New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

A266

The rules on familiars seem to specify rules for aquiring them ( As long as you are able to *acquire* a new familiar) not keeping them. After aquiring if it's changed it would remain your familiar and you wouldn't need the improved familiar feat to keep them.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q280

a. Can a fire Shugenja use a scroll of a water spell?

b. Can a fire Shugenja take the Order of the Gentle Rain?

c. If a fire Shugenja takes the Order of the Gentle Rain, does he learn every spell of the order or just the spells not under the water list? (i.e. Augury, Commune, Soul Bind)

3. - Top - End - #513

MindFlayer

Q281

Could warlock use eldritch glaive to hit dimunitive swarm?

Specifically I need to interpret MM1 page 237.
    Last edited by ayvango; 2017-10-26 at 05:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 282

I've often read in these forums that unconscious creatures are considered "willing" for the purpose of spells and effects.
    It came up in my last session but skimming through the SRD I couldn't find the passage where this is actually spelled out.

So my question is: are unconscious creatures willing? Please provide book and page for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by mlanier View Post
    Q279

Can you grapple a ghost if your natural weapons are considered magical?
    A 279

Incorporeal creatures can't be grappled because they are, well, not corporeal.

Magical attacks can destroy incorporeal creature because of their intrinsic ontological qualities, not because they somehow make the creature become corporeal. A magical sword will *swush* through a ghost just like a non-magical one. The difference is that the magical sword will have an effect on the creature.

(That is a fluff Explanation of the the RAW that is: incorporeal creatures can't grapple and can't be grappled. Full stop.)
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2017-10-27 at 06:06 AM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Q283

Can a Cleric have more than 1 patron deity? If so, can she select domains from diferent ones? or acces PRCs that require patron to have a patron deity?

6. - Top - End - #516
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

A 282

PHB page 175, the Aiming a spell section, under Target or targets.
    Last edited by Ianuagonde; 2017-10-27 at 01:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #517

Imp

Q284

The spell Celestial Brilliance states "Evil outsiders, as well as undead creatures that are specifically harmed by sunlight, take 2d6 points of damage each round in the bright light."

Does this mean any outsider with an evil alignment, or only outsiders with the evil subtype, suffer this damage?

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 284

It means any Evil-aligned creature of the Outsider type. Outsiders with the Evil subtype will count as Evil and take the same amount of damage regardless of whether or not their alignment is actually Evil.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 285

The description of the Salvo poison is as follow:

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Scoundrel
    Salvo: The fortuitous creation of a poisoner with little skill, salvo is a weapon of the imprecise and desperate. The poison is relatively cheap and easy to create, but its effect fluctuates wildly from dose to dose.

Salvo deals 1d4 points of initial and secondary damage to a random ability score. Determine the affected ability by rolling 1d6 and consulting the following table; roll once per dose. The poison’s type and save DC do not vary.
    A) If I am reading it right, the roll to determine which stat is affected is not when a creature is struck, but when a dose of the poison is created (or found). Is it correct?

B) If A is true, then is there a way to determine which stat a dose of Salvo will affect before using it? (For example, would Detect Poison be of help?)

This is more significant than it looks at first glance, since poisons affecting Intelligence of Charisma are quite rare and in the most expensive range, while Salvo is cheap in comparison. (And Int-affecting poisons are very efficient on animals, while Cha-affecting can be on some vermins.)
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #520
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NoAnonimo View Post
    Q283

Can a Cleric have more than 1 patron deity? If so, can she select domains from diferent ones? or acces PRCs that require patron to have a patron deity?
    A283
    By RAW, a Cleric can have one diety, or none.
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

Q 286

How long does the unconsciousness from the initial damage of Drow Poison last?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Orc in the Playground

A286 For one minute, or until the the character is made to roll the second saving throw. Succeeding at the second saving throw ends all effects of the poison, failure extends the unconsciousness for 2d4 hours.

Q287 Does a creature count as its own ally? specifically, does the Eviscerator Feat from Libris Mortis effect the person that you hit with the critical?
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    I think I would agree with Boggartbae

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

A 287

Generally yes, unless specified otherwise:
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p.304
    ally: A creature friendly to you. In most cases, references to “allies” include yourself.
    Since the feat description makes no exception for the target, it is shaken as well.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2017-10-29 at 07:08 AM.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boggartbae View Post
    A286 For one minute, or until the the character is made to roll the second saving throw. Succeeding at the second saving throw ends all effects of the poison, failure extends the unconsciousness for 2d4 hours.
    Citation please?

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

15. - Top - End - #525

Q 288 Is there any mammalian animal with a burrowing speed, other than Wolverine, Badger or, Dire Badger?

The higher its HD & CR, the better. Also, plus points if it doesn't have an inherent suicide attack.
    Fantabulous Duskblade avatar by linklele, for which I am eternally grateful.
    Previous avatars composed by Nathan, Ivius and Threeshades, for what I am eternally grateful, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buufreak View Post
    Cookie cutter racial cheese aside, we should probably keep an eye on the whole "Dwarf only" bit of the OP. But hey, that's just me. Everyone feel free to throw out more op tricks that are 100% topic irrelevant. :P

16. - Top - End - #526
    Orc in the Playground

A288

Is the Juggernaut Dogmole big enough?
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/mon...juggernaut-kp/

Edit: Sorry I thought this was the pathfinder thread
    Last edited by Boggartbae; 2017-10-30 at 04:27 AM.
    LGBTitP

17. - Top - End - #527

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HisHighestMinio View Post
    A283
    By RAW, a Cleric can have one diety, or none.
    A283 Clarification

Clerics can also worship pantheons, if a pantheon exists in their setting. See the Olympian, Pharoic, and Asgardian pantheons in Deities and Demigods, as well as the Sovereign Host and Dark Six pantheons in Eberron.

In the case of such pantheons, the cleric can usually choose any domains offered within the pantheon, and the pantheon will typically have a pantheonic favored weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode
    A 279

Incorporeal creatures can't be grappled because they are, well, not corporeal.

Magical attacks can destroy incorporeal creature because of their intrinsic ontological qualities, not because they somehow make the creature become corporeal. A magical sword will *swush* through a ghost just like a non-magical one. The difference is that the magical sword will have an effect on the creature.

(That is a fluff Explanation of the the RAW that is: incorporeal creatures can't grapple and can't be grappled. Full stop.)
    I can think of two incorporeal creatures off the top of my head that explicitly CAN grapple. The Crimson Death (MMII) and the Shadow Demon (BoVD/EtCR/EttDwP).

18. - Top - End - #528

A 286 correction

Quote Originally Posted by Boggartbae View Post
    Wrong. The SRD is clear (in the section for Poisons, paragraph "Secondary Damage"): "Unconsciousness lasts for 1d3 hours."

Unless noted otherwise, any poison causing Unconsciousness last 1d3 hours. Failing the second save against Drow poison mean the unconsciousness last longer, for 2d4 hours, superceding the first roll. But failing the first save and not the second still means 1d3 hours of unconsciousness.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q 289
    Can you intentionally fail a skill check?
    Last edited by Westhart; 2017-10-30 at 11:03 AM. Reason: 289, not 288
    Homebrew: If it is mine feel free to PEACH and/or use it.

Extended Signature

Well, it seems that life has deposited me here, yet again. Hopefully this time I get to stay a while, as I intend on revising some old homebrew.

20. - Top - End - #530

Chimera

Q290: I have checked throughout all of my books, the SRD, and goole-fu, yet I cannot seem to get a direct answer to this question. Where in the rules text does it state that the arcane casting of a spell with the [Evil] descriptor is an evil act? The closest thing I could find besides the limitation on Clerics and Druids (which prevents them from casting spells of opposed alignments in the first place) is a variant rule for a variant rule which replaces alignment with Taint and subsequently changes it so that the casting of an [Evil] descriptor spell increases Taint, but nothing in the rules that explicitly says that the arcane casting of a spell with the [Evil] descriptor is an evil act/cannot be done by a good-aligned arcane casters.
    Incarnum: VoP's best (and possibly only) friend.
    Spoiler: Quotes and Fun Links
    Show
    Spoiler: Quotes:
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Actually I got it from you, I just love how many applications it has. It can be oh so broken.

Formerly Lestroisrois. Shorten my new name however you wish; I've seen plenty.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NothingAbnormal View Post
    Q 289
    Can you intentionally fail a skill check?
    A 289

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 286 correction

Wrong. The SRD is clear (in the section for Poisons, paragraph "Secondary Damage"): "Unconsciousness lasts for 1d3 hours."

Unless noted otherwise, any poison causing Unconsciousness last 1d3 hours. Failing the second save against Drow poison mean the unconsciousness last longer, for 2d4 hours, superceding the first roll. But failing the first save and not the second still means 1d3 hours of unconsciousness.
    I asked about the initial unconsciousness, and as you yourself said, that section is on secondary.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2017-10-30 at 05:13 PM.

Show

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by Lestroisrois View Post
    Q290: I have checked throughout all of my books, the SRD, and goole-fu, yet I cannot seem to get a direct answer to this question. Where in the rules text does it state that the arcane casting of a spell with the [Evil] descriptor is an evil act? The closest thing I could find besides the limitation on Clerics and Druids (which prevents them from casting spells of opposed alignments in the first place) is a variant rule for a variant rule which replaces alignment with Taint and subsequently changes it so that the casting of an [Evil] descriptor spell increases Taint, but nothing in the rules that explicitly says that the arcane casting of a spell with the [Evil] descriptor is an evil act/cannot be done by a good-aligned arcane casters.
    A290

Here's some citations, although they're somewhat vague:

Quote Originally Posted by BoVD p.8 "EVIL ACTS"
    CASTING EVIL SPELLS
    Evil spells may create undead, inflict undue suffering, harm another’s soul, or produce any of a slew of similar effects.
    Sometimes, a nonevil spellcaster can get away with casting a few evil spells, as long as he or she does not do so for an evil purpose. But the path of evil magic leads quickly to corruption and destruction. Spells with corruption costs (see Corrupt Magic in Chapter 6) are so evil that they take a physical and spiritual toll on the caster.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOVD p.77 "EVIL SPELLS"
    Tapping into evil power is an evil act in and of itself, no matter what the effects or the reason for using the power might be.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 286 correction

A286 Correction Correction

Actually we're both wrong. Dndsrd.net, D20srd.org, and even the Dndwiki all say this:

"Initial Damage: The damage the character takes immediately upon failing his saving throw against this poison. Ability damage is temporary unless marked with an asterisk (*), in which case the loss is a permanent drain. Paralysis lasts for 2d6 minutes."

Granted, this says paralysis, and drow poison clearly says unconsciousness, but considering that the poison table has 3 mentions of unconsciousness with no durations, and ZERO mentions of paralysis, listed duration or otherwise, I believe that a the meaning is for the unconsciousness to last 2d6 minutes, especially because they do the same thing mechanics wise.

Links:
    http://dndsrd.net/abilitiesAndCondit...ml#drow-poison
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm

Edit: Quote from the SRD entry for drow under "Elf":

"Poison (Ex)
    An opponent hit by a drow’s poisoned weapon must succeed on a DC 13 Fortitude save or fall unconscious. After 1 minute, the subject must succeed on another DC 13 Fortitude save or remain unconscious for 2d4 hours."

The "or remain unconscious" wording implies that succeeding at the second save makes you conscious again, but I'm not 100% sure. It may be worth it to start a thread at this point.

Link: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm
    Last edited by Boggartbae; 2017-10-31 at 04:19 AM.
    LGBTitP

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 291

Excluding Lycanthrope, are there any templates (inherited or acquired) that can be applied to a Large Giant that would give it a Gore attack?

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 292
    I'm new to 3.5 so I'll probably swing by here a lot.

If I am wielding a spear in each hand and have only the rapidshot feat, can I make both attacks with my normal BAB or as if I am TWF? (aka with a -6 for the first attack and -10 for the second, on top of the -2 from rapidshot?)
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Troll in the Playground

A 292

Placing a hand on or removing a hand from an item you're already holding is a free action. By extension, switching an item from one hand to the other is the same (though I'm not aware of specific RAW on that exact detail) so you should be able to throw both without TWF penalties.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2017-10-31 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Typo.

Show

27. - Top - End - #537
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q293

How much would being immobilized decrease a Living Spell's CR, if at all?

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 294

Can a wizard cast a swift action spell like Wraithstrike if they are adjacent to an enemy with the Mage Slayer feat and not incur an Attack of Opportunity?

29. - Top - End - #539
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AlanBruce View Post
    Q. 294

Can a wizard cast a swift action spell like Wraithstrike if they are adjacent to an enemy with the Mage Slayer feat and not incur an Attack of Opportunity?
    A 294: Swift action spells do not provoke attacks of opportunity. Mage slayer doesn't allow any special attacks of opportunity, it just forces the failure of concentration checks to cast defensively. There's no need to cast a swift spell defensively, so Mage Slayer isn't relevant to the casting of a swift spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    typo report : panel 5, "pleather" I presume the p shouldn't be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You live an aesthetically blessed life.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Troll in the Playground

Q 295

Are Mirror Image and/or its Greater variant in any Cleric Domains?

Show