New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 33

A) Does the Acrobatic Recovery ability of the Combat Acrobat feat (PH2) work against trip attempts? It says that you can make it against "an effect that causes you to fall prone" while the definition of tripped at the SRD says "A tripped character is prone." This is probably an unnecessary hair for me to split, but I like being certain; Is "is prone" the same as "caused to fall prone", basically. [As a DM I'd definitely let a player use that definition, but, as I said above, I like bein' sure.]

B) Assuming the answer to A is correct and given the 9 ranks in Balance already required, does this make a character who can manage a +11 bonus to Balance checks by virtue of feats, items, and the like more or less untrippable? (Barring things like enemies using spells or teamwork to impose negatives, of course.)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

A 33

Yes and yes.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Q34
    Sun Devotion states
    Quote Originally Posted by Complete Champion, p62
    The illumination radius is the same as that of a torch, but the light is true sunlight and affects creatures within a 10-foot radius as such. This effect lasts for 1 minute.
    Per its wording, it is true sunlight, should it affect undead with sun vulnerabilities as Vampires as if it were natural sunlight?
    Last edited by Yael; 2017-07-07 at 04:33 AM.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

4. - Top - End - #64

A34
    Unfortunately true sunlight is nowhere defined, so one can only assume by RAI that it works exactly as you mention.

PS: your Quote is from Complete Champion.
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2017-07-07 at 04:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    PS: your Quote is from Complete Champion.
    Fixed for future reviews.
    Thanks.
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q 35

Can a bag containing 10 flasks of alchemist fire be thrown all at once as an improvised weapon, dealing 10x the damage of a normal flask of alchemist fire?
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

A35

Not by RAW, no.
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Q36 If a poison deals flat damage to an ability score (as opposed to or alongside dice of damage) is that multiplied on a critical hit or similar?

Q37 The weapon rules say this with regard to inappropriately sized weapons.
    Inappropriately Sized Weapons
    A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder. If the creature isn’t proficient with the weapon a -4 nonproficiency penalty also applies.

The measure of how much effort it takes to use a weapon (whether the weapon is designated as a light, one-handed, or two-handed weapon for a particular wielder) is altered by one step for each size category of difference between the wielder’s size and the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed. If a weapon’s designation would be changed to something other than light, one-handed, or two-handed by this alteration, the creature can’t wield the weapon at all.
    How does the latter part interact with the Powerful Build ability? Could a Goliath wield a light weapon designed for a Huge creature as a one-handed weapon or one designed for a Gargantuan creature as a two-handed weapon? What would the penalty on attack rolls be for doing so?

Iron Chef Medals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sir Driscoll Conia - Silver - IC L

Nick Snarespan - Gold - IC LIII

Lucy "Legs" Silvertail - Bronze - IC LXVIII

Bolfarg of Knoss - Gold - IC LXXVII

Ivarr Deathborn - Bronze - IC LXXVII

Ahmtel - Silver - IC LXXVIII

Tocke of Nessus - Gold - IC LXXIX

The Blessed Third - Silver - IC LXXXI

Galahad Galapagos - Gold - IC LXXXIV

Sai-don, Knight of the Tide - Bronze - IC LXXXIV

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

A 36

Yes. Only extra damage dice are not multiplied

A 37

It does not interact. Powerful build only modifies the use of weapons of one size and that is those that are one size larger than the Goliath. So unless the Goliath becomes large or huge the ability gives no benefit for wielding huge or gargantuan weapons.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Q 38

Can a caster with the Shadow Weave Magic feat use Shadow Evocation or similar to emulate spells with the Light descriptor?
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

11. - Top - End - #71

A 38
    According to the description of Shadow evocation/invocation, it doesn't get the descriptor of the spell it's emulating, so RAW it's possible.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Q 39

Is there any RAW way to get a Worg as an Animal Companion?

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

13. - Top - End - #73

A 39

The leadership feat. It needs agreeing with your master about its advancement, though. There could be other ways, but none that I know.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A34

"True sunlight" doesn't need to be defined. It's just a normal word (sunlight) preceded by an adjective (true). You don't need in game definitions of every single word.

So yes, it can be used to slay a vampire.

Q 40

Is there a way to Take 20 in Knowledge checks?

This isn't as obvious though. I remember a splat book that gave some character the ability to use a library to this effect and it took a pretty long time. (or I'm remembering wrong)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q41
    Would dwarven Stonecunning still detect a stone trapdoor if the stone trapdoor were an animated object? What if the entire building were an animated object?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

A41
    Yes and yes. Stone animated objects probably count either as "unusual stonework" or "something that isn't stone but is disguised as stone."
    Physics in D&D is only superficially similar to real world physics.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Q13
    Can a summoned Elysian Thrush (BoED) charge the Energy Transformation Field (SC) which summoned it with it's healing song Su ability?

If so how long does it have to sing before the ETF eats the ability and the bird has to start again?
    The Elysian Thrush is from the Planar Handbook, not BoED.

A13: Yes, any Supernatural ability will be consumed by the ETF and fuel it. The ETF will consume the Supernatural song the moment the Elysian Thrush starts singing it (using the Thrush's standard action to start a Supernatural ability). The thrush could start singing again the very next round (and may try to, if it can notice that its song isn't functioning normally [maybe it sounds different without the magical component?]).

The times listed in the ability are times before the listeners gain any benefit; the supernatural song has been produced the entire time. In the case of the ETF, it would consume the magic the moment it is created, fueling the ETF with one spell level (due to the thrush's 1 hit die).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiri View Post
    Q26

A vampire has a Dominate special attack. A vampire lord has a Domination special attack. Does the vampire becoming a vampire lord get a new Domination ability or does his Dominate attack become Domination?
    A26: Addendum:

The Vampire Lord is a 3.0 prestige class (publish date of 2002). In 3.0 the base vampire's ability was called Domination; for some reason they changed the name to Dominate in 3.5. The discrepancy is merely an edition change oddity. Regardless, mattie_p's answer is absolutely correct.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If you're hit multiple times during the same spell (as when a group of archers all have readied actions to fire at spellcasters), does the damage stack for a single Concentration check, or do you make multiple Concentration checks?
    E.g.: If four archers fire at the same wizard, and do 3, 4, 4, and 5 damage respectively, does the wizard make one Concentration check at DC 26, or four checks at DC 13, 14, 14, and 15?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Q 42 If you're hit multiple times during the same spell (as when a group of archers all have readied actions to fire at spellcasters), does the damage stack for a single Concentration check, or do you make multiple Concentration checks?
    E.g.: If four archers fire at the same wizard, and do 3, 4, 4, and 5 damage respectively, does the wizard make one Concentration check at DC 26, or four checks at DC 13, 14, 14, and 15?
    A 42 Multiple.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2017-07-10 at 03:14 PM.

Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Thank you. Shame, though.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by Debatra View Post
    Q 39

Is there any RAW way to get a Worg as an Animal Companion?
    A 039 continued

Closest I can think of is the Beast Heart Adept PrC (Dungeonscape p.48), which can have a Worg as a Monstrous Companion. This is not an Animal Companion as such, but follows many of the same rules.

The Improved Familiar feat can also grant a Worg as a Familiar (CW, p.100).

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 40

This isn't as obvious though. I remember a splat book that gave some character the ability to use a library to this effect and it took a pretty long time. (or I'm remembering wrong)
    A 040 partial

The only reference I can currently find on taking 20 on Knowledge checks is Astral Caravan, which specifically calls out that you cannot take 20 on your Knowledge (the planes) check.

This could be interpreted as saying that on other checks such a stipulation does not apply, but I hesitate to call that RAW.

22. - Top - End - #82

A 40 addendum

Knowledge allows no retry, while taking 20 implies multuple uses of the same ability - this is another clue to rule this option out for knowledge checks.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 40

A 40: Yes. According to this nifty guide I just found.

The Favored in Guild feat will permit this under limited circumstances.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Q42

does raw have rules one way or the other on changing the base feats a monster has? (ie if you're not using advancement to give it extra HD, but are just changing its selection of feats, is that something you're not supposed to do, or are free to do, or is it unmentioned whether you should or not)
    Last edited by zlefin; 2017-07-11 at 12:13 PM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 42

You are free to alter the Feats that a monster has by virtue of its Hit Dice. The stat blocks simply show an example of a typical Feat selection for each creature. The exception is racial bonus feats, which are marked with a superscript B. These cannot be changed except through extraordinary means.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

26. - Top - End - #86

Q 43

Hello again:

Eberron Campaign Setting p. 13: "When using [Minor Shape Change] to create a disguise, a changeling receives a +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks."

SRD:
    Spoiler: Disguise Self
    Show
    Disguise Self
    Illusion (Glamer)
    Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1, Trickery 1
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 10 min./level (D)
    You make yourself—including clothing, armor, weapons, and equipment—look different. You can seem 1 foot shorter or taller, thin, fat, or in between. You cannot change your body type. Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you. You could add or obscure a minor feature or look like an entirely different person.

The spell does not provide the abilities or mannerisms of the chosen form, nor does it alter the perceived tactile (touch) or audible (sound) properties of you or your equipment.

If you use this spell to create a disguise, you get a +10 bonus on the Disguise check.

A creature that interacts with the glamer gets a Will save to recognize it as an illusion.

Do the bonuses on a disguise check stack if you use both abilities at once?

For instance, let's say a changeling uses the Minor Shape Change ability to physically change his face, and he also uses Disguise Self to create the illusion of different clothing, etc. Is the bonus on the disguise check +10, or +20?
    Last edited by Chester; 2017-07-11 at 04:50 PM.
    Warforged Avatar graciously provided by linkele!

27. - Top - End - #87

A 43

From the SRD: "Circumstance bonuses stack with all other bonuses, including other circumstance bonuses, unless they arise from essentially the same source."

Emphasis mine. Do you judge that minor shape change and disguise self are "essentially the same source"? I personally do, since combining the two effects gives the same result as using a single effect.

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleph View Post
    A 43

From the SRD: "Circumstance bonuses stack with all other bonuses, including other circumstance bonuses, unless they arise from essentially the same source."

Emphasis mine. Do you judge that minor shape change and disguise self are "essentially the same source"? I personally do, since combining the two effects gives the same result as using a single effect.
    The thing is, the bonus from Disguise Self is not specified as a circumstance bonus. That's part of my uncertainty.
    Warforged Avatar graciously provided by linkele!

29. - Top - End - #89

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    The thing is, the bonus from Disguise Self is not specified as a circumstance bonus. That's part of my uncertainty.
    Yes, but minor disguise is, and therefore it won't stack.

Read the whole sentence. A circumstance bonus stacks with ANY (not only those flagged as "circustance") bonus, unless they do basically the same thing.

EDIT
    Still, master's call (but in this case heavily biased).
    Last edited by Kaleph; 2017-07-11 at 05:27 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 43: They do not stack.

Minor shape Change for changelings is a specific ability which specifies:

Changelings have the supernatural ability to alter their appearance as though using a disguise self spell
    Emphasis mine. A source of bonus, even untyped, never stacks with itself (unless it explicitly says it does). The fact that the Changelings supernatural ability changes the bonus from untyped to circumstance doesn't change the source of disguise self .
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2017-07-11 at 08:25 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.