New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShIVe: Damn It, Dan, Stop Teasing Us!

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Becuase the child was born under the effect of a love potion, the child's abiillty to experiance love was hampered--essentially he was predisposed to narasistic psychopathy
    Wait, is that canon? I thought that was just a widespread fanon.

Also,
    Spoiler: Second Example
    Show
    A second incident is the repeated attempts by Romilda Vane to get Harry to be her boyfriend by slipping him a love potion, which Ron ends up taking by mistake, and so warps his mind that he attacks Harry for not being as infatuated with Romilda as he is.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-09-05 at 12:09 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #92
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    The Harry Potter example of forced infatuation going horribly wrong?

Merope Gaunt was a descendant of Salazar Slytherin from a branch that was so inbred that they could barely magic--Merope never went to hogwarts and was abused by the others, and so wasn't able to magic until her father and brother ended up elsewhere.

she had a thing for a Muggle by the name of Tom Riddle and, once her incredibly racist relatives were gone,
    she ensnared him with a love potion and ran off with him--even conceiving a child. Becuase the child was born under the effect of a love potion, the child's abiillty to experiance love was hampered--essentially he was predisposed to narasistic psychopathy, though WoG is that if he'd been raised with love the child would have turned out, if not a good person, than at least a fuctional and productive member of socity.

However, after the child was conceived, Merope stopped feeding Tom love potions--maybe she believed that he'd come to love her for real or maybe that he'd stay for the baby...

However... 1: The Riddles were a bunch of rich A-holes and Tom was no exception, and 2: Tom was justifiably horrified at being ensorcelled into loving and copulating with an ugly inbred hag with violent relatives. The second meant he ran at the first opportunity, and the first meant that he didn't give two craps about the child he left behind. Merope died of a broken heart after her son was born, living just long enough to name him Tom after his father and Marvolo after her own.(the implication is that she could have lived--could have used magic tokeep herself alive, but she chose to die. Although she wasn't tha t bright--she sold two proicless family herlooms, one which turned out to be an absurdly powerful artifact, for pocket change.)

For those of you who don't remember the climax of HPatCoS: "Tom Marvolo Riddle"="I am Lord Voldemort."

Wizard Hitler happened becuase an inbred idiot fell in love with a rich jackass and decided to make him become infatuated with her with magic, then died to leave him to be raised without what he needed to make him a good person despite that.
    Is that background story shown in any of the movies, though? I don't remember anything about that in the movies (though it's been long enough I could easily have forgotten it), and Hanma is being educated specifically by watching the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post

Also,
    Spoiler: Second Example
    Show
    A second incident is the repeated attempts by Romilda Vane to get Harry to be her boyfriend by slipping him a love potion, which Ron ends up taking by mistake, and so warps his mind that he attacks Harry for not being as infatuated with Romilda as he is.

GW
    That's the one I was thinking of. Just how bad does it get?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    Is that background story shown in any of the movies, though? I don't remember anything about that in the movies (though it's been long enough I could easily have forgotten it), and Hanma is being educated specifically by watching the movies.
    I don't recall myself, but it's a big detail to leave out. That said, in the books the focus is on Merope- she's portrayed as the victim, desperate to get herself a happy life, and making horrible decisions because she's been abused and simply can't figure out how to not be abusive herself.

That's the one I was thinking of. Just how bad does it get?
    It's played for laughs, mostly, from what I can recall: Ron being particularly pathetic about his obsession.

Honestly, I also am unsure why someone'd pick the HP films to educate on the dangers of magical means of coercion. Maybe it's the scenes touching on the Imperio curse instead? Moody's lesson on it is quite well written, in the books at least.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2017-09-05 at 02:40 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed there. There's a couple of examples in HP... but Imperio is in fourth year, and all the love-potion stuff comes up in sixth, and none of it takes up a large fraction of the movies involved. That's a lot of movie-watching for a relatively small amount of relevant content, especially if they were starting from Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone to give background.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Huh. I thought referencing Ranma would be the low hanging fruit here. Its been a decade but I am preeeettttyyyyy sure that show would have mind control and bad involuntary magic in spades.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    *waves hand half-heartedly*

It's a little of both. It's based on something Rowling said, but a lot of people take it out of context to make it a bigger deal than it is--Joe's line was that being conceived under the effect of a love potion was a contributing factor to how Voldemort ended up, while some people blame the whole thing on it.

At the same time, Rowling said that he wouldn't have gotten as bad if he'd been raised with love, so...
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

she had a thing for a Muggle by the name of Tom Riddle and, once her incredibly racist relatives were gone,
    she ensnared him with a love potion and ran off with him--even conceiving a child. Becuase the child was born under the effect of a love potion, the child's abiillty to experiance love was hampered--essentially he was predisposed to narasistic psychopathy, though WoG is that if he'd been raised with love the child would have turned out, if not a good person, than at least a fuctional and productive member of socity.

You know, I would have expected the opposite -- being raised with love bringing him to be good while not healing his mental handicap.

Anyway, it's an interesting story, because 1. HP and his parents love and so on and 2. JR herself is a single mother.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2017-09-05 at 06:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    You know, I would have expected the opposite -- being raised with love bringing him to be good while not healing his mental handicap.
    IT's not so much a mental handicap as... Tom M. Riddle was an excellent student, very smart, very charismatic, a natural-born leader--the only reason he didn't become the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher right out of Hogwarts is becuase the headmaster at the time wanted someone with more life experiance.

He was also a cold-hearted sociopath with an inflated sense of self-worth, and this was apparent from the day Professor Dumbledore came to give him his Hogwarts letter--he was excited at being special, but the second Albus said that the barman wat the Leaky Cauldron was also named Tom his mood turned sour.

Someone like that has little to no ability to empathize with others and tend to have less of a moral compass... but you can teach morals and empathy if only on an intellectual level. What I took away from the comment is that if Tom had been raised with Love, he would have ended up like that.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #99

I just realized: This mechanic could end up affecting Susan, since she'll be one of the players.

Susan. With boosted physical attraction.

This has serious potential for otherwise very rare and out of character scenes. Not that the whole game isn't full of such things, but this one in particular seems noteworthy.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

10. - Top - End - #100

Um... Is anyone else getting "Velma" vibes from Ashley's redesign?

I'm calling it, she's gonna end up in Nanase and Ellen's group when the crap hits the fan and everyone is fighting vampires all over town.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground

Am I the only one wondering if Hanma is canon?

I mean... the situation, obviously, isn't. We know this whole storyline is non-canon.
    Buuuuut, I get the impression Dan is having fun writing Hanma and her quirks, so I wonder if there will be a "canon" version of Hanma in the storyline at some point.
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

Rise of the Runelords -Ely
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars - Jean/Saber

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Quiver View Post
    Am I the only one wondering if Hanma is canon?

I mean... the situation, obviously, isn't. We know this whole storyline is non-canon.
    Buuuuut, I get the impression Dan is having fun writing Hanma and her quirks, so I wonder if there will be a "canon" version of Hanma in the storyline at some point.
    No need to wonder, Dan has already stated that she is (see the commentary).

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Bugbear in the Playground

No need to wonder, Dan has already stated that she is (see the commentary).
    ...Well, obviously I need to read the commentary more thoroughly in the future. Sorry for the dumb question!
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show

Rise of the Runelords -Ely
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars - Jean/Saber

14. - Top - End - #104

With the way the scenes keep jumping around, I'm getting the feeling that keeping all of these plot threads chronologically synchronized is going to be important for this part of the story, possibly so that when the violence starts we'll already know exactly where everyone is at that exact time and how they got there. It would do a lot to minimize apparent ass-pulls and help track how the various parts of The Plan relate to each other.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_TFiB3e3_J4

I teleported. It's impressive.
    ... He didn't blame me.
    I ... I must succeed.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

My thoughts on the NP: if Rhoda can shrink people/objects around a point within sight, that gives a really useful ability, and amusing implications as to where she was looking at the time.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    My thoughts on the NP: if Rhoda can shrink people/objects around a point within sight, that gives a really useful ability, and amusing implications as to where she was looking at the time.
    No reason for the centerpoint of the shrinking to be the centerpoint of her visual focus. She's not looking at the waitress in the prior. If her physical actions have relevance, it's more likely to do with where her hand is pointing.

I'm more curious about her arm. Didn't even get mentioned in the commentary but that's ridiculous.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I'm more curious about her arm. Didn't even get mentioned in the commentary but that's ridiculous.
    What about it? Extending the length of her arm is a simple and straightforward application of size-changing magic, which is what she has a talent for.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

What about it? Extending the length of her arm is a simple and straightforward application of size-changing magic, which is what she has a talent for.
    I don't think she previously demonstrated an ability to change just part of something, though?
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2017-09-16 at 09:58 AM.
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #110

I don't think she previously demonstrated an ability to change just part of something, though?
    In Escape From the Mall, a quick flashback, the third hypothetical, and what she actually does to Kitty.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

...how on earth did I forget all that?
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Expanding bust size is an example of this, isn't it?

23. - Top - End - #113

Is the website down for anyone else or is it just me?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #114

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

The site was okay a couple of hours ago.

Spoiler
    Show
    Today's comic was about Nanase being unsure about Eliot's new girlfriend's <I forgot name, and can't check with the site down> motivations.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    The site was okay a couple of hours ago.

Spoiler
    Show
    Today's comic was about Nanase being unsure about Eliot's new girlfriend's <I forgot name, and can't check with the site down> motivations.
    It's back up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And her name is Ashley.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Latest comic:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A remarkably interesting point of view and covers up one of the complaints I had about Arthur. It also makes his character seem a lot more pragmatic and sane. Also it's one of the few times this kind of viewpoint is brought up in stories that I can remember, "Why on earth would I try to outwit a force of nature that is nigh omniscient and much more powerful than me". While quite a lot of stories involve someone trying that and it not ending well for them
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Today's comic
    Spoiler
    Show

Something about Sybil's words and appearance made me think she might be Voltaire in disguise. Her words seem like they'd push Voltaire's agenda (guiding him to make magic change), and she looks vaguely not-quite-human, but maybe that's Dan's art style for folk with chubby faces. Just her face looks different from most people in the comic.

But the commentary today made me dismiss that.
    Also, I reckon they'd have security for impostors. We know that Verres knows a spell to check for impostors (what he used on Eliot when shapeshifted), and I reckon that'd work on immortals unless we had reason to think otherwise. And it'd be hard to take the time to be a full-time secretary for a guy who probably works a lot of hours beyond 9-5.

29. - Top - End - #119

Spoiler
    Show
    Arthur unilaterally deciding to steal magic from everyone and put a lot of FBI agents and their presumed counterparts from elsewhere in the world out of the job confirmed.

He's still a ****, and I hope that when the incident inevitably happens, Tedd looks right into a live broadcast and declares exactly who and what he is and what he's capable of ant that he'll force magic to stay put if possible, becuase, fearing that the incident is too much, it's going to change.

Or, alternatively, that a Seer' Hidden purpose is to decide how magic changes and Tedd becomes that Seer, and he puts it right the way it used to... but makes it harder for bad people to get magic

And then Pandora apears behind him and vows to support him in this plan and do everything in her power to prevent people from taking action against Tedd or his frineds and family

and Arthur is watching, and fuming impotently because he doesn't want an angry immortal out for his blood.

And optionally gets glared out by the several wizards and normal spellcasters who work for the FBI. Possibly fired.

But I'm serious, have EGS go full unmasked world here.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Hmm... my post today is similar to my last one.
    Spoiler: Today's comic
    Show

Anyone else think that 'Ellen' in today's comic might not be Ellen? The frantic running reminded me of Jerry from a couple comics back.

Well, I think it's either foreshadowing a 'guidance' of Nanase or this is some foreshadowing of Nanase feeling slightly offended at Ellen. She seems to have slightly hurt feelings about the rush up--get answer--go.