New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShIVe: Damn It, Dan, Stop Teasing Us!

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Is Tedd's quick acceptance of Pandora as a maternal figure sad, heartwarming, or both?
    Rater, take it from someone who knows:
    when you lack a parental feeling in your life, and you find someone who gives you that feeling when you feel empty otherwise? you take what you can get.

though I question if Pandora is truly crazy. I think she is just really eccentric and immortals don't have a good term for what you get like past 200 years so they say "crazy" and try not to find out more just to be better safe than sorry.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

The Otaku Immortal's face in panel three is horrifying. It's like a she's a resident of Innsmouth.

This NP storyline isn't canon though, at least not yet, so... Tedd did swear to try and bring back the hammers. Think he'll ask his Godmother for help with that?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    though I question if Pandora is truly crazy. I think she is just really eccentric and immortals don't have a good term for what you get like past 200 years so they say "crazy" and try not to find out more just to be better safe than sorry.
    The term is not as much "crazy" as it is "unstable". Yes, as long as she is holding herself together, she will still be her. But when she forgets to do so, well we're back to the demented immortal that does cruel things for the lulz (because her empathy is no longer recognizing others as sentient) or hatches dangerous plots with dangerous people because it breaks the monotony.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #64

Does anyone else Elliot's cat-form and/or Tedd's belt to make a return?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #65

Um... a thought occurs to me.

There is a minor recurring character called the screaming blonde: She screamed in a panic and incites such when the Goo attacked in Sister and then later screamed and called animal control when the "evil monkey" was spotted in Sister II.

Her role in the story is to scream whenever there's a monster at Moperville North, basically, and in the commentary of the evil monkey strip, Dan said that even if he wanted to use someone else, he had to for the Bloodgrem because it was a sequel.

We are currently in Sister III, we know that there's a small army of Mercenary Aberrations, and Aberrations are known to pre-emptively kill potential vampire slayers. There is a potential vampire slayer at North.

I am... Susan and Diane aren't gonna be talking at the mall food court or whatever their plan was on Friday. They're probably going to talk at the Veres residence when everybody regroups there after a fight with a bunch of man eating monsters at both schools.

Forgive the double post.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2017-08-10 at 04:41 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I am... Susan and Diane aren't gonna be talking at the mall food court or whatever their plan was on Friday. They're probably going to talk at the Veres residence when everybody regroups there after a fight with a bunch of man eating monsters at both schools.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they get together at the Veres residence, but given the trouble Jerry seemed to be in while watching Susan, I'm not absolutely certain that Susan will make it to school before being attacked. I think it's more likely that the intent is to protect Susan and whoever is responsible is simply concerned that Jerry is a threat to her, though, so yeah, an attack on her at school could easily happen, screaming blonde and all.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they get together at the Veres residence, but given the trouble Jerry seemed to be in while watching Susan, I'm not absolutely certain that Susan will make it to school before being attacked. I think it's more likely that the intent is to protect Susan and whoever is responsible is simply concerned that Jerry is a threat to her, though, so yeah, an attack on her at school could easily happen, screaming blonde and all.
    that was wednesday night.

If she was't in school on Thursday, I think it would have been mentioned.

Thus, I find it unlikely that, whether the thingy has good or ill intentions for her, it's not an indication that she won't make to to school Friday.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2017-08-10 at 07:11 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yeah, I missed that it said it was Wednesday night. Thanks.

9. - Top - End - #69

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, this had better not mean that she's planning to reset before she sees Tedd again.

It'd better just mean she's expecting to let the people she loves down or hurt them inadvertently through her actions...

Or while in a less lucid period.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

New comic

Called it! (with coda by Rater202, kind of)

Spoiler
    Show
    With the way this story has been set up, the way it's heading, and the basic nature of EGS stories, I'm expecting Pandora's idea to work. She'll be out of commission for a few weeks, then return with much less power and much less knowledge, but much more stability and the bulk of her feelings, personality, and character intact.

I expect she'll still be in full unstable-and-powerful mode when Voltaire's Friday night plan goes down, though. Pandora's planning to tell Adrian about her lie and apologize on Saturday, and there's no way she'll risk going back on that.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

11. - Top - End - #71

Spoiler
    Show
    ...She's not just gonna assume she can do it, right?

She's gonna do research, try and force more past-self memories, or go back to Heka to double check,
    right?

At the very least, she should probably vow to never forget her friends, family, or what they mean to her beforehand--which would also solve the "I'll forget about Tedd again" problem, I think. Invasive thoughts would push her back on track.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    ...She's not just gonna assume she can do it, right?

She's gonna do research, try and force more past-self memories, or go back to Heka to double check,
    right?

At the very least, she should probably vow to never forget her friends, family, or what they mean to her beforehand--which would also solve the "I'll forget about Tedd again" problem, I think. Invasive thoughts would push her back on track.
    Actually, that would be an interesting way to retain memories. Put the memories in the vow! You wouldn't ever be able to escape it.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, that would be an interesting way to retain memories. Put the memories in the vow! You wouldn't ever be able to escape it.
    As-written, that might just result in reminders equivalent to having it told to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"I vow to always remember and care for my family"?

Boom. I think that would do it for her.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

15. - Top - End - #75

I don't think vows actually change what you are capable of doing, they merely provide very strong motivation to use your existing capabilities to fulfill them. So, Pandora could vow to always stay with and protect her family, but it would not do anything to help keep memories through a reset.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-08-16 at 10:19 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

16. - Top - End - #76

I'd go back to when Nu-Jerry tried to break his Vow and immediately got Old Jerry saying "I vowed."

Pandora vowing to always remember her friends and family and what they mean to her... in the Short Term, it would remind her of their existence if she forgot about them again.

In the long term, it would stop her from resetting until she was absolutely sure she could pass her actual memories and feelings onto her next self, and thus, prevent her from doing the stupid.

Also... couldn't she like, write down the most important knowledge she needs? Like everything she knows about seers, how to help someone awaken, the little knowlede that her friends and family might need for her.(In particular, not knowing ways to help someone awaken is gonna be nessesary for her Vow to Sarah.)

I'm assuming that Dan showing off all of Ellen's spells is evidence that magic isn't going to change. Since the bad guy and the jerk are both trying to make it change and EGS is a series where the bad guys loose, and becuase it would be a waste to show off new spells just to have them go byby.

Actually, the thought occurs to me that... Come to school, is Tedd gonna talk to Sarah and be like "hey, do you remember how I said I wasn't a wizard at the tournement the other day? ...Yeah, I met Box... turns out she's my fairy godmother... and well, guess who has two thumbs and is somekind of hyper specialized super wizard?"

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Question from new comic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, do you think 'comically evil guy' was possessed by an aberration, and that this possessing aberration is the one criticizing the 'gonna eat you' aberration?
    Or is it a dude beyond 'comically evil guy'?

Upon hearing about the bonus if nobody extra dies, I thought we'd see two aberrations fighting. This is more amusing.

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Question from new comic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, do you think 'comically evil guy' was possessed by an aberration, and that this possessing aberration is the one criticizing the 'gonna eat you' aberration?
    Or is it a dude beyond 'comically evil guy'?

Upon hearing about the bonus if nobody extra dies, I thought we'd see two aberrations fighting. This is more amusing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ComicallyEvil guy was literally just someone that Dan could show being killed and eaten without feeling bad.

Elitist Abberation is clearly someone separate.

Also, I kind of want to hug Hanma-chan.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    ComicallyEvil guy was literally just someone that Dan could show being killed and eaten without feeling bad.

Elitist Abberation is clearly someone separate.

Also, I kind of want to hug Hanma-chan.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, do you think they all just lost the 25% bonus, since monstrous aberration ate a dude? Or did the scarfed aberration interrupt the meal, so comically evil guy is still going to do his comical evil?

EDIT: just realized that the events with comically evil dude probably happened before the signal, so no consequences. I'll still leave my question in the spoilers.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2017-08-23 at 08:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, do you think they all just lost the 25% bonus, since monstrous aberration ate a dude? Or did the scarfed aberration interrupt the meal, so comically evil guy is still going to do his comical evil?

EDIT: just realized that the events with comically evil dude probably happened before the signal, so no consequences. I'll still leave my question in the spoilers.
    Also, I doubt that, other than the two aberrations, anyone will know that the comically evil guy was killed. I think his entire body is being eaten.

21. - Top - End - #81

Also, I doubt that, other than the two aberrations, anyone will know that the comically evil guy was killed. I think his entire body is being eaten.
    Like the eater said, less evidence his way. Plus, I rather doubt an aberration, being completely amoral, would report it when it would negate his own 25% bonus pay. I think the only way that bonus might be in peril, at any point in this story, is if they kill someone and leave evidence of it for a non-aberration (or Sirleck himself) to find. Or, you know, if the entire operation gets busted by the main cast.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2017-08-23 at 10:58 PM.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Like the eater said, less evidence his way. Plus, I rather doubt an aberration, being completely amoral, would report it when it would negate his own 25% bonus pay. I think the only way that bonus might be in peril, at any point in this story, is if they kill someone and leave evidence of it for a non-aberration (or Sirleck himself) to find. Or, you know, if the entire operation gets busted by the main cast.
    ...I now what the Entire Crew at Moperville North to find out about the attack at South and, conened for their loved ones, all flee North go provide Backup.

I'm sure that Tedd could easily fit the Cheerledra form and Project a Magic Weapon with Anti-Aberation properties spells into his Wand, Pandora said it had plenty of Room and if Tedd truly is a font of power it's not like he needs a lot of room for energy in the Wand.

And then he simply has to tranform everyone but Elliot and Arm everyone but Susan.

Unless, for some reason, he feels the need to rbing his Gauntlet and uses that instead.

Or maybe North is in the Way to Sourth from where the Abberations are coming.

I want the Entire Main Cast and the combat capable supporting Cast(So Raven, Noah, Greg, and Mr. Verres basically) fighting side by side for a change... Screw it, I want Mr. Verres to call in Back Up when he finds out how many Abberations are in Moperville and openly attacking and call in as many favors as he needs to go over Arthur's head if need be and get that swat-team from Painted Black and Grace's Siblings here.

I want Magic to come this close to changing, and then Tedd looks right in a live News Feed, explains exactly who is is and what he's capable of and declares that he'll bring MAgic Back as many times as it takes to the whole World so it might as well not change at all, and then Pandora apears behind him and Vows to help him keep that promise, protecting him from any fallout that might come from Arthur since the bastard apparently decided to unilaterally get rid of Magic.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #83

Well, the plan is to get Magus his body back (with Sirlek planning to then steal it), which by all revealed information requires Ellen zapping Elliot. Since Elliot goes to North and Ellen goes to South, either the plan includes some step to bring them together or it takes place after school, possibly both. So there should definitely be some form of cross-school event coming up. Plus, with how long this confrontation has been in the works in the real world, and how many different threads have been pulled in so far for this arc, I'm expecting the climax to be massively huge.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

Well, the plan is to get Magus his body back (with Sirlek planning to then steal it), which by all revealed information requires Ellen zapping Elliot. Since Elliot goes to North and Ellen goes to South, either the plan includes some step to bring them together or it takes place after school, possibly both. So there should definitely be some form of cross-school event coming up. Plus, with how long this confrontation has been in the works in the real world, and how many different threads have been pulled in so far for this arc, I'm expecting the climax to be massively huge.
    ...Is Noriko randomly gonna show up at the end becuase she was following the Abberations and the next arc is gonna be dealing with Tedd's abandonment issues?

I mean, since Tedd knows about her now and has accepted Pandora as a maternal figure...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #85

New NP

Spoiler
    Show
    Prediction for Susan's first advice point: Scratch the "unsuspecting" part.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I wasn't expecting a hiatus, was one notified while I wasn't taking notice?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

27. - Top - End - #87

He's having technical issues, he says as much on the front page.

There's details on the EGS twitter.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ladies and gentlemen, see what could have been done in a panel take up a whole page
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

29. - Top - End - #89

Regarding NP, I think I'm vaguely remembering what Dan is referring to, but not more than that and I don't want to spend the time and effort to look it up. Could someone please summarize (in a spoiler block) the details of that incident, and in particular how it goes horribly wrong?

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

Regarding NP, I think I'm vaguely remembering what Dan is referring to, but not more than that and I don't want to spend the time and effort to look it up. Could someone please summarize (in a spoiler block) the details of that incident, and in particular how it goes horribly wrong?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Harry Potter example of forced infatuation going horribly wrong?

Merope Gaunt was a descendant of Salazar Slytherin from a branch that was so inbred that they could barely magic--Merope never went to hogwarts and was abused by the others, and so wasn't able to magic until her father and brother ended up elsewhere.

she had a thing for a Muggle by the name of Tom Riddle and, once her incredibly racist relatives were gone,
    she ensnared him with a love potion and ran off with him--even conceiving a child. Becuase the child was born under the effect of a love potion, the child's abiillty to experiance love was hampered--essentially he was predisposed to narasistic psychopathy, though WoG is that if he'd been raised with love the child would have turned out, if not a good person, than at least a fuctional and productive member of socity.

However, after the child was conceived, Merope stopped feeding Tom love potions--maybe she believed that he'd come to love her for real or maybe that he'd stay for the baby...

However... 1: The Riddles were a bunch of rich A-holes and Tom was no exception, and 2: Tom was justifiably horrified at being ensorcelled into loving and copulating with an ugly inbred hag with violent relatives. The second meant he ran at the first opportunity, and the first meant that he didn't give two craps about the child he left behind. Merope died of a broken heart after her son was born, living just long enough to name him Tom after his father and Marvolo after her own.(the implication is that she could have lived--could have used magic tokeep herself alive, but she chose to die. Although she wasn't tha t bright--she sold two proicless family herlooms, one which turned out to be an absurdly powerful artifact, for pocket change.)

For those of you who don't remember the climax of HPatCoS: "Tom Marvolo Riddle"="I am Lord Voldemort."

Wizard Hitler happened becuase an inbred idiot fell in love with a rich jackass and decided to make him become infatuated with her with magic, then died to leave him to be raised without what he needed to make him a good person despite that.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks