inbound. Seems like a cliffhanger to me.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I edited my earlier comment because I decided that Isaac probably threw away what's left of the action figure rather than what's left of the tar baby.

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    There isn't? we don't know what's happened, we don't know what's going to happen, and there's a nearly two month hiatus inbound. Seems like a cliffhanger to me.
    With a cliffhanger, you usually know what happened and more importantly you know what you're afraid will happen. As you pointed out, we don't know those things, so it's not a cliffhanger.

In this case, we see that Isaac is about to ride off in a cart with the wonky wrench. We don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. If we don't know that much, how can it be a cliffhanger?

I don't know why the thread got the title, anyway. There were a couple of things that could have counted as cliffhangers, but most of the time the scenes just switched without anything that could count as one. Rather than Erfworld being a series of cliffhangers, they are rather rare.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-07-04 at 10:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

For those not familiar with the reference in the final panel, it's from a game called The Binding of Isaac. Named after the biblical mythology of the same name with...a similar opening premise. Isaac in the game is offered up to a schizophrenic mother because he has been tainted by the wicked world. Thus making Isaac a sacrificial lamb.

I imagine that's what Rob was referencing. That Isaac (our Isaac) is going to sacrifice himself.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

What a ridiculous place to halt the story. So if it's not a Cliffhanger, Eschmenk, what is it? A mysteryhanger? A ridiculouhanger? Or maybe just an empty hanger?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

With a cliffhanger, you usually know what happened and more importantly you know what you're afraid will happen. As you pointed out, we don't know those things, so it's not a cliffhanger.

In this case, we see that Isaac is about to ride off in a cart with the wonky wrench. We don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing. If we don't know that much, how can it be a cliffhanger?
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.

This ending is pretty bleak. Isaac decided to **** off somewhere. He took the Wonky Wrench, the rest of casters are catatonic, trapped under a layer of bedrock they can't dig without the Wrench. And Isaac took Tondy's corpse.

Not to mention, the fact Isaac doesn't want to cheat, makes me worry for Parson. They consider what he does cheating. They consider summoning him here cheating...
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-07-05 at 06:01 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    What a ridiculous place to halt the story. So if it's not a Cliffhanger, Eschmenk, what is it? A mysteryhanger? A ridiculouhanger? Or maybe just an empty hanger?
    Puts the anger in cliffhanger?

Hmm, maybe Isaac thought of a better way to 'cheat' and leaves Wanda behind for her own protection. Telling her not to cheat is just his odd backwards way of saying stay loyal to Parson rather than her goal of uniting the Arkentools?
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

29. - Top - End - #179
    Halfling in the Playground

the rest of casters are catatonic, trapped under a layer of bedrock they can't dig without the Wrench..
    They aren't trapped - there's a portal right there.

I'm sure Charlie would welcome them with open arms...

(Or they could maybe switch sides to FAQ then go through.)

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    They aren't trapped - there's a portal right there.

I'm sure Charlie would welcome them with open arms...

(Or they could maybe switch sides to FAQ then go through.)
    Gun arms? You know, I think you are right Wanda is destined to serve Queen Jillian of Bat****.

I mean, I guess Charlie could leave Wanda alone because Fate says so, but after being a thorn in the side, I'm thinking he'll be willing to punish her in some way. Maybe just killing Claud/Ivan.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Hmm, maybe Isaac thought of a better way to 'cheat' and leaves Wanda behind for her own protection. Telling her not to cheat is just his odd backwards way of saying stay loyal to Parson rather than her goal of uniting the Arkentools?
    Right now, I suspect Isaac considers even himself a cheat. And in previous update it mentions suit is Parson's cheat.
    Last edited by -D-; 2017-07-05 at 08:29 AM.