Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: [PF] Ironfang Invasion - Players Wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Valin View Post
    Ok, gonna make a new WiP post so I'm not hunting quite so far back in the thread for my stuff.

Spoiler: Sigrid
    Show
    Sigrid Torradamdidn't intend to spend as long as she has in Phaendar. She didn't expect to spend long in human lands at all: she's got an impatient mentor in Kraggodan waiting for her to return, along with an expectant family. That was the problem really. Lord Hertzeg had trained under her great grandfather, Master Azrik Silverblade. The old smith had been High Priest of Torag when Kraggodan marched to war against the Whispering Tyrant, and had forged some of the greatest weapons of the Citadel's history as part of the Shining Crusade. Any young dwarf-marm looking to follow in his footsteps had a lot to live up to, and many fine ancient works to measure her own against. Sig came above ground just to try and relieve a little pressure on herself. The plan was simple enough: wander the countryside, work a few village forges, and develop her skills on her own. Humans don't expect you to match the skill of a legendary dwarfen craftsman.

She wandered Nirmathas for a few months, before arriving in Phaendar. The town was facing a bout of plague, and while her magic was far from mighty, Sigrid's training included the healing arts. She helped the locals as best she was able with tonics and herbs. Afterwards, she just... decided to take up residence here. Why wander the frontier when you've found a friendly town to bide in? She has a small forge, which she's informally consecrated as a shrine to the Father of Creation. It does some business with militiamen and travelling merchants, but her healing talents are more in demand, which both gratifies and quietly infuriates the young dwarf. She liked Phaendar, but feels her training isn't progressing as it should. Sigrid is hoping that Market Day this year will bring some adventurers: it's been far too long since she's been able to sell a single blade.

Spoiler: WiP!
    Show
    Bramble is easy to pick out of a line up. She's cheery, with messy brown hair and bears two enormous donkey ears: the result of a close encounter with one of the more kindly denizens of the Fangwood. Some might consider it a curse but Brambs took it in the way the satyr had intended: a reminder to take care in the forests, and of the potential kindness of strangers.

Spoiler: WiP3
    Show
    At this rate you'll make a whole community.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rofltrollcopter View Post
    I don't think one can say that Dex is strictly better though. Dex does get the stat as a bonus to AC, Reflex, and Initiative. But Dex loses out on Power Attack, two-handing, and all the Rider effects that Power Attack can add on (Cornugon Smash, etc.)
    OK about two-handed damage, but I don't know that Slashing Grace rules Power Attack out?

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Power Attack has 13 Str as a prereq. Technically you can use Power Attack with finesse etc, but if you have a Dex build that treats Str as a dumpstat its not an option.

4. - Top - End - #244

I don't see why it would be taken out, you're just thrusting harder with a weapon that is not supposed to thrust but can do it anyway.

Ps: Slashing Grace + Axe would be weird.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DemonRukasu View Post
    Ps: Slashing Grace + Axe would be weird.

Have you ever seen River fight the Reavers in Serenity? I beg to differ

6. - Top - End - #246

Have you ever seen River fight the Reavers in Serenity? I beg to differ
    I searched it on youtube and i only saw an heavy aglomeration of pixels in the dark. :v

But still, an axe can't thrust, it can cleave (that is a combination of bludgeoning and slashing), but not thrust, unless it's a halberd head and that is only 1/3 axe head.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Firbolg in the Playground

And now I'm almost wondering if there would be a way to interpret the Ironfang Legion in a somewhat sympathetic light. Do hobgoblins and other Goblinoids have a place that they can call home in Golarion? I'm wondering if the big bad of the Ironfang Legion is going to turn out to be like Redcloak.
    You are at least somewhat correct in your estimation of General Azaersi having shades of Redcloak. Goblinoids - and hobgoblins in particular - don't have a nation anywhere on Golarion to call their own (although some of the oni of Tian Xia and the Yokai of Minkai take hobgoblin form, I don't think that counts). Most goblinoid societies form crude tribes: the Ironfang Legion is unique insofar as Azaersi is promoting a pan-goblinoid narrative in order to conquer and colonize her own 'goblin nation' in Avistan... just like Gobbotopia.

However, there are some major differences. First of all, as far as I know (and I've read the first five volumes of the AP), there doesn't seem to be any divine intervention in this conflict. The gods and cosmos of Golarion being very different removes a lot of the underlying reasons why goblinoids and other monstrous races have such a raw deal in the OOTS-verse. Secondly, there don't seem to be any extremist factions like the Sapphire Guard who go and wipe out goblin settlements just because they're 'Evil'. There's no semblance of the humans getting a comeuppance. Moreover, goblins on Golarion are pretty awful - I'd argue worse than in usual D&D lore - losing them most of the sympathy points one might have for them in say, OOTS.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; Today at 01:26 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Skull and Shackles (DM)
    - Rise of the Runelords (Cade Rhineheart)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

The Unchained Rogue's Finesse Training class feature is actually a fun corner case in the usual trade-offs between Strength and Dexterity based melee builds. Because Finesse Training doesn't have any stipulation that the weapon be wielded with one hand (unlike Fencing Grace, Dervish Dance, etc.), an Unchained Rogue can wield one of the finessable two-handed weapons (elven curve blade or elven branched spear) and gain 1.5x Dexterity to damage (and yes, this has been confirmed in an official FAQ). If they happen to have at least 13 Strength, they can also add two-handed Power Attack on top of that.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Cultist, direct question. Are you ok with the idea of me deliberately playing someone who is not well suited to this Adventure Path? At least, as of Level 1

The concept I've been tinkering with is a (still nameless) weaver with distant plans of becoming an adventurer someday. She's got some magic in her blood (sorceress with the Arcane bloodline) and thus has a few tricks, but is ultimately pretty civilian, especially by Nirmathas standards. If she's to become a warrior, it'll happen during play.

I really like the idea of this: of a character who doesn't entirely gel with the set up and has to adapt over time and levels. But at the end of the day, what I'd be doing with it is submitting a character that's a deliberate bad fit for the AP. She'll be able to contribute with item crafting and skills, but there's likelyt o be stretches when she's firmly out of her element. I'm ok with it, I feel between magic and skills I'll have fun and it'll just be more of a challenge but... well, are you ok with this, 3SC?

10. - Top - End - #250
    Firbolg in the Playground

Cultist, direct question. Are you ok with the idea of me deliberately playing someone who is not well suited to this Adventure Path? At least, as of Level 1

The concept I've been tinkering with is a (still nameless) weaver with distant plans of becoming an adventurer someday. She's got some magic in her blood (sorceress with the Arcane bloodline) and thus has a few tricks, but is ultimately pretty civilian, especially by Nirmathas standards. If she's to become a warrior, it'll happen during play.

I really like the idea of this: of a character who doesn't entirely gel with the set up and has to adapt over time and levels. But at the end of the day, what I'd be doing with it is submitting a character that's a deliberate bad fit for the AP. She'll be able to contribute with item crafting and skills, but there's likelyt o be stretches when she's firmly out of her element. I'm ok with it, I feel between magic and skills I'll have fun and it'll just be more of a challenge but... well, are you ok with this, 3SC?
    I'm fine with it - somebody who is a relative fish out of water could make for a fun dynamic with a more wilderness oriented group. In particular, if you make your character somebody who just grew up quietly in Phaendar before the events of the game, that could have some really serious RP potential as your character grows and evolves into a proper hero.

Please keep in mind, however, that I won't be allowing more than one submission for this game. You will need to choose between your various entries. I apologize if I didn't make that clear earlier on.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Skull and Shackles (DM)
    - Rise of the Runelords (Cade Rhineheart)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

11. - Top - End - #251

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    I'm fine with it - somebody who is a relative fish out of water could make for a fun dynamic with a more wilderness oriented group. In particular, if you make your character somebody who just grew up quietly in Phaendar before the events of the game, that could have some really serious RP potential as your character grows and evolves into a proper hero.
    What are the chances of my friendly TN average Electricity/Conjuration Sorcerer turns into a Storm Lich? Because that'd be badass, even if i'd have to go NE.

From Town NPC tier to Final Boss tier it's a really good evolution. Turning into an evil undead gives it a -10 chance of happening though.
    Last edited by DemonRukasu; Today at 02:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

Please keep in mind, however, that I won't be allowing more than one submission for this game. You will need to choose between your various entries. I apologize if I didn't make that clear earlier on.
    Aaaaarrrgh! Choices!? *hides*

More than fair, erm... do you have any particular choice for abbreviated name, GM? Anyway, it's fair cop to ask for that. I'll get back to work, and get you a final post with a (hopefully) ready to go chosen character ASAP.

Now I just need a decent name for her...

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Power Attack has 13 Str as a prereq. Technically you can use Power Attack with finesse etc, but if you have a Dex build that treats Str as a dumpstat its not an option.
    Power attack may be off the table unless you muster up those 3 ability points, but there's always Piranha Strike which is essentially the same thing, only for dex builds.

14. - Top - End - #254

Now I just need a decent name for her...
    Have you tried 'Nigerian Prince'? It has a bonus drawback that makes you want to give your gp to people.

Or since it's an arcane bloodline why don't you try "Runeface McMagicnton"

Pretty good genderfluid names tbh.

To anyone wondering, yes, my jokes are this bad.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I don't think one can say that Dex is strictly better though. Dex does get the stat as a bonus to AC, Reflex, and Initiative. But Dex loses out on Power Attack, two-handing, and all the Rider effects that Power Attack can add on (Cornugon Smash, etc.)
    I never said it was better, let alone strictly better. I said it offers big advantages.