New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    It does not matter whether they are supernatural or extraordinary. Neither is gained through polymorph.
    My mistake, I had misread the question and the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeriah View Post
    A 512

I haven't tracked down the official source yet, but I do know that in Complete Divine p109 & 117 it mentions that St Cuthbert has Retribution as a porfolio element albeit not actually a domain. He's also repeatedly called the god of retribution in a few different sources. Spell Compendium gives you the freedom to assign domains listed within it as you see fit, and it seems very appropriate to him. That's the closest I've come.

Edit: According to the last published edition of Living Greyhawk, he had the following domains: Destruction, Domination, Good, Inquisition, Law, Protection, and Strength; however, no deity appears to have the Retribution domain, so that may not be authoritative as far as that domain goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    One of my current pet projects is to expand on Curmudgeon's deity list and catch the stuff he missed. Here is what I have so far. Wrath is from Dragon Magazine; I have yet to find the source that gives him Retribution.
    Thank you both.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Q 514

Is it possible to counterspell an ongoing spell, such as wall of force?
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Q 514

Is it possible to counterspell an ongoing spell, such as wall of force?
    Only at the time of casting.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Q515

Tome of Battle question. Suppose you already have a Maneuver that requires another from the same discipline to learn, then on the next level you retrain that already learned maneuver for another of a different discipline. Is that a legal action?

The same would be if I had a Maneuver that requires two other from the same discipline, and then I swap one prerequisite Maneuver for another from a different discipline. Is that legal?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arakune View Post
    Q515

Tome of Battle question. Suppose you already have a Maneuver that requires another from the same discipline to learn, then on the next level you retrain that already learned maneuver for another of a different discipline. Is that a legal action?

The same would be if I had a Maneuver that requires two other from the same discipline, and then I swap one prerequisite Maneuver for another from a different discipline. Is that legal?
    Both are legal.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Thanks for the previous answer!

Q516
    How many attacks you can block using Wall of Blades? Can you block all iterative attacks from a full-attack, or just one of them?

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ettin in the Playground

A 516

Just one.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q517
    Is there a way for a Medium Crocodile (MM1, CR 2 Animal) to be able to use its Improved Grab ability on a Human? A feat, or something? By default, Improved Grab only works on smaller foes (in this case, Small and smaller) than the grappling monster, unless a monster's specific entry says otherwise, such as is the case for an Annis Hag (a Large creature that specifically can use Imp Grab on Large or smaller foes).

I'm gearing up to run a module that involves a crocodile as one of the memorable battles, and its listed tactics don't actually work, unless the PC's are all Halflings, etc.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    Q517
    Is there a way for a Medium Crocodile (MM1, CR 2 Animal) to be able to use its Improved Grab ability on a Human? A feat, or something? By default, Improved Grab only works on smaller foes (in this case, Small and smaller) than the grappling monster, unless a monster's specific entry says otherwise, such as is the case for an Annis Hag (a Large creature that specifically can use Imp Grab on Large or smaller foes).

I'm gearing up to run a module that involves a crocodile as one of the memorable battles, and its listed tactics don't actually work, unless the PC's are all Halflings, etc.
    Change it to a giant crocodile?

10. - Top - End - #940

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Change it to a giant crocodile?
    That would be overboard for the situation (1st-level PC's; CR 2 BBEG & CR 2 Crocodile pet) as it would up the EL from EL 4 to a strong EL 5. If I end up having 5 or 6 PC's instead of 4, then a Dungeonbred Giant Crocodile would probably be a good solution, but I'd really like other options (such as changing out a feat), in case I just have 4 PC's.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 517

The crocodile could be under effect of the Animal Growth spell.

If you feel it also doesn't fit your needs, you can start a separate thread to continue the discussion

12. - Top - End - #942

Q 518

Is Contingent Conjuration from Thaumaturgists restricted by the same spell level cap (6th level) as the Contingency spell? Or can the Thaumaturgist set a Summon Monster IX spell as his contingent conjuration?

Q 519
    Does the Contingent Conjuration have a 10min cast/prepare time? Or is it just the casting time of the summon spell in question?
    Last edited by RoboEmperor; 2018-02-16 at 04:27 AM.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by someonenoone11 View Post
    Q 518

Is Contingent Conjuration from Thaumaturgists restricted by the same spell level cap (6th level) as the Contingency spell? Or can the Thaumaturgist set a Summon Monster IX spell as his contingent conjuration?
    If you want to argue that the restrictions from contingency apply to Contingent Conjuration, you also have to argue that the other restriction—"must be [a spell] that affects your person"—applies as well. Clearly, as per the example given in the text, that is not the case. The only logical reading, therefore, is that the restriction on the spells you can cast is wholly replaced by the new limitation of "a summoning or calling spell."

Quote Originally Posted by someonenoone11 View Post
    Q 519
    Does the Contingent Conjuration have a 10min cast/prepare time? Or is it just the casting time of the summon spell in question?
    This, on the other hand, could be read both ways and still be functional with either reading. Expect table variation.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Titan in the Playground

Q 520
    Can a rogue or an exemplar pick Skill Mastery (Use Magic Device) to take 10 on UMD checks?
    I'm aware UMD is a skill that you cant take 10, but maybe its just for average magic device user?

(Also aware that Warlock can do it with Deceive Item, but there is no room for warlock in my idea).
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Q 520
    Can a rogue or an exemplar pick Skill Mastery (Use Magic Device) to take 10 on UMD checks?
    I'm aware UMD is a skill that you cant take 10, but maybe its just for average magic device user?

(Also aware that Warlock can do it with Deceive Item, but there is no room for warlock in my idea).
    A. 520
    Hardened criminal from city of stormreach p.95 can take 10 sooner. This is one of those RAW vs the average DM scenarios, where RAW appears to have your back, but it is entirely reasonable for a DM to nope it.

HARDENED CRIMINAL
    Prerequisite: Iron Will.
    Benefit: You cannot be intimidated. (Attempts to use the Intimidate skill against you always fail.) In addition, you can take 10 on any checks with one skill chosen at the time you take this feat, even under conditions when taking 10 would normally be impossible.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    A. 520
    Hardened criminal from city of stormreach p.95 can take 10 sooner. This is one of those RAW vs the average DM scenarios, where RAW appears to have your back, but it is entirely reasonable for a DM to nope it.
    Contention: A 520

Not being able to take 10 on UMD isn't a condition, it's a rule.
    Last edited by Goaty14; 2018-02-16 at 01:06 PM.
    Show

Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
    Q 520

Contention: A 520

Not being able to take 10 on UMD isn't a condition, it's a rule.
    It's not entirely clear in the text which rule is more specific (is it the specific ability that could apply to any skill, or the specific restriction on a particular skill?) or what's an exception to what (does Skill Mastery waive all restrictions on taking 10, or just "stress and distraction"?), and depending on how you interpret it, you could come up with different answers. As the rules are ambiguous, you should expect table variation.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-02-16 at 08:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

A 520

None of the other replies answered your question

But yes, Skill Mastery let's you take 10 with UMD.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    she may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so.
    "Even if" allows the mentioned prohibitions for take 10 (stress and distraction) but doesn't disallow different prohibitions (UMD or Knowledge skills)

The general rule is you can't take 10 with these skills. The specific rule is "character with skill mastery may take 10 in skills"

Specific beats general

Further discussion should be had in a separate thread.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Q521

I saw some materials referencing "swapping one maneuver for a stance", are they wrong or an I missing something?

20. - Top - End - #950

Q 522

Resilient Sphere.

A: Can one see through this "shimmering force"? Can gaze attacks be used through it?

B: Does sound go through a Resilient Sphere either?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Q223
    Does the spell Greater Celerity gives an extra turn?

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ettin in the Playground

A 223

No, Greater Celerity gives you another Full Round Action (or a Move Action and a Standard Action).

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q 224

A player in one of my games cast Bigby's Tripping Hand (PHBII) on a blink dog. What rolls do I need to make? More specifically, I'm confused whether or not the hand rolls miss chance against the blink dog.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #954
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Q 224

A player in one of my games cast Bigby's Tripping Hand (PHBII) on a blink dog. What rolls do I need to make? More specifically, I'm confused whether or not the hand rolls miss chance against the blink dog.
    A 224

There's no miss chance because Tripping Hand doesn't make an attack roll.

Instead of the usual touch attack, the spell forces a Reflex Save, which is rolled normally by the dog, and if it doesn't pass the save, then both the caster and the dog roll their opposing d20+bonus. Remember the dog gains +4 to this check for being a quadruped

25. - Top - End - #955
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q525: Can soulmelds from Magic of Incarnum be shaped or bound to a creature which does not have the associated body slots? For example, can a creature without a head benefit from soulmelds shaped to the crown chakra?
    Last edited by ApologyFestival; 2018-02-19 at 04:20 PM.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arakune View Post
    Q521

I saw some materials referencing "swapping one maneuver for a stance", are they wrong or an I missing something?
    Crusader, Swordsage, and Warblade all contain the following text as part of their Stances Known class feature: "Unlike with maneuvers, you cannot learn a new stance at higher levels in place of one you already know." This should prevent swapping a maneuver for a stance.

Quote Originally Posted by ApologyFestival View Post
    Q525: Can soulmelds from Magic of Incarnum be shaped or bound to a creature which does not have the associated body slots? For example, can a creature without a head benefit from soulmelds shaped to the crown chakra?
    See "Body Shape and Chakras" in Chapter Seven of Magic of Incarnum.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-02-19 at 04:13 PM.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #33: Doesn't everything popular die when 33?

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 522

Resilient Sphere.

A: Can one see through this "shimmering force"? Can gaze attacks be used through it?

B: Does sound go through a Resilient Sphere either?
    A 522

A: Undefined and No.

B: No.

Nothing can pass through the sphere, inside or out, though the subject can breathe normally.
    Underlining mine. In regards to seeing in or out of the sphere, I would say this is a DMs call.

28. - Top - End - #958

BarbarianGuy

Q526:
    Blink causes foes you attack to lose their Dex to AC. Although the spell goes quite in depth about varying degrees of miss chance based upon if a foe can see and/or strike ethereal creatures, it never touches upon the loss of Dex to AC again, or if being able to see ethereal creatures prevents a foe from losing its Dex to AC.

Does a creature with either See Invisibility or True Seeing still lose its Dex to AC when fighting an Arcane Trickster who is blinking?

Q527:
    Can either Control Weather or Control Winds be used to dampen or cease the winds of Pandemonium, if a party of PC's were to adventure there?
    Control Weather allows you to "call forth weather appropriate to the climate and season of the area you are in." It also "can do away with atmospheric phenomena (naturally occurring or otherwise) as well as create them." What are the limits here? Drop winds down to nothing? Or maybe only drop them a single wind category? Pandemonium is typically under Strong Winds*, but it does gust higher than this occasionally.
    Control Winds seems more straight forward. "You may create an “eye” of calm air up to 80 feet in diameter at the center of the area if you so desire, and you may choose to limit the area to any cylindrical area less than your full limit." Any reason this wouldn't work to create a stable area for a battlefield, etc?

* Wind strengths progress such: Light, Moderate, Strong, Severe, Windstorm, Hurricane, Tornado. Penalties to attacks and affects on creature movement start at Strong.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Q528:

Hi ! I have a question concerning the shadowcaster mystery clinging darkness from 3.5s Tome of Magics Shadowcaster class. It reads as follows:

Apprentice/dark terrain
    Level/School: 3/conjuration (creation)
    Range: close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Area: 20-ft.-radius emanation
    Duration: 1 minute/level (D)
    Saving Throw: Reflex negates; see text
    Spell Resistance: yes

Shadow oozes out of the floors, the walls, even the air, filling the area with wisps of writhing blackness. Creatures within the area become coated in these clinging shadows.

Any creature within the area affected by this mystery, or that enters the area on its turn, must make a Reflex save or become immobilized.

Each round on its turn, an immobilized subject can attempt a new saving throw to end the condition. Because of the subject’s condition, this save is a full-round action (but does not provoke attacks of opportunity). If an immobilized subject succeeds on its save, it still needs to save again at the start of its next turn in order to avoid succumbing to the darkness again.

Does it affect my allies ? And if it does, does it affect me as well ? Or do I automatically succeed on the reflex save because I cast it and know what to react to so to say ? If it affects both me and my allies I dont see why all the handbooks praise it so much, I debuff my allies as well after all.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 528 Anyone in the affected area.
    Quote Originally Posted by SealofDarkness View Post
    Any creature within the area affected by this mystery, or that enters the area on its turn, must make a Reflex save or become immobilized.
    Some spells and ability say "enemies", this one says "any creature" so yes it will affect you and your allies if you enter the affected area.

I would guess it gets praised (which is a bit wierd - I didn't think any of shadowcasting got praised) because if you cast it so that your opponents are at the edge (or your allies have reach weapons) your enemies get immobilised right next to your allies - hello coup de grace.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2018-02-20 at 08:45 AM.