Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344
Results 1,291 to 1,309 of 1309
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShIVe: Damn It, Dan, Stop Teasing Us!

That could very well be going in the next comic, and he's just nipping the 700 emails he'll get about it in the bud now.

Edit: well, I guess not. Still, it could have been worked into a joke about the comic being in greyscale.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2018-11-20 at 12:21 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I feel like Dan could do with a sounding board for ideas. All he needed to avoid this confusion he saw coming was show two distinct effects. Perhaps a ray that hits the eyes and the result being colour blindness.
    He could also have changed the dialogue slightly. Instead of "I've gone colorblind", something like "I've also gone colorblind" would be a hunt that they're two different things. "I've turned into a gecko and I've also gone colorblind" wouldn't make sense if they weren't two different things. I mean, you wouldn't say "I've turned into a gecko and I've also turned into a reptile" for instance.
    There is also the fact that the sound effect for the transformation is "gecko'd"."Gecko'd and colorblinded" would have been too much text (not to mention spoiling the punchline), but putting only one of the effect there emphasizes the idea that there is only one.

But in the interest of fairness I should point out that one thing I'm really happy about is the lack of breasts on the humanoid gecko. I think the giant did a good job at making fun of non-mammalian mammaries (although unfortunately it was construed as a transphobic joke) and it's nice that Dan isn't going that way, considering his... proclivities.
    You like Switch games? Check out PlayCritically's stream (evenings PST), or the Switch Focus podcast. And if you miss the stream, check out the archived longplays!

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lissou View Post
    He could also have changed the dialogue slightly. Instead of "I've gone colorblind", something like "I've also gone colorblind" would be a hunt that they're two different things. "I've turned into a gecko and I've also gone colorblind" wouldn't make sense if they weren't two different things. I mean, you wouldn't say "I've turned into a gecko and I've also turned into a reptile" for instance.
    There is also the fact that the sound effect for the transformation is "gecko'd"."Gecko'd and colorblinded" would have been too much text (not to mention spoiling the punchline), but putting only one of the effect there emphasizes the idea that there is only one.
    I think that what happened is that Dan relied too heavily on the "just put extra info in the commentary" crutch and, as such, Dan didn't even think about any possibilities to head off the questions in the comic itself.

Basically, upon noticing that people would think that "colorblind" and "gecko" are the same thing, Dan decided to say otherwise in the commentary rather than thinking about what small changes in the text could be made to answer it instead.

This is one of the reasons why I don't like how necessary the commentary is to the comic.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    I think that what happened is that Dan relied too heavily on the "just put extra info in the commentary" crutch and, as such, Dan didn't even think about any possibilities to head off the questions in the comic itself.

Basically, upon noticing that people would think that "colorblind" and "gecko" are the same thing, Dan decided to say otherwise in the commentary rather than thinking about what small changes in the text could be made to answer it instead.

This is one of the reasons why I don't like how necessary the commentary is to the comic.
    Assuming the commentaries are done before the comic is finalized.

The "why didn't I reference Spider-Man?" line implies otherwise, and regardless most ways of establishing that the colorblindness is seperate would either be clunky or take up panel space, which would get people complaining about the storyline being too wordy.

(The "Also I've gone color blind" change that was suggested isn't clear enough--it'd still get people complaining that Geko's aren't color blind.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here.

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Since I currently find Dan's NP strips usually more entertaining than his main story:

"mlep" is a great sound effect.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Troll in the Playground

So, that's Luke. I wonder if his presence might mean something plot-related.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, it is.
    And another question- if Nanase is still barefoot after transforming back, what happened to her footwear? And is Sarah also still barefoot?
    Last edited by Southern Cross; 2018-12-01 at 06:00 PM.
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Titan in the Playground

That last panel, in today's NP, is just too good.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here.

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Speaking of that EGS:NP, I'm getting some Mesopotamian mythology vibes and I don't know how I feel about that.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo360 View Post
    Speaking of that EGS:NP, I'm getting some Mesopotamian mythology vibes and I don't know how I feel about that.
    I'm not sure what's the relationship between Mesopotamian mythology and colorblind geckos with long hair and stolen shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    I'm not sure what's the relationship between Mesopotamian mythology and colorblind geckos with long hair and stolen shoes.
    Specifically the stolen shoes; it reminds me of Ishtar's descent into the underworld. Let's just say that I'm worried about what will happen if the pattern established here continues for the next few rooms.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

It's only happened once so far, which doesn't qualify as a pattern. Also, I think the author's established practices preclude the possibility of it going too far - while he has been gradually getting more comfortable with drawing nudity and near-nudity, he puts such things in separate designated places, not in either of the primary comic sections (story and NP).
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    It's only happened once so far, which doesn't qualify as a pattern. Also, I think the author's established practices preclude the possibility of it going too far - while he has been gradually getting more comfortable with drawing nudity and near-nudity, he puts such things in separate designated places, not in either of the primary comic sections (story and NP).
    I know, I just can't help noticing the parallel.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Interesting to see the point in the newest story comic being brought up again, especially considering how many of the details of said point have changed after Sister III's ending. It does leave me wondering since Magic has given up on being a hipster, what ARE its priorities now?

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ogre in the Playground

It does leave me wondering since Magic has given up on being a hipster, what ARE its priorities now?
    Getting a stable office job and starting a family.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

16. - Top - End - #1306
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting to see the point in the newest story comic being brought up again, especially considering how many of the details of said point have changed after Sister III's ending. It does leave me wondering since Magic has given up on being a hipster, what ARE its priorities now?
    It wants humans to use magic!
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    It wants humans to use magic!
    I mean, yeah, but there's got to be more than that, right? It's implied that its priorities have shifted, but I don't know how, and I'm hoping the seers do.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think we really can know what magic wants since it is a truly alien entity, so much so that it's not even really an entity. Trying to figure out magic's desires is like trying to imagine the fourth spacial dimension: it probably exists, but we are absolutely incapable of understanding it.
    Princess Celestia's Homebrew Corner
    Old classes, new classes, and more!

Thanks to AsteriskAmp for the avatar!

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    I don't think we really can know what magic wants since it is a truly alien entity, so much so that it's not even really an entity. Trying to figure out magic's desires is like trying to imagine the fourth spacial dimension: it probably exists, but we are absolutely incapable of understanding it.
    Actually, hyperdimensional or even differential geometry is way easier, since we can actually describe them accurately. From description comes understanding and even some kind of intuition. But I do understand the sentiment: we cannot imagine anything that is not at least a bit based on our own experiances - imagination doesn't work from nothing.

What did change in priorities of magic for sure is that earlier it wanted to remain largely hidden. Did abandonment of such goal changed other priorities (whatever they may be) remains unknown. I still am rather uneasy about the Uryuom getting magic back, but this time around humanity has Edward Verres, so things should work out somehow.
    Last edited by Radar; Yesterday at 12:48 AM.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.