New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by Nion View Post
    Q230

What kind of action is it to remove a patch from a Robe of Useful Items? I'm thinking it's a Move Action, but is it possibly a Standard Action? A Swift Action? A Free Action? An Immediate Action? a Full Round Action?
    A 230

Unless stated otherwise in the description, activating a magic item defaults to being a standard action.

Robe of Useful Items
    This appears to be an unremarkable robe, but a character who dons it notes that it is adorned with small cloth patches of various shapes. Only the wearer of the robe can see these patches, recognize them for what items they become, and detach them. One patch can be detached each round. Detaching a patch causes it to become an actual item, as indicated below.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Activating a magic item is a standard action unless the item description indicates otherwise.
    The Rules Compendium (p.84) gives the specific example of a Robe of Useful Items as a "manipulation" type activation method which, again, defaults to a standard action.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q231:

A mimic hits with its slam attack. Does it's crush ability trigger?

(Adhesive ability says "[it] automatically grapples any creature it hits with its slam attack". Crush says "with a successful grapple check". On one hand, we have a grapple going on, on the other it says "automatic", which might imply no actual check being made.)

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q232:
    a) A prismatic sphere stops spells. I assume that also includes the wizard casting it teleporting outside, but is that so?
    b) The prismatic sphere is described as being only a semisphere normally ("Typically, only the upper hemisphere of the globe will exist, since you are at the center of the sphere, so the lower half is usually excluded by the floor surface you are standing on"). Does it mean that you can actually teleport out because the teleportation effect can move through the ground?
    c) basically my situation is this: a warrior with a handful of spells (single use tattoos, having one with teleport is a fairly common safety net in my world) is dimensional anchored and about to be defeated. He cast prismatic sphere to stall for time, then he tries to leave by teleporting - the only spells he has available. His enemies are outside, waiting for him to make his move, and dismissing the sphere takes a standard action, so he would be killed before he can teleport. Can he get out of that? Is there a single spell that would otherwise let him get out of that, possibly a low-level one (as those tattoos are very expensive)?
    Note: the warrior could use a forcecage instead, it would be easily escapable, but it would also be broken by a single disintegrate, so not a good idea.

P.S. I hope it's simple enough to fit here; I considered opening a thread for it, but it seemed a small enough question.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

A 232 There's nothing about a Prismatic Sphere that would prevent teleportation.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Q 233

After I make a Ride check to use my mount as cover, how do I end that condition so that I can attack/cast again?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

A 233: Either a move or free action, depending on your ride skill check.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Mount/Dismount a Steed
    Mounting or dismounting from a steed requires a move action.
    Fast Mount or Dismount
    You can mount or dismount as a free action with a DC 20 Ride check (your armor check penalty, if any, applies to this check). If you fail the check, mounting or dismounting is a move action instead. (You can’t attempt a fast mount or fast dismount unless you can perform the mount or dismount as a move action in the current round.)
    Because you can end that condition by either dismounting completely or remounting completely, that's your action type.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 234

Aside from (Lesser) Infernal Transformation and Incarnation of Evil, are there any Cleric spells (specifically general Cleric, not only available through a Domain) that allow the caster to assume the form of another being? The lower level, the better.

8. - Top - End - #428

BarbarianGuy

Q 234
    Does Break Enchantment end a Vampire's (Su) Dominate ability on a dominated PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Supernatural Abilities
    Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break Enchantment
    This spell frees victims from enchantments, transmutations, and curses. Break enchantment can reverse even an instantaneous effect. For each such effect, you make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level, maximum +15) against a DC of 11 + caster level of the effect. Success means that the creature is free of the spell, curse, or effect. For a cursed magic item, the DC is 25.

If the spell is one that cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, break enchantment works only if that spell is 5th level or lower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire's Dominate
    Dominate (Su): A vampire can crush an opponent’s will just by looking onto his or her eyes. This is similar to a gaze attack, except that the vampire must use a standard action, and those merely looking at it are not affected. Anyone the vampire targets must succeed on a Will save or fall instantly under the vampire’s influence as though by a dominate person spell (caster level 12th). The ability has a range of 30 feet.

And bumping this because of the page turnover:

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    Q 224

What information could a spellcaster with Greater Arcane Sight glean from a page containing a Sepia Snake Sigil?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane Sight
    This spell makes your eyes glow blue and allows you to see magical auras within 120 feet of you. The effect is similar to that of a detect magic spell, but arcane sight does not require concentration and discerns aura location and power more quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greater Arcane Sight
    This spell functions like arcane sight, except that you automatically know which spells or magical effects are active upon any individual or object you see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia Snake Sigil
    The hidden sigil cannot be detected by normal observation, and detect magic reveals only that the entire text is magical.

9. - Top - End - #429

A 235 (there're two 234 above)

I would say yes. Break Enchantment is not specifically limited to spells, as given by the line "spell, curse or effect". Supernatural abilities are not normally susceptible to Dispel Magic, but Break Enchantment has a specific caveat for that, and a power equivalent to Dominate Person is considered like a 5th-level spell, thus it is covered. You need to make the caster level check against DC 23, and you'll free a companion of a vampire's influence.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #430

Q 236

The Martial Study feat grants a martial maneuver usable once per encounter. It is specified that if the character later gains level in a martial adept class, the recovery method of the class doesn't cover the maneuver gained earlier through the feat.

However, what if the character also pick the Adaptive Style feat? It allows to change and ready maneuvers as a full-round action, as opposed to the usual five minutes needed. Does it also concern the maneuver granted by Martial Study? Is it recovered if it was already used during the encounter?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #431
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q237 If I use fusion, can I then use fusion on another creature while still fused.

12. - Top - End - #432

A 237

You should be less vague when asking a question. I suppose you're implying the 8th-level psychometabolic psychic power "Fusion", right?

In this case, it falls under the rule for stacking effects (which is essentially the same for spells than for psionic powers), in the category "Same Effect with Differing Results" (since you're trying to fusion with two different creatures).

From the SRD: "The same power or spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. The last effect in a series trumps the others. None of the previous spells or powers are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell or power in the series lasts."

The first Fusion isn't dispelled, but its effects become irrelevant; the Fusion doesn't end, meaning the first subject stay fused, but the manifester lose all the advantages of it in exchange for fusing with another creature. The second Fusion has all the normal effects, as if the manifester wasn't fused to begin with. When the duration of the first Fusion expires, the first fused creature reappears, but the second Fusion is unaffected.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2017-10-05 at 04:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 238

With the following quote in mind:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD:Light Generation
    Fully 30% of magic weapons shed light equivalent to a light spell (bright light in a 20-foot radius, shadowy light in a 40-foot radius).
    If there's a batch 50 of magic arrows, do 30% of these 50 glow, or does the batch have 30% chance of glowing?

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

A 238: The batch has a 30% chance if found randomly.

A batch of 50 arrows is considered a single item when created as a magic weapon, so it's all or nothing.

That said there's a caveat. Should a PC make the batch of arrows themselves it's up to them if they glow.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Creating Magic Weapons
    At the time of creation, the creator must decide if the weapon glows or not as a side-effect of the magic imbued within it. This decision does not affect the price or the creation time, but once the item is finished, the decision is binding.
    This would also apply if the arrows were specifically commissioned by the PC, or within the game world they play, perhaps an NPC is known for either flashy effects on weapons or has a reputation for working with the thieves guild and prefers subtelty.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

15. - Top - End - #435

Q 239

The skill trick "Back on Your Feet" allows one to stand up from prone as an immediate action.

I am wondering, what if an opponent with Improved Trip manages to trip the character with the skill trick? The opponent get an immediate melee attack against the tripped one; can "Back on Your Feet" be used just after the trip and before this additional attack, to deny any malus for being prone?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

A 239

Yes. An immediate action can interrupt the normal sequence of actions.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q 240

If a lifeleech otyug casts a healing spell on itself, does it get healed again?

What if someone else heals it?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q241
    Do Valenar Charge and Cavalry Charger combined allow you to attack everyone in your path once, as long as you successfully Overrun them?
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2017-10-07 at 03:22 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 242

When I want to know how much loot I need to give to my PCs, What level do I use for WBL?
    Character Level?ECL?Class Levels?

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

A 242: ECL.

The expected wealth by level is found in the DMG and is not part of the OGL, so I'm not gonna post it. But it's based off of the total of racial HD + LA + sum of class levels.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

A 241

Assuming you mean Valenar Trample, yes.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 243

What is Encounter Level and where can I read about it?

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

A 243

The Encounter level is a measure for judging how difficult an encounter is. Details can be found in the DMG on pages 48 through 51.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q 244

Is there any way(feat, class, etc) for a character to be able to deal sneak attack damage with a ranged weapon (or ranged weaponlike spell) due to being in flanking position?

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q245

Can the tainted scholar's ability to turn it's primary casting stat into taint apply to divine casting AND/OR arcane casting.
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

26. - Top - End - #446

Q 246: Is there any way to get the ability to castPhantom Steed before 5th level? Specifically, for entry into Knight Phantom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    Q 246: Is there any way to get the ability to castPhantom Steed before 5th level? Specifically, for entry into Knight Phantom.
    A 246

As far as I can tell, it does not appear on any class list earlier than 3rd level (Bard 3, Deathmaster 3, Hexblade 3, Knight of the Weave 3, Magewright 3, Merchant Prince 3, Savant 3, Sha'ir 3, Sor/Wiz 3, Spider Domain 3, Windrider 3).

I can't see it on any Initiate feat spell list or Bloodline feat list.

I can't think of any early entry tricks that would let you access any of these before 5th - not to say there isn't a way, but I can't think of any.

28. - Top - End - #448

BardGuy

A 246

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    Well... do Spell Like Abilities count? Using a Dragonmark of House Orien and the Dragonmarked Heir prestige class, I think you might be able to get a castable version of Phantom Steed by level 4.

------

Q 247

A) If one has a wand of a spell that has a peculiar requirement, such as a racial requirement or dragonmark requirement (say, the spell Summon Marked Homunculus in the book Dragonmarked), does one need to meet the requirement to cast the spell from the wand, or is that requirement met at the time of item creation (such as with a spell with a costly material focus)?

B) If a wand with such a requirement has variable capability (again, like how the Summon Marked Homunculus spell gets better the stronger your Dragonmark is), is that wand's effect locked in at the level of requirement that was used to make it (usually defaulting to the weakest for randomly rolled treasure), or is there some way that someone with a more powerful dragonmark/requirement could get the stronger version?
    Last edited by Afgncaap5; 2017-10-09 at 02:27 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    A 246Well... do Spell Like Abilities count? Using a Dragonmark of House Orien and the Dragonmarked Heir prestige class, I think you might be able to get a castable version of Phantom Steed by level 4.
    A 246 continued

Yes, they do. Good find!

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Arcane p.72
    A requirement based on a specific spell measures whether the character or creature in question is capable of producing the necessary effect, and as such, invocations and spell-like abilities that generate the relevant effect meet the requirements for specific spell knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Nations p.41
    Special: Ability to cast phantom steed.
    [edit] Dragonmark Heir has reqs of at least 7 ranks in two skills, so cannot be entered before ECL 5...unless there is early entry methods I'm not aware of. [/edit]

30. - Top - End - #450

BardGuy

A 246 continued

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    [edit] Dragonmark Heir has reqs of at least 7 ranks in two skills, so cannot be entered before ECL 5...unless there is early entry methods I'm not aware of. [/edit]
    Ack, right... that's a complication.

I'm not an early entry person, but I've heard tell of some weird alchemy by which bloodline levels from Unearthed Arcana increase skill point caps? A quick scan of the basics on bloodlines doesn't say that to me exactly, though I do note something about class features being increased. I'm also not sure if a bloodline level actually counts as a level or not, that might be a fruitless endeavor.