New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

A 295

None as far as I can see.

MI is Adept 2, Beguiler 2, Bard 2, Hexblade 2 and Sor/Wiz 2 only.

GMI is Beguiler 4, Bard 4 and Sor/Wiz 4 only.

You might be able to get it into an existing domain (possibly Trickery) using the Customize Domain feat (Dragon # 325).

2. - Top - End - #542
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Q 295

Are Mirror Image and/or its Greater variant in any Cleric Domains?
    No, sorry.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

A291

I found this Half-Minotaur template that's apparently from Dragon Magazine. excluding that, theres also the spell charge of the triceratops that might be allowed to become permanent if you ask your DM nicely

Links:
    http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/...minotaur.shtml
    https://dndtools.net/spells/spell-co...eratops--4017/
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    I think I would agree with Boggartbae

4. - Top - End - #544
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 295 Partial There is always the Spell domain (Forgotton Realms & D&D Glossary):
    Quote Originally Posted by Spell Domain
    3 Anyspell[For]: You can read and prepare up to a 2nd-level arcane spell from a scroll or spellbook in a 3rd-level domain spell slot.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 296 Do temporary HP stabilise you when you're below 0? Would the temp HP wearing off while you're below 0 cause you to need to start rolling for stabilisation?
    Last edited by GilesTheCleric; 2017-11-02 at 04:39 PM.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648

6. - Top - End - #546

MindFlayer

Q297. What are weapons reach for each size category? Namely reach for a sword, a lance, a whip.
    Last edited by ayvango; 2017-11-03 at 09:26 AM.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

A 297

I am too lazy to list all size categories, but you can figure them out yourself easily after my explanation

The sword does not modify the reach (e.g. if a creature's reach is 10 ft, its reach with a longsword is 10 ft as well)

The lance doubles the creature's reach (e.g. if a creature normally has 15 ft. reach, it has 30 ft reach with the lance)

The whip has a fixed reach of 15 ft. By raw this means no matter what reach a creature normally has, with a whip it has 15 ft reach.

8. - Top - End - #548

MindFlayer

I would be more specific. What reach would have small lance? Tiny lance?

9. - Top - End - #549
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q298: For a shield meant for shield bashing, if it's meant to be both a masterwork shield and a masterwork weapon does that mean that it has to have both the +300 cost for masterwork weapons and the +150 cost for masterwork armor?

Q299: If I'm taking the half-elf Fighter substitution levels from Races of Destiny, does the smaller hit die and expanded skill list apply to every level of Fighter I take, or only to the levels of Fighter that are affected by the ACFs?

Q300: Didn't quite get the answer I wanted on this earlier, so I'll rephrase it: If a spell has a special casting requirement (such as a racial one with the Furnace Within spell from Races of Eberron) does that casting requirement transfer to a wand (or similar magic item)? I'm aware that someone with UMD could circumvent a racial requirement, but I'm trying to discern if the requirement exists in the first place, or if that's one of those "up to the creator of the item" sorts of things.

10. - Top - End - #550

Quote Originally Posted by ayvango View Post
    I would be more specific. What reach would have small lance? Tiny lance?
    Table 8-4, PHB, p149.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

11. - Top - End - #551

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    Table 8-4, PHB, p149.
    That closes questions about a sword. What about lances and whips?

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ayvango View Post
    That closes questions about a sword. What about lances and whips?
    Do you even have a rulebook?

Lance:
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p. 117
    Lance4
    [...]
    4 Reach weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p. 112 f.
    Reach Weapons: Glaives, guisarmes, lances, longspears, ranseurs, spiked chains, and whips are reach weapons. A reach weapon is a melee weapon that allows its wielder to strike at targets that aren’t adjacent to him or her. Most reach double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square. A typical Large character wielding a reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away.
    So double whatever is in table 8-4.

Whip:
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p. 121
    The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).
    So it's 15 ft for every size category.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Afgncaap5 View Post
    Q298: For a shield meant for shield bashing, if it's meant to be both a masterwork shield and a masterwork weapon does that mean that it has to have both the +300 cost for masterwork weapons and the +150 cost for masterwork armor?

Q299: If I'm taking the half-elf Fighter substitution levels from Races of Destiny, does the smaller hit die and expanded skill list apply to every level of Fighter I take, or only to the levels of Fighter that are affected by the ACFs?

Q300: Didn't quite get the answer I wanted on this earlier, so I'll rephrase it: If a spell has a special casting requirement (such as a racial one with the Furnace Within spell from Races of Eberron) does that casting requirement transfer to a wand (or similar magic item)? I'm aware that someone with UMD could circumvent a racial requirement, but I'm trying to discern if the requirement exists in the first place, or if that's one of those "up to the creator of the item" sorts of things.
    A 298 Yes, though the Bashing shield enchantment can sidestep this to an extent.

A 299 Only the substitution levels.

A 300 Most of that kind of magic item already have components provided when they're created, so the requirement wouldn't exist for spell completion or spell trigger items of that spell.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

14. - Top - End - #554

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    A 298 Yes, though the Bashing shield enchantment can sidestep this to an extent.
    Thanks! I might go that route, then (although looking over options for shield spikes it looks like making those masterwork instead might be the better way to go considering the higher damage.)

15. - Top - End - #555

Q301

Saw it mentioned in a thread that one could wish to allow magic to function normally in a small region of an otherwise dead-magic zone. Source on this?

16. - Top - End - #556

Q 302

Is a stunned target effectively helpless? Asking if I can do a coup de grace on one.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrinblade View Post
    Q 302

Is a stunned target effectively helpless? Asking if I can do a coup de grace on one.

A 302

No and no.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm

Stunned

A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).
    Helpless

A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy. A helpless target is treated as having a Dexterity of 0 (-5 modifier). Melee attacks against a helpless target get a +4 bonus (equivalent to attacking a prone target). Ranged attacks gets no special bonus against helpless targets. Rogues can sneak attack helpless targets.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Q 303: Is there a feat that allows someone with Leadership to gain a second, perhaps slightly lower level, Cohort? If so, book and page number please?

Q 304: What book and page number is a prestige class called The Hellreaver in/on?
    Last edited by Metahuman1; 2017-11-05 at 01:39 AM.
    "I Burn!"

19. - Top - End - #559

DwarfBarbarianGuy

A303
    No. However, there are three feats that give you another cohort: Undead Leadership, Dragon Cohort, Wild Cohort.

A304
    Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells, p. 92.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 305: Are you aware when a buff spell you cast on yourself ends?

Example: Anticipate Teleportation

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 306

Does the Soulfire ASA counter the effects of the Shadow Curse (Su) posessed by Shadowbound Creatures?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Q307

Is it possible to polymorph into a swarm?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #563
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Q307

Is it possible to polymorph into a swarm?
    A. 307

No.

Let's start with what the spell can do.

This spell functions like alter self, except that you change the willing subject into another form of living creature.
    SRD- Polymorph

Let's see what Alter Self says

You assume the form of a creature of the same type as your normal form. The new form must be within one size category of your normal size. The maximum HD of an assumed form is equal to your caster level, to a maximum of 5 HD at 5th level. You can change into a member of your own kind or even into yourself.
    SRD- Alter Self

So you can turn into a single creature whose HD don't exceed your CL or HD.

Now, are swarms a valid form? Let's investigate!

What is a swarm?

Swarms are dense masses of Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creatures that would not be particularly dangerous in small groups, but can be terrible foes when gathered in sufficient numbers. For game purposes a swarm is defined as a single creature with a space of 10 feet—gigantic hordes are actually composed of dozens of swarms in close proximity. A swarm has a single pool of Hit Dice and hit points, a single initiative modifier, a single speed, and a single Armor Class. It makes saving throws as a single creature.
    SRD- Swarm

So a swarm is a group of many creatures all moving together.

If we look at the description for Alter Self, we see that only single creatures are valid forms. So the answer to your question is no, Polymorph does not allow you to take the form of a swarm. You may however take the form of a Diminutive or Fine animal or vermin.
    Last edited by Goladar; 2017-11-06 at 09:36 PM.

24. - Top - End - #564

BarbarianGuy

Q308

Can the identifying Spellcraft check to ID a Minor Schema be retried if it is failed the first time?

Minor Schemas require a Spellcraft check to ID them, much like a scroll:
    Determining what spell or infusion is recorded on a minor schema requires a Spellcraft check (DC 20 + the level of the spell or infusion). Read magic does not decipher a minor schema, though identify and similar spells will.

If the spell or infusion contained within a minor schema is on your class list, then you can activate that minor schema as a spell completion item (much like activating a scroll) once per day.

No mention of the Spellcraft check being able to be retried. However, the section on scrolls in the SRD doesn't mention being able to retry the check for scrolls, either.

It is mentioned in the Spellcraft skill itself:
    DC 20 + spell level
    Decipher a written spell (such as a scroll) without using read magic. One try per day. Requires a full-round action.
    Just checking my sanity, I guess. If the Spellcraft check is failed one day, it could be retried on the Minor Schema the next day, correct?

25. - Top - End - #565
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Q 306

Does the Soulfire ASA counter the effects of the Shadow Curse (Su) posessed by Shadowbound Creatures?
    A 306 This is an interpretation since there's no text on their interaction, but from my view Soulfire will not counter Shadow Curse's application but will prevent it from applying negative levels. Nothing about its application actually involves a death effect or negative energy, the negative energy is a side-effect afterward. So with Soulfire Armor, my interpretation would be that you can still be cursed and you'll feel all of the effects (No exp gain, compulsion to return to plane of shadow, etc.) except the negative levels.

A 308 Yeah, one try/day. The schema indicates a standard Spellcraft check, which means the default retry rules for Spellcraft apply unless it specifically says otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    typo report : panel 5, "pleather" I presume the p shouldn't be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    You live an aesthetically blessed life.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 309

Yathrinshee PrC have Curse of the Revenancer CF:
    Quote Originally Posted by Player's Guide to Faerűn
    Any creature slain by a yathrinshee of 5th level or higher rises immediately as a zombie under her control.
    a) Are there any restrictions? How many Zombies could be controlled this way? How much HD?
    b) What's exactly, count as "slain by a yathrinshee"?
    Killed...
    • ... with a physical attack?
    • ... with an AoE effect?
    • ... with a mechanical trap?
    • ... with some grand-scale diversion (start a fire/poison a well/release deadly and highly-contagious epidemy/...)?

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 310

Corrupted by the Abyss template (EttDP) adds +4 to the save DC of "every special attack the base creature has by virtue of it's race". Would this include innate casting (such as that of a Nymph)?

Q 311

Would a Nymph whose alignment becomes CE suffer any effect to her innate Druid casting?

28. - Top - End - #568

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 310

Corrupted by the Abyss template (EttDP) adds +4 to the save DC of "every special attack the base creature has by virtue of it's race". Would this include innate casting (such as that of a Nymph)?

Q 311

Would a Nymph whose alignment becomes CE suffer any effect to her innate Druid casting?
    A 310
    NYMPH
    Medium Fey
    Hit Dice: 6d6+6 (27 hp)
    Initiative: +3
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), swim 20 ft.
    Armor Class: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 14 Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+3
    Attack: Dagger +6 melee (1d4/19–20)
    Full Attack: Dagger +6 melee (1d4/19–20)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Blinding beauty, spells, spell-like abilities, stunning glance
    Spells: A nymph casts divine spells as a 7th-level druid.
    Yes, it would include innate casting.

A 311
    A CE Nymph would suffer no ill effect. She's not a Druid, and thus doesn't have a requisite neutral alignment need; the normal Nymph is CG anyway.

If you want a published example, find the Shadow of Shothragot article from Dragon (Dungeon?) sometime after it went digital. It has stats for a CE Corrupted (BoVD) Nymph Binder 3. Still had all her spells, etc.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q312
    Could an Intelligent Magic Item Spell Turret target itself?

Q312 b Could it do so with Polymorph or Fly?

30. - Top - End - #570

BarbarianGuy

Q313

Energy Transformation Field has an "SR: Yes" entry for Spell Resistance. If a Hezrou were to walk into the area of an ETF, and get grappled and locked down, but the ETF fails to overcome its SR of 19, could it use its Greater Teleport SLA to escape the grapple/escape the area?