New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish ShIVe: Damn It, Dan, Stop Teasing Us!

The other thing that's not quite visible--Is Raven holding his cane? So, has he been tipped off somehow? If yes, why in blazes would he choose to be in a crowded space?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    The other thing that's not quite visible--Is Raven holding his cane? So, has he been tipped off somehow? If yes, why in blazes would he choose to be in a crowded space?
    I understand it that he gets a bad feeling about the day, so he brings his cane with him for the day. He didn't know what would happen when Abraham attacked, just that something bad would happen that day.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I understand it that he gets a bad feeling about the day, so he brings his cane with him for the day. He didn't know what would happen when Abraham attacked, just that something bad would happen that day.
    I have a feeling Raven has some sort of "Is today going to be dangerous?" spell. It suits his personality, after all.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Colossus in the Playground

...Reveal that elves can have children after all and that Raven is Susan's(and Diane's) grandparent or even parent in 3... 2...
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It would take time, but that might give Pandora another way to make magic widespread and more fully live up to her name. Maybe that's the reason for the lie to being with?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

I think the reason for the lie was to reduce the chance of an immortal refusing to reset because she has, not just a child, but an ever growing clan of descendants that she doesn't want to give up her love for. It would explain Heka's comment about it.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Raven is probably a grandparent. The father had brownish hair.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #188
    Firbolg in the Playground

Nanananana Snailpace
    Snailpace
    Snailpace
    Nananananana
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #189
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

By the way, have you guys been discussing the fact that Susan and Diane are changelings. Specifically Susan, who is Raven's daughter created without his knowledge by Pandora's tricky plans using Diane as a template and then switching out Diane to go off and be adopted?

I mean, immortals did get confirmed as fairies recently.

10. - Top - End - #190

From my pov, there could be alternate dimensions involved. We know that immortals have different rules in griffinland, so who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RowenMorland View Post
    the fact
    [citation needed]

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #192

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    [citation needed]

GW
    Ha! When I was editing it to make it more readable I dropped out the "might be" bit and didn't notice.

edit: Oh the other part of my guess was that the child would be the result of Noriko and Raven's indiscretion that broke her and Edward up and was for the purpose of creating a magically potent child that she wanted for keeping her legacy going..
    Last edited by RowenMorland; 2017-10-24 at 06:31 PM. Reason: adding stuff without double posting

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There's a few major flaws in that idea:

1. Previously, Raven and Pandora both were totally unaware of the possibility for elves to reproduce. (It's possible--maybe even probable?--that Tedd is a distant descendant of Raven himself. At the very least, he has an Immortal ancestor somewhere in his heritage, through Noriko at the very least if not also through Edward)
    2. Susan and Diane are too close to Tedd's age for Noriko to have given birth to another child.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Assuming the duo (and indeed all mages) are indeed descended from elves, that is a bomb that neither of the Ravens are aware of. And a bomb it's going to prove, if my theory is right. My theory, as I've said before, being that Adrian has had multiple loves in his long life, only to reject them as unfaithful when they fell pregnant. After all, elves can't have children and his mother wouldn't lie about something as important as that. You don't get better proof of cheating than that. When he learns that most, if not all, of the children he dismissed as this were actually his, he's going to be shattered. How many loves did he throw away for something they never did? How many children that he desperately wanted did he turn his nose up at? Oh, yes. "Bomb" is the word.

My theory on the duo is still dimensional duplicates. This story has used that element before, multiple times. How many Tedd's and Elliot/Ellens have we had? Remember how "Grace didn't die in that dimension"? How Ellen's entire life story now is stolen from another dimensional duplicate? And yet, nobody in the strip has even brought that up as an option, which is glaringly odd. The only way that works at all is if it's being left out so that it can blindside people with the reveal.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2017-10-25 at 08:11 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post

1. Previously, Raven and Pandora both were totally unaware of the possibility for elves to reproduce. (It's possible--maybe even probable?--that Tedd is a distant descendant of Raven himself. At the very least, he has an Immortal ancestor somewhere in his heritage, through Noriko at the very least if not also through Edward)
    2. Susan and Diane are too close to Tedd's age for Noriko to have given birth to another child.
    Per Heka, all Wizards and people with special affinities are descended from something that made Pandora say what and think that Adrian would hate her.

Not just Seers. So if it is immortals, then there's a possibility that half the main cast could have common ancestors(Tedd is Seer, Nanase is related to a Wizard, Susan and Sarah have affinities)

I personally would find it highly unlikely to learn that they were all related to the same immortal--especially if we're right and Susan is related to Raven, but it'd be a fun plotline if it was.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #196

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post

Those are some big problems with the idea. I suppose it is still possible that Noriko exploited some magical loopholes and lore to make it happen despite those problems but if she were that involved then why would she leave the child behind since her motive was that she super wanted a magically gifted apprentice heir.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm guessing... cousins! Maybe half-sisters? But I bet their Raven's grandkids!

I suppose dimensional dupes is possible, but why give a child up for adoption in another dimension? Paperwork error? GPS glitch? Transdimensional car equipped with transdimensional GPS and when you asked for the nearest hospital it gave you one two dimensions windershins?

P.S. The pacing is a good bit better if you read the comics in a binge. Just go binge back from the beginning.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

There are at the very least dozens of immortals, probably thousands (given that we know of at least five currently in Moperville). To suggest that all wizards come from Raven seems silly, especially since American Japanese, let alone American Chinese, are a very recent innovation.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

It occurs to me that this could still be a bait-and-switch without too much of a fundamental change if the source of human mages was actually close early-life contact with immortals and elves. Then we have roughly similar results without the oddity of how Raven (in the old hypothetical) never noticed that his affairs kept producing kids. Slightly easier to miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

On latest EGS:
    Hm, it seems Susan is Asexual. Yeah, I was expecting that. She never seemed all that interested in other people in that way.

However she isn't Aromantic. given that she has feelings for Elliot. Asexual but romantic seems to fit here perfectly.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    On latest EGS:
    Hm, it seems Susan is Asexual. Yeah, I was expecting that. She never seemed all that interested in other people in that way.

However she isn't Aromantic. given that she has feelings for Elliot. Asexual but romantic seems to fit here perfectly.
    She also seems to believe that her lack of sexual desires is part of her broader dislike of being touched. Given that she believes those tendencies are negatively impacting her life and is actively working towards eliminating them, we shall see is she does remain asexual or if she embraces that aspect while curtailing the rest.

We may get more on the topic later - for now she is contemplating her own innate sexist thoughts, which is obviously far more crucial to her than her sexuality.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    There are at the very least dozens of immortals, probably thousands (given that we know of at least five currently in Moperville). To suggest that all wizards come from Raven seems silly, especially since American Japanese, let alone American Chinese, are a very recent innovation.
    There's only 32 years between the end of the American War of Independence (1783) and the first wave of Chinese immigration to the USA (1815).

Granted, America's intense racism against non-European immigrants resulted in a legal ban that lasted from 1882 to 1943 (Chinese Exclusion Act, etc.) but this happened in the first place because there was a sizable presence of Chinese people on the West Coast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

23. - Top - End - #203
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    On latest EGS:

One Fan asked Dan, if Susan could be autochissexual. You know, because of her Reaction to Elliott and Catalina.

Dan said, that he finds that Theory interesting, but he didn't want to confirm it. I guees, he didn't knew that Term before, but noticed, that it would fit somewhat.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I think susan might be bisexual with hangups about sex. Considering how she was brought up, I can see her having developed some serious negative attitudes and misconceptions about sexual contact. She's getting over them, but asexuality isn't caused by these issues, it's caused by a lack of sexual attraction.

25. - Top - End - #205

The older I get and the more I learn about "nonstandard"(term used for convenience) sexualities, the more I agree with Ashley: Why does everything need a lable.

Susan walked in on her father having sex with a woman who was not her mother, and her mother, a bitter woman who is clearly whacked when it comes to sex and gender, said that it was becuase he was a man instead of any of the countless real reasons why someone would have an affair.

These two events screwed Susan up--they're why she was a stereotypical feminazi at first before character development set in, and it would make sense if one or both of them gave her issues and hangups related to thae actual act of having sex.

As for sexual orientation... honestly, I figured she was self-closeted bi the first time she said she wished she could be more atracted to Catlana.

So: "She might like boys and girls but hasn't put much thought into it because she's somewhat disgusted with the idea of sex and just went along with what was 'standard' as a result of not thinking about it." That's clear and leaves little room for confusion. Why use a label that might be less clear?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you're confusing "unclear" and "imprecise."

I can say "table" and an image comes into your mind, but we can still be thinking about different kinds of tables, because tables come in all sorts of designs and for all sorts of purposes- for example, my kitchen table looks nothing like my dining table, and neither of them look like the coffee table in my loving room.

So ironically enough, your complaint is resolved when you actually add more to the label, not take it away.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2017-10-28 at 01:10 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    I think you're confusing "unclear" and "imprecise."

I can say "table" and an image comes into your mind, but we can still be thinking about different kinds of tables, because tables come in all sorts of designs and for all sorts of purposes- for example, my kitchen table looks nothing like my dining table, and neither of them look like the coffee table in my loving room.

So ironically enough, your complaint is resolved when you actually add more to the label, not take it away.
    The problem is that spectrum stuff makes it hard to simply slap a label on something. Or you end up with too many labels and it gets confusing. Like with colors.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    The problem is that spectrum stuff makes it hard to simply slap a label on something. Or you end up with too many labels and it gets confusing. Like with colors.
    The way you just described it, the "problem" isn't the label, but rather the slipping upon thereof.

Also, you seem to believe that most people who question their gender or sexual identity just "slap" something on when they find something that fits.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2017-10-28 at 04:04 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Labels are useful for talking about concepts without having to explain them more than once to a specific person. And if you're lucky you might even talk about the concept with someone who already got it explained to them by someone else!
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

So I just finished my third read through of El Goonish Shive. Its still brilliant and fun.

I also have a spreadsheet that calculates the number of comics published in each of the three sections each month since it started going online. Because I like counting things apparently. Actually it was because I felt archives went by pretty fast in 2006 and I wanted to quantity that.

Anyways I don't really enjoy trying to figure out what happens next as much as some others, but I will say this: I enjoy that the story meanders. Why? Because too many stories rush on to plot and the people and places the events are happening in become dry and stale. I've read two stories recently that started really well that switched from "introducing to the characters" to "now the action". I didn't care about the action, because they forgot about the characters that the action was supposed to be happening too.

Here everything seems alive. The importance of what is going on is super obvious. Not only how at the high level, I mean I could see how Rich dying could send waves (OK, maybe only ripples) through the story and he is a character who wouldn't matter in so many other stories. Yeah here he does, or could. The other side of it is it makes me care about the little things. I mean that ark (What is Love) where Ellen and Nanase look after Akiko and have to handle some awkward questions was great. I don't know if it has an actually significance, it probably doesn't other than we get to know more about Akiko, but still I can also understand why Nanase really didn't want to mess up that conversation.