New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q #501

What damage is multiplied on a critical hit? I know weapon damage and the relevant ability modifier damage is multiplied, but would things such as morale/luck/sacred/enhancement bonus to damage be multiplied? How about something that adds another ability modifier to damage, such as Divine Might adding charisma?
    I don't always level dip, but when I do, I dip into commoner.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

A #500

Because it is said that you gain gate as a spell-like ability, you can use it in any facet of the spell (such as the calling function) without paying any XP.
    I don't always level dip, but when I do, I dip into commoner.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

A 501

Unless the ability in question says otherwise, everything is multiplied except extra damage expressed in dice. Only extra damage dice are not multiplied.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 498

Where can I find rules for visibility range? The spell "Cloudburst" from SpC says "The rain reduces visibility ranges by half" but I can't seem to find them
    Reposting from last page

5. - Top - End - #905
    Titan in the Playground

Q 502

If I jump down a tower with a damsel in distress in my arms and I have a Ring of Feather Fall, does the princess take falling damage and I dont? Or does it mess up my feather falling and both break our legs?
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Ogre in the Playground

Q #503: What does "access to" a cleric domain mean?

If I want to take a PrC that requires access to a particular domain, do I have to have selected that as one of my cleric domains, or can I just worship a deity that has that domain, but have taken two other domains?

e.g. Radiant Servant requires "access to the Sun domain". Can I worship Pelor and take the Strength and Travel domains instead, and still qualify (having "access to" the Sun domain, I can pick it up as the bonus domain at Radiant Servant 5)?
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

A 502

Best ask your DM. The PHB is silent on what happens if the recipient of feather fall is carrying a creature,
    [beyond RAW]it does however specify that the character can carry objects up to his maximum load and is slowed to a fixed velocity. the rules say nothing that carried creatures hinder the working of the spell so they should only be counted as weight.

If carrying a familiar in a pocket causes feather fall to not work, I am sure wizards would have already invented a better spell[/beyond RAW]

8. - Top - End - #908
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 502

The Ring works as a Caster Level 1 Featherfall, which only affects one creature.

However, 3.5 doesn't have rules for carrying live people around. So ask your DM if the damsel counts as part of your carrying capacity

A 503

If you chose different domains you don't have access to the ones you didn't choose.

You can work around this with the Substitute Domain spell (Comp Champ)
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2018-02-10 at 11:54 AM.

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    Q #503: What does "access to" a cleric domain mean?

If I want to take a PrC that requires access to a particular domain, do I have to have selected that as one of my cleric domains, or can I just worship a deity that has that domain, but have taken two other domains?

e.g. Radiant Servant requires "access to the Sun domain". Can I worship Pelor and take the Strength and Travel domains instead, and still qualify (having "access to" the Sun domain, I can pick it up as the bonus domain at Radiant Servant 5)?
    You have to have the domain as one of your domains, not just worship a deity that offers it.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    Q 498

Where can I find rules for visibility range? The spell "Cloudburst" from SpC says "The rain reduces visibility ranges by half" but I can't seem to find them
    There are several factors that influence visibility range (this list may not be exhaustive):

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Sandstorms
    A sandstorm reduces visibility to 1d10×5 feet and provides a -4 penalty on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
    Stealth and Detection Underwater
    How far you can see underwater depends on the water’s clarity. As a guideline, creatures can see 4d8×10 feet if the water is clear, and 1d8×10 feet if it’s murky. Moving water is always murky, unless it’s in a particularly large, slow-moving river.
    Stealth and Detection in a Forest
    In a sparse forest, the maximum distance at which a Spot check for detecting the nearby presence of others can succeed is 3d6×10 feet. In a medium forest, this distance is 2d8×10 feet, and in a dense forest it is 2d6×10 feet.
    Stealth and Detection in Plains
    In plains terrain, the maximum distance at which a Spot check for detecting the nearby presence of others can succeed is 6d6×40 feet, although the specifics of your map may restrict line of sight.
    Stealth and Detection in a Marsh
    In a moor, the maximum distance at which a Spot check for detecting the nearby presence of others can succeed is 6d6×10 feet. In a swamp, this distance is 2d8×10 feet.
    Stealth and Detection in Hills
    In gentle hills, the maximum distance at which a Spot check for detecting the nearby presence of others can succeed is 2d10×10 feet. In rugged hills, this distance is 2d6×10 feet.
    Stealth and Detection in Mountains
    As a guideline, the maximum distance in mountain terrain at which a Spot check for detecting the nearby presence of others can succeed is 4d10×10 feet.
    Stealth and Detection in the Desert
    In general, the maximum distance in desert terrain at which a Spot check for detecting the nearby presence of others can succeed is 6d6×20 feet; beyond this distance, elevation changes and heat distortion in warm deserts makes spotting impossible. The presence of dunes in sandy deserts limits spotting distance to 6d6×10 feet.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 505

Quote Originally Posted by Races of Stone
    Inexhaustible Stamina (Ex): At 9th level and higher, a peregrine runner is a paragon of fitness, able to run and climb ceaselessly. He has immunity to all fatigue and exhaustion effects.
    Questions:
    a) Does this immunity really includes all sources of fatigue and exhaustion? Say, Barbarian's rage? Sleeping in Armor? Touch of Fatigue?
    b) Should Peregrine Runner of 9+ level still make DC 10 Constitution checks to continue running?
    c) Does it still affects a 9-level Peregrine Runner?
    Run
    A character can’t run for an extended period of time.
    Attempts to run and rest in cycles effectively work out to a hustle.
    d) What's about the nonlethal damage from the Forced March?

12. - Top - End - #912
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 504

An eldritch claw attack isn't an unarmed strike. It's a natural weapon attack that deals damage equal to your unarmed attack damage plus eldritch blast damage.

You could use one or the other, but not both at the same time.

A 505

A) Yes. You're immune to all forms of fatigue and exhaustion

B) No. You can run and climb ceaselessly, which means you never have to stop.

C) No. See "B)"

D) Forced March isn't running or climbing, so you still take damage, but you don't become fatigued. A workaround is not doing a forced march, but running the entire distance instead.

13. - Top - End - #913

Q 506

If a weapon that has 1d8 damage + 1d6 fire damage hit a creature with damage resistance 5/-, does the 5/- apply to both the 1d8 and the 1d6 for a total of 10 damage reduction, or does it only reduce one of the two?

So if both dies hit for maximum, will the weapon do 8-5+6 = 9 damage, 8+6-5 = 9 damage, or 8-5+6-5 = 4 damage?

14. - Top - End - #914
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Inza View Post
    So are you saying the combo does not work then?
    I am. The combo does not work by RAW

Quote Originally Posted by someonenoone11 View Post
    Q 506

If a weapon that has 1d8 damage + 1d6 fire damage hit a creature with damage resistance 5/-, does the 5/- apply to both the 1d8 and the 1d6 for a total of 10 damage reduction, or does it only reduce one of the two?

So if both dies hit for maximum, will the weapon do 8-5+6 = 9 damage, 8+6-5 = 9 damage, or 8-5+6-5 = 4 damage?
    A 506

By "damage resistance 5/-" I assume you mean "Damage Reduction 5/-"

Damage reduction doesn't apply to energy damage, so the 5 points would only be reduced from the weapon's 1d8 damage.

In you example, the weapon would deal 8-5+6=9 damage
    Last edited by heavyfuel; 2018-02-11 at 01:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 507

Regarding the interaction between an Anima Mage’s ability to use “free Metamagic” once per five rounds... how does this interact with the Heighten Spell Metamagic? The ability states that it doesn’t use a higher slot... and Heighten raises the spell level to the slot of your choosing.

Does this mean that 1/5 rounds I can Heighten a spell to 9th level?

Edit: I meant up to 3 times per day, just re-read the ability. The rest of the question stands.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2018-02-11 at 02:04 PM.

16. - Top - End - #916

Q 508

If a weapon that has 1d8 damage + 1d6 fire damage hit a creature with hardness 8, does the hardness damage reduction apply to both the 1d8 and the 1d6 for a total of 16 damage reduction, or does it only reduce one of the two?

Quote Originally Posted by d20srd
    Hardness
    Each object has hardness—a number that represents how well it resists damage. Whenever an object takes damage, subtract its hardness from the damage. Only damage in excess of its hardness is deducted from the object’s hit points (see Table: Common Armor, Weapon, and Shield Hardness and Hit Points; Table: Substance Hardness and Hit Points; and Table: Object Hardness and Hit Points).
    Quote Originally Posted by d20srd
    Energy Attacks
    Acid and sonic attacks deal damage to most objects just as they do to creatures; roll damage and apply it normally after a successful hit. Electricity and fire attacks deal half damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness.
    Assuming both dies hit for maximum, would the resulting damage be 8-8+6/2 = 3 damage? Or 8-8+6/2-8= 0 damage?

The creature is a stone animated object.
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2018-02-11 at 02:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 508

Hardness applies for each damage instance. In your case the damage you're dealing with each attack is (8+6/2)-8=3

18. - Top - End - #918
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 508 correction

Hardness applies for each damage instance - the the fire and the physical damage are separate instances.
    In your case the damage you're dealing with the attack is 8-8+6/2-8= 0

19. - Top - End - #919
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A 508 correction

- the the fire and the physical damage are separate instances.
    A 508 - CONTENTION

Do you have any proof of that claim?

Both a Flaming Weapon (DMG) as well as a weapon affected by Burning Blade (ToB) say it's 1d6 points of extra damage. Extra means it's just an addition to the original damage. So 1 damage instance.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q509
    Do you gain Sr/ dr from polymorph?

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ettin in the Playground

A 509

Nope:
    It also gains all extraordinary special attacks possessed by the form but does not gain the extraordinary special qualities possessed by the new form or any supernatural or spell-like abilities.
    DR and SR are special qualities.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2018-02-13 at 01:17 AM.

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

A 509 correction

As per Rules Compendium (p.41), DR/aligned, epic, magic or special material are supernatural. DR/damage type (bludgeoning, slashing or piercing) or DR/- are extraordinary.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 510

Can a Goliath and a Kobold (with RotD web enhancement in play) occupy the same square by virtue of their respective Powerful/Slight build abilities?

Q511

Where is the rule prohibiting summoned creatures from using their own innate summon abilities printed?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
    Ugh. For the record, I hate you. I hate you very much.
    The Voidstone Arsenal

The Redeemery

Feat-buying resource

Magical Plants and Where to Find Them

Floating Disk Utility

Taking 10 resource

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 511

It's in the description of the summoning sub-school in the magic overview chapter of the Player's Handbook.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by Jowgen View Post
    Q 510

Can a Goliath and a Kobold (with RotD web enhancement in play) occupy the same square by virtue of their respective Powerful/Slight build abilities?
    A 510

No. While Powerful Build and Slight Build allow the creatures to be treated as being of different sizes for some calculations, their space and reach remain the same - they are only two size categories apart.

Quote Originally Posted by RoS p.56
    However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a
    However, the space and reach of a kobold remain those of a creature of their actual size.
    Square Occupied by Creature Three Sizes Larger or Smaller
    Any creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories larger than it is.

A big creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories smaller than it is.
    Ending Your Movement
    You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 512

This source lists St Cuthbert as having access to the Retribution and Wrath domains. Does anyone have an official citation for this?

I believe the forum member that compiled that list (Curmudgeon) is no loner active here, otherwise I'd ask directly. I know he set great store in RAW, so I'm assuming he got this from some kind of official source.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A 509 correction

As per Rules Compendium (p.41), DR/aligned, epic, magic or special material are supernatural. DR/damage type (bludgeoning, slashing or piercing) or DR/- are extraordinary.
    It does not matter whether they are supernatural or extraordinary. Neither is gained through polymorph.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2018-02-13 at 01:19 AM.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 512

This source lists St Cuthbert as having access to the Retribution and Wrath domains. Does anyone have an official citation for this?

I believe the forum member that compiled that list (Curmudgeon) is no loner active here, otherwise I'd ask directly. I know he set great store in RAW, so I'm assuming he got this from some kind of official source.
    A 512

I haven't tracked down the official source yet, but I do know that in Complete Divine p109 & 117 it mentions that St Cuthbert has Retribution as a porfolio element albeit not actually a domain. He's also repeatedly called the god of retribution in a few different sources. Spell Compendium gives you the freedom to assign domains listed within it as you see fit, and it seems very appropriate to him. That's the closest I've come.

Edit: According to the last published edition of Living Greyhawk, he had the following domains: Destruction, Domination, Good, Inquisition, Law, Protection, and Strength; however, no deity appears to have the Retribution domain, so that may not be authoritative as far as that domain goes.
    Last edited by Jeriah; 2018-02-13 at 01:45 AM.
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q 513

Do multiple impedence conditions stack from the impedence weapon enchantment (planar handbook). If so, and there are two durations does a caster casting a spell need to make 2 checks to overcome the impedence?

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Q 512

One of my current pet projects is to expand on Curmudgeon's deity list and catch the stuff he missed. Here is what I have so far. Wrath is from Dragon Magazine; I have yet to find the source that gives him Retribution.