New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default One-dip Fast Healing

As the title says: is there a one-level dip or feat that can get me actual (not "take a level of cleric and cast lesser vigor") fast healing?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    English is actually a very precise language in a lot of ways, and American English in particular has a habit of following other languages down back alleys, clubbing them over the head, and rifling through their lexicons that I think is very healthy for its evolution.
    My extended signature!

My PbP info

78% of DMs started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% who didn't, copy/paste this into your sig.
    Mine started in the battle arena of the capital city

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: One-dip Fast Healing

Just get the troll blooded feat?
    You could in theory get a level 1 only feat with a loremaster dip.
    Last edited by noob; 2017-06-16 at 09:37 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Only the Fast Healing epic feat comes to mind

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A creature with the Divine Minion template can heal any amount of HP as a free action, assuming it heals HP from resting and its DM doesn't arbitrarily restrict the number of free actions they can take in a round.

It's +1 LA, by the way.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2017-06-16 at 10:39 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

And thanks to one particular manual you can take template as classes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Also, a one-level dip in Dragon Shaman grants you fast healing 1 that extends to allies as well, but only functions on creatures with less than half their full hit points.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

If Dreamscarred Press is available in your game:

Dip any initiating class at 9th that has access to Elemental Flux, and take Elemental Flux stance. Or grab Martial Training I-III to get Elemental Flux Stance.

This grants you fast healing 1, and a side order of maneuvers as a bonus.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Nature's Warrior PrC (Complete Warrior): if you take Nature’s Armament (Su): Wild Growth - you will get fast healing 1 at the very 1st level

If templates are OK, then Feral Creature (Savage Species) give fast healing 2, and Evolved Undead (Libris Mortis) - 3; all for LA: +1

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Also, a one-level dip in Dragon Shaman grants you fast healing 1 that extends to allies as well, but only functions on creatures with less than half their full hit points.
    You can also take a draconic aura as a feat, I believe.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Nature's Warrior can get fast healing 1 with a one level dip. Obviously, a druid based class, as the name implies.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

There's also healing devotion: It's both more limited and more flexible than Draconic Aura: Vigor.
    Limitations
    -Requires an action to activate unless you're at 0 hp or below.
    -Only lasts for 1 minute/activation
    -limited activations per day

Increased usability because
    -It doesn't shut off after crossing the 1/2 HP line.
    -It automatically scales with level without other resources (ie, dragonblooded)
    -Its benefit can be passed to another creature, allowing the feat to be used to heal other party members using their own actions. (the benefit of the feat isn't Fast healing. The benefit is the ability to burn an immediate action to grant yourself fast healing.) Judicious use of it will let you stockpile several instances of the feat with other party members, and becomes a nice way to take care of some out of combat healing/granting the party some last ditch life saving since it auto activates if the holder drops to 0 or lower HP.

Combined with 5 levels of binder + Tenebrous and you can load up an army with fast healing.

In a related and worse case, there's also Truenamer. there's a level 1 utterance that both grants fast healing and doubles as a weapon when reversed. (Note: this is not a good option at all, but I'm just mentioning it for the sake of completeness)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Nature's Warrior can get fast healing 1 with a one level dip. Obviously, a druid based class, as the name implies.
    It's also enterable with Abolisher, Wild Shape Ranger, and arguably Divine Minion (though in the latter case, fast healing is kind of redundant).

Extended signature!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

It's also enterable with Abolisher, Wild Shape Ranger, and arguably Divine Minion
    Also, Lion of Talisid (Book of Exalted Deeds), Moonspeaker (Races of Eberron), Shapeshifter (Oriental Adventures), and Wild Monk (Dragon #324)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Nature's Warrior PrC (Complete Warrior): if you take Nature’s Armament (Su): Wild Growth - you will get fast healing 1 at the very 1st level
    This will only function when wildshaped, which for most druids can be the whole day, but may not depending on entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    You can also take a draconic aura as a feat, I believe.
    You can gain a draconic aura with a feat, but it is limited to a list not including Vigor.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    And thanks to one particular manual you can take template as classes.
    OOO...which manual is that? I didn't know that and might have to tell my DM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You beat me to this one, but there is a second limitation - it stops functioning if you fall unconsious and requires a standard action to restart.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    You beat me to this one, but there is a second limitation - it stops functioning if you fall unconsious and requires a standard action to restart.
    All fast healing stops working when you're unconscious.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    You can gain a draconic aura with a feat, but it is limited to a list not including Vigor.
    It's a matter of (sometimes rather intense) debate. My gut feeling of how I would rule at the table says that it wouldn't break anything to allow the Vigor aura for a feat (unless you're intentionally trying to go for a "gritty" game of HP attrition and counting arrows and crap like that, which I personally find to be the opposite of fun), and the rules are honestly ambiguous. That said, you are entirely correct that there is a plausible reading of the rules that would indicate that Vigor cannot be had for a feat.

Basically, if anyone reading this actually wants to use this in a game, it's worth having the discussion with your GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    All fast healing stops working when you're unconscious.
    Is there a rules citation for that? The description of Fast Healing on pg. 74 of the Rules Compendium says no such thing, and neither does the description on pg. 309 of the Monster Manual.

You may be thinking of 4e, where regeneration (4e regeneration = 3.5 fast healing, not 3.5 regeneration) only works when you have 1 or more HP.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Is there a rules citation for that? The description of Fast Healing on pg. 74 of the Rules Compendium says no such thing, and neither does the description on pg. 309 of the Monster Manual.

You may be thinking of 4e, where regeneration (4e regeneration = 3.5 fast healing, not 3.5 regeneration) only works when you have 1 or more HP.
    Fast healing is accelerated natural healing, which has this clause:
    Recovering without Help: A severely wounded character left alone usually dies. He has a small chance, however, of recovering on his own. Even if he seems as though he’s pulling through, he can still finally succumb to his wounds hours or days after originally taking damage.

A character who becomes stable on his own (by making the 10% roll while dying) and who has no one to tend to him still loses hit points, just at a slower rate. He has a 10% chance each hour of becoming conscious. Each time he misses his hourly roll to become conscious, he loses 1 hit point. He also does not recover hit points through natural healing.
    Only applies when self stabilized while dying (-1 to -9 HP, which fast healing automatically stabilizes you at since you are dying) but it shuts down natural healing, of which fast healing is a subset.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Not a 1 level dip, but rather 1 LA. The Feral template gives +6 natural armor, +10 landspeed, gives natural attacks, a boatload of special attacks, and scaling fast healing up to 5 at 12th HD.
    I don't always level dip, but when I do, I dip into commoner.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Matrota View Post
    Not a 1 level dip, but rather 1 LA. The Feral template gives +6 natural armor, +10 landspeed, gives natural attacks, a boatload of special attacks, and scaling fast healing up to 5 at 12th HD.
    Sadly, the Special Attacks are based on RHD (though it calls the monster hit die), not just HD, so you're not likely to get any of those. Fortunately, the Special Qualities (Fast Healing and Darkvision) scale with plain ol' HD.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    My gut feeling of how I would rule at the table says that it wouldn't break anything to allow the Vigor aura for a feat (unless you're intentionally trying to go for a "gritty" game of HP attrition and counting arrows and crap like that, which I personally find to be the opposite of fun),
    Though anyone trying to replace all healing with Draconic Aura (Vigor) will find themselves walking around at 1/2 hp, far more suceptible to crits/sneak attacks/maximized spells/whatever than a party counting healing resources in order to stay at full (at least until the resource based party stops paying attention to their resources and over-extends).

I'd say the better comparison in-favor is simply Touch of Healing. Getting the vigor aura as a feat is more convenient, acting on all party members simultaneously without actions and requiring no spellcasting, but it's also a maximum of 1/round while Touch of Healing does a bit more than 1/level/round-vigor aura cannot stand up to taking damage every round, but Touch of Healing does have a range where it can (and it has a caster level boost which matters in a good few places). Both feats are available at 3rd level.

So indeed, unless the DM wants a game so gritty that it doesn't just wear you down, but wears you down 1hp at a time, vigor aura in a feat is probably fine.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness