New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

A263
    The Warforged Domain from Faiths of Eberron allows for this.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 264

Is there any way to bypass Crit immunity of creatures such as Undead, Oozes, and those wearing armors of Heavy Fortification?

Q 265

For the Targeteer Fighter's (Dragon 310) ability "Sniper", do I have to be able to use the iterative attacks to benefit from it? Say, can a Fighter 11 use this ability with a Heavy Cross bow to make its crit range 17~20?

Q 265-B

Do you suffer penalties from feats such as Rapid Shot when using this "Sniper"ability?
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2017-10-16 at 01:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

A 264 Partial Yes.

The Rogue ACF "Penetrating Strike" (Dungeonscape, pg 13) lets them deal half their normal sneak attack dice to such creatures, but only when flanked and not when they lose Dex to AC.

The Magic Item Compendium has a few Greater Weapon Crystals that can do that for specific types of creatures. Demolition for Constructs, pg 65; Truedeath for Undead on pg 66.

Others might exist, but I don't know about them.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 266

If I cast Polymorph Any Object on my familiar (say, a Raven), and permanently change it into a Willora (City of Splendors p.141, tiny magical beast), is there any rule that says it can no longer serve as my familiar? Assume my Raven familiar has an Int of 14. Would I be required to take the Improved Familiar feat?

5. - Top - End - #485
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q 267

A Human Barbarian has a speed of 40 feet.
    A Catfolk Barbarian has a speed of 50 feet.
    A Human Duskblade under the effect of Swift Expeditious Retreat has a speed of 60 feet.

What are their speeds if they wear a Breastplate?

6. - Top - End - #486

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A 264 additions

There are also three spells.
    Golem Strike is a wiz/sor 1 spell and allows you to sneak attack constructs.
    Grave Strike is a cle/pal 1 spell and works with undead.
    Vine Strike is a dru/rng 1 spell and works with plants.
    These spells are all cast as a swift action and last for a single round.
    They have been printed in Complete Adventurer and reprinted in Spell Compendium.
    Last edited by noce; 2017-10-17 at 04:48 AM.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Question 268

if certain races (such as the goliath) get the powerful build quality do they get a bonus on special attacks due to size?
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-10-17 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Fixed question number
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Question 268

if certain races (such as the goliath) get the powerful build quality do they get a bonus on special attacks due to size?
    Answer 268: Yes. Using the Half-Giant as an example:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noce View Post
    Q 267

A Human Barbarian has a speed of 40 feet.
    A Catfolk Barbarian has a speed of 50 feet.
    A Human Duskblade under the effect of Swift Expeditious Retreat has a speed of 60 feet.

What are their speeds if they wear a Breastplate?
    A 267

30, 35, and 40 feet respectively.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

10. - Top - End - #490

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A 249 partial

Not to my knowledge.
    Another similar problem not covered in rules is if a Large creature can increase its reach wielding a Tiny spiked chain, or the like.
    Here, it is stated that a Large creature gains the benefit of a reach weapon only if that weapon is at least of Large size, and so on.
    Based on this, a creature could gain cover from a tower shield only if that shield is at least of its size.
    This is totally not covered in the core rules.
    Last edited by noce; 2017-10-17 at 01:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

Q 269

Less RAW and more reference, but in what book is the Magic-Blooded Template?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

12. - Top - End - #492

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A 269

Dragon #306, which is considered 3.0 material.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 270

Many swarms are listed with "Immunity to Weapon Damage."

One of my players has a cleric/monk type build for fisticuffs.

Unarmed Strike: By RAW, is it "weapon damage"? More to the point, are Swarms with Immunity to Weapon Damage therefore immune to Unarmed Strike?

I know a Monk's UAS is "considered" a weapon for most purposes, but I wasn't sure if it got to also be counted as "not a weapon" for the rare benefits like bypassing weapon damage immunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

14. - Top - End - #494

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A 270

They're immune to weapon damage, unarmed strike damage, and natural weapon damage.
    They're just immune to damage done by weapons and natural weapons.

It's like trying to disperse a bee swarm punching bees one by one.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q271: is there a limitation on the number of ioun stones you can have?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Q271: is there a limitation on the number of ioun stones you can have?
    A 271

RAW, no.

But I have seen a houserule by some DMs that once the number gets quite high, the player suffers penalties to Spot and Search checks, and even a miss chance when attacking.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 272

Are extra damage dice - such as from Sneak Attack or Iaijutsu Focus - multiplied when a Monk uses Decisive Strike (PHB2 p51)?

Please provide the RAW text that matches your answer

18. - Top - End - #498
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q273

Does an archmage high arcana ability to change a spell to a spell like ability qualify as "innate spell like ability" for purposes of Supernatural transformation (Savage species)

19. - Top - End - #499
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 274

Can you mix and match the UA Monk fighting styles?

Say, get the 1st level of Sleeping Tiger for Weapon Finesse, and the second level of Hand and Foot for Deflect Arrows?

Q 274b

If you already have the bonus feat granted (say, you have Weapon Finesse when you take you first level in Sleeping Tiger Monk), nothing happens, right? You don`t get another feat, not even Improved Initiative

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 274

Answering my own question, you can pick up different bonus feats, but doing so negates the Skill Bonus the school gives you and disallows you from getting the Bonus Ability at lv 6

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by mlanier View Post
    Q273

Does an archmage high arcana ability to change a spell to a spell like ability qualify as "innate spell like ability" for purposes of Supernatural transformation (Savage species)
    A 273

This is an often debated issue. "Innate", in regards to SLAs, is never truly defined by RAW. There is no entry for "innate" in the official glossary. Rules Compendium also lacks any real game definition of "innate". Neither of those sources, in the defintion of SLAs, make any dictinction between SLAs granted by class levels or feats, and those granted by race/template.

Some of the fluff text/reqs for various PrCs in Savage Species (Master of Flies, Siren, Sybil) would seem to imply "innate" = racial. In the PHB, "innate" usually seems to apply to racial abilities, such as a Dwarf's Stonecunning, or Gnome's racial bonus to saves against Illusions. However, a Sorcerer's ability to cast spells is also described as "innate".

It's a DMs call, but many argue that SLAs granted by class or feats, rather than race/template, are not truly innate for the purposes of Supernatural Transformation.

TLDR; ask your DM.

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q275: several clarifications on grapple:
    a) When you would get an attack of opportunity, can you use it to start a grapple attempt? If you can, do your opponent get an attack of opportunity against you? If you use that technique to interrupt a spell, what happens to the spell? Automatically failed because the caster cannot finish casting while grappling? Not failed (if successful concentration check) because the grapple takes place after the spell is complete?
    b) When you are using one of your multiple attacks per round to initiate a grapple, do you get the penalty on the hold check too? As a monk, can I use flurry of blows to make an extra grapple attempt?
    c) When moving into the opponent space, do I provoke an attack of opportunity even if the movement is a 5-foot step? Do I provoke the attack if I have improved grapple? If I use acrobacy or spring attack?
    d) Do monks lose their WIS bonus to AC when grappled? Can rogues and monks use (improved) evasion while grappling?
    e) If someone from outside attacks a grappling character, are there any other effect besides the loss of DEX to AC? Shouldn't all participants in the grapple get cover anyway? I remember reading somewhere that attacking a grappled character carries a 1 in 4 chance of hitting another character in the grapple, but I can't find the rule anymore. Was it an old rule that got changed later or I just imagined things?
    f) If I choose to try to damage my opponent with an opposed grapple check (the "damage your opponent" option) does that count as a single attack or as a standard action? Can I use that option to deal damage more than once per round? Can I use flurry of blows to use that option more?
    g) is trying to pin an opponent equivalent to an action or to an attack?
    All the manualo says is "Some of these actions take the place of an attack (rather than being a standard action or a move action)" but it's not very clear which are which.
    Last edited by King of Nowhere; 2017-10-23 at 08:59 AM.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 276

Is there any benefit from drawing a hidden weapon using Sleight of Hand? Is the enemy flat-footed or Dex denied for example?

24. - Top - End - #504

BarbarianGuy

Q 277

If a PC character goes to the Plane of Mirrors, a mirror-self copy of the character is created, who senses* where the PC is, and tries to hunt him down and kill him. If it kills the PC, it can escape the Plane of Mirrors.

The mirror-self knows the location of its original self, but the reverse isn’t true unless the two meet. The mirror-self also has the memories of the original at the moment of creation, including which mirror the original used to enter the Plane of Mirrors.
    Once the two meet, and the PC gains the sense of "know[ing] the location" of its mirror-self, is this sense ever lost (if the PC is killed, etc.)?

The PC is killed, the mirror-self escapes, and the PC's party later gets him raised from the dead after leaving the Plane of Mirrors. Does the PC still sense where his mirror-self copy is?

What fashion does this knowledge take? Is it like Discern Location, where he simply knows the name of the place the mirror-self is? Or is it just a sense of where the mirror-self is in relation to the PC ("he's 20 feet that way, so he must be behind that door.")? Does it work across planes?

I'm tempted to treat it as the Revenant's Find the Guilty ability:
    Find the Guilty (Ex): So long as a revenant and its killer are on the same plane of existence, the revenant will know which direction its killer can be found in and how far away he is. Depending on the magical abilities of the base creature, this extraordinary sense may even work across planar boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowere View Post
    Q275: several clarifications on grapple:
    a) When you would get an attack of opportunity, can you use it to start a grapple attempt? If you can, do your opponent get an attack of opportunity against you? If you use that technique to interrupt a spell, what happens to the spell? Automatically failed because the caster cannot finish casting while grappling? Not failed (if successful concentration check) because the grapple takes place after the spell is complete?
    b) When you are using one of your multiple attacks per round to initiate a grapple, do you get the penalty on the hold check too? As a monk, can I use flurry of blows to make an extra grapple attempt?
    c) When moving into the opponent space, do I provoke an attack of opportunity even if the movement is a 5-foot step? Do I provoke the attack if I have improved grapple? If I use acrobacy or spring attack?
    d) Do monks lose their WIS bonus to AC when grappled? Can rogues and monks use (improved) evasion while grappling?
    e) If someone from outside attacks a grappling character, are there any other effect besides the loss of DEX to AC? Shouldn't all participants in the grapple get cover anyway? I remember reading somewhere that attacking a grappled character carries a 1 in 4 chance of hitting another character in the grapple, but I can't find the rule anymore. Was it an old rule that got changed later or I just imagined things?
    f) If I choose to try to damage my opponent with an opposed grapple check (the "damage your opponent" option) does that count as a single attack or as a standard action? Can I use that option to deal damage more than once per round? Can I use flurry of blows to use that option more?
    g) is trying to pin an opponent equivalent to an action or to an attack?
    All the manualo says is "Some of these actions take the place of an attack (rather than being a standard action or a move action)" but it's not very clear which are which.
    A 275

a) Yes, you can start a grapple as an AoO. See Table 8-2, right column, on page 141 of the PHB.
    Action Type Varies
    Disarm7 (page 155) Yes
    Grapple7 (page 155) Yes
    Trip an opponent7 (page 158) No
    Use feat8 Varies

7 These attack forms substitute for a melee attack, not an action. As melee attacks, they can be used once in an attack or charge action, one or more times in a full attack action, or even as an attack of opportunity.
    Trying to grapple someone does provoke an AoO, unless you have Improved Grapple. If your foe has an AoO remaining (which he likely does, since he's in the middle of his turn, so his one AoO per round just got refreshed), he can take it, and if he damages you, he stops your grapple attempt.

If the spell being cast has a Somatic component, and the AoO grapple succeeds, then yes, the spell is prevented. If it does not have a Somatic component, the caster would get to make a Concentration check to complete the casting despite the interruption.

The grapple takes place before the casting of the spell (AoO's interrupt the action that triggered it).
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p 137
    An attack of opportunity “interrupts” the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn).
    For a converse example, see Robilar's Gambit, which has specific language delaying your AoO until after the triggering action is resolved.

b) If a DM wanted to maintain uniformity in the grapple rules, he could have you suffer iterative attack penalties to your grapple checks on the initial hold, but technically that doesn't come into effect unless you have already reached Step 4: Maintain Grapple. So the RAW answer to your question is, "No."

I'm not sure on the Flurry of Blows part. I'd lean toward "no," but that's not a RAW answer in any way.

c) The movement into an opponent's space isn't a five-foot step. Movement that isn't a 5-foot step always provokes from those that threaten you (but not your now-grappled opponent, since he no longer threatens an area).

Step 4: Maintain Grapple. To maintain the grapple for later rounds, you must move into the target’s space. (This movement is free and doesn’t count as part of your movement in the round.) Moving, as normal, provokes attacks of opportunity from threatening opponents, but not from your target.
    d) A monk "loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless..." Immobilized isn't defined in the core rules (as such, we can disregard this being the same as the immobilized condition that was introduced in ... MM5 or some earlier splat book), so we must look at the English common definition:
    1 prevent (something or someone) from moving or operating as normal.
    Given the common definition, a grappled monk would be considered immobilized. Especially because of this, under the "Grappling Consequences heading:
    No Movement: You can’t move normally while grappling.
    Improved Evasion only ceases to work if the Rogue is helpless. Grappling does not make characters helpless, so improved evasion would still work.

e) Grappled targets lose their Dex to AC (and it seems Monks, etc, would also lose their Wis to AC). No cover is gained. The 50%* chance to hit the wrong target is only imposed upon ranged attacks into a grapple, not melee attacks. See Table 8-6 on page 151 of the PHB:
    Defender is . . . Melee Ranged
    Grappling (but attacker is not) +01 +01,3

3 Roll randomly to see which grappling combatant you strike. That defender loses any Dexterity bonus to AC.
    Because the spacing is likely mucked up, note that footnote 3 only appears in the ranged attack column.

* 50% assuming two grapplers. It is an equal chance per grappler, so roll a d3 if there are three grapplers, etc.

f) Damaging your opponent is an attack, so takes place of one of your iterative attacks, assuming you have a BAB of +6 or higher. Yes, you can do it more than once per round; If you have a BAB of +13, you could attempt it three times on your turn, at relative bonuses of +13, +8, and +3.

Not sure on Flurry of Blows. It would be the same as the Flurry answer to question B.

g) Pinning your opponent uses one of your iterative attacks.

If the action doesn't say otherwise under each specific type of grapple action, it takes the place of an iterative attack. Note using the Escape Artist skill, under "Escape from Grapple," which specifies it is a standard action. Also see "Draw a Light Weapon," which specifies it is a move action.
    Last edited by ksbsnowowl; 2017-10-24 at 12:38 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

A276 Partial yes

It's a standard action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, so it removes the AoO.

EDIT: Corrected by heavyfuel.
    Last edited by Ianuagonde; 2017-10-25 at 12:33 PM.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ianuagonde View Post
    A276 Partial yes

It's a standard action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, so it removes the AoO.
    Drawing weapons don't provoke normally. Neither does drawing shields

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Re: 276

I think there are one or two Skill Tricks in Complete Scoundrel related to Sleight of Hand and catching a foe flat-footed when drawing a hidden weapon.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q278
    If one wished to craft mundane ammunition that were also art objects what craft skill(s) would be involved?

Would one craft the ammo first then decorate it?
    If so, would one make 50 arrows then decorate them one by one?

29. - Top - End - #509

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q278
    If one wished to craft mundane ammunition that were also art objects what craft skill(s) would be involved?

Would one craft the ammo first then decorate it?
    If so, would one make 50 arrows then decorate them one by one?
    A 278

The crafting order would depend in what way they are art objects.

If you are making arrows, then painting them, you would first make them (Craft: Bowyer/Fletcher check), then you would decorate them (Craft: painting).

If you are making them structurally unique (arrows with carvings along the shaft, or a spiral flute cut into the shaft), I imagine you'd make a combined check, effectively making the the Craft: Bowyer/Fletcher check and the Craft: Woodcarving check simultaneously. Failing either would likely ruin it for the purposes of being a functional piece of artwork, though it still might be passably useful, depending upon which check failed (i.e. - fail the woodcarving check, and you might be able to still make a usable arrow out of it).

Edit: Yes, I imagine each arrow would require its own decoration check.
    Last edited by ksbsnowowl; 2017-10-25 at 03:22 AM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q279

Can you grapple a ghost if your natural weapons are considered magical?