Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Not Sure if Heretic.....

Taking a look around
    Spoiler: Awareness check
    Show
    Need to get under a 44.
    (1d100)[71]
    "YOU HAVE UNCORKED A SH-TSTORM FOR WHICH THERE IS NO LONGER A BOTTLE!!!"

"And a quick Google search lead to the cavernous hell of a Shoggoths bunghole, as most google searches tend to do..."

"I have ideas. But Osama bin Laden had ideas too, so I talk with my friends to make sure I don't make a colossal F-ck up."

In the words of that ancient guardsman hero Ollanius Pius, "Why the hell is everything always our job?"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone looks around the office, not finding much. The mutants are most certainly dead, and have very little on them. Just their melee weapons and bits of metal turned into armor. However, in a closet in the back of the office, Barik discovers the body of a man in Carapace Armor, impaled on a spike that is embedded into the wall behind it, and in his pocket he finds a small plastic card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Barik will call the others over.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

Vanthus walks over, stopping momentarily when he sees the body. "Well that answers that question - a loyal citizen killed so he wouldn't interfere. Ah, and his killers were good enough to leave us the access card we need. Excellent, good find Barik."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lazarus looks at the impaled body.

He looks at the card.

He glances around the ruined office, making a point of focusing his attention on the symbols both to remember them later, and adding emphasis for the benefit of his teammates as he dryly says, "Yes. This is very convenient for us."

Also on a mental note, he psychically isn't comfortable in the blanks presence, but DAMN if she isn't efficient at what she does.
    Last edited by janusmaxwell; 2017-07-01 at 12:14 PM.

"And a quick Google search lead to the cavernous hell of a Shoggoths bunghole, as most google searches tend to do..."

"I have ideas. But Osama bin Laden had ideas too, so I talk with my friends to make sure I don't make a colossal F-ck up."

In the words of that ancient guardsman hero Ollanius Pius, "Why the hell is everything always our job?"

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Barik
    Wounds: 11
    Fate: 3
    Clip: 59

Barik is looking at the body and wandering if the man was still alive when he was impaled. In response to Vanthus, 'Couldn't mistake the smell of all that blood.' He almost reaches for a lho stick but decides that he wants to keep his hands free.

Will say in response to Lazarus, 'You think someone wanted us to find this?'

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Caution is an important survival trait." Lazarus replies to Barik as he looks at what's left of the mutants. "Granted, we didn't have time to interrogate them, but the mutants didn't seem intelligent. Dumb enough to leave a keycard behind, yes. Smart or...restrained enough to hide the body of one of their victims?" He shakes his head. "Either we have a stroke of good fortune, or we work for the Inquisition and someone who sees us as an enemy is trying to lead us around by the nose. I think it's prudent to assume the latter."
    Last edited by janusmaxwell; 2017-07-01 at 08:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Barik

Barik will nod at that, taking Lazarus point. 'Nothing wrong with a bit of caution, and it's all the more reason to have a look around first.' Barik is going to check to see if there are any cameras that might have recorded the death of the impaled man.

9. - Top - End - #99

Vanthus nods, slightly impressed - he hadn't quite expected the psyker to have that nose for treachery. "It's always wise to expect trickery, yes, but on the other hand we do have the issue that we need to go to the control room. It does mean we can also be ready for whatever trickery the administrator attempts." He considers the line of thought further. "It's somewhat unlikely that these mutants killed him in this state, in any case - I expect that he was killed before the situation with the Wave started, as a preemptive strike. Following from this, as I doubt this administrator is a talented enough fighter to do everything himself, it's prudent to expect he has other heretics serving him - some element of security, perhaps, who betrayed the security officer and captuted the office. Perhaps they became these mutants, perhaps these mutants came later, in any case I expect we'll be running into people who shoot back soon."
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2017-07-02 at 08:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

"Is there any precaution we should take that anyone can think of? and should we check out engineering or the control room first?" Lucinia asks everyone in the room. "Also does anyone have anything they can record the symbols with? They may prove as useful intel once we can make contact again."

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

11. - Top - End - #101

Vanthus thinks. "Well the easiest is just like this time, just keeping our guns trained to fire as soon as the door opens. I suppose that's where grenades come into it - given the area my hallucinogens cover, getting one of those into there immediately should affect everyone in there. Barik, does the map give an idea what we're looking at with regards to the control room - size, nearby points of interest, layout?"

He notes down a description of the markings on the walls for later analysis as he continues."I'd recommend just going for the control room - I mean, any reinforcements from there will take time to arrive at the control room, and once we hold the control room we can call in our own reinforcements. In any case, it'll be easier to take on their other forces if they're coming to us in the control room."
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2017-07-05 at 04:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

"Ok, anyone have anything else to do here? If not I suggest we make haste to the control room, try to keep moving and prevent as much communication between potential intelligent enemies by striking fast." Lucinia says waiting for anyone's questions or objections. if no one objects she will take the lead with her chainsword and Las pistol while in the halls.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Barik

Barik has no interest in recording the symbols, even if they don't seem immediately dangerous at the moment. He will check the map again to answer Vanthus' question.

He is slightly put out by Vanthus's apparent optimism. Although given how quickly they had dispatched those mutants perhaps it was warranted.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Cyrine
    Wounds: 12/12
    Fate: 3/3

"Recording or reinscribing of potentially dangerous corrupted symbols or markings not recommended. Standard procedure: Cleanse with holy promethium if available, or leave alone until a properly equipped cleansing team arrives to deal with them." Cyrine announced almost mechanically in response to the idea that anything should be done with the symbols they'd found. It was slightly different with her, of course, but her education and some small experience had taught her that such markings were crude and repulsive at best and invited madness or daemonic possession at worst. Typically they just hurt to look at. So it was probably better all around to ignore them if no other option was available.

She fell into her usual spot in rearguard whenever the team moved out, ready to employ her long las to devastating effect if they ran into more enemies of the Imperium.
    Paladin, Green Lantern, and Cyrine by DarthRaynn!

“I've never believed in the End of Times. We are Mankind. Our footprints are on the moon. When the last trumpet sounds and the Beast rises from the pit -- we will kill it.”
    ― Travis Beacham, Pacific Rim: Tales From Year Zero

Spoiler
    Show

Kismet and Deadshot by kpenguin.

15. - Top - End - #105

When Cyrine gives her verdict on the symbols, Vanthus promptly ignores it, pocketing his dataslate before nodding. "Yes, time to keep moving on, keep on hitting these things."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Barik

Barik sees Vanthus recording the symbols but will say nothing. If someone else wanted to take the risk that was up to them.

He is mostly trying to stay watchful and will move back into the hall ready to take point again.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lazarus purses his lips, before giving a small sigh and moving to his 'assigned' position, just in front of the blank.

He doesn't mention the notes either and assumes that everyone saw Vantius pocket the dataslate. He hopes that when the mission is over, the Inquisitor or the Interrogator are more interested in investigating the symbols and possible heretical ties, rather than 'purging' the group as a precaution. If it wasn't for the fact that Cyrine would burn them as SOP, and he agreed with her on the matter, he would have her hold onto the notes, for much the same reason one would keep a possibly armed Cyclonic torpedo inside of a powerful EMP field. Otherwise-

Lazarus blinks as a thought occurs to him. "Huh. Do you suppose the symbols would be safer if they were transcribed in pieces? As a rudimentary code rather than intact?"

Spoiler: example
    Show

The letter N being broken up into l \ l as an example.

Not a perfect system, but very easy to piece back together, rather than leaving the marks intact.
    Last edited by janusmaxwell; 2017-07-06 at 09:24 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

The team heads down the hall to the second floor of the Promenade. From the walkway you all find yourselves on you can see the various stores and offices that made up the Promenade, all of which have their windows smashed out, and some have bloodstains nearby. Disturbingly, you see no mutants.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If it makes visualization easier, picture the DS9 Promenade.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-07-10 at 10:33 AM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

Vanthus is concerned as he walks through the halls - back home, situations where all seemed fine but there were hidden dangers were a fact of life, and he was feeling the same feelings now. This definitely felt way too easy, given what they'd already learnt, so he kept an eye out for mutants as they progressed.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Lucinia leads the group with her chainsword and Las pistol out, taking any directions Barik gives. She keeps an eye out for anything out of the ordinary but tries to ignore the emptiness.
    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    untrained awareness TN=17
    (1d100)[29]

Current avatar by me

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Barik is looking for a way down to the lower level and is trying to anticipate where an ambush might be likely to come from. Despite all the destruction there didn't seem to be any bodies.

Spoiler: Awareness
    Show

Listening

vs. Per 46
    (1d100)[17]

My divination lets me reroll awareness to avoid being surprised. Just in case that's relevant.

Last edited by Haval; 2017-07-10 at 06:59 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lazarus keeps his eyes open for movement, one hand on his laspistol. (finger not on trigger), and the other on his amulet.

Spoiler: Psynescience and Awareness
    Show

Psynescience check (just as a precaution, it's a free-action) <54 or 58 for Willpower based. (is it my choice or DM's when to use which one?)
    (1d100)[77]

Awareness <44
    (1d100)[22][/spoiler]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Awareness Check results
    Show

Lazarus and Barik both notice a pair of Mutants stealthily setting up a Heavy Stubber in the shattered window of a bar about 60m down the Promenade. Also you both make out about half a dozen other mutants hiding in the various other windows, all armed with Stub Rifles and improvised melee weapons.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing the glint of the heavy stubber and recognising exactly what it was, Barik will call out 'Ambush', and open up on the heavy weapon team. Even with cover it would be better to take it out as quickly as possible.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Full Action - Suppressing Fire

Semi-Auto burst with the lasgun against the mutants with the heavy stubber (-10 test to avoid pinning)

vs. BS 47 (-20 Suppressing Fire)
    (1d100)[77]

Damage if any
    1st hit
    (1d10+3)[13]

2nd hit
    (1d10+3)[6]

25. - Top - End - #115

As soon as Barik shouts out his warning and indicates where the heavy weapons team is, Vanthus aims his rifle and, spotting them, quickly takes a shot at the gunner. "I've got the gunner covered!"

Spoiler
    Show

Half action: Aim
    Half action: Standard Attack, TN 79 (BS 39 + 10 short range + 10 aim + 10 accurate + 10 standard attack) 56, so hit with 3 DoS
    Damage: (1d10+3)[11]+9, Pen 3
    If it hits, the target must make a Toughness test at a -20 penalty, if it fails it must roll on the hallucinogen table and be affected for 1 round +1 per DoF.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2017-07-14 at 04:26 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lazarus Initiative 14
    Lazarus immediately ducks behind the nearest cover and grabs his rosette. Closing his eyes, he focuses on Lucinia and Barik and uses the warp to link their minds with his. The added perspectives should give them an edge over the mutants.

Spoiler: Focus Power Test
    Show
    Psychic Communion, Upon success, +2 Initiative to me and those I choose, to a maximum of 2.
    Ordinary (+10) Willpower Test, +10 for having my Psy Focus, not pushing but also not limiting my PR. (+-0)
    Willpower 48+20=68
    (1d100+20)[63]
    Last edited by janusmaxwell; 2017-07-16 at 06:38 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Lucinia drops her chainsword and las pistol, draws her long las, and begins taking aim at the mutants.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    free actions: drop weapons, quick draw long las
    full action aim

Current avatar by me

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

The lead Gunner gets a bullet through him and he drops to the ground, dead as a stump. The Loader, however, takes up the Gunner's position and unleashes a hail of fire at the squad.

Show

Loader is using Suppressive Fire on Full Auto
    BS test at -20
    (1d100)[15]

Damage
    (1d10+4)[13] Pen 3

The other mutants open up as well

Show

All shots are on single and they need to get under a 51

2 Mutants firing at Vanthus
    BS Test +20
    (1d100)[68]
    (1d100)[51]

Damage
    (1d10+3)[4]
    (1d10+3)[4]
    Pen 0

2 Mutants firing at Barik
    BS Test at +20
    (1d100)[29]
    (1d100)[64]

Damage
    (1d10+3)[9]
    (1d10+3)[8]
    Pen 0

2 Mutants firing at Lucinia
    (1d100)[63]
    (1d100)[68]

Damage
    (1d10+3)[6]
    (1d10+3)[10]
    Pen 0
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2017-07-18 at 06:38 PM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

Although none of the shots hit him, the incoming fire - particularly the heavy stubber - sends Vanthus looking for cover. He wasn't quite used to heavy weapons being fired his way.

Spoiler
    Show

As per the rules for being Pinned, moving into cover as my only Half action.

WP (+0) test to recover, TN 32: (1d100)[36]
    That's both WP tests only failed by 5 or less.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2017-07-18 at 07:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Barik has been shot enough times before to recognise the feeling and will scramble into the minor cover offered by the railing before he gets hit again.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show

Half Action - Move towards the railing to take cover
    Reaction - Rolled in advance to dodge the first hit to connect

Evasion (Dodge)
    vs. Ag 41
    (1d100)[100]