New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

A 330

Nope, and clerics aren't automatically proficient with their deity's favored weapon either, only those with the war domain are.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q331

Is there something similar to rapid reload, but that applies to slings?
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

Q 332

Is there a Greater version of Imbue With Spell Ability, or anything that would allow a similar effect for spells of higher level than that spell allows for?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Titan in the Playground

Q 333: What is the name of the power that is the Psionic Equivalent of Magic Vestments?

B 334: Psi Cystal + Shared Pain + Vigor. Is there a way to keep the Crystal running Vigor all day other than the Incarnum Recharge trick?
    "I Burn!"

5. - Top - End - #605
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q335

In the SRD a fullplate is said to include gauntlets.
    Does a mithral fullplate include mithral gauntlets? Or does it include mundane non-masterwork steel gauntlets?

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

A 335

The gauntlets are included, so they are made from the same material as the rest of the armor. They are also masterwork however this status does not provide an attack bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The masterwork quality of a suit of armor or shield never provides a bonus on attack or damage rolls, even if the armor or shield is used as a weapon.
    As far as I can tell, the books are silent on whether such a gauntlet can be enchanted as a magic weapon.

7. - Top - End - #607

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 335
    As far as I can tell, the books are silent on whether such a gauntlet can be enchanted as a magic weapon.
    Gauntlets are listed as weapons.
    Mithral gauntlets count as masterwork.
    Masterwork weapons can be enchanted.
    This seems straightforward to me, anyway I'll ask my DM about this part, thank you.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Dwarf in the Playground

A331
    To the best of my knowledge and googling, there is no such feat.
    However, you could take quick draw and carry each of your sling bullets in a sling. The sling is free and weightless, so there isn't any penalty for carrying one for each of your bullets. The only issue is enhancing your slings becomes expensive.
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Q 332

Is there a Greater version of Imbue With Spell Ability, or anything that would allow a similar effect for spells of higher level than that spell allows for?
    A 332
    There is no real greater version of Imbue With Spell Ability that I know, however a few other spells can do things similar with higher-level spells, though often with different mechanics.

Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability (Complete Arcane) for example, is an arcane version that works only on a wizard's familiar.

Some rarer spells, like Spellmantle (Player's Guide to Faerűn) can do some interesting combo, though you have to jump through a few loops.

The most interesting/versatile is Shalantha's Delicate Disk (Lost Empires of Faerűn), allowing up to 5th-levels spells to be cast by someone different than the caster.

Otherwise, it's more the domain of magic item creation (especially potions, wands, scrolls, etc.), though Use Magic Device may often be required. Note that the Rings of Spell Storing can be very interesting.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 336

Is there any printed Spell Trigger item with charges per day?

11. - Top - End - #611
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Q337

Cleric Spells per day:

A cleric can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table 3—7: The Cleric. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score (see Table 1—1: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells, page 8). A cleric also gets one domain spell of each spell level he can cast, starting at 1st level. When a cleric prepares a spell in a domain spell slot, it must come from one of his two domains
    Does this means that a Cleric 1 - Archivist 4 would get one domain spell slot from levels 1st to 3rd? As she can cast spells up to 3rd level...

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 337

No, it refers only to her Cleric spells, as it is a Cleric class feature and cannot affect the spells you might gain from another class.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #613

Q 338

Is a character immune to all poisons (like a 9th-level Druid) also immune to drugs (as introduced in the Book of Vile Darkness)?

More specifically, is he immune to...

A) both the negative and positive effects (whether initial or secondary)?

B) the side effects?

C) the effects of an overdose?

D) the risks of addiction?

E) the satiation (if already addicted)?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

14. - Top - End - #614
    Troll in the Playground

A 338
    Literally the first two sentences in that section of the book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Book of Vile Darkness, page 41
    Drugs function like poisons, allowing the imbiber an initial and a secondary saving throws to resist their effects. Delay poison, neutralize poison, and similar effects negate or end a drug’s effects, but they do not restore hit points, ability scores, or other damage caused by the substance.
    So yes.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

15. - Top - End - #615

Q339

Does a target that successfully saves from:
    a) Suggestion
    b) Charm
    Knows they were subject to magic, if there is no obvious sign, aka, wizard mumbling in front of their faces?

Does such apply to Detect Thoughts/Brain Spider? Does the target know someone attempt to read his thoughts? If he fails, does he know someone is reading them?

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

Q340

What's the penalty, if any, for using an inappropriately sized shield?
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Dwarf in the Playground

A399
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB177
    A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack.
    This applies to all magic.
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 341

Can Ysgardian Heartwire (BoED) be incorporated into a suit of armor made of a different special material (say, a Mithral Shirt)?

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 342

What does Enlarge Person does(abilities, attack, AC and all that staff) to a Large humanoid?

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSnake'sCha View Post
    Q 342

What does Enlarge Person does(abilities, attack, AC and all that staff) to a Large humanoid?
    A 342

It works exactly the same regardless of the character's normal size. You become one size larger, get the written bonuses and penalties, and have the space and reach normal for a character of your increased size.

I'm honestly confused why you think it does something different than what the text says....
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    A 342

It works exactly the same regardless of the character's normal size. You become one size larger, get the written bonuses and penalties, and have the space and reach normal for a character of your increased size.

I'm honestly confused why you think it does something different than what the text says....
    because of this
    This spell causes instant growth of a humanoid creature, doubling its height and multiplying its weight by 8. This increase changes the creature’s size category to the next larger one. The target gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size.
    it look like it should be base on a table I can't find so I wanted to ask instead of doing something wrong.

22. - Top - End - #622

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 341

Can Ysgardian Heartwire (BoED) be incorporated into a suit of armor made of a different special material (say, a Mithral Shirt)?
    A 341

The text states it may be added to a suit of armor, so yes.

Q 343

When using two monsters of the same type in the same battle, the effective CR of the battle increases by 2. Each time you double the number of creatures, present it increases by another 2. How do you calculate this with creatures of less than 1 CR, like a gibberling or a dog?

23. - Top - End - #623
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 344

Will a creature attempt extremely difficult climb checks(over lethal drops)to flee if they're Frightened?

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goladar View Post
    Q. 344

Will a creature attempt extremely difficult climb checks(over lethal drops)to flee if they're Frightened?
    A. 344

Yes/No. To quote the SRD
    A frightened creature flees from the source of its fear as best it can. If unable to flee, it may fight. . . A frightened creature can use special abilities, including spells, to flee; indeed, the creature must use such means if they are the only way to escape
    The creature can choose whether to go the path of the check, or somewhere else. If the creature doesn't consider the climb check as a path, then they are cornered and forced to fight.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

25. - Top - End - #625
    Troll in the Playground

Q 345

Where are the rules for sleeping?

Show

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 346

A sorcerer has a Howler via the Improved Familiar feat. He decides to cast Alter Self on his familiar and being an outsider, the Howler chooses Dwarf Ancestor (MM IV, p. 52) form.

Reading the spell, you lose all natural attacks you had and use the new form's natural attacks. A dwarf ancestor does not have natural attacks (his entry indicates a manufactured weapon, an axe as his form of attacking). The Howler does not manufactured weapons available so, other than the hefty Natural AC bonus upgrade, would it be able to attack somehow with natural attacks in this new form?

27. - Top - End - #627
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 347

I remember reading about these "weapons" for animals. For example, you could equip them with metal talons over their regular talons (much like a gauntlet on a humanoid). These "weapons" could be made masterwork, magic, and even of different metals to help against DR.

Can anyone give the book reference?

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 347

I remember reading about these "weapons" for animals. For example, you could equip them with metal talons over their regular talons (much like a gauntlet on a humanoid). These "weapons" could be made masterwork, magic, and even of different metals to help against DR.

Can anyone give the book reference?
    A 347

There are probably others, but off the top of my head, Dragonslayer Claws (dragon Magic p.93), although they bestow a negative level on non-dragon creatures.

29. - Top - End - #629

BarbarianGuy

Because it hasn't been answered yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    Q 324
    According to the DMG p. 151 and MotP p. 11, in sections about Layered Planes, Plane Shift always drops you onto the first layer of a layered plane. It then ends this section with:

All layers of a plane are connected to the Astral Plane, so travelers can reach specific layers directly through spells such as astral projection. Often the first layer is the one most hospitable to planar travelers.
    If one were to Plane Shift to the top layer of Baator (1st layer, Avernus), is there anything that would prevent you from Teleporting to some other layer, such as Dis or Minauros, assuming you've seen such locations via scrying, etc.?
    Q 348
    A paladin with the Spirited Charge feat is wielding a longsword that normally deals 1d8+9 damage in a normal, unmounted attack. When he performs a mounted charge, does the longsword deal (1d8+9)*2 damage, or 2d8+18 damage?

Q 349
    The FCI demonic possession rules state this:
    If a [possessing] fiend’s body is attacked or moved while it is in this state, the fiend becomes immediately aware of the tampering and can return to its body as a free action.
    Is there anything that can prevent an incorporeal/possessing fiend from returning to it's body? It's not described as a teleportation effect. Would a Dimensional Anchor, for example, prevent the incorporeal fiend from leaving its current location, and returning to its body?

Q 350
    The fiendish possession rules from FCI are a little wonky when it gets to the point of the fiend being both incorporeal AND ethereal. It states things that are clearly contradictory to normal incorporeal beings.
    A fiend in this incorporeal form that moves around on its body’s plane has no access to its normal suite of abilities. It has its normal hit points and saving throw bonuses, but it lacks its extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities. It does retain its normal suite of melee attacks, but they are made as melee touch attacks, and it does not add its normal Strength bonus on damage rolls (since it has no Strength score while incorporeal). While incorporeal on the Ethereal Plane, it has its full range of special attacks and special qualities, attacks normally, and deals full normal damage.
    Contradictory to the mere incorporeal state, it says it attacks normally, and deals full normal damage, implying it has a Strength score in this state. Having "its full range of special attacks" also would mean something like a Marilith would be able to use its improved grab and constrict abilities against an Ethereal opponent, which would normally not be the case for an incorporeal foe.

Is this correct? The possession rules seem such a contradiction to the normal incorporeal rules that I can't tell what the right answer is.
    Last edited by ksbsnowowl; 2017-11-27 at 09:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 348

Neither. You deal double damage with the melee weapon, not with any other bonuses such as strength or power attack.

A +1 Longsword instead of dealing 1d8+1 as normal, deals 2d8+2 instead.